Taking Measurements Questions
I recently bought the OminiMic v2 kit, which also came with a free tripod and 5.1 DVD as part of a Parts Express promotion.
I am mostly interested in 1) finding the best possible location for my subwoofer, and 2) helping with room treatments selection and analyzing the before and after room treatments effects on frequency response and Bass Decay.
To that end, I tried to take measurements using the Bass Decay tab but I got stuck pretty quickly with some basic questions. I did go through the thread but did not find (or maybe simply did not understand) what I was looking for so apologies in advance for the stupid questions.
When I use the Bass Decay tab, it asks me to play tracks 4, 10, 6. Each track seem to be about 3 and a half minutes long.
- Am I supposed to play each entire track and in succession, or just one beep/cycle per track?
- Do I pause the graph in between tracks to take measurements?
- Does anyone have a glossary of which track correspond to what frequencies? (e.g. track xx measures 20 to 80Hz). I am mainly interested in the bass region of the frequency response and may not want/need to plot a full response.
- Is it possible to just measure a segment of the frequency response, e.g. 20hz to 200hz?
Likewise the Frequency Response Tab requires to have tracks 2, 6, 12 (7, 8, 13, 14) played.
- What does this mean exactly? Play the tracks in succession? Why are some of the tracks in parentheses?
By the way, interesting enough, the DVD operates differently from the CD. For Bass Decay, for instance, there is only one track to play per speaker.
Sorry, basic stuff, but I have never used a measurement software and I am totally confused. What I did in the past was playing a test CD (with either sinewaves or pink noise at specific frequencies) that I have and measure each level with an SPL meter (Galaxy) to plot a curve. A very laborious process, which I was trying to avoid.
Many thanks in advance for the help.