Any Interest in Cheap "Flat Pack" Enclosures? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 777 Old 08-26-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 732
And here's some more GREAT news. I went to PE today to buy the 4" Dayton woofer so the CNC guy's could get that odd shape figured out for recessing the driver on the Nano Neo speakers (cut soon).

As mentioned over at the PE forum, I was going to talk with someone there about a package deal for the Overnights (mt and mtm), Nanos and possibly something else. He said it's pretty much good to go. Hopefully the price of the package deal discount will be extremely close to the shipping price for all components AND the flat packs! If so, I can pack everything up in one box, and it can be shipped for "free". Or at least almost free.

Basically adjusting prices of the components enough to cover shipping on everything including the cabinets. That would be pretty sweet!

I bought a pair of woofers and tweeters for the Overnights. I'll do a trial packaging, weigh it out and figure an average shipping price and hopefully the discount will cover that. I mentioned that I could wrap the flat packs and drop them off at PE and they could take care of everything else, but after thinking about it, it didn't seem like a good idea.

I'll crunch numbers tonight or tomorrow and see how this will all work out.

Obviously you can still get just the flat packs by themselves, but you will have to pay shipping, which isn't too bad anyway with the FedEx discount I opened this year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 777 Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Awesome. Does it get any easier than this for diyers?

Put me down for two please.
post #633 of 777 Old 08-26-2011, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Eric, as I said before, feel free to ping me, if you need help with web stuff. I'm gonna be home for the weekend (hell, with the hurricane coming, no choice. I just hope we don't lose power.), so I can help out if need be.
post #634 of 777 Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
And here's some more GREAT news. I went to PE today to buy the 4" Dayton woofer so the CNC guy's could get that odd shape figured out for recessing the driver on the Nano Neo speakers (cut soon).

As mentioned over at the PE forum, I was going to talk with someone there about a package deal for the Overnights (mt and mtm), Nanos and possibly something else. He said it's pretty much good to go. Hopefully the price of the package deal discount will be extremely close to the shipping price for all components AND the flat packs! If so, I can pack everything up in one box, and it can be shipped for "free". Or at least almost free.

Basically adjusting prices of the components enough to cover shipping on everything including the cabinets. That would be pretty sweet!

I bought a pair of woofers and tweeters for the Overnights. I'll do a trial packaging, weigh it out and figure an average shipping price and hopefully the discount will cover that. I mentioned that I could wrap the flat packs and drop them off at PE and they could take care of everything else, but after thinking about it, it didn't seem like a good idea.

I'll crunch numbers tonight or tomorrow and see how this will all work out.

Obviously you can still get just the flat packs by themselves, but you will have to pay shipping, which isn't too bad anyway with the FedEx discount I opened this year.
If PE gives free shipping on the packs then it would be a good deal, probably wont though. They get a vastly better corporate discount with shipping companies (up to them whether it gets passed to the buyer, like you do with your fedex account)
post #635 of 777 Old 08-27-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

If PE gives free shipping on the packs then it would be a good deal, probably wont though. They get a vastly better corporate discount with shipping companies (up to them whether it gets passed to the buyer, like you do with your fedex account)

The price of the components will be lowered enough that it should pay for shipping the entire kit....including the flat packs. Or at least very close.

I'd have to buy the stuff and package it all up though. But shouldn't be too bad.
post #636 of 777 Old 08-27-2011, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Erich H: I have been following this thread for a while now and it is just awesome how easy you are making it for the DIY. I would be interested in two Over Night Sensations as I would like to see what is involved in DIY speaker making and this is a great opportunity. I guess you will advise of the process once you determine how you are going to handle. Thanks again for all your work.
post #637 of 777 Old 08-27-2011, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2008 View Post
Erich H: I have been following this thread for a while now and it is just awesome how easy you are making it for the DIY. I would be interested in two Over Night Sensations as I would like to see what is involved in DIY speaker making and this is a great opportunity. I guess you will advise of the process once you determine how you are going to handle. Thanks again for all your work.
Luckily, this isn't really that hard. A few phone calls to organize things and check on schedules. Plus I've got enough room at my shop to keep a lot of pallets. Once I figure out how something should be packaged, it's pretty easy because it's not like I'm doing 50 a day or anything like that.

I was pretty busy with landscaping stuff this past month, but things are finally slowing down. The audio stuff should all come together by Fall in a major way. And there will be a LOT of flat packs and other items as well. Some things are going to be really interesting.....subwoofer stuff. Maybe even some big custom drivers for cheaper than anyone? I'll stop talking.

Honestly, I should have a lot more done than I do. I ran into some serious snags with the SEOS waveguide that set them back nearly 6 weeks. They are coming though. And I'm 99% sure I found a CNC guy that can maintain the same pricing as the big company, but cut smaller runs. So the DIY guys can pick from 30 flat pack designs versus 5 or so at a time.

The "free shipping" on the Overnights will be pretty nice thanks to the price deductions from Parts Express.

As mentioned, my lady friend has been collecting some small double thick boxes that they normally throw away where she works. You should see my garage, there must be 100+ boxes piled up like a mountain. I knew they'd come in handy for some 'group buy' eventually......and they will. So free shipping boxes for these smaller Overnights too.

I think the Nano Neos will be cheaper than the Overnights. And the Aurasound speaker may be even cheaper than the Nanos. That design will be done over at PE by a couple really good guys.
post #638 of 777 Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
You should see my garage, there must be 100+ boxes piled up like a mountain.
Pics!

*edit* Oops, I quoted the wrong line.

Quote:
As mentioned, my lady friend
Pics!

YID DIY
post #639 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Need an ecconowave flat pack!!!
post #640 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

Maybe even some big custom drivers for cheaper than anyone? I'll stop talking.

I'll take 8 of them. I'll pre-order. What do you need? CC/Paypal/Cash in an envelope/A hooker for a night?

Scratch that last part. (although it could be arranged...).

Edit: btw, I'll be working on your website tonight. Was way too busy at work today.
post #641 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Econowave flat pack was the design that was going to originally be cut. But after Zilch died, things went on hold. They are coming though, with many options for different waveguides including the SEOS. I'm hoping to get about 30 different waveguides tested by other forum members within the next couple weeks as well.

Like I mentioned, there's a lot going on, it's just not being posted yet. But it's all about to happen at one time.

I'm hoping the 18's turn out really good. These aren't going to be 30mm X-max drivers, I'm talking to another company about those. The cheaper ones I'm talking about are more along the lines of 22mm. But they should be cheap enough to buy in multiples of 2 or 4 or 8 without killing the bank account. I'm still waiting on info about the beefed up 18's.

Looneybomber, you don't really want me to take a picture of my lady friends box do you??
post #642 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

The Econowave flat pack was the design that was going to originally be cut. But after Zilch died, things went on hold. They are coming though, with many options for different waveguides including the SEOS. I'm hoping to get about 30 different waveguides tested by other forum members within the next couple weeks as well.

Like I mentioned, there's a lot going on, it's just not being posted yet. But it's all about to happen at one time.

That is great to read...30 different waveguides though??? Wow!!

Quote:

I'm hoping the 18's turn out really good. These aren't going to be 30mm X-max drivers, I'm talking to another company about those. The cheaper ones I'm talking about are more along the lines of 22mm. But they should be cheap enough to buy in multiples of 2 or 4 or 8 without killing the bank account. I'm still waiting on info about the beefed up 18's.

This is new!! Not enough projects for you

What sensitivity? 22mm 18" with > 95dB sensitivity would be fun

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #643 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 03:00 PM

Liked: 10
Helped my buddy build the Overnight Sensations, and they are a huge hit! Sadly, you were out of flat packs at the time, and we had to cut plywood the old fashioned way. I'd like to grab one of these while I still can -- Maybe I'll make some bookshelves for myself or something.

Erich, do you want orders via PM or directly via email?
post #644 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Will one of the flat packs be for the original QSC horn Econowave?

Jim
post #645 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

Will one of the flat packs be for the original QSC horn Econowave?

Jim

Yeh, the guy could do that and likely will. I'm waist deep in trying to get the better performing SEOS waveguide produced. I had a serious set back thanks to a local company messing something up.

I mentioned 30 different waveguides to test. Actually, it could be more than that. Probably closer to 35 if I get them all in....not counting the upcoming different sized SEOS models. Or the full 1 piece baffles with the waveguide built right in.

I was hoping this stuff would go much faster, but one good thing is that landscaping will slow way down in about 1 month, and that's just about the time all of this will finally come together.

As for the flat packs. With the help of a certain member on these boards, and another local guy I know, and the CNC guy, the DIY community will have access to pretty much any speaker design out there. It's pretty exciting.
post #646 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Well I am hoping to get back in the high sensitivity game and would be interested in an option using mid/low cost components. Will someone possibly publish plans for the crossover? I found out i know someone who can build it for me if I get the plans
post #647 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

Looneybomber, you don't really want me to take a picture of my lady friend's box do you??

Oh that's funny stuff.

YID DIY
post #648 of 777 Old 08-29-2011, 07:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
There are many choices here

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...highlight=flex

When the SEOS waveguides come out Im hoping there will be someone offering XOs for them too.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #649 of 777 Old 09-05-2011, 06:57 PM

I'd be a buyer for any of the statement series flat packs.
post #650 of 777 Old 09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9_miles_up_ View Post

I'd be a buyer for any of the statement series flat packs.

You and many more.

post #651 of 777 Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The new smaller company will handle those type of designs. They'll cut smaller runs and I don't see any problems. It's just going to be about 4-6 weeks before things get rolling. But I'm still worried about shipping costs on those larger speakers. But we'll see how it goes.

If I can get PE to give kit discounts on the components, I can then take that discount off the shipping total. So it would certainly help out. It saved enough to ship the Overnights for free and will also save enough to ship the Nano Neos and a couple other small kits. It takes longer to box them up, but in the end it helps out. So that's good.

The larger company either didn't want to mess with Statements, or it wasn't worth their time, I'm not sure. They never really did much with it, but didn't hesitate on the smaller stuff. But The smaller items will total about 600 boxes for about the price of 100 Statements......I'm sort of guessing on that but it's probably close. Either way, the Statements will be an option soon and the smaller companies prices are right in line with the larger company. Plus I won't have the stress of worrying if 100 pair of huge speakers will be purchased or not. I don't know if 100 pair have ever been made. I'm sure you can understand why I was a bit worried. 10-20 being cut each time will be much better.
post #652 of 777 Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM

Wow, I can hardly believe that you're making all of this happen as I never would have thought that these designs would be obtainable via flat pack.

Erich, my two anarchy th kits got here, and you packed those as well or better than any retail company I can remember- thanks again. Amazing quality!

If I can swing the cost, I'd be interested in a full size Statement flat pack, or perhaps front baffle as they are supposedly amazing for sound/cost for 2 channel, probably sound quality I couldn't afford retail.
post #653 of 777 Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM

Erich, I was thinking of those larger flat packs for which you were getting quotes, and the potentially cost-prohibitive problem to ship those and difficulty packing them. If that is the case, perhaps as an alternative to having them cut in the Cincinnati area to be shipped nationwide to members, sub-groups of members in metro areas that had interest in those larger 'statement' type speakers or sub cabinets could have them built more regionally to be picked up.

For example, I'm in west texas and might be more than willing to take a 6 hr drive to say, Dallas or Austin to pick up a flat pack as part of a weekend trip from a cabinet maker there that cut flat packs for 20-30 other members from the TX, LA, OK area. Of course, it would be up to members to do legwork, but you've already done it, so we would just have to take your lead and go with it. Just an idea in the event shipping deters interested members.
post #654 of 777 Old 09-07-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 215
That's great news with regard to the Statements!

post #655 of 777 Old 09-07-2011, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks IronGlen. When I was helping with the big JBL group buy and some of the bigger Autotech horns I had to ship out about 5 pallets. One of the forum members found a place that will ship a pallet just about anywhere for $175 to the terminal or $215 to your door. Even with as few as 5 going to one general area, the price could be as little as $35 each.

As for the packaging; right when I was getting down to the last 15 Anarchy flat packs I found a neat thing to help wrap the kits.

I was looking for a chipper/shredder on Ebay and a local company happened to have one, but it wasn't very good. I clicked on the other items they were selling and they had a strapping machine for sale, but listed it as a "straper machine". Well I guess no one could find it because it was spelled wrong and called a strapper. Starting bid was $100.

I drove down to look at it and she said there was some issue with it advancing the line. I opened it up, peeked inside and saw a broken spring! Went back home and bid $100......waited......no one else bid! So a $2 spring fixed the machine!!!! It came with about 7000' of strapping material too. It's a great machine and made things a lot easier and quicker. Sure wish I had it for the first 100 Anarchy's and OS speakers.

It rained today, so I was able to get some of the OS speakers wrapped up with the machine. It's great.
post #656 of 777 Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Is there a picture of the full-size sensations yet?
post #657 of 777 Old 09-07-2011, 05:16 PM

Erich, I continue to be amazed at your resourcefulness

Has anyone used or looked into using Merranti plywood, aka void-free Philippine mahogany, for speaker builds? I came across a wood supplier that had it priced similarly to Baltic birch and wondered if it would finish nicer.
post #658 of 777 Old 09-12-2011, 09:23 AM

Erich,

I would like to get a pair of the overnight sensations that you are selling as a kit. How do I go about ordering? Thanks!
post #659 of 777 Old 09-20-2011, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got off the phone with the CNC company. They're cutting a test box tomorrow and said if all goes well they should have the Nano Neos and Overnight mtm's done on Friday. The super cheap Aurasound speakers will follow after that.

These are going to be 3/4" mdf. Here's what the just sent me.

The woofer on the Nano Neo probably won't be recessed because the flange on the Dayton woofer is only about 1.5mm thick. I asked the designer and he said it probably wasn't worth the effort. I can have them do it if you guys want, but I'm not so sure it's needed either. I also told them not to worry about recessing the baffle on these because I really don't think it helps enough to warrant doing.

I talked to the guy at PE and the discount on these should be enough to get the whole kit shipped for free like the OS speakers. I'll find out since it's been a little while. Worst case might be a $5 flat rate to ship 1 pair. I won't know until I weigh everything.

The free boxes I was using on the OS speakers are only 15" tall, so I'm not sure these flat packs will fit. We'll have to wait and see.
post #660 of 777 Old 09-20-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

By the way, I need a guinea pig to order from the new website. I think it's ready to try out, I just don't have it showing right now. So if anyone wants the Overnight complete kit for $61 shipped, let me know. Payments will be through Paypal, so no worries. PM me here and I'll send you the link.

I realize I have a massive amount of PM's to catch up on. I will do my best to get them today. I'm really sorry for letting some go so long. I was hoping to get the site done quicker but ran into problems. The new website will track everything so much easier.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page