Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 10:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

That modified center seems to be the way to go.

its like what a full statement is to a mini statement about a 5% difrence plus it looks cooler and goes deeper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenosity View Post

its like what a full statement is to a mini statement about a 5% difrence plus it looks cooler and goes deeper

Perfect! Sounds like a winner to me (pun intended).

It is better looking too.

post #273 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I can't really get accurate prices unless I know what most people want for the cabinet material. Please give your input on those questions I asked a few posts ago so it can be narrowed down. Thanks.

Lets just say BB ships better. MDF edges vs. BB, while both have to be sealed properly to do a painted finish, I would say MDF baffle may be easier. In BB the straight grain ply's layer finish, while the cross lams absorb, so it easier for the edges to telegraph through the finish. As far as a cabinet material I would say BB all the way, as people can screw it, nail it, glue it, with no real consequence. And if they are so inclined could even stain it if the material has no blems.

Also, with the 1 1/4" baffle if the top sheet is 3/4" and has the roundover the bottom 1/2" sheet can be machined to inset in the cabinet face. You would have to lengthen the sides and shorten the tunnel pieces and braces but it would make for a solid glue-up and help with alignment and squaring.
post #274 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 02:36 PM

Option 2 and more expensive would be to go "miter lock" for the sides and have no end-grain seems.
post #275 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDiver View Post

Also, with the 1 1/4" baffle if the top sheet is 3/4" and has the roundover the bottom 1/2" sheet can be machined to inset in the cabinet face. You would have to lengthen the sides and shorten the tunnel pieces and braces but it would make for a solid glue-up and help with alignment and squaring.

Yeh, that's what the plan was going to be. I thought it would look nicer that way. I figured they could actually recess it about 1/8" more, then rabbet the front baffle 1/8". That way the baffle would line up real easy. See guys, I am thinking ahead!!!

I like the prices this company gives, but I'm not a big fan of how quickly they reply with answers. I know this is chump change to them, but I'd like them to reply a bit quicker with things.

Maybe that will change if I show them we have 5 more designs.

Anybody know someone with AutoCAD? That would make things a LOT faster. I could just send them the program and they could price is so much quicker.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #276 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Maybe leave the baffle 1/16th" proud (1/32 all around) in both dimensions so people can sand flush, or veneer flush.

Regarding AutoCad, do you know if they can use the file directly or do they still have to input the data into a CAM software to figure machine time, tool changes, etc...
post #277 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

From what I understand, they import the CAD file into the CNC software and basically direct the machine what order to cut the parts. The programmer will always have to tell the machine how to cut what's in the file.

But having the AutoCAD file would probably speed things up significantly and probably make them more willing to help us with more designs. Plus I'm sure he's billing the program time into the whole cost.

One day I'll try to learn the stuff, but I suck at Google Sketchup.

This whole process will go faster by the next design. It took a few days to get an estimate, then a few more days to draw it out and have me confirm. Then a few more days before they cut it, then they contact me, and I picked it up a day later, wait 2 days to make sure all is good, meet with them, time just goes....and goes.

But I figured out that there's enough left over on the Anarchy plywood to get 1 Overnight Sensation cut! So I'm thinking they could do that design for like $10 per speaker. Well, what do I do? Do I have them put the design in, cut the test box and wait until the end of the week to start cutting all the stuff? Or should I say heck with it and just get the Anarchy's cut right now? See? We could get 50 pairs of OS speaker for maybe $20 per pair, plus a $2 shipping box.

Now if I knew someone with CAD, this entire process would be done in just a few days.

Either way, things will improve by the next design.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #278 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 08:10 PM

Erich,

You are light-speed's faster than many in the industry, and not to make a buck, but bring smile's to people's faces. Some things take a little time, hell I thought you were talking weeks waits. In that down-time could you possibly find someone to fabricate a 15" woofer surround auto-former.

I know there are some SketchUp to .DWG or other extensions. I recall reading the base vector in SketchUp is not that portable in the wide 3D spectrum, but for what we're doing here the resolution should be fine.

I don't have CAD, but can help in SU.

Regarding the Anarchy's they will probably re-nest the pieces based on quantity and not have any over-run and minimize tool changes, etc. But it's worth asking.
post #279 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDiver View Post
Erich,

You are light-speed's faster than many in the industry, and not to make a buck, but bring smile's to people's faces. Some things take a little time, hell I thought you were talking weeks waits. In that down-time could you possibly find someone to fabricate a 15" woofer surround auto-former.

I know there are some SketchUp to .DWG or other extensions. I recall reading the base vector in SketchUp is not that portable in the wide 3D spectrum, but for what we're doing here the resolution should be fine.

I don't have CAD, but can help in SU.
Thanks. I'm all about getting things done.....as fast as possible. I kind of hate sitting in limbo waiting to hear how things are going.

It's funny that you said while I'm waiting I should look into the 15" surround autoformer.

Well, I've got some interesting things that I worked on during the "down time" waiting for the Anarchy test box, waveguide, and diffuser stuff. It has to do with a 15" driver, but not the rubber surrounds. I can't say anymore right now until this is 100% set in stone. I'll know by Wed. This doesn't have to do with a flat pack......yet. But it will help the DIY community get some cheap stuff.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #280 of 777 Old 02-20-2011, 08:56 PM

Sweet, you're really doing a great service to many, it's very much appreciated. It's really too bad that the Zilchlabs + DIYSG connection is no longer possible. Hopefully we here can make a quasi version happen.
post #281 of 777 Old 02-21-2011, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have AutoCAD 2009 if I can help. I'm not sure just how much time I can dedicate towards the effort though.
post #282 of 777 Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM

Liked: 13
Wish I was fluent in any of the programs of which you speak. Unfortunately I am not. Pretty much just usefully for chomping at the bit, as I have been since this thread started.

I'm getting there....!!!
post #283 of 777 Old 02-21-2011, 11:38 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

We could get 50 pairs of OS speaker for maybe $20 per pair, plus a $2 shipping box.

I have been busy for a while and unable to post.
I would definitely say take the time and you could get him to possibly cut out the boxes for these at the same time as he does each anarchy box if it is all in the same wood.

The pricing and shipping for those would be spectacular. I would have to get a few pairs.

I know a good few people who would love to have something like that as their first DIY project.

Max

Dual Dayton RSS390HF-4 15" Sonosub Build thread:

"You mean, you um, you built those things?"
"Yep!" "Why?" *Power on* "Oh, that's why"
post #284 of 777 Old 02-21-2011, 07:55 PM

These are like the Radio Shack first electronics sets, but speakers! Awesome work Erich! It's DIY with a helping hand. One of the coolest things I have seen someone do on here for no profit, just to help those who lack the woodworking skills...

A bigger hammer is only better until you hit your thumb with it.
post #285 of 777 Old 02-21-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You haven't seen anything yet......we've got stuff going on behind the scenes ya know!

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #286 of 777 Old 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM

You sound like a drug dealer who just came up with the latest version of audio crack! I guess AVS is like a virtual corner where you can get people hooked...

A bigger hammer is only better until you hit your thumb with it.
post #287 of 777 Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
For me, having built some boxes myself, given the choice between BB and MDF I'd choose BB everytime. Both require work to finishing the edges, and I am not convinced that MDF is any better, actually I think it is easier to seal the BB edges.

I like to use Johnson's water based putty to skim coat the edges and then BIN's primer (or other hi-build primer) to ensure the edges are sealed. Sand, primer and paint (or veneer). I'd still treat the edges if you are going to veneer, just in case.

BB is lighter too, which is a good thing IMO.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #288 of 777 Old 02-22-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioJosh View Post
Both require work to finishing the edges, and I am not convinced that MDF is any better, actually I think it is easier to seal the BB edges.

BB is lighter too, which is a good thing IMO.
Agreed, but with MDF you can do the round over on the baffle and have no real end grain and no voids. Like you said, just prime it.

MDF has better deadening properties than BB. So, the use on the baffle is somewhat beneficial there as well.

post #289 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 01:03 PM

Please put me down for 2 TH flat packs.
post #290 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 03:17 PM

Liked: 19
Erich, don't know if you saw this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post

Erich (and lilmike), if you want to cut the Lab-12 TH, it's a go. Here's a copy and paste of Don's reply to me when I asked him about having you guys flat pack his design. It even has his contact info.

Hi cecaa850,

All my designs are public domain. If you want DXF or DWG files, just email me at:
dsnyder1@san.rr.com and request the one you want.

Don Snyder

So I thought I'd bring it over here where you would.

Thanks to cecaa850 for getting the confirmation on the open-source nature of the Lab12 TH.
post #291 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosifee View Post

Thanks to cecaa850 for getting the confirmation on the open-source nature of the Lab12 TH.

There was a little self serving interest there.

Glad I could help.

120@20@14'
post #292 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Good Job on the Lab12 approval; I'm interested in an ~20hz option too...
post #293 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Lilmike is working on some interesting things using some interesting drivers. They're 15's and from what I've seen, it could get pretty crazy.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #294 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Lilmike is working on some interesting things using some interesting drivers. They're 15's and from what I've seen, it could get pretty crazy.

I'm down with crazy !

If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer !
post #295 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post

There was a little self serving interest there.

Glad I could help.

Enlightened self-interest makes the world go 'round.
post #296 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Crazier the better, especially when the wood is pre-cut!

post #297 of 777 Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I sent the plain drawings of the smaller Statements and the Monitors to the company today. Radman may work up a Sketchup file and I might shoot that over to tsloms to put it in AutoCAD. Maybe that can speed things up.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #298 of 777 Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Excuse me, sir, but I can't help noticing that your bag has a cat in it, and he seems to want out pretty badly.
post #299 of 777 Old 02-24-2011, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I sent the plain drawings of the smaller Statements and the Monitors to the company today. Radman may work up a Sketchup file and I might shoot that over to tsloms to put it in AutoCAD. Maybe that can speed things up.

Your'e killing me!

FULL SIZE is where it's at!

post #300 of 777 Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Erich,

Hope I can still get on the list for 2 of these Anarchy kits. Looks like a really worthwhile product for quality 2-channel bass.

Do I need to contact you via email, or is this notice good enough ?

Bruce

BruceD

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page