AVS Forum banner

the HouseWrecker. 11hz Twin CVX-15 Tapped Horn

118K views 421 replies 79 participants last post by  ellisr63 
#1 ·
Ok.

Thought I'd share a couple teaser pix of something fun I've been workin on recently.... Some of you may remember me from waaaay back. (theBeast MK-I, through Mk-IV - dr. Bass / etc).

As I am no longer affiliated professionally with TCS/Klipsch/B-52 Pro/AE Speakers- etc... and am now the 'senior acoustic' over at Kicker, I decided it was high time to start sporting some true blue Kicker. Well - that and share some fun stuff with my co-workers, friends, and show what a couple worthy woofers can do in a ULF Tapped Horn Subwoofer....... (We won't get to the Main speakers till later - but 120dB per tower capabillity L/C/R's flat from 28-21khz with phenominal power and polar response sure make for a fun system..
)

Tom Danley has always been a good friend (from distance) dating back to the old Servo Drive / Contra Bass days.. I respect his ability to think outside of the box and create magic with Bass. His DTS-10 Super Spud project was the kick off point for this little project. This is um..... Just an amplification of (and take off from) the DTS-10 Super Spud -and all the ensuing more and more popular tapped horn subwoofers.

Not yet having become competent with HornResponse / folding bass horns.... I cast about looking for someone who might be the perfect partner in crime to share in undertaking this project...

Enter Lil-Mike. I'm more than sure ya'll are familiar with him - he is a fantastic good human, and a wizard in HR to boot. The credit for the folding and tuning of this project rests solely on his shoulders - we've been back and forth at this for likely 6 months now. This is the most complex - craziest fold, highest performance tapped horn design he's been involved with yet.....

And so ya know - I am getting Excited. 'Modeled' we would need more than 6 of theBeast MK-IV's (You know - the double 18" actives, quad 18" passives..) to meet the performance of this below 14hz.... 4 of theBeast MK-I's at 16hz. I'm not going to even speculate above that....

Anyway - what follows are a glimpse of the project - where it sits today. I didn't want to start a thread till I was close to making noise with it. What we have here, is a....... BIG tapped horn. I have the luxury of having a Garage wall be the opposite side of my living room / HT (yes by design....).

The main body will live on the garrage side of the wall - with a cutout / and manifold projecting through to the living room. The last expansion will house the manifold, and live in the corner of the livingroom. I've already measured the manifold location v/s everywhere else in the room - and it's a great spot for the ULF.

You should be able to get the gist with the photo's. We will update pretty regularly as I make progress... Please feel free to pester either me or Lil mike with Questions. Prior to final assembly - I willl try to get it outside and do some ground plane real world measurements.

I have 156' between my garage and my neighbors with smooth driveways facing each other- with a 25' residential street between - we should be able to do 10M measurements no problem with resolution to ~~ 10hz with decent accuracy..

Anyway. 2.83V into the twin CVX-15's models at 90dB Spl 1m g.p. @20hz! 89.43dB 1m g.p. at 12hz............. Remember these are just the model. I won't even begin to speculate as to what..... peak SPL numbers.... or real world measurements will be till I have them measured and posted..

So far Lil-Mikes HR models predict Reality pretty well though.... In this case, the house will definitely be the limiting factor...

Double CVX-15 Tapped Horn 2.83V model - 2 pi 1 m.pdf 27.10546875k . file

Attachments

See less See more
#327 ·
Hey lilmike, radman, and DB-kicker- a bit off topic, but have you ever modeled this sub in any horn configurations? I have a pair just laying around that would be fun to put to work in such a configuration. Rockford power hx2 15.

Product Name: RFR3115

Nominal Diameter: 15 in (381 mm)

Magnet Weight: 203oz (5755 g)

Frequency Range: 22-200 Hz

Nominal Impedance: 2 x 2 Ohms

DC Resistance (Re): 2 x 2.16 Ohms

Resonance Frequency (Fs): 22 Hz

Total Q Factor (Qts): 0.38

Electrical Q Factor (Qes): 0.41

Mechanicql Q Factor (Qms): 5.837

Effective Cone Area (SD): 133 in^2 (0.86m^2)

Equivalent Air Volume (Vas): 3.47 ft^3 (98.4 L)

Compliance (Cms): 1.28E-04 m/N

Moving Mass (Mms): 13.56oz (384 g)

Voice Coil Diameter: 4 in (102 mm)

Voice Coil Winding Width: 1.98 in (50.3 mm)

Voice Coil Former Material: 5 Mil Aluminum

Voice Coil Inductance: 1.74 mH

Linear Excursion (Xmax) 0.74 in (19 mm)

Sensitivity (SPL): 87.9 dB

Operating Power (PE): 1000 W RMS / 2000 W Peak

#328 ·
theHouseWrecker 7.2 First before and after DSP throat measurement. I didn't make up for the high pass on the bottom = reason for small drop at LF post EQ. Teaching REW / Mini DSP use over the phone - trading curves through cell phone pics (home has no internet) is difficult at best.

#329 ·
Hey all. Been crazy busy but thought Id take a few mins to reply. We have build the latest version of the HW and i just wanted to voice my opinion on a few things. Deon and Mike have been an amazing resource during this project...without them I wouldnt never attempt a box like this. Ive been in the A/V industry for about 20 yrs and have always followed enthusiast websites such as this. This box design first intrigued me because it was unique and new to me.

Currently we have 1 of the HW in a dedicated room that is about 15.5 wide and 21 deep 9ft ceilings. were using sonance lcr1 front stage lcrs and surround lcr1 for surround in a 5.1 system. pioneer sc65 reciever and then using the HW and a mini DSP off a EP4000 for sub duties.

were currently dialing in the DSP and playing with tuning. I will be back at the job site today and hope to get it completely dialed in very soon.

I wanted to thank deon and mike for all the assistance thus far, Ive learned a lot about this design and most of all.....its been a lot of fun.

Performance so far. simply put the low end output is just stupid. i have never, and i mean NEVER had this kind of low end output in a sub before and we have done about every type of sub/multiples and so on. ITs hard to explain exactly what im hearing as honestly ive never heard bass like it before. The sensitivity and transients are outstanding. i was watching a fight scene from mr. and mrs smith. the part where shes blowing holes thru the drywall with a shot gun and the definition and output was impressive to say the least. the entire damn room feels like its compressing on those deep notes. This house has brand new extremely thick carpet and a new plush leather couch....couple of scenes were literally vibrating my ass while sitting in the couch....I kid you not...crazy.

were stil working on the dsp and getting her dialed in. I made the mistake of orderin a non balanced dsp so were bumping the line voltage up with a line driver before it gets into the ep4000 and im having a few issues with over driving the input....ill get those worked out soon and get the dsp lined out so we can get some more headroom. but all and all.....pretty damn amazing sub.

well post some more pics and graphs as it comes more online

-Drew

#330 ·
Apologies all for lack of measurements posted today. We're having equipment issues. Yesterday involved grounding issues, lack of cables, running back and forth, installing bump box, working on gains (not finished) etc.. Today - MiniDSP won't work. Been beating our heads against a wall. Will update as we work through it.

Aside from Teething issues with everything But the sub - Drew is absolutely head over heals intoxicated with the capabillity of theHouseWrecker v 7.2.. H e's never ever experienced this level of clean, articulate, DEEP effortless bass in a home. From a single driver? Is a revelation

Killer Good Job Mike!!

#333 ·
We're not there quite yet.

Ordered new Mini-DSP's after determining its usb input died. Several extension cables, and misc other things. Our bump box has a small rolloff on bottom - deciding whether to just EQ thru it, replace a couple caps, or order something flat. Also ordered the Mini DSP Mic. Once he's got those in, we'll get the one fine tuned, and measured properly.

Drew had a lot more things to say about them than his post - but trying to tie him to a chair long enough to post more than that isn't exactly easy! He's a busy busy man.. Things like "Bass compressions just physically pressurizing the room", "I've never had walls, sconces, couches move like this, I mean it was like the couch was hitting me in my ^%$!", "the washing machine up stairs tried to walk out of the room", "On my system - these low freq machine gun shots are like a long continuous low rumble - on theHouseWrecker, they are tremendous distinctly independent rifle shot BLASTS", "the insane speed they respond with and enormous efficiency is something I've never ever felt.." "You were right - horn bass is something that has to be experienced, the effortlessness, dynamic reserves are incredible"...

Drew used to be an auto-sound SPL competitor. So he's been around bass. At least we do have independent verification they are "decent" subs in a good room...

#335 ·
hey guys. little update. Like Deon said its an extremely busy time of year for us so i dont get as much time to sit still as Id like. We had what seems to be a bad usb board on our minidsp. i have a replacement coming and ordered a few more for stock so i can prevent something like this from happening again. Lilmike is loaning me a mini to get the room back up and rolling. i did order a minidsp mic and a balanced unit to try. will get some more in room graphs as soon as i can. I do have a few hours this afternoon and a couple reference movies with me to do some listening test. I did have the chance to listen to a few scenes from movies i know very well and i have to tell you i feel like a kid on christmas morning. ive found myself listening to scenes ive watched hundereds of times and watching them over and over because they just sound completely different. Ive had some parts of scenes actually startle me which has never happened...especially because i know whats coming. I have two cvx 15's in my personal media room and a single 15 in the tapped just kicks the living crap out of what i have at home....not even close, and my system at home is no slouch.

Ill post again soon. looking forward to getting new dsp online and change to play this afternoon a little bit.

I wanted to also say this. i was very surprise at the overall amount of eq we needed. i was expecting that we were going to need to make a lot of adjustments below 60 hz or so. I find that with other designs this is almost always needed. however, with the HW the damn thing rolled off at 15hz naturally as soon as we fired it up. the low end extension is just awesome. yes we have a few upper resonance's that had to be eq'd out but really didtn have to make to many major adjustments. This particular room has monster gain in the 20-50 hz at the listening position so i have to play with eqing the room a bit more but that was about the time my mini dsp died...

#336 ·
Can anyone tell me if Audesey XT32 is able to do a proper EQ with a sub like these ? I lack the ability and time to calibrate using REW. I've had good results in my room with Audessey. Also, any idea if Audesey will calculate the -3db spot on the sub and set up a high pass filter ? I don't know if it does rumble protection or not.

#337 ·
I have no experience with Audesey XT32, mine is the stripped down variant, Audesey XT. I don't allow it to EQ the sub-woofer, and highly doubt it will be able to take care of the upper TH resonances. I do use it's distance offsets / delay settings. I can send you a MiniDSP file to load for the basic subwoofer (HF eq and LF protection). I can also walk you through REW - isn't too difficult. Ask Drew.. He had never heard of it before he decided to build the sub - the broken Mini DSP has been his only issue aside from time.

#338 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dB-Kicker  /t/1301534/the-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn/330#post_22755138

I have no experience with Audesey XT32, but mine is the stripped down variant. I don't allow it to EQ the sub-woofer, and highly doubt it will be able to take care of the upper TH resonances. I do use it's distance offsets / delay settings. I can send you a MiniDSP file to load for the basic subwoofer (HF eq and LF protection). I can also walk you through REW - isn't too difficult. Ask Drew.. He had never heard of it before he decided to build the sub - the broken Mini DSP has been his only issue aside from time.

Thanks a bunch for the offer. This is something I would like to eventually learn. I'm still in talks with lilmike and I sent a message to RadMan asking for his opinions. After that it's just a matter of ordering parts. I was hoping to get away with not purchasing a minidsp and instead using an amp with a HPF function.

The subwoofer would probably be used from bottom to 60hz, as my speakers are capable down to 40hz.

#340 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dB-Kicker  /t/1301534/the-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn/240#post_21654321

I think somewhere in this thread I mentioned this is my ULF sub-woofer. That said - this woofer is still a 3+ octave sub.

I have 6 powered 10's covering "woofer" duty. See photo.

Yep, I know

. I don't have measurements to compare to measurements. A model compared to a measurement is an apples to Orchard comparison.

I think a build thread may be in order for those interesting mains and center of yours.

#341 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormwind13  /t/1301534/the-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn/330#post_22873638

I think a build thread may be in order for those interesting mains and center of yours.

Funny, you're the first person from this thread to pick up that they are home made

Not sure I have enough documentation to warrant a build thread, but I ‘spose I could share a few details..

Arrangement:

WMTMW

Driver compliment:

CVX 104
KM6500 Neo Midrange
KM6500.2 1.7” compression driver on a Tractrix horn
KM6500 Neo Midrange
CVX 104

The enclosure is 12”x14”x55” 1” MDF with a separate mid chamber.

Current crossovers = stock ones designed for boat towers. 1.6khz cross to the mids, ~~200hz to the woofers.

900 watts on each 10”, ~~240 to the MTM. 96dB 1m 2.83v MTM section with vanishingly low distortion.

Off axis not too bad.. On axis not too bad either. They’re some of the most dynamic “regular” speakers I’ve ever heard. They make you ‘Blink’ on sudden transients.  They also are incredibly detailed / articulate. You hear things in recordings you’ve never heard before through them. Imageing? Pin Point. Stereophile’s Piano handclapping? You can hear the Piano shroud as he claps walking down the church hall. And nope – they aren’t fatiguing…. The mids and horn are kinda special.

Mid’s per each are 90dB 1 watt per – super low distortion. 20mm long 35mm id CCAW black coated coils, over 1.2T through the gap which is 8mm, identical 12mm tall 32mm od Neo slugs (top reverse polarity) give ABSOLUTELY axio-symmetric gap – etc etc.. Horn is a ~~ 85/90dGx55/60dg Tractrix, driven by a 1/7” Ti compression driver. Designed the drivers to beat up on a famous makers THX Ultr2 system and drivers – but we sell them as boat speakers . (With the same sensitivity and literally double the excursion – and Super symmetric Neo gap – they DO beat on them hard ..

Having had let’s say… a hand in said THX Ultr2 system, these speakers were designed to stomp on THX systems specs in the biggest area I have issues with. Lack of Dynamics. AT THX Spec’d output – they have another 15dB left in them of clean SPL. 

I’ll look for a few more pix..

My buddy, "Buddy" (literally his name) working on the cabs with me. Grabbed camera - so I'm not in the shots..

Neutrik holes for access to each driver. Mike's in process of building a PC for the UE4. These will soon be full active, linear phase loudspeakers.)

Notice the paint on my car, the speakers are its inverse.
The paint about to be sprayed on these is The Ford paint code for my car, Tungsten Grey, and ... Fords black, can't think of it right now..

Well, thats what they look like anyway.. 120 plus dB per each tower. Makes for some raucous movies

F/R measured In Room. Microphone placed on the pillow behind my head. 4.5 meters from the right speaker..

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/164326_183428051679003_6602608_n.jpg

Coupla watts on them. Think it was ~~ 70.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/179322_183428101678998_128389_n.jpg

This measurement is 3 meters out. Inside our warehouse (20/30' ceilings?). Includes reflections. 0, 5, 10, 15, 30, and 45 degree's off axis to the Mid side.. (Is why they have horns on outside)

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/8923_101420299879779_7876780_n.jpg

#344 ·
I guess I neglected to mention last night - there is a whole lot more story behind my L/C/R's than just what I posted. Perhaps I should do up a short separate thread..

I don’t know if any of you are familiar with Joseph D’Appollito and James Bock’s “Swan IV” DIY speaker system.. It started out as a High powered Satellite speaker in 1984, then morphed into a full range double box system with the satellite sitting on top of the woofer module (containing a pair of 12” woofers) in 1988. The whole development, and analysis was very thoroughly documented by joe and James in Speaker Builder articles…

The only thing I am able to find online as a description comes from DIYAudio member Leadfinger:

“The Swan IV was designed by Joe D'Appolito and published in Speaker Builder 4/88, 5/88 issues. It is a 4 box system consisting of two 100 Liter woofer boxes each containing dual 12 in woofers and two mtm satellites each containing dual 5.25 dvc mids and a tweeter. The system is bi-amped at 200 hz between woofers and satellites. The satellites have a passive 2000 hz crossover between the dvc mids and tweeters. The article recommends 4 amplifier channels of 200 watts each.

The Pedal Coupler is the 200 hz bi-amp crossover with bass boost. There were no further articles on the project, just some discussion in reply letters and responces published is subsequent issues the following year.” Posted here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/211716-swan-iv-treble-couple-crossover-help.html

Anyway, the Swan – IV speaker system used a Dynaudio D-28, coupled with MTM arranged 5.25” Focal 5n412db – (later updated by various people to different drivers), and a pair of ~~either 5mm or 6.5mmx-max 12” woofers. Active crossover for woofer/satellite – with baffle step compensation for the monitor section, and bass boost for the LF section. It was a 115dB capable speaker (per each) from 25hz through 20khz. Joe and James agreed that to reproduce modern music at the time – especially with the advent of digital recording and deep bass encoding - 115dB SPL was the minimum necessary to achieve something akin to “realism” for reproduced sound in a home.

PET PEAVE ALERT: TO THIS DAY MFR’s absolutely SKIRT the biggest issue with home speakers recreating lifelike sound at home. Dynamic range. Dynamic compression happens to be one of the biggest distortions in your music systems playback wheelhouse – and is almost NEVER addressed commercially.. (off my soap box now) The Swan-IV speakers were incredibly dynamic in their time – and exceptionally detailed…. THAT system is what ended up cementing my need to become a professional in the audio industry…

My journey here started when I was 9 – after my father built himself a speaker system for our home “stereo.”. I was amazed - couldn’t believe my OWN FATHER built SPEAKERS!! Man, I JAMMED Billy Joel Glass Houses / 52nd street, Survivor Eye of the Tiger, miscellaneous Fleet-wood Mack, Stevie nicks, Janis Joplin, Styx albums (and waaay more more, but that should tell you the era) till I blew those woofers. Pop’s made me replace them. So began my journey.

Anyway, I can’t tell you how many times I doodled up variations of HT rooms / systems using the Swan-IV system as a 5.1 surround system in school… My current mains are just a modern interpretation – almost tribute to Joe’s Swan IV. I doubt anybody ever implemented them as HT speakers, this was the era of Stereo's still, before HT had become mainstream – but they would have been a near perfect home theater speaker system... Well the center would need to go lower – but in the day….

OK so maybe I a few more dB available, am using better drivers which I got to design and launch myself, the whole system goes lower – etc…but figure it’s also been what, almost 3 decades since Joe and James started on the original high powered satellite? I probably spent $300-$350 per month on phone bills with Joe D’Appollito and James Bock (he was hard to get ahold of) during the late 80’s early 90’s (before James passed) over a 2-3 year period... They are also very much to blame for my becoming ‘industry’.

The mid center to center distance on mine is less than 1.5x wavelength at the crossover (inside of Joe’s original D’Appolitto array guidelines), crossover is 24dB octave acoustic He first advocated 18dB, and modified it to 24dB L/R). Reason for the transducer offsets side to side is to get the mids as close together as possible vertically. C-C distance is 12”s (~~1120hz 1 wavelength, or 1,680hz for 1.5x 1 wavelength at cross) The drivers are also offset at a ratio of 1.41 to 1 from the sides – to help defray external cabinet diffraction effects. L/R cabinet round overs 0 .5” on horn side and 0.75” on mid side. Ideally these would be closer to 0.75, and 1.5” – but I didn’t have those bits handy, and as you can see from the un smoothed F/R in the links – and low mid low-pass – the net effects are entirely acceptable. The baffle step is taken into account through the asymmetric (electrically) network & horn level..

The back inside of the mid-range driver cutouts have varied depth and width scallops cut into them to eliminate large internal ‘tube’ edge diffraction effects inside the cabinet face, behind the drivers. Diffraction from this is significant – especially with thin cone faces (high efficiency drivers HAVE to be light weigh). Too many miss the importance of internal cabinet reflection / diffraction. They will go to great lengths to ensure the cabinet face is smooth outside the enclosure and forget the insides – IE: external edges are well rounded over – then load the transducer into a short tube with a perfectly concentric diffractive edge ¾" to 1½” ” behind the cone. Circular diffraction edges create the worst possible constructive and destructive interference reflections. There are greater aberrations in measured frequency response from this shallow diffraction tube than just about ANY surface diffraction from the front of the cabinet where the edges are 180degree’s from the piston’s face and 6 to 8 inches from the drivers centers....

Inner mid enclosure dims = 18.5” x 7” x 10” = 0.74 cubic feet or 21.2 Liters.. QTC is 0.54. 3dB down on mids in their sealed enclosure is ~~ 120hz.. Where they hand off to the woofers. Woofer enclosures are braced with moderate bracing where my accelerometer told me the cabinet 'talked' the most..

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm  /t/1301534/the-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn/330#post_22877346

Amazing finish. But I would expect nothing less. You always amaze. How are you getting by with no sub-woofer? Or do you have a little something?

Well, considering the main speakers are ~~~-3dB in room at my chair at 20hz, 6dB down at 16hz….……. Some would consider the L.C.R.’s themselves “sub-woofers”. (they contain “woofers” to me, and are what I call proper “Full Range” speakers ) Each cabinet has 2x the total measured volume displacement capability in the LF of any single THX certified 12” sub-woofer driver I have competitively bench marked. Essentially each L/C/R contains a sub-woofer capable of meeting THX specifications. (Yes I have Commercial THX Ultra2 specifics due to above mentioned ‘involvement’ with a famous makers THXu2 system . And I worked exhaustively on said system with THX to develop the drivers, and help work on the polar/power response of the finished system… They also have more real watts going to each than Most THX Ultra2 sub-woofers. Basically the main “woofers” do alright . Truth be told, these LCR’s without external sub-woofers exceed the THX Ultra2 specification in everything but lowest impedance allowed in every way for THX certified LCR’s Plus sub-woofers...The LCR’s also have better pattern control, vertical and horizontal off axis response, lower distortion at any given level, and more peak SPL capability than any THX u2 system I’ve bench marked. Call them THXu2 + 15dB at THX prescribed distortion levels, with better power/polar radiation.

And just in case you missed the title of this thread…… I do have a ‘sub-woofer’. These photos were taken before theHouseWrecker was completed.

#345 ·
Damn!

Man, those babies are super sweet! Ugh! I want those bad!

I think a project of that caliber deserves a separate build thread with more details....that is if you want to share.

My guess is you would have quite a few people wanting to build these.

#347 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3  /t/1301534/the-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn/330#post_22879032

Damn!

Man, those babies are super sweet! Ugh! I want those bad!

I think a project of that caliber deserves a separate build thread with more details....that is if you want to share.

My guess is you would have quite a few people wanting to build these.

Appreciate the compliment, thank you.. I have intended to do a build thread for them - but I was waiting till I complete the full active system using Bodzio's UE4 , with the computer Mike's building up for me. Need to finish the second HouseWrecker too. (and put a finish on both). Also keep in mind - MSRP on those drivers does not lend itself to an inexpensive DIY system, and the typical DIY want's to build the least expensive system he can.. Do they perform? IN SPADES, yes. But there are cheaper (maybe less aesthetic) ways to get similar performance..

Being responsible to 100% of Kicker's Acoustic development department - it's probably not a bad idea for me to wave the Kicker Flag for my own HT though
. That - and having had the lucky opportunity to develop and launch each driver - I got to take the next step, and the finished system to the next level

Yup - my own personal dream system designed and built from the ground up, scratch - by me with STRONG influence from Joe D and James M, while incorporating everything I've learned as an industry insider.
I'd speculate at retail level - these might meet and exceed the performance of 20k+ stereo pair speakers.

Found the network curves for it as built. Measurements again - inside our warehouse. Reflections included - not gated.

These were also prototypes of the compression driver. I altered the phase plug, clamping mechanism for the diaphragm, and compliance of the outer Periphery of the diaphragm (altered the pleats in the Ti). It is smoother now as can be seen in the above posts links - measured in room. (Production drivers)

#351 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dB-Kicker  /t/1301534/the-housewrecker-11hz-twin-cvx-15-tapped-horn/330#post_22879738

Appreciate the compliment, thank you.. I have intended to do a build thread for them - but I was waiting till I complete the full active system using Bodzio's UE4 , with the computer Mike's building up for me. Need to finish the second HouseWrecker too. (and put a finish on both). Also keep in mind - MSRP on those drivers does not lend itself to an inexpensive DIY system, and the typical DIY want's to build the least expensive system he can.. Do they perform? IN SPADES, yes. But there are cheaper (maybe less aesthetic) ways to get similar performance..

Sometimes yes and sometimes no regarding the inexpensive route. Some DIYers, like yourself and me as well, prefer to go for performance in spades over saving money.

Many of us hear have many thousands invested in speakers, amps, subs, various electronics, etc. I would much rather build something worthwhile than cheap.

I mostly lost interest in the DIY speaker portion of my system and always went with subs. However, after seeing your setup I have renewed interest in building my own.

That is one killer setup! I love the idea of 15s in your mains.

Ironically, I also have a Mustang GT (convertible) that is pewter with silver ghost stripes. That is a cool theme as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.