Warpdrv's / Funky Waves 18.0 - LMS build - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Looks like something from the dark ages! LOL. Defo not my taste, prefer modern furniture. Bet its well made though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Wow, I like it! Nice quality construction.

post #63 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Now that is what I call ART......

Very Classy... !!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #64 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm speechless Warp! That is sooooo sexy. Gives me some ideas for my next subwoofer adventure. Did I here you correctly..... replacement for the SM? Didn't you just get that beast late last year? Why the sudden change? As a fello SM owner, I will be eagerly awaiting your impressions/comparisons.

Nathan, are you build to order only, or do you keep a small inventory? I would love to stop by to see, and maybe even hear, some of your work next time I'm down your way visiting family. I could definitely see some Funky Waves in my future.
post #65 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let's just say that I in no way want to suggest that the SM is some sort of underperformer here, it's an excellent product for those looking for very impressive clean output in a reasonable sized sealed cab, it's pretty much at the top of the heap here, but the SQ, tightness/accuracy just doesn't match that of the 18" LMS driver.

Let's also be clear that the LMS is not an efficient driver which to get the best from it requires a good deal more power, and you'll likely still get more output (surface area x excursion) from the SM.

There are always trade offs, but having the XLERATORS just in the other room, it's hard to ignore the differences when I spend such a great deal of time with both, plus the opportunity just seemed to present itself

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #66 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds reasonable.

I'll be watching with interest...
post #67 of 206 Old 02-11-2011, 10:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
that sub looks fantastic mr. funk. just curious, after the routing of the roundovers, how was the glue cleaned from the veneer.

warp, i think you can say that you got your money's worth there! the roundover option really provides a "finished" look.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #68 of 206 Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Wow.

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #69 of 206 Old 02-12-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 304
That looks very nice!!! I contacted Nathan on getting 4 build but 7cf in size. Still kinda wafting on the idea of paying double for the cabs as I did for the drivers lol
But I started saving my pennnys and have enough for 2 already and should have enough for the other 2 in a month or two. Can't wait!!!!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #70 of 206 Old 02-12-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
That round over top and bottom really adds to the look of the original.

Very nice!

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #71 of 206 Old 02-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

That last photo is from a professional cabinet shop.
The white rack in the background is used to let cabinet doors dry. It appears he either owns a cabinet shop or he subs it out. Either way they do nice work.

I do all the designs, woodworking aside from the CNC work, and finishing myself. I do have help when needed, and I have a partnership with two other businesses. One is a fully equipped machine shop, with CNC milling capabilities (located on the same premises, there are 2-4 people working here between the wood shop and machine shop), and the other is a kitchen cabinet shop with finishing and CNC routering capabilities (7-8 people there). We all do work for each other, specific to our abilities. It has been a very good arrangement and gives all of us the ability to offer our customers with a wide variety of services, as well as integrating wood and metal into cabinetry and speaker designs.

Quote:

Looks great. I love the colour of padauk, but the dust is a pain (it's an irritant). It'll darken quite a bit over time. Oxidation changes padauk quite a bit to a sort of blood red/brown colour.

Paduak is one of my favorite woods, I like how it works and the color is so nice. It can be somewhat irritating though, mostly seems to dry out the eyes.

Quote:

Nathan, are you build to order only, or do you keep a small inventory? I would love to stop by to see, and maybe even hear, some of your work next time I'm down your way visiting family. I could definitely see some Funky Waves in my future.

We mostly build to order but we do have a showroom and always have a good selection of products to demo, as well as samples of finishes etc. If you call or email when you know when you would like to come I can let you know what all we have set up at the time.

Quote:

that sub looks fantastic mr. funk. just curious, after the routing of the roundovers, how was the glue cleaned from the veneer.

warp, i think you can say that you got your money's worth there! the roundover option really provides a "finished" look.

I am careful not to get much glue on the veneer and with proper sanding what does get on can be removed, using the right grits on the specific wood as well as the type of backing pad used on the sander make all the difference, experience is important, and almost every wood requires different treatment.

Thank you all for the complements.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #72 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 AM
Advanced Member

Warp: I REALLY want to visit again once you get the new cabinet. It looks absolutely amazing. I owe you a lunch anyway. So let me know.

Nathan, you do some fantastic work, and once I get my financial life back, I'll be ordering from you.

I am a Submersive HP owner as well. I can tell you that while the SM is a VERY good sub, Warp's "XLERATORS" are very different. Beyond the incredible output, they have a tightness and transparency that sounds very different from the SM. So much so, Warp has me convinced I need to pick up a pair of LMS 18's and follow in his footsteps.
post #73 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM

Have a few questions Warp:

Did you stuff the cabinet? (acoustisuff?)

How was driver attached? (screws, were washers needed?)
post #74 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillikja View Post

Have a few questions Warp:

Did you stuff the cabinet? (acoustisuff?)

How was driver attached? (screws, were washers needed?)

Read my other thread, tons of info there.

Haven't gotten it yet - late next week maybe, I'll stuff it with a large pillow from target or something, factory allen head wood screws come with the driver, no washers needed - just pre-drill. Weatherstripping from ace hardware. Super glue lightly to retain rubber mounting gasket on the bottom of basket to ease mounting.

post #75 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Nathan,

Does Halfmoon Bay, BC have a harbour? Reason for asking I'm thinking of having two 18" subs built and would plan on having relatives pick them up this Summer on their way back from their yearly trip through Princess Louisa Inlet...........they would bring the pair back on their boat.

Could customs be arranged a head of time?

Thanks

My Build Threads

post #76 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You'd prob get quicker answers by contacting them directly.

http://www.funkywaves.net/contact.cfm

post #77 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Wow very nice !!

My current HT
post #78 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Nathan,

Does Halfmoon Bay, BC have a harbour? Reason for asking I'm thinking of having two 18" subs built and would plan on having relatives pick them up this Summer on their way back from their yearly trip through Princess Louisa Inlet...........they would bring the pair back on their boat.

Could customs be arranged a head of time?

Thanks

There are a number of harbors along this section of the coast. I am sure that could be arranged quite easily; contact me through our website if you would like to discuss details.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #79 of 206 Old 02-13-2011, 09:04 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Now that is what I call ART......

Very Classy... !!!!

Mmmmmmm.... purdy!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #80 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFactor View Post

Wow very nice !!

Yes - my answer to the Sub 25 - I always liked the looks of, just not the price tag.... I certainly dig the idea of double the output for 1/2 the price...

post #81 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
Quote:

Yes - my answer to the Sub 25 - I always liked the looks of, just not the price tag.... I certainly dig the idea of double the output for 1/2 the price...

Yes thats a very good incentive !

My current HT
post #82 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Although your sub looks nice, the SUB 25 has not only curved sides but a curved top as well. Close but no cigar.

You can build one of these subs for half the price of a SUB 25 including the amplifier required to drive it, and room correction as well?!? I thought the driver alone was $2K?, then another $2K for the Crest amp?
post #83 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiznit View Post
Although your sub looks nice, the SUB 25 has not only curved sides but a curved top as well. Close but no cigar.

You can build one of these subs for half the price of a SUB 25 including the amplifier required to drive it, and room correction as well?!? I thought the driver alone was $2K?, then another $2K for the Crest amp?

HA - the curved top was/is an option, I decided against it as I put a lamp on top of there... Cigar !!!
Plus its made of baltic birch ply instead of MDF, better IMO....

The driver is $900.00 or less if you got skills http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=293-666

I already had both the SMS-1 and the Crest 8002 I got used for @ $700.00.
So YES - actually LESS then 1/2 the price even if I would have opted for the curved top...
There are plenty of ways to skin a cat, and with all the problems that people are complaining about with the Paradigm Subs lately - I'll choose this cat...

If you would have read the whole thread, you'd see where I mentioned most of this stuff...

post #84 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
I think you subs the shiznit Warpdrv

We both know it will spank a Pardigm SUB25, so does that make the SUB25 a shiznot?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #85 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post
I think you subs the shiznit Warpdrv

We both know it will spank a Pardigm SUB25, so does that make the SUB25 a shiznot?
LOL, I would hope an 18" driver of this spec in a bigger enclosure would spank my SUB 25 in output. Bigger is better, right?

Seriously I just might have to consider building one of these or contact Mr. Funky Waves and be done with it. I am going to break out the tape measure tonight.. lol.
post #86 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM

Bravo Warpdr! A very high quality build here. It seems that these builders are furniture builders first, and speaker builders second judging from the fit and finish. May you get many years of low frequency excursions out of these subs!

BTW, how heavy is it? What cubic feet of space will it go in?...
post #87 of 206 Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Funky Waves, although not DIY, still gets the Bosso seal of approval.

I'll be updating my Raven thread with the Blackbird results and I'll be including a Hall of Fame of my fave DIY subs.

Here are some of the Blackbird modules, a full stack under test, a few of my favorite DIY subs and I have to include you latest, Warp.

FW is kickin' a$$ and takin' names. Outstanding sub, compact, powerful and looks as good as it performs.

Giant tip of the hat to Nathan. Keep up the excellent work.

Bosso
post #88 of 206 Old 02-15-2011, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88man View Post

Bravo Warpdr! A very high quality build here. It seems that these builders are furniture builders first, and speaker builders second judging from the fit and finish. May you get many years of low frequency excursions out of these subs!

BTW, how heavy is it? What cubic feet of space will it go in?...

Bedroom is 1800^3... Not sure on weight - I'd guess 65-70# without driver, I don't have a scale here either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

Bosso

Partial DIY... final assembly is on me... At this point - I have more money then time....
It was nice of Nathan to take a pic with a basket in it for the look of the final product. I'm actually surprised he hasn't updated the webpage with that pic....

post #89 of 206 Old 02-15-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossobass View Post

I'll be updating my Raven thread with the Blackbird results and I'll be including a Hall of Fame of my fave DIY subs.

Here are some of the Blackbird modules, a full stack under test, a few of my favorite DIY subs and I have to include you latest, Warp.

FW is kickin' a$$ and takin' names. Outstanding sub, compact, powerful and looks as good as it performs.

Bosso

Now, that is a collection of the best looking DIY designs!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #90 of 206 Old 02-20-2011, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A little update, Nathan shipped the box DHL on Tues, and it arrived on friday - couldn't believe how fast it got here from Halfmoon Bay, BC. Map link

Been way to busy with work and other activities to do anything with it, I'll either mess around with it later today or tomorrow to drop the driver in...

I snapped off some pics of my own and will post them later today...
The veneer and finish is spectacular...

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page