Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 310 Old 10-14-2013, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I actually moved my floor standing speakers closer to front wall to improve my SBIR.

Yep, so did I.

I don't necessarily think the "3D" diffusion (which is what the rest of the industry calls 2D diffusion) is a great choice for the ceiling though in the case of a controlled directivity horn with tight vertical directivity (which I presume the one LTD showed has) then anything including bare ceiling probably works about as well as anything else. In the case of speakers with wide, constant directivity in the vertical plane then 2D diffusion (possibly with some splitting action) to throw some energy onto the sidewalls is probably better. Although, whoa, this just made me rethink my ceiling plans. Thanks for that! Time to go back and look at my off-axis responses. LOL.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 310 Old 10-14-2013, 06:45 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by omholt View Post

You first decide the concept and goal and then treat accordingly.

Exactly, determine the model you want to emulate, pursue it accordingly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by omholt View Post

Localhost's writing and advices in this thread is far better.

Spot on, SAC as well, but he no longer frequents these parts. There's decent acoustic discussion here at AVS, but much is either just skimming the surface or some is just dead wrong. Local is the exception.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post

Wouldn't this work... Make your whole room absorb and then place diffusers where you want to have reflections?

Yes, and I've often recommended it. Full bass trapping, full attenuation of LF decay times, then bring back the appropriate MF/HF returns. Ideally, one needs 12"-24" on each boundary to dedicate toward treatment strategy. Yeah, very few have this type of thickness to forfeit, but I did say ideally. There is some fascinating, tuned membrane absorption techniques, so one can do without all that thickness. But membrane and velocity absorption combined is a solid strategy too.

Like this (the colored areas representing full thickness absorption), then face the various surfaces with re-directed, diffused, scattered returns;

Check out MyRoom whitepaper.
ellisr63 likes this.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #303 of 310 Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneybomber View Post

I love all of the talk about diffusers, absorbers, etc., but, where does a person find acoustically transparent fabric that is printed with art?

I need to make some absorbers for the theater room, so solid colors are fine, but I am also redoing my living room décor. With hardwood floors and flat ceilings, I need something to help absorb sound and look good. I can find a lot of pre-built panels that range in the $300-450 range (ouch!), but I want just the cloth, rolled up in a tube, so I can make my own absorbers.

Looney, check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap

representative pics of custom printed panels: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/300#post_23676059
ellisr63 and popalock like this.
post #304 of 310 Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:

I love all of the talk about diffusers, absorbers, etc., but, where does a person find acoustically transparent fabric that is printed with art?

I need to make some absorbers for the theater room, so solid colors are fine, but I am also redoing my living room décor. With hardwood floors and flat ceilings, I need something to help absorb sound and look good. I can find a lot of pre-built panels that range in the $300-450 range (ouch!), but I want just the cloth, rolled up in a tube, so I can make my own absorbers.

There is no such thing as art printed cloth. You would probably have to have that done for you using some AT cloth of your choice. But...after the printer, I'm betting it's no longer as AT as it was previously.

I'm really glad this video was done, and is posted here. I've been trying to explain these necessities for years, but without the nice drawings and simple (general) explanations, most people are like "I'd rather spend another $500 on cables" not realizing how much they are leaving on the table due to lack of treatment. If you have even the most basic equipment, getting the room to sound right is the greatest bang for the buck you do!
ellisr63 likes this.
post #305 of 310 Old 10-14-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely Raven View Post

There is no such thing as art printed cloth. You would probably have to have that done for you using some AT cloth of your choice. But...after the printer, I'm betting it's no longer as AT as it was previously.

There are ways to do this:

Just got to find a suitable fabric.....and a dye sublimation printer that can handle it......good luck with that biggrin.gif
ellisr63 likes this.

Peter the Greek

Downunder Theatre MkII
Redefining snail pace construction
"what is worth knowing is difficult to learn"

post #306 of 310 Old 10-14-2013, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:

Others who know better can correct me, but I'd think it would be pretty hard to affect absorption much unless the paint is really caked on.

Transmission would be another matter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post

...a controlled directivity horn with tight vertical directivity (which I presume the one LTD showed has) then anything including bare ceiling probably works about as well as anything else.

For anything the size of a SEOS-12 or smaller, the vertical directivity falls off below about 1.5 kHz.

Noah
post #307 of 310 Old 10-15-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvr79 View Post

Quote:

Looney, check out this thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap

representative pics of custom printed panels: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1316623/diy-custom-printed-movie-poster-acoustic-panels-cheap/300#post_23676059
+1, spoonflower has been a great find for the DIY AVS person.

They pass the sound fine, no clogging the threads/etc.
_MG_3025.jpg

zoom to show specific thread detail, easy to breath thru
_MG_3025%2520-%2520Version%25202.jpg

Ha, I even made a short geeky video
post #308 of 310 Old 10-15-2013, 10:30 AM

Liked: 21
Awesome! Thanks for that video - if that printed cloth looks as good as it seems, then I have some great ideas I think you guys will like!
post #309 of 310 Old 10-15-2013, 10:52 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Others who know better can correct me, but I'd think it would be pretty hard to affect absorption much unless the paint is really caked on.

Transmission would be another matter.

Exactly

Considering the theoretical ideal properties of treatment panels (broad and even absorption), a certain level of facing can often help even out the absorption, ... and the room's decay characteristics. Craft paper facing begins to return energy around 1khz, plastic pool liner stuff around 500hz, and mass loaded vinyl, 1/2lb MLV, somewhere around 250hz.

Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #310 of 310 Old 01-22-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Sorry to wake an old thread, but what is the best software to evaluate diffusion and absorption characteristics of a room?

I have a lot of semicircular diffusers arbitrarily mounted on my side wall first reflection sites and bass traps in the corners and soffit regions of the room. I do have my diffusers covered with fabric for decorative purposes despite their possible conversion into absorptive areas.

Overall my current setup sounds phenomenal and I don't really have much to complain about. I guess I will be opening pandora's box if I measure now... I do have some things I can still do with the ceiling if I needed further adjustment.

In the room now, if you speak at a whisper at one end of the room, you can hear it really well at the other end. If you drop a pin on the hard floor you can hear it anywhere in the room. I don't think the absorption is too much and you could effectively give a speech in the room and everyone including the speaker would feel very comfortable. I know none of this is the best objective data.

I need a simply way to test the degree of total diffusion and absorption using my mac laptop or pc laptop if I must. I am honestly not entirely even sure of what metrics are most useful in measurement.

Blazar!
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page