Warpdrv's / Funky Waves 18.0 - LMS build - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc View Post

Just a note, even modded, my QSC RMX5050 is anything but silent, I can measure upwards of 35 to 40db at the LP which is 14 feet away.

I need to tackle that issue when I have time as it really puts a damper on my enjoyment of my system right now.

As stated before, this might be the big ticket when they finally make it out in ahhh JUNE ?!?!
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU6000DSP.aspx
2 x 3000 Watts into 4 Ohms
Class D with DSP....

Perfect for a Pair of LMS's with no fans....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 09:15 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Looks interesting, wonder if it will have low shelf EQ type ability so one can do an L/T? How is that product different from their xti series with DSP that apparently failed miserably in Chuck's test (at least the xti 1000 IIRC)?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #183 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Looks interesting, wonder if it will have low shelf EQ type ability so one can do an L/T? How is that product different from their xti series with DSP that apparently failed miserably in Chuck's test (at least the xti 1000 IIRC)?

I wasn't aware the XTI failed, I guess I missed the testing of it, but the New Peavey CLASS D seemed to perform quite well in his tests, so perhaps its a newer and better breed this time around... I'm sure you saw those tests.. HERE
post #184 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

I wasn't aware the XTI failed, I guess I missed the testing of it, but the New Peavey CLASS D seemed to perform quite well in his tests, so perhaps its a newer and better breed this time around... I'm sure you saw those tests.. HERE

Only one Xti amp has been tested, it had very little power <= 20Hz. I think most just concluded the amp had issues.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #185 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

As stated before, this might be the big ticket when they finally make it out in ahhh JUNE ?!?!
Class D with DSP....

Im going to be looking for them

post #186 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Only one Xti amp has been tested, it had very little power <= 20Hz. I think most just concluded the amp had issues.

Quote:

Im going to be looking for them

Thanks Penn.... I know your up on this a bit more then I, so I appreciate you jumping in here.... I'm suggesting them for a buddy that just took my old pair of boxes to replace his Submersive HP with a pair of LMS's....

Seems with the limited power he has for the moment he is thrilled with the new change....

The INuke website stated
Quote:

High-performance DSP and 24-bit/96 kHz converters deliver ultimate signal integrity and extreme dynamic range, DSP section features sophisticated delay, crossover (3 filter types, up to 48 dB/octave), EQ (8 parametric, 2 dynamic), dynamics processing and lockable security settings

gperkins got nothing more from Behringer via emails as of yet from what he stated...
post #187 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Wow, what a beautiful, high performance, subwoofer.

I considered this route as well, but after learning how much you spent on your cabinet, an $800 driver, plus an amplifier, this must've been a $2300 sub (?) and confirms my thoughts weeks earlier that such an avenue was simply out of my price ballpark.

I ended up going with a passive Captivator in black oak with a new Crown xs900 amplifier for about $1800 (got the Cap before the uptick in price) so she should be getting a solid 2000+ watts.

It'd be interesting to learn how they compare, overall.

Surely you have me bested in the aesthetics dept, as even in black oak it's safe to say the Cap will be the "cute" sister while yours wins the pageants, lol.

Very nice.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #188 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Quote:

That did result in some firmware updates though, right?

OTOH, Jack Hidley posted results for a couple of his XTi2000 that showed it not to have the same issue.

Quote:

Im going to be looking for [the forthcoming Behringer DSP amps]

Ditto, unless the new XTi's drive the price of the old ones into the ground. Then picking up an XTi2000 to replace the ones I sold will look much better. But I doubt that will happen. I'm disappointed that Crown's XTi series-2 didn't go Class D.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
Multichannel music (and video) urban loft living room system 
post #189 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

Wow, what a beautiful, high performance, subwoofer.

I considered this route as well, but after learning how much you spent on your cabinet, an $800 driver, plus an amplifier, this must've been a $2300 sub (?) and confirms my thoughts weeks earlier that such an avenue was simply out of my price ballpark.

I ended up going with a passive Captivator in black oak with a new Crown xs900 amplifier for about $1800 (got the Cap before the uptick in price) so she should be getting a solid 2000+ watts.

It'd be interesting to learn how they compare, overall.

Surely you have me bested in the aesthetics dept, as even in black oak it's safe to say the Cap will be the "cute" sister while yours wins the pageants, lol.

Very nice.

James

Thanks James.....

You'll more then likely have me overall in the output dept, sealed vs ported pretty much without question but I'm not a big fan of ported personally and small and sexy is def at the top of my list - the SQ of the LMS has yet to be bested by any product IMO, and I've heard and owned my share of lots.... But I will always come back to the fact that - if what you have makes you happy then you certainly have what you need and want... I am still wanting to get to hear some of Jeff's stuff... I hope you enjoy your Captivator for many years to come - its got great specs and Jeff has the praise of many....
post #190 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 199
thanks and I'm with ya on the sealed vs. ported point.

I'll have about 5,000 cubes and will have "just" one sub for awhile and no more than (2), so I pretty much had to go with a couple of ported monsters like the Caps to get the output I'm looking for.

And I'm betting on them being the last subs for a good while, so I had better not be let down, lol.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #191 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 01:04 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, would be nice to have tested the Peavey 6000 DSP .... if one could actually be built that is! If there was a parts shortage before, I can't imagine the quake in Japan is helping (assuming everything doesn't come from China that is).

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #192 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, that makes me wonder if there will be some sort of delay on the Behringer's SMPS amps as well, unless they are china
post #193 of 206 Old 04-06-2011, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I will say this, anything coming from japan (parts wise) may come to a crawl or even a halt. A friend works for a company that relies HEAVELY on part supplied from Japan and they have started to feel the squeeze of the terrible event that occurred.
post #194 of 206 Old 04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
You have a lot of nice stuff. You must have a very nice wife to let you set all that equipment up in so many different rooms of your house. Those FW subs sure are gorgeous.

Panasonic P60ST50-Yamaha RX-V467 receiver-Sony PS3-Velodyne SMS-1-Canton 430 mains, 455 center and 402 surrounds-Rythmik FV15HP subwoofer- Pro-ject Debut III turntable- I also have a pair of Mark K's DIY design, the ER18DXT's
My humble entertainment room
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417652/midwest...
post #195 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 05:34 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Class D with DSP....

BTW, what do you mean by "a pair of LMS with no fans"? The iNuke's do appear to have fans ("back to front ventilation").

Quote:

The INuke website stated

Quote:

High-performance DSP and 24-bit/96 kHz converters deliver ultimate signal integrity and extreme dynamic range, DSP section features sophisticated delay, crossover (3 filter types, up to 48 dB/octave), EQ (8 parametric, 2 dynamic), dynamics processing and lockable security settings

gperkins got nothing more from Behringer via emails as of yet from what he stated...

Yeah, with the big question being whether the filters go below 20hz. Doubt it, given their EQ products do not do this.

Quote:

post #196 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benclement11 View Post

You have a lot of nice stuff. You must have a very nice wife to let you set all that equipment up in so many different rooms of your house. Those FW subs sure are gorgeous.

Yeah, never did the wife thing.... so I just do what I want
post #197 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, what do you mean by "a pair of LMS with no fans"? The iNuke's do appear to have fans ("back to front ventilation").

Yeah, with the big question being whether the filters go below 20hz. Doubt it, given their EQ products do not do this.

DOH, My bad on the fans.... Not sure why that was running through my head - guess I was just thinking the SMPS Class D would not have them...

Not sure one really needs to EQ below 20 hz, other then be able to set a HP filter, which is possible with current DCX, its just a bit more effort involved...
post #198 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, never did the wife thing.... so I just do what I want

lmao, 16 years on my first marriage still The only difference in doing what we want its how much it costs us

post #199 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Not that I didn't want to get married, just spent the last 17 years running my business and taking care of my son all by myself.... Some things were just more important to me during that period of time....

The decent ones are few and far between these days... so I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.... But I'm always on the lookout if ya catch my drift...

Then theres always my dads famous quote - Why make one woman misrable when you can make 10 very happy....
post #200 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DOH, My bad on the fans.... Not sure why that was running through my head - guess I was just thinking the SMPS Class D would not have them...

Not sure one really needs to EQ below 20 hz, other then be able to set a HP filter, which is possible with current DCX, its just a bit more effort involved...

How does one go about doing that again with the DCX? E.g., if I wanted to add a 12db filter at 15hz? I seem to recall something about doubling up filters?

Quote:

post #201 of 206 Old 04-10-2011, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #202 of 206 Old 04-11-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

pbc, I was looking around some more and found this info for a HP with the DCX...

Quote:
The DCX does not have ability to set filters below 20Hz. While this may seem to high, it's not really. You can easily extend the actual filter by for example setting high pass filter to 20Hz, 2nd order, Butterworth. Now add a single parameteric band at 20Hz in the EQ section on the unit, set to Q of 1.5 and gain of +4 dB. This will counteract and extend the roll off, giving you an effective roll off of -3dB around 17Hz and -6db around 14hz, with rapid roll off after this.

post #203 of 206 Old 04-11-2011, 10:47 AM

Liked: 10
The DCX does not have ability to set filters below 20Hz. While this may seem to high, it's not really. You can easily extend the actual filter by for example setting high pass filter to 20Hz, 2nd order, Butterworth. Now add a single parameteric band at 20Hz in the EQ section on the unit, set to Q of 1.5 and gain of +4 dB. This will counteract and extend the roll off, giving you an effective roll off of -3dB around 17Hz and -6db around 14hz, with rapid roll off after this.

Thanks for that Warp.
Do you know who posted the above?
post #204 of 206 Old 04-11-2011, 11:38 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapet View Post

Thanks for that Warp.
Do you know who posted the above?

Cool ... thx.

Quote:

post #205 of 206 Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It was WmAx from another forum, but I'd have preferred not give him credit, as he's a jagoff and has swindled people out of money.
post #206 of 206 Old 04-30-2011, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll have to bump this up because that 18" FW subwoofer has to be one of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I don't have the space nor the cash for such a beast, but I think I'll have to contact FW about the possibility of a 12-15" version in my price range.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page