post #61 of 420 Old 12-28-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Couple of screws and a little PL - you're good to go (till ya gotta change a driver...then you get to crawl inside....)

I should check a few dimensions on the manifold area before I say for sure, but I think that could be done.

Better build it in place though, cause it isn't coming out of the room as one piece. It would be ~3.5 feet wide at one end, ~2 feet at the other, ~7 feet long, and over 4 feet high. Probably weigh about 450 Lb with drivers, maybe a bit more.

Not small.

Thanks, after thinking about it I don't think it would work well for me. I can actually leave the entire enclosure in my garage and that's what I may end up doing someday (design a suitable enclosure).

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 420 Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm having a problem figuring out how you are doing the pass through the wall. The Sketch-Up is missing that part, an I need it for the AkAbak script.

Looking at these two pictures you can see what I mean. You have the top section blocked off, but what about the bottom? Are you going to section some of it off, or leave it wide open boxed in by extending the bluish board in the first pick?

post #63 of 420 Old 12-30-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 85
That is that little bit of on-the-fly engineering we need to do yet.

As I envision it, the wall will be plated with 3/4 material in the garage and the house. The garage cutout will match the garage side, the house cutout will match the house side. Then it is a matter of sealing the passage between the two holes. None of the pieces of wood for this will be square, but it sure looks to me like it can all be planar. Make sense?

Waiting for a few free minutes to get this actually drawn up, as well as final wall thickness measurements from dB when he cuts a HUGE hole through a perfectly good wall....

......Oh man - now you got me thinking on this......hmmmmmm

I know it will work, just scratching my head a bit.

....OK - panic is over..... I think.....

The sides and top will pass through, sealed to the garage side of the flare, the bottom of the sides and the bottom of the hole will mate up as described above, the top of the hole is simply sealed. Easier to draw than describe. I'll try to get it drawn up as soon as I can.....
post #64 of 420 Old 12-30-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't know if this helps, but this is where I am at in the AkAbak breakdown.

3d Fold for Deon2.zip 78.740234375k . file
post #65 of 420 Old 12-31-2010, 01:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Holy Hell Deon ... seriously, you are going to kill small animals with that.

This only adds to the need for Mari and I to come down there and visit you. Are you confirmed not coming to CES .. I have some toys to show you there man

-Jimbo (envies you ... as my W1500H's sit powerless in my CA "efficiency" apt)

Jim
post #66 of 420 Old 01-04-2011, 03:13 PM

hey did you guys hear about all of those birds falling out of the sky dead, well there is going to be alot more of that when this thing is "test fired" for the first time.
post #67 of 420 Old 01-10-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw350z View Post

Holy Hell Deon ... seriously, you are going to kill small animals with that.

This only adds to the need for Mari and I to come down there and visit you.

-Jimbo (envies you ... as my W1500H's sit powerless in my CA "efficiency" apt)

Yeah - it's been about 5 years since I had real bass at home. In large part I bought this place with an eye on the acoustics and placement for subs/speakers/etc for the the living/media room - its layout rocks. You do need to visit.

Working on the manifold and through hole now - took time away during the hollidays. Back to work!!
post #68 of 420 Old 01-10-2011, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dB-Kicker View Post

Yeah - it's been about 5 years since I had real bass at home. I bought this place specifically for the living/media room layout - it rocks. You do need to visit.

Working on the manifold and through hole now - took time away during the hollidays. Back to work!!

awesome, been anxiousely awaiting the outcome of this
post #69 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Bump, any updates.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #70 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 08:26 AM
Advanced Member

It is just my luck dB-k is building this monster after I leave town. If only you could have build this beast 4 years ago.

07 grad, Go Pokes!
post #71 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to see this resurrected.
post #72 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

We're working on cleaning up the transition where it comes through the wall from the garage into the room. dB came up with a few great ideas that should smooth things out, as well as asked a few questions that have caused me to have a bit of a re-think on the approach I initially drew up.

We've got a plan, I've just gotta get it onto paper so dB can cut some more wood. During the process of trying to get it drawn up so I can finalize the model and make sure we're OK, I've learned a lot about how not to work in Sketchup....

How to make a mess of your sketchup model in three easy steps.

Draw a big complicated model without using components.

Decrease the precision setting to "round" dimensions to the nearest 1/8"

Realize that your corners aren't where you put them, due to the "rounding" and that things don't meet at a single point any more.
post #73 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
I give you credit using Sketchup at all. I tried, just can't do it, don't have any background to draw from (no pun intended).

post #74 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Draw a big complicated model without using components.

Biggest school boy error in sketchup. Period!
post #75 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Biggest school boy error in sketchup. Period!

Maybe.... I'm definitely good at that one....

Decreasing the precision like I did blew me right outta the water though. That was a HUGE oopsie.

I've got backups, just gotta find the one before I blew it up.
post #76 of 420 Old 03-24-2011, 12:56 PM

I'll be watching for the results.
Didn't realize this was in cowboy territory when I read through the first time.
'04 Grad
post #77 of 420 Old 04-01-2011, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

Ok - so after a hiatus, famillial alterations, new additions, and other stuff - we're back at this.

Attached are a couple screenshots of Mikes cleaned up through wall transition - with reflectors. It's now buildable!

I'm pulling cut sheets and getting to work again. Expect more project photo's soon!

Appologies for the gap in time there.. Life and all that.
LL
LL
LL
post #78 of 420 Old 04-01-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Wicked pics. Really looking forwar to this one and what a great idea.
post #79 of 420 Old 04-01-2011, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. We're looking forward to it for sure! It's definitely not the average tapped horn build. I'm ripping out half the wall between the living room and garage - building the sub into the house. Gotta give it to Mike for taking so much time to help! He's a great good human.

This one will break the house. Shoot - modeled plus almost !!30dB at 10hz relative to theBeast MK-IV, and +10dB at 20hz relative to a DTS-10 without it's concomitant 10dB free air sag to 10hz (or +20d at 10hz relative to DTS 10 model) - theHouseWrecker is definitely gonna be nuts!

TheBeast broke a 3rd story bathroom window at a SoCall Bass List Meet back in the day. Other versions have broken tons more. Dropped entire kitchen cupboard contents onto the floor. Split drywall seams. Popped drywall screws through drywall. Chunked plants on the floor, photo's off walls. Broken a sliding glass door. My favorite casualty - LITTERALLY, was my neighbors Chandeler!

We'll probably have the local constabulary at the door every time I fire theHouseWrecker up! I'll be sure to keep my business cards at hand as Mike keeps chiding me too .

89dB 2.83v@ 11hz 1m G/P model. ~~ 1000 watts inside x-max / 125dB 1m gp at 11hz inside of excursion. With (Edit I looked at it again. 20dB@10hz, 11dB at 20hz..) of gain at the listening position relative to a 1m g.p. outdoor measurement at 10hz - (that includes the 5 meters distance in room to chair - measured from that corner) this may well just be a little........... Excessive... I can't wait!

I do believe theHouseWrecker will be a fitting upgrade from the various versions of theBeast - I owe Mike a debt of gratitude..
post #80 of 420 Old 04-01-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

estimated total cost for those that want to attempt?
post #81 of 420 Old 04-01-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

estimated total cost for those that want to attempt?

Currently I have an old used 1,800 watt Proffesional series amplifer I nabbed for almost Free. 4 sheets of Auraco 3/4" plywood - likely to become 6. 1 sheet of OSB for bracing. 6 tubes of adhesive purchased - 3 used thus far. Bunch of wood screws. Mmm... 2 Kicker CVX-15" 4 ohm drivers. Connectors, etc. Not sure total cost - but less than purchasing a DTS-10 kit and drivers. I don't think I'm at a total of $700 in materials and drivers yet. (based on online retail MSRP of CVX's.) I'll look at actual components involved and do a real estimate to duplicate this weekend if I can.

Have more photo's of it on my FB page - and the rest of the HT (not yet finished). The mains for the HT are wicked fun. WMTMW's using drivers I designed for work (and system) that kill the Kripsch THX-Ultra2 system. Measured at listening position - with zero room treatment - in listening location, they do ~~ 115dB from ~~ 25hz through 22k per each with 75 watts (more on the powered woofer sections obviously) under 10% thd - roughly +/- 2dB for most of bandwidth, bout +/-5 in L/F including room. pick of front stage (again unfinished) attached.

If you want to add me look for Deon Bearden in Stillwater OK - put theHouseWrecker or AVS Forum in the note from the add request.
LL
post #82 of 420 Old 04-01-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

only thing available was Share Profile
post #83 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Currently I have an old used 1,800 watt Proffesional series amplifer I nabbed for almost Free. 4 sheets of Auraco 3/4" plywood - likely to become 6. 1 sheet of OSB for bracing. 6 tubes of adhesive purchased - 3 used thus far. Bunch of wood screws. Mmm... 2 Kicker CVX-15" 4 ohm drivers. Connectors, etc. Not sure total cost - but less than purchasing a DTS-10 kit and drivers. I don't think I'm at a total of $700 in materials and drivers yet. (based on online retail MSRP of CVX's.) I'll look at actual components involved and do a real estimate to duplicate this weekend if I can.

Have more photo's of it on my FB page - and the rest of the HT (not yet finished). The mains for the HT are wicked fun. WMTMW's using drivers I designed for work (and system) that kill the Kripsch THX-Ultra2 system. Measured at listening position - with zero room treatment - in listening location, they do ~~ 115dB from ~~ 25hz through 22k per each with 75 watts (more on the powered woofer sections obviously) under 10% thd - roughly +/- 2dB for most of bandwidth, bout +/-5 in L/F including room. pick of front stage (again unfinished) attached.

If you want to add me look for Deon Bearden in Stillwater OK - put theHouseWrecker or AVS Forum in the note from the add request.

Cool, picture....but I really now want to know about all your speakers! Are those "wide" speakers too?

Btw, I love that rail protecting everything. I need the same thing with my kids. What a great idea for my room redesign.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #84 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post
only thing available was Share Profile
You have a message..
post #85 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post
Cool, picture....but I really now want to know about all your speakers! Are those "wide" speakers too?

Btw, I love that rail protecting everything. I need the same thing with my kids. What a great idea for my room redesign.

First and foremost understand I do not represent myself as an agent for my company - I am purely a 100% audio geek - with one of the most awesome jobs in the country. See my profile.

The drivers are all Kicker. MTM sections made up from speakers we released for Marine applications - called KM6500.2, and KM 6500's. I put a LOT of energy in these - they exceeded all my expectations. I'll attach an SPL graph - this INCLUDES all room reflections, is 4.5 meters from the couch - no room treatments mic in front of couch pillow were head sits, and shows 2'nd and 3rd harmonics at lower than anechoic (-40dB or greater is less than 0.3% HD).. The amplitude response shown is with Audyssey disengaged - and this is passive crossovers. I have ~~ 450 watts per center section (150 each driver) - and 450 per woofer heading for the front three soon - it will be full DSP active when I'm done.

The highs are a 1.7" Ti compression driver on a 1" throat 1.4k hz 60x90 pure Tractrix horn. It has no Diffraction slot - I spent lots of energy FEA'ing that one. It's darned good. Horn has a 65mm bolt hole pattern that matches a 6'5" bolt pattern. (IOW designed to bolt into same cutout) They fit in wake board tower cans.

Those are crossed over to a double neo motored 6.5" mid. 20mm coil, 8mm gap N42H Neo slug above and below (almost zero flux modulation under normal use) - over 1T through the gap. It is a TRUE 90.5dB SPLo, 6mm x-max mid. Coil is 1.5", kapton, spunlaced nomex collar - coated with black polyamide. They also fit wake board cans.

Through the network the MTM section is good for 94dB 1 watt. Its power and polar response rival some other companies THX U2 system - and distortion is far lower. Worked HARD on those mods.

The woofers are CVX10's.

Yep - those are front wides driven by Audyssey DSX . They use the same transducers and crossovers as the mains - minus the powered woofers.

I built the baby gate from dowels and two by fours. Center section easily lifts out. It's a life saver.

LL
post #86 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First and foremost understand I do not represent myself as an agent for my company - I am purely a 100% audio geek - with one of the most awesome jobs in the country. See my profile.

The drivers are all Kicker. MTM sections made up from speakers we released for Marine applications - called KM6500.2, and KM 6500's.

The highs are a 1.7" Ti compression driver on a 1" throat 1.4k hz 60x90 pure Tractrix horn. It has no Diffraction slot - I spent lots of energy FEA'ing that one. It's darned good. Horn has a 65mm bolt hole pattern that matches a 6'5" bolt pattern. (IOW designed to bolt into same cutout) They fit in wake board tower cans.

Those are crossed over to a double neo motored 6.5" mid. 20mm coil, 8mm gap - over one T through the gap. It is a TRUE 90.5dB SPLo, 6mm x-max mid. Coil is 1.5", kapton, spunlaced nomex collar - and coated with black polyamide. They also fit wakeboard cans.

Through the network the MTM section is good for 94dB 1 watt. Its power and polar response rival some other companies THX U2 system - and distortion is far lower. Worked HARD on those mods.

The woofers are CVX10's.

Yep - those are Audyssey DSX front wides. They use the same transducers and crossovers as the mains - minus

I built the baby gate from dowels and two by fours. Center section easily lifts out. It's a life saver.

I used to run 6 pairs of DX69 3-ways, 2 sealed per channel on a 6.1.... it was INCREDIBLE. I played the bar sceen from 8 Mile and it was like actually being in the bar with the pro-audio and crowd yelling. My girlfriend was sitting on the couch next to me and we had to yell back and forth to hear eachother as I was cheesing out hysterically. I had all the windows and doors closed. When it was done I let the receiver cool off for a bit and went outside. Cops were swarming a 3 block radius looking for the house party with all the people and music. I was stupid and sold them all dirt cheap to get an amp. I'll never forgive myself. I had an L715 4th order bandpass but the Parts Express 1500 watt or 1000 watt amp just couldn't push it without clipping at even moderate levels, I cut the bandpass and converted it to 4.5 sealed and it still couldnt push it.
I love those kapton formers, the most power I hve ever given any subs other than my current setup was L7s... those 2.5" coils just spoak it up and spit out dBz.

I'd love to rebuild my van with some SoloX 18s. I really really want some ULTRA 5400s now, but I'll never be able to afford it. I should start buying up used Solos and recones. Sawzall that wall!
post #87 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
No disrespect intended but when does this type of project become an IB type set-up?

I guess what's the compare and contrast of this large of build as opposed to slapping a couple drivers in an attic?

Don't get me wrong. As a fellow THT owner, I'm excited to see this thing "unfold" (<- pun intended), just curious.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
post #88 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post
No disrespect intended but when does this type of project become an IB type set-up?

I guess what's the compare and contrast of this large of build as opposed to slapping a couple drivers in an attic?

Don't get me wrong. As a fellow THT owner, I'm excited to see this thing "unfold" (<- pun intended), just curious.

dbl
This isn't something to replace different methods of achieving high SPL low bass - or that I'm advocating other people should build. I won't get into that discussion. I've already built just about every other type of insane sub there is. So far - a well done tapped horn sounds better at a given SPL than any other method I've used for a given driver compliment - so I'm trying my hand at an over the top variant. This is my expiriment and foray into the world of Excess Deep Bass via Tapped horns.. I'm doing it for my own fun!

I am also using dead space in my garrage corner. As it happens - it is the perfect distance to drop the final flare into the livingroom -in the livingroom corner. The in room flare is less than ~~5 cubic feet of room consumed - only protruding from the wall ~~ 16"s.

Realistically - I couldn't afford all the amps and transducers required to hit the SPL this will at 10hz in an I.B. I'm taking relatively affordable very decent car audio transducers - and showing what U can do in a tapped horn with them. Auto aftermarket transducers are Ideal in many respects for Tapped horn apps. Tapped horns love tuning ~~1 to 1.5x octave below Fo.

That - and we're looking at potentially in excess of 130dB capabillity at the listeing position 5 meters away - from a single amp and pair of drivers down to 11hz, - total cost to build including drivers and power less than $1.5k for a consumer. Less than 1k if he has amps already. And even less if her were creative.

Another thought - I also have two drivers on in inroom manifold, and an additional 3/4" ply sepperating the home from garrage. Drivers set IB in my attick will leak serious cold / heat depending on the time of year. And their performance will vary continuously with attick / garrage temp. These won't.

Plus -I'm not doing this for average joe. Just me. If you've seen me around before (Audionuttt / dr-Bass / etc ) - most of the things I do are a lil excessive in the bass department...

post #89 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

So far - a well done tapped horn sounds better at a given SPL than any other method I've used for a given driver compliment

Total agreement here... I'll probably never go back to traditional sealed and ported stuff. I'm spoiled now
post #90 of 420 Old 04-02-2011, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

So far - a well done tapped horn sounds better at a given SPL than any other method I've used for a given driver compliment - so I'm trying my hand at an over the top variant.

Wow. That's pretty high praise. At least a few of us have been gawking at your sub builds since the late 1990s. The 1808's, the TCs, and so on.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page