Build Thread - PA - 4x EAW 1814 18" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
SO! I found 4 EAW 18" subs broken on craigslist in my area. I got them fixed up, each one costing about $150 in total. I've probably been working on this thing for about 1.5 years, procrastinating.

So I finally got my crap together and started building them. The plan was 2 double 18" cabinets that mimic McCauley's double 18" cabinet.

http://www.mccauley.com/product_overview.cfm?ID=99

I just finished the first one today. Holy crap, that much bass makes me smile.

I had the wood cut at home depot, they did a great job actually. 3/4" MDF
Ordered Handles, Feet, speakon Connectors, wheels, and corner guards. I'm powering each of these with EP1500s and ordered 50ft 12 Gauge speakon cables.

In these picture I hadn't sanded yet or anything so they look a little rough. I am also going to get there covered in truck bed liner. I am also putting wheels on the back, It'll be great.

System Info:
Mixer- Behringer xenyx 2442FX
Amps- ep2500, 2x ep1400
Crossover- Behringer Pro crosover
Trebble- 2x Kustom KSC 215
a bunch of mics and stands
Sub- 18" 19Ov.2 eD in custom box (see my other build thread)

And now 4x EAW LC-1814 subs

My Friend Audrey standing next to it for size comparison.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-09-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 807
cool.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 20 Old 01-09-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
eighteens are fun
post #4 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

do you know if eaw uses proprietary drivers or are those rcf? iirc, eaw and rcf were both loud, inc. companies.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 306
post #6 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Bass Enabler

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Sweet.

Cute friend, btw.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #7 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

LTD, I have no idea.
Notnyt, Nah, I don't feel like the enclosure is big enough for that to really matter compared to it's weight. I need to be able to move this around fairly easily. I dunno.

I have a question that I've been pondering for a while... Should I put the wheels, handles, corner protectors, and feet on the outside of the truckbed liner or put them on and tape them up to get it sprayed?

I got quite a bit of building done today, the second one looks like the second picture does up there.
post #8 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitlessEarth View Post

LTD, I have no idea.
Notnyt, Nah, I don't feel like the enclosure is big enough for that to really matter compared to it's weight. I need to be able to move this around fairly easily. I dunno.

Major oops. Too late now, but you would have come at half the weight with far better performance and durability using well braced 1/2" Baltic Birch. That's something to keep in mind when you tire of moving those behemoths. And truck bed liner should be left on trucks. DuraTex is the right stuff for speakers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-10-2011, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

I know, I considered that but there is not a Baltic birch deal around me with decent prices. I go to college, I work in food service, I am not rich. :/

The dealer nearest me quoted me something like $200 for a 5x5.

If I really felt the need or you guys convinced me into it I'm sure I could put a bracing in there. I just don't know where I would put it. The part the speakers are mounted in(not including the enclosure) is 18.5x18.5x27 I think, so none of the walls are too far apart. And I really don't want to cut swiss cheese bracing if that's what you were implying. Dunno, everyone is different

In the end it's how it sounds and I love it so far.

My question of around or on top over is still open whether I use DuraTex or Linex.

Honestly they aren't too heavy, my friend there can lift one with me. I think they are around 175lbs

Edit:
I probably will brace it, I became unhappy and paranoid that it could be better. Haha.
post #10 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Just cut some 6" wide boards and go from top to bottom and side to port in the center of each panel, make sure you leave an inch or two of air behind the woofer though.

Regards,
Dan
post #11 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know, I considered that but there is not a Baltic birch ...dealer nearest me quoted me something like $200 for a 5x5.

$35 is the average.

Quote:

Honestly they aren't too heavy, my friend there can lift one with me. I think they are around 175lbs

That's 75 pounds too much.
Next time around get some advise before embarking on the build. There's way too much experience out there willing to help not to take advantage of it.

post #12 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

just so avs folks don't get confused, this sub does not really have enough extension to be called a home theater sub (by avs standards). i love the idea of good p.a. and/or crossover drivers in subwoofers for h.t., but this one falls a little short. for everything but the lowest notes, these cabs will belt out huge spl and i suspect that is exactly what you were looking for. just be careful when running notes below tuning and for god's sake do not attempt to boost the 30hz bass up to flat with eq at anything other than headphone listening levels or you may damage your drives. when applying high power, you might consider a 30-35hz highpass too.

http://www.mccauley.com/product_file...D=99&FileID=23
LL

Listen. It's All Good.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Bill, I spent hours online looking for a reasonable dealer. If it was that easy I would have done it.

No, it is not. Honestly I don't care THAT MUCH. McCauley, Lacoustic and meyer have not managed to build a sub that weighed 100lbs of the same relative design. Obviously you know something they don't.

I did get advice. This is the best that I can do with my resources. I am not a professional, I know that, Thanks.

I really hope you don't talk to your customers like this, it's very condescending. Thanks for your help.

LTD, thanks, I am aware of this. I also tuned my enclosures a bit lower to help a bit.

Edit:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I don't feel like you are helping me so much as pointing out obvious things that are wrong which is not very constructive. I would just like you to understand that I am on a really tight budget and I did the best I could. I had not gotten a quote yet for the price of linex when I was planning for their coating but needless to say they are out. Thank you for pointing me at DuraTex.

I need speakers. I would not DiY if I had the money to just go buy a pair. It is fun but I don't have this kind of time to sacrifice most days of the year.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 03:06 PM
Bass Enabler

LE, you're doing good. Is this your first DIY audio attempt?

One thing you may want to consider is some extra bracing for each volume where the driver is. You can pick up a single 2x4 at Home Depot and cut it to size. Even the little bit will help stiffen up the cabinet and could possibly knock out any resonance. I don't see any complaints though so you may be alright.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #15 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, I really only posted this to share in the fun that I was having with it.
No, I built a single 18" enclosure about a year ago. It was much more noobish than this one. Although it used a car sub woofer and had multiple ports that you could put inside of each other to change the tuning. Like LTD was saying, it was a PA HT crossover. 35hz, 25hz and 15hz tunings. It did have bracing.

Yesm, I am going to put that kind of thing in tomorrow. I'm putting in 2 + looking things consisting on 2x4s.

I'm still excited to get the second one done. They are already pushing 131 db @ 1 m @ 45 hz
post #16 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Bass Enabler

Damn right! That's rock concert type SPL right there.

I may have missed it but what mains are you running? I'm already wanting to push you into the direction of building a pair of stock 4Pi's about now with that kind of midbass you're pushing.

http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id/108

Build a pair (or trio for HT use) of these and use your 2x18" bins for midbass on each. Omg, that sounds awesome.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #17 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:

Bill, I spent hours online looking for a reasonable dealer. If it was that easy I would have done it.

No, it is not. Honestly I don't care THAT MUCH. McCauley, Lacoustic and meyer have not managed to build a sub that weighed 100lbs of the same relative design. Obviously you know something they don't.

I did get advice. This is the best that I can do with my resources. I am not a professional, I know that, Thanks.

I really hope you don't talk to your customers like this, it's very condescending. Thanks for your help.

LTD, thanks, I am aware of this. I also tuned my enclosures a bit lower to help a bit.

Edit:
I don't mean to sound like a jerk but I don't feel like you are helping me so much as pointing out obvious things that are wrong which is not very constructive. I would just like you to understand that I am on a really tight budget and I did the best I could. I had not gotten a quote yet for the price of linex when I was planning for their coating but needless to say they are out. Thank you for pointing me at DuraTex.

I need speakers. I would not DiY if I had the money to just go buy a pair. It is fun but I don't have this kind of time to sacrifice most days of the year.

That's just how Bill is. Nobody likes having their mistakes pointed out, but if you don't learn from them, you're bound to repeat them.

Where are you that you can't get ply? Didn't you say you got your wood from home depot?
post #18 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"They are already pushing 131 db @ 1 m @ 45 hz"

LL

Listen. It's All Good.
post #19 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Tops are kust KSC 215s, arent the best but they sound fine.
I acctually wanted to build compression horns to help my high trebble. But thats another project.

Ah. Most of the mistakes he is grilling me about I can't change because of money. I was originally intending to use birch but couldnt find a store I could affotd. None of the home depos in 30 miles had it. :/

That is definitly true but I have done a lot of research. I'd like to think i'm not that much of a noob though.
post #20 of 20 Old 01-11-2011, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not that I know something they don't, it's that they don't care if their cabs weigh a ton. They don't have to move them, and it's much cheaper to build a heavy cab unbraced cab than a light braced cab. One of the advantages to DIY is that the labor is essentially free, so one doesn't have to minimize labor costs to reach a minimum profit margin.

Quote:

In my last life I was an MLB umpire.
I call them as I see them.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page