Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 08:26 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I need 2 THT LPs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I would be very interested in two 6.5" TH.
post #93 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec4 View Post

I would be very interested in two 6.5" TH.

Me too.
post #94 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Nice website, much more than I would have expected.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #95 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Nice site indeed!

post #96 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That is such a nice website that my credit card just jumped out of my wallet and ran away..........that sucker is going to be putting in overtime once I can order!

Thanks for putting this together, a centralized DIY website is just what we needed.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #97 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 555
Thanks guys, hopefully it helps out. I'd be too embarrassed to say how much time I spent setting that group buy stuff up. But at least it's finally up and running.

I just wanted to make sure everyone had a way to get answers for all the items. Lilmike said he will type up more information about his design and I'll upload that when he sends it.

Interesting news, I got 3 estimates on those Anarchy cabinets. The first one was $160 each, that seemed high. The one I posted here was the second price, and then I got the third price yesterday. Ready? It was $186.40, he used 4'x8' sheets, but they weren't Baltic birch. He did say there was a little room on the bigger sheet to cut a couple other panels, but still way too high.

So it looks like the price we're getting is a better deal than I thought!! By a WIDE margin too. I'm hoping that the guys idea of rabbet joints doesn't change the price. That was for the 90 degree outside joints, so they lock together real nice. Dado cuts of the side panels was included in the original price. If the rabbet cut corners make it go up too much, I think we should pass. I'll let you know about that once he tells me.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #98 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Erich,
Thanks for your efforts! The website does look nice.

If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer !
post #99 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Once again, great job Erich!

Great contribution to the DIY community!

post #100 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I am continually amazed at the creativity in the DIY community! Very nice looking website.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #101 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, I hope it works out for everybody.

Kevin is offering to sell his Anarchy driver for only $65 if you get one of these flat packs. That way it's closer to the cost of the Tang Band 6.5". Maybe I should start a group buy thread on these 6.5" kits so we can discuss another possible speaker/sub flat pack.

What's the next design to ask about?

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #102 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 03:54 PM

Eric, that is a really nice website. Thanks for all you are doing to move so many projects forward. Those LeCleche horns are so tempting, but I am holding out for the SEOS.

Wayne
post #103 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Thanks guys, I hope it works out for everybody.

Kevin is offering to sell his Anarchy driver for $65 if you get one of these flat packs. That way it's closer to the cost of the Tang Band 6.5". Maybe I should start a group buy thread on these 6.5" kits so we can discuss another possible speaker/sub flat pack.

What's the next design to ask about?

That's nice of Kevin . I may be in for a couple of these .

If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer !
post #104 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Great contribution to the DIY community!

So.....doesn't this pre-fab process in some way sort of diminish the "Y" in DIY?

No knock on it, mind you, I think its great for those who'd rather assemble than make sawdust.

For me, one of the joys of the DIY builds is the measuring, cutting, assembling, sanding, finishing, then testing ,etc, etc....

MY THT Sub Build:
post #105 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post

So.....doesn't this pre-fab process in some way sort of diminish the "Y" in DIY?

No knock on it, mind you, I think its great for those who'd rather assemble than make sawdust.

For me, one of the joys of the DIY builds is the measuring, cutting, assembling, sanding, finishing, then testing ,etc, etc....

Nope, you still have to put it together, glue, screw, paint, etc.

You don't need to tell anyone you bought the kit! Take the box to the garage, throw some tools around, curse, make noise, wipe dirt on your face, then walk out with a finished speaker. No one will be the wiser.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #106 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:

... throw some tools around, curse, make noise, wipe dirt on your face, then walk out with a finished speaker.

Hmmm, obviously you must have been around while i was building my THT!

MY THT Sub Build:
post #107 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Erich, can you link the new Web site from post #90 to the first post in this thread for others?

Added
By the way, cool site and thanks for doing this.
post #108 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 06:07 PM

That offer on the Anarchy drivers pushed me over the edge. In for 2 of the 6.5" lilmike horns.
post #109 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Geeez Erich H, thats a crazy website for that amount of time! I know people that pay to have ones done that are half as good as that!! are you going to put in paypal or cc?

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #110 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please count me in for 2 flatpacks of the 6.5'' TH. I also would like to know if Lilmike is getting something (or if there's a way to Paypal a donation to him).

How do we get the $65 pricing from Kevin for the Anarchy driver?
post #111 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

If anybody has ideas to make this website better for all of us, I'll try to get it done.

Erich, did you consider adding a forum to that site? Because I need more audio forums to check obsessively when I've got waveguide fever!

DIY Synergy horn spreadsheet

XSim -free crossover designer and simulator
post #112 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Nah, there are many forms and degrees of DiY. Sometimes it is nice to take the easy way out or just get your feet wet with an easier build. It is all good. I bet the kits will inspire others to try their own in the future.

post #113 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Nope, you still have to put it together, glue, screw, paint, etc.

You don't need to tell anyone you bought the kit! Take the box to the garage, throw some tools around, curse, make noise, wipe dirt on your face, then walk out with a finished speaker. No one will be the wiser.
Just wanted to pop in and say that I am completely on board with Erich's efforts. Nice looking site by the way. The current stuff in the flat packs are the same designs I've posted, there are no changes. Anyone who's laid out a tapped horn, then realized they just drew a mirror image of what it was supposed to be will appreciate the CNC routed side panels, or am I the only one that's done that...several times...

For those of you that want to send something my way? This is not my day job, at least not yet... This is very much a hobby for me, one that I have enjoyed for 25 years or so now.

I did not do this do make a buck, I did it to try to make a difference. The DIY community has taught me a lot over the years, the least I can do is teach a little where I can and try to give a little back. If someone wants to contribute to Mike's beer fund? I certainly won't say no, Erich's working on a mechanism for that too. I'm also planning to put together a set of assembly instructions to make this as easy as it can be. Hopefully you can all learn from my mistakes (at least some of them...).

With the amazing software that David McBean has provided us (for free...thank you again!), these are not hard to model. With a basic set of tools, these are not that hard to construct. Cuts are generally straight and square. Right angles and butt-joints for the most part. I've used brad-nails as well as screws, both work great. With the great software we have available, such as REW and Holm Impulse (again - both free - thank you), accurate acoustic and impedance measurements are easy and within reach of most.

I will admit -these enclosures are hard to fold, at least for me. There are three-beer folds, and there are three week folds. Then, there's the Shiva....

Anyhow - as Erich said - what's next?

Some of you already know that I have a couple in the oven so to speak, but I'm not sure how shippable these will be - they'll wind up a bit larger than this one.

If I can ask one thing? Please keep the requests realistic. dB's got a horn that's nearly the size of my dorm room in college (I swear - he could hide 8 bodies in there....), and it only goes to ~11 Hz. Fatawan's Fatterhorn is not much smaller, his has a modeled corner of ~13 Hz. Probably only stuff 4 to 6 bodies in that one... Chasing the infrasonics with a horn lets the size get out of hand quickly. There are far more effective and far easier ways to get 10 Hz.

Raise that corner closer to 20 Hz? It's on. I can play that game all day long.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

post #114 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post

I'd think the best chance would be to call him and ask. He's a nice guy...

Tell him I sent you....

Once he stops laughing, I'm sure it will all work out.

post #115 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

How about a dual Shiva 12" kit with a tuning off 15-17hz. Would this be a kit that would be done? And as it is flat packed would you be able to get a price to ship to the UK?

Great idea!

cheers

Graham
post #116 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramerTC View Post
Please count me in for 2 flatpacks of the 6.5'' TH. I also would like to know if Lilmike is getting something (or if there's a way to Paypal a donation to him).

KramerTC, we'll go into the $65 Anarchy once I get closer to getting these. Basically you'll get an invoice number, or something like that, and you enter it on his site so he knows you bought the flat pack. He won't offer them for that price until these kits are nearing completion.

It was part of the idea to eventually put up some type of donation button for the designers. I've spoke to others about this before starting the site. Sort of like those "shareware" computer program sites. You get the program, if you really like it, you could donate to the designer. You don't HAVE to, but you can if you want.

I'm still thinking about how it's going to work out. So for now, it is what it is.

I really want to get as many designs to this guy as I can and as quickly as possible. That way he can start making things without thinking too much about changing the pricing structure. Sending him 5 designs next week should have him giving quotes before he starts these Anarchy's. And he'll also know that this isn't going to be some one time fling for 20 cabinets. It's a fairly big company, so if he eventually changes his pricing, it won't be mid way through, it'll be once he's cut a lot of cabinets for us already.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #117 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I added a link under the Anarchy webpage to track anyone that's interested in the group buy. Don't worry, if your name is there, but you weren't 100% sure yet, you didn't sign your life away! I'll just remove it. It just helps me track it better.

bwaslo, a full fledge forum would probably be too much for me to keep up with right now. I do want a page where people could leave design requests though. And I'm going to add a page that lists all the better companies that DIY guys buy from. No, it won't be paid advertising. I'm just going to put all the links in one area so they're easy to find. Like a DIY phonebook! That might be helpful.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #118 of 777 Old 01-26-2011, 11:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post
How about a dual Shiva 12" kit with a tuning off 15-17hz. Would this be a kit that would be done? And as it is flat packed would you be able to get a price to ship to the UK?

Great idea!

cheers

Graham
Hmmm, only 1000 liters.....only a four-body sub.....

Seriously - that's gonna be a big cabinet. When it comes to a tapped horn, Shiva's like their room. Ask me how I learned that....

Shipping might be prohibitive just due to the panel sizes.

post #119 of 777 Old 01-27-2011, 02:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmmm, only 1000 liters.....only a four-body sub.....

Seriously - that's gonna be a big cabinet. When it comes to a tapped horn, Shiva's like their room. Ask me how I learned that....

Shipping might be prohibitive just due to the panel sizes.

I got it down to about 680 litres with a tune to about 17hz for two drivers. As you may be aware I have been trying to learn how to design and build one but I can't get my head around the folding. My brain just cannot compute it hence asking the question. Even if it was to get the design so I could get the wood cut up.

cheers

Graham
post #120 of 777 Old 01-27-2011, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

lilmike, Erich,

GREAT JOB with the designs and the flat pack offer!!! DIY owes the both of you big time!!!

Question... how about a "tall" version of the Anarchy horn? As in half the number of folds in order to fit them in a column, behind or under a sofa, behind a long TV stand, etc... basically anywhere that floorspace is at a premium. Example: Footprint would be approx. 8" x 10"? I know that the physical measurements would be different than the example but you get the picture.

Think a "THT LP" of the Anarchy horn BUT PLEASE do not put the mouth on the end like the LP but rather on the front baffle.

Hope I'm making sence...
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page