RCA cable to banana plugs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on connecting RCA cable speakers to a receiver by cutting off the RCA connectors on the ends of the cables and splitting the wire into + and -. To strengthen the connection, I was planning on hooking up the cut RCA cable to banana plugs. Will this connection work, or is there some incompatibility between RCA cable and banana plugs?

Thanks,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
No. I'm guessing tour speakers are powered?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

No, the two RCA speakers are not powered. They normally attach to a powered CD/Radio/Tape player (not a receiver) that plugs in, but they do not plug in on their own.
post #4 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:

I'm planning on connecting RCA cable speakers to a receiver by cutting off the RCA connectors on the ends of the cables and splitting the wire into + and -. To strengthen the connection, I was planning on hooking up the cut RCA cable to banana plugs. Will this connection work, or is there some incompatibility between RCA cable and banana plugs?

Depending on the gauge of the wiring used in those cables, those RCAs could work just fine in place of regular (14ga.) speaker wire. You don't really need banana plugs - they're more for convenience and looks than strength or sound quality.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks eljaycanuck. I've been reading everywhere that you compromise a lot of long-term stability (risk of short-circuiting, sound degradation, etc.) by putting the speaker wire direct into speakers/receivers without clips or banana plugs on them. Guess it's just for Monster and others to make more money?

On that note, should I skip buying banana plugs for the satellite speakers I'm going to be plugging into the receiver? They'll be connected using straight-forward speaker wire, no RCA cutting for them.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and just to check: I can connect banana plugs to the stripped RCA cable, right? Would that be the same as connecting banana plugs to regular speaker wire?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I too have several small speakers with RCA connectors on the speaker wires.
If I were to connect them to an amplifier using banana plugs, I would use short lengths of a more robust wire from the banana plug to a female RCA jack.

Kevin
post #8 of 9 Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgaus51
I've been reading everywhere that you compromise a lot of long-term stability (risk of short-circuiting, sound degradation, etc.) by putting the speaker wire direct into speakers/receivers without clips or banana plugs on them.
As long as the individual strands in each wire are twisted tightly together so that they don't "stray" and make contact with metal parts other than the terminals they're attached to (or spring-loaded clips they're inserted into), there's no reason to expect short-circuiting or sound degradation.

Depending on the quality of the wire, the ends could oxidize slightly over time due to exposure to air, but that'll happen whether the wire is bare or stuffed into a banana plug. (I've read that some people cut their lengths of wire a bit longer so that, periodically, they can "freshen" the wire by cutting the oxidized ends off and stripping new ends.)

Quote:
On that note, should I skip buying banana plugs for the satellite speakers I'm going to be plugging into the receiver?
That's entirely up to you. I use banana plugs where it's most convenient (that is, where I expect I may be doing the most plugging/unplugging): At the receiver end of the wires, and at my front three speakers. The rest of my connections (at the surrounds speakers and all the wall-plates) are all bare-wire.

Quote:
Oh, and just to check: I can connect banana plugs to the stripped RCA cable, right? Would that be the same as connecting banana plugs to regular speaker wire?
Yup. Wire is wire.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-17-2010, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the help!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page