Any Interest in Cheap "Flat Pack" Enclosures? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Last week I met a guy in Northern Kentucky that offered to make up a bunch of flat pack (aka "knock down") speaker cabinets. His prices seem pretty good. I'd like to get some ideas on what you guys might be interested in. Sort of like a group buy kind of deal......without the need to buy first. Because the guy lives close enough, I could simply buy 10 of each design and store them myself. Once/if they sell, I'd just go pick up more when you guys needed them.

I was talking to Lilmike about his Anarchy 25hz tapped horn and he thinks it's a great idea to make a knock down kit for it. The pricing to use Baltic birch, cut all driver holes, cut grooves to line up inner panels, dado edges to fit panels together, pilot holes drilled where needed, holes for terminal plates, and of course all panels is coming in around $70, maybe a bit less.

(Update): Kevin H has agreed to sell his Anarchy woofer for only $65 if you purchase this flat pack.

I've asked the CNC guy about other projects and he said he'll do anything. So if you've got any ideas for different cabinets or baffles, please let me know and I'll get some prices.

Baltic plywood layered baffles?

Econowave cabinets cut for specific waveguides?

Subwoofer enclosures?

I thought the layered baffles might be a neat idea. He could cut the design with large roundovers and simply drill 2-3 pilot holes in each layer that could be lined up with wooden dowels. Stack to the height you needed for whatever subwoofer size you had.

Any other ideas? As long as there's some interest, I'll do it. I just need to know what you want.

Beginnings of the DIY Group website:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

I know the site is not completed yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is that $70 shipped? One of the biggest reasons of mine for cutting and building my own cabinet were shipping costs. To ship a 12" HSU sub from California would cost $250 I do live over the Pacific in Hawaii, however. I suppose this would be primarily for AVS members living in the upper 48 states?
post #3 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd have to charge for shipping.

But for that Anarchy cabinet, it's pretty light and could fit in a really slim shipping box.

Also, his quote was for real Baltic birch cut from the 5'x5' panels. He told me that the "real" stuff only comes in 5'x5' panels. Not sure how true that is, maybe he was talking about a certain size. I've seen it Home Depot in 4'x8' sheets, but I think that was just birch plywood.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #4 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 02:00 PM

Liked: 10
Real baltic birch does come in 4x8 sheets at specialty wood dealers, but at about $100 per sheet, it's not really a better price/sqft price than the 5x5s, so unless your cutsheet requires sizes that fit better on the 4x8 it's not really a better deal.

Baltic birch isn't available at HD or Lowes. The birch plywood there is a significantly lower grade/type.

Best,
C.
post #5 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
All real BB I've seen around here is in 5'x5' sheets from 3mm up to 24mm.
post #6 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM

The Plywood Company here in Fort Worth stocks an amazing selection of plywoods and hardwoods, and carries 12 and 18mm 13ply b/bb veneer core "Russian Birch" in 4x8 sheets. There are more options in thicknesses in 5x5s, but those two in the 4x8s.

BUT, with all things come a price. The 4x8s are $105/ea = $3.28/sqft, and the 5x5s are $47 each = $1.88/sqft. You'd have to have a really good reason to pay the increase in cost/sqft with the larger sheet!

But all this is neither here nor there. Thanks Erich for looking into a option for quality cabinetry for people that don't have access to woodworking equipment.

Best,
C.
post #7 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

Erich ,
I would jump on one of those 25 hz tapped horn knockdowns in a heartbeat to use that TB sub I just bought from you in.

If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer !
post #8 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 305
I'd be down for a anarchy kit or 2!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #9 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rightbrained View Post

Erich ,
I would jump on one of those 25 hz tapped horn knockdowns in a heartbeat to use that TB sub I just bought from you in.

Didn't even know that was you over at PE when I was selling some of my gear. You should have said something!

I'm trying to set up a website to list all these future "group buys" on so it's easier to track and link to. Not sure what else to call it though. It's not really a group buy, because no one has to promise to buy the stuff. More like: if the group wants it, and the design is good, I'll try to get it done. Sort of like the waveguide thread going on right now.

As mentioned, as long as there's interest from the DIY guys, I don't mind picking the stuff up and shipping it out. I've got the storage space, so that's no problem. I was looking up some shipping boxes rated at 200lbs, and they're under $2, so that's not a deal breaker.

If you guys have other ideas for flat packs or baffles, let me know.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #10 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I need to ask the designer of the 'Overnight Sensations" at PE to see if he'd mind those being done as a flat pack. They get really good reviews from the people that built them. And their size would make for REALLY cheap flat packs I bet.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #11 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I need to ask the designer of the 'Overnight Sensations" at PE to see if he'd mind those being done as a flat pack. They get really good reviews from the people that built them. And their size would make for REALLY cheap flat packs I bet.

Good idea there!

If at first you dont succeed , get a bigger hammer !
post #12 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Liked: 13
You have GOT to be kidding me!!!! I literally just finished putting in an order to have a pair of statement monitors made. I am sure what I am paying is higher than what you'll be charging but i really didn't want to have all the wood dust and tool buying that goes along with that aspect of DIY. Though, If this works out, I might be interested in climbing the Statement food chain!

I'm getting there....!!!
post #13 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 05:23 PM

Liked: 17
I would DEFINITELY be in for a kit for $70 + shipping, that sounds very reasonable! Especially if they come with CNC grooved panels to make it easier to assemble. The main reason I've put off building one is because I'm not much of a woodworker, and I know it would take a ton of time for me to cut and then meticulously assemble everythig, so a kit like this would be right up my alley!!
post #14 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerdic View Post

The Plywood Company here in Fort Worth stocks an amazing selection of plywoods and hardwoods, and carries 12 and 18mm 13ply b/bb veneer core "Russian Birch" in 4x8 sheets. There are more options in thicknesses in 5x5s, but those two in the 4x8s.

BUT, with all things come a price. The 4x8s are $105/ea = $3.28/sqft, and the 5x5s are $47 each = $1.88/sqft. You'd have to have a really good reason to pay the increase in cost/sqft with the larger sheet!

But all this is neither here nor there. Thanks Erich for looking into a option for quality cabinetry for people that don't have access to woodworking equipment.

Best,
C.

Russian Birch is good stuff. The only place I've found BB locally is Woodcraft- 5 x 5 sheets IIRC. Way nicer than the stuff available at Lowes or Home Repo.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #15 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
It would be cool if there was an agreed upon TH design that could be CNC'ed out and available as a kit, ala DTS-10 style.

The trouble is agreeing on a design...

post #16 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

It would be cool if there was an agreed upon TH design that could be CNC'ed out and available as a kit, ala DTS-10 style.

The trouble is agreeing on a design...

It would be best to go middle of the road on a design like this. Design a TH with an economical driver probably 12" and try to make the enclosure reasonably sized. It could also doesn't need to reach down to 12hz for the majority of buyers. Extension to 18-20hz should be doable while retaining good response to close to 100hz. This style of TH should appeal to many.
post #17 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

It would be best to go middle of the road on a design like this. Design a TH with an economical driver probably 12" and try to make the enclosure reasonably sized. It could also doesn't need to reach down to 12hz for the majority of buyers. Extension to 18-20hz should be doable while retaining good response to close to 100hz. This style of TH should appeal to many.

Agreed. Or even the THT would be nice for starters. Perhaps Bill F. would give discounts on the plans if necessary.

Super cheap driver, great results, would be a good candidate for CNC cuts/angles. Although, 1/2" plywood would work just as well and be cheaper and cheaper to ship.....

post #18 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I agree, the THT (either version) would be great in a flat-pack - I'd probably be in for a couple.
post #19 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zora View Post

I agree, the THT (either version) would be great in a flat-pack - I'd probably be in for a couple.

Forget about Bill agreeing to sell flat packs here. If anyone will sell THT flat packs it will be Leland from SpeakerHardware.com. He is beginning to offer flat packs for some of Bill's top speaker designs.

We will need to design our own horn whether it be a TH or FH.
post #20 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
this is a very cool offer erich.

my first thought would be for flat pack 4pi's. coordinate with z for which would be the most popular econowave design, perhaps something that uses a 12" drive.

second thought would be for a dual opposed sealed sub that uses av15h's or the dayton dvc's, or even enclosures for single drivers with cutouts for various plate amps.

of course, the more complicated the enclosure, the greater the benefit of this service, so i'd also look to a partnership with bfm to provide his designs in flat pack.

edit: the anarchy is a great candidate for flat packs too.

watch for wood warping while sitting in inventory.

again...very cool way to contribute!

Listen. It's All Good.
post #21 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Neat Idea. Id buy one of the Anarchy packs just to check it out. Some small boxes would be cool too. I still have all my original Recession Buster hardware that Ive never touched.

I was going to make them into PC speakers for my kid ; throw the anarchy in there and
he'd be in hog heaven.

I prefer to cut my own wood but the last three years time has been impossible for me and something like this could get me off my azz.
post #22 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Okay guys, it's settled, I'll definitely have him make up a bunch of the 6.5" tapped horns that lilmike designed.

I will get a CNC "prototyped" kit made up next week to put together myself. If there's any changes to be made, he'll do it. Maybe I can get these started next week. He did say he would stack all the parts flat on a skid so no worry about warping panels. I'd just package them up as needed and send them out.

I contacted Paul about his Overnight Sensation speakers. Hopefully that will be okay with him because everyone that builds them gives high praise.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #23 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

this is a very cool offer erich.

my first thought would be for flat pack 4pi's. coordinate with z for which would be the most popular econowave design, perhaps something that uses a 12" drive.

second thought would be for a dual opposed sealed sub that uses av15h's or the dayton dvc's, or even enclosures for single drivers with cutouts for various plate amps.

Thanks LTD02, if you think the 4pi's should be done, let me know who to contact, because I'm not sure. Once Zilch joins the online crowd again, I'll talk to him about some flat pack kits that have the recess cut for whichever waveguide/driver the person wants. I haven't seen Zilch post for quite some time, I hope he's doing alright.

I don't know if Bill F would mind flat packs offered with his design or not. I guess there's got to be a way to work that out though.

Also, if you guys can come up with some subwoofer designs that could do really well with multiple driver brands, I'm in for that too.

I was going to ask about a dual 12" vertical design. Maybe the baffle being layered birch with large round overs.

Let the ideas fly, I will get this done.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #24 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

for the bfm designed flat packs add $15 or whatever he asks to include the plans. that way everybody gets a piece. i wasn't suggesting that he get cut out...his plans are a song all things considered and he deserves his.

i haven't seen z in while either. maybe he is just taking a break to focus on other things.

wayne parham designed the 4pi, though it looks very similar to the jbl cinema 3677. wayne has been a great contributor over the years to diy on this board and others. one nice thing about this design is that is a proven winner. it pretty much does everything right.
pispeakers.com

Listen. It's All Good.
post #25 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

for the bfm designed flat packs add $15 or whatever he asks to include the plans. that way everybody gets a piece. i wasn't suggesting that he get cut out...

Yeh, I certainly realize that. Just wondering how that would work out. I don't mind the honor system for how many were shipped, but not everyone believes in such things these days. Not sure how much it would cost to ship the larger panels in that design, but I could find out as long as Bill likes the idea.

I'll try to get this website set up correctly to track all the DIY designs, maybe we could have step by step photos from other members as they build. They could be posted with each design to make things easier. Then have a photo gallery section showing the finished projects. Might be pretty neat.

I sent an email to pispeakers.com to see what Wayne thinks.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #26 of 777 Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

he has a page on his site that quotes me as "publius".

it is one of the pages on controlled directivity.

feel free to reference me if it will help.

this is the link:

http://audioroundtable.com/forum/ind...3033#msg_53033

Listen. It's All Good.
post #27 of 777 Old 01-23-2011, 12:51 AM

I'd second the idea of cnc'ing some of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs: Tubas, Titans, DR's, and others would be hot sellers... last I heard, Bill doesn't mind people building his stuff for sale to others, as long as each time a kit is sold, a separated set of plans is purchased from his website and included with the final product... one could even get on the website's free "builders' list" if it all worked out as planned... his plans are very reasonably priced, I have most of them, but haven't ventured past autotuba because of the time involved in doing all the cutting and assembling... if the parts were cnc'ed, it would make things hella easier...
post #28 of 777 Old 01-23-2011, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Agreed. It would be nice to have a small suite of designs. Bill's designs are proven and he the plans even at $15 are cheap.

I built, loved, then sold my THT. I would gladly order another if all I had to was glue it up and go. I am not a big fan of dragging the tools outside when it is 9 degrees F here.

Like I said, he may even give a small discount in bulk, but even if not $15 is a small price to pay for a proven design.

post #29 of 777 Old 01-23-2011, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

wayne parham designed the 4pi, though it looks very similar to the jbl cinema 3677. wayne has been a great contributor over the years to diy on this board and others. one nice thing about this design is that is a proven winner. it pretty much does everything right.
pispeakers.com

Wayne contacted me, he seems like a nice guy.

Wayne doesn't think there's a big enough demand to justify the flat packs on his regular speakers. He said he's got access to a cabinet builder for his more elaborate horn designs and can make the knock down kits for those when someone needs them.

What speaker/sub is next to consider?

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #30 of 777 Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Ya, I think regular speakers would be somewhat of a waste for the flat pack scenario.

The real value comes into play when there are angles and/or slots, etc. (ala horn) that make the cuts more difficult than just throwing a couple panels together to make a cube variant.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page