Any Interest in Cheap "Flat Pack" Enclosures? - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 622
I considered the statements but my need was for speakers that I could stick ass to the wall behind an acoustically transparent screen and the design really isn't intended for that orientation. I considered the Khanspires but ended up with the 4pi

The Khanspires:

A CNC machined version would speed up construction as I can see spending a day (or two) measuring and cutting 15 holes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I considered the statements but my need was for speakers that I could stick ass to the wall behind an acoustically transparent screen and the design really isn't intended for that orientation. I considered the Khanspires but ended up with the 4pi

The Khanspires:

A CNC machined version would speed up construction as I can see spending a day (or two) measuring and cutting 15 holes.

Things like this make me think that for mains a baffle only option would REALLY speed up 5.1 and 7.1 builds. also you wouldn't be spending a ton on shipping for an entire flatpack. The benefit would of course depend on the build and size of the speakers but i think in general it would help a lot.

Brian
My Recession busters:

Computer speakers w/sub
post #183 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Does anyone have a nicer drawing of the statement cut sheet?

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #184 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 10:43 AM

How about the infinity kappa build here : http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=45528

I've been thinking about it, if i could order the flat pack I'd take a couple and get going on it.
post #185 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Does anyone have a nicer drawing of the statement cut sheet?

I don't know of any others, but if I get a chance I will peruse some other threads.

post #186 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM

I'd be definitely interested in one of the three statements, the regular, the mini or the monitor. A closed design that can go against a wall is what I would be looking for, but beggars can't be choosers.

there seems to be a sealed statement design on the site:

Update 2/08
Sealed version CAD drawings
added courtesy of Brian Walter and
modified for sealed by Drew Mekus

http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/St...led1_24_08.pdf

so it looks like we could make a sealed version work. but for cost issues I'm sure we would have to choose one or the other, open or sealed
post #187 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john enea View Post

I'd be definitely interested in one of the three statements, the regular, the mini or the monitor. A closed design that can go against a wall is what I would be looking for, but beggars can't be choosers.

there seems to be a sealed statement design on the site:

Update 2/08
Sealed version CAD drawings
added courtesy of Brian Walter and
modified for sealed by Drew Mekus

http://www.speakerdesignworks.com/St...led1_24_08.pdf

so it looks like we could make a sealed version work. but for cost issues I'm sure we would have to choose one or the other, open or sealed

If most people plan on using a subwoofer, then the cabinets should just be sealed. I'm sure they're smaller too.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #188 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If most people plan on using a subwoofer, then the cabinets should just be sealed. I'm sure they're smaller too.

Yes, but a lot of people also choose to listen to 2 channel music as well, ala Direct (no processing) without subs. The Statements have great low end!

post #189 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Yes, but a lot of people also choose to listen to 2 channel music as well, ala Direct (no processing) without subs. The Statements have great low end!

exactly, I would use them for 2 channel vinyl audio only.
post #190 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Someone over at PE said they weigh about 120lbs each....empty. Not sure how true that is.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #191 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 03:42 PM

For Full Size Statements and similar I think the baffle's, window bracing, and tunnels for CNC, the rest should be up to the builder thereby reducing weight by 60%. The thing is they have 1.25" thick baffles, so those alone will be heavy.
post #192 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Someone over at PE said they weigh about 120lbs each....empty. Not sure how true that is.

Sounds a little heavy to me. But, a whole sheet of 3/4" MDF only weighs 96 lbs if I recall.

I am not sure how much is in each cabinet.

post #193 of 777 Old 02-03-2011, 07:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Last week I met a guy in Northern Kentucky that offered to make up a bunch of flat pack (aka "knock down") speaker cabinets. His prices seem pretty good. I'd like to get some ideas on what you guys might be interested in. Sort of like a group buy kind of deal......without the need to buy first. Because the guy lives close enough, I could simply buy 10 of each design and store them myself. Once/if they sell, I'd just go pick up more when you guys needed them.

Any other ideas? As long as there's some interest, I'll do it. I just need to know what you want.

Beginnings of the DIY Group website:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

I know the site is not completed yet.

You're more than welcome to do flat pack cabinets for my speaker kits at www.clearwaveloudspeaker.com. You'll find the cabinet pdf downloads at my site. I can offer free shipping (US48) for the Dynamic Series kits to anyone who participates in the group buy cabinet deal. I'd think the Dynamic Series might attract the most attention of all my kit offerings because of the number of holes, but I'm open to giving out cabinet plans for any of them. The Dynamic Series have been reviewed here and Affordable Audio, just for reference.

Jed
post #194 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I would love to the Dynamic Series. In fact, I prefer the longer narrower center channel over the Statement Center.

However, it is a significant jump in build price.

post #195 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDiver View Post

For Full Size Statements and similar I think the baffle's, window bracing, and tunnels for CNC, the rest should be up to the builder thereby reducing weight by 60%. The thing is they have 1.25" thick baffles, so those alone will be heavy.

That's not too bad of an idea. I just wonder if people would actually spend the money on just the baffle.

Is it the same on the sealed and ported designs?

I know the CNC guy can get material that's 1.25" thick. But I'm not sure how much of a demand there would be. That's something where we would have to set up a true "Group Buy" where guys would have to pretty much promise that they were going to buy them once they were made. Right now with the Anarchy flat pack, if they don't buy it, someone else probably will.

Jed, I'm going to ask the guy what his minimum quantity would be per design. Now if I found someone here that could do the AutoCad drawings where he could just load them in his machine, he'd probably do a lower quantity per speaker.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #196 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Liked: 11
I can supply CAD files, but he'll have to set the depth for the flush routering, etc.

Also, you guys know that I charge the retail price of all the parts, there's no upcharge for my R&D and the crossovers come assembled on Mundorf Matrix boards with quick connects, so no soldering in required as long as you have some good crimping pliers!

Regarding cost savings:

I've got a more cost effective RS Series version of the Dynamic Series finished and online now. There's a significant cost savings using the RS line of drivers. The pricing on my site includes everything you need to build the speakers, so while it might look a bit more expensive at first, don't forget that everything you need minus the wood is included in the price and a lot of the BOMs posted online for other speakers do not include these items.

FREE shipping for anyone that gets the flat pack.

Thanks!

Jed
post #197 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not too bad of an idea. I just wonder if people would actually spend the money on just the baffle.

I think I suggested that at one point (or if not I had that in my mind). That's where most of the work comes in. I mean the Statements have a litte extra work with the mid tunnel, but still just simple wood cuts, clamp and glue.

I would spend the money on just the baffle this time of year. It's too cold to drag the tools outside. I am getting lazy in my old age.

post #198 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed K. View Post

I can supply CAD files, but he'll have to set the depth for the flush routering, etc.

Also, you guys know that I charge the retail price of all the parts, there's no upcharge for my R&D and the crossovers come assembled on Mundorf Matrix boards with quick connects, so no soldering in required as long as you have some good crimping pliers!

Regarding cost savings:

I've got a more cost effective RS Series version of the Dynamic Series finished and online now. There's a significant cost savings using the RS line of drivers. The pricing on my site includes everything you need to build the speakers, so while it might look a bit more expensive at first, don't forget that everything you need minus the wood is included in the price and a lot of the BOMs posted online for other speakers do not include these items.

FREE shipping for anyone that gets the flat pack.

There is no question there is tremendous value there. I know personally that Jed is fantastic to deal with. It is certainly worth considering.

For me, I just had my heart set on the Statements this go round. But, then again...

post #199 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 AM

I would be interested in the Dynamic Series as well as the statements and the Anarchy. the Dynamic width is nice as the place I'd be putting them is a little narrow.

Flat packs really helps those of us who are woodwork challenged.
post #200 of 777 Old 02-04-2011, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I can certainly respect the desire for a slim footprint.
I just moved to a larger house with a larger theater setup. My old setup is what turned me onto the Dynamic series and Lineup Maxx builds over the wider footprint in the Statements.
However, now that I have a little more room...

Also, I always wanted a ribbon tweeter config.

Of course, I am sure the Dynamic series could be customized as well.

post #201 of 777 Old 02-05-2011, 05:09 PM

Count me in on the THT, either LP or standard size.

I have 0 woodworking/cutting tools so I contacted one of the BFM Authorized Builders to see about getting one made for me. He quoted full retail price at $2500.

post #202 of 777 Old 02-05-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover View Post

Count me in on the THT, either LP or standard size.

I have 0 woodworking/cutting tools so I contacted one of the BFM Authorized Builders to see about getting one made for me. He quoted full retail price at $2500.

MAP for the THT is $1199. But shipping it would cost another $200 minimum, as it would have to be palletized and shipped via truck freight.
You can buy plans and have it built by any local cabinetmaker. Just make sure he follows the plans. The worst guys in that respect are furniture makers, who think they know everything there is to know about carpentry. They don't know diddly about speakers.

Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design

The Laws of Physics aren't swayed by opinion.
post #203 of 777 Old 02-06-2011, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

The worst guys in that respect are furniture makers, who think they know everything there is to know about carpentry. They don't know diddly about speakers.

Not all of them buddy!

LOL

This furniture maker has been doing cabinets for almost thirty years. As in loudspeaker cabinets.

But I see your point. Follow the instructions and you get what was designed. Don't and you end up with a mess.
Mark

Mark Kravchenko

Consultant and Designer

post #204 of 777 Old 02-07-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Any updates?

post #205 of 777 Old 02-07-2011, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Any updates?

I talked with the CNC company on Friday. He said they should have the Anarchy flat pack cut around mid week. I will take photos and put it together that day. If all goes well, they will start cutting the rest.

He said he will give other estimates for other designs, but I'm not really sure what to send him yet. I knew the Anarchy kit would have enough interest to make it worth doing.

But I don't know what other design would be get that much interest. Having only 5 people wanting a design probably won't make it worth the CNC guy's time to program the machine. I asked over on the PE website and didn't get a lot of responses, which surprised me.

I suck at SketchUp or any CAD program for that matter. The Anarchy layout that was posted in the thread made it very easy for them to estimate. If anyone wants to help get a design laid out like that, I will get the estimates and do the leg work. I'm just not good at SketchUp yet.

lilmike is working on a few different designs with higher tuning and lower tuning for much larger cabinets. Once those are done and tested, i'll look into that option as well.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #206 of 777 Old 02-07-2011, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the update.

I am sure hoping there will be some other designs available. I would guess more than a couple are interested in the Statements.

post #207 of 777 Old 02-07-2011, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

You will probably get a better idea of how many of each design people want when they are officially available and at what price.

If it's reasonable and some build threads start from the kits....

post #208 of 777 Old 02-07-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

It's the old cliche, chicken or the egg, if you build it they will come type thing.

post #209 of 777 Old 02-11-2011, 06:28 AM

Liked: 12
Great concept, and thank you very much for doing this!

Have you considered posting this on audiocircle? There are a lot of DIYers who frequent there, plus there are manufacturers who sell kits there. Your offering would generate a lot of interest.
post #210 of 777 Old 02-11-2011, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't posted this anywhere else yet because I want to get the first test box put together first to make sure everything works out okay.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page