Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Hey guys,
I am really considering doing another sealed build, most likely duals either in the same cab or separate matching cabs.

At the time I bought my original 5400s, there were no pro drivers available and TC Sounds was on the way out.

Now that they are back, it might be time to add to the collection!

I originally was considering going back to the 5400 but wanted to get some opinions on the 5100 instead since the prices are now the same.

The most appealing features are the sensitivity and weight saving neo design.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
I was just modeling these last night in Unibox. If the Mal-x isn't around and neither is the RLp18, I may step it up to either of these. I very very very much would like to see Ricci compare these against themselves in his next round of tests. I know the newest LMS is included as will be the 5100. Looking forward to the results.

EDIT: Here is a Unibox graph of the 5100 and 5400 in a 185liter (dual opposed) sealed box with 1000w per driver. Also in the graph is my LLT's with 650w each and my older Tempest with 250w for reference.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- direct pod link

- main website

post #3 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was thinking 5-6 cubes per driver.

I suck at modeling, I can do it but I seem to regularly misinterpret the results or miss something glaring. So, I am leaving it up to the pros.

post #4 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 PM
Bass Enabler

Okay. I remodeled at 300 liters dual opposed against my LLT's/OG Tempest. The power levels are not identical but arbitrary. There are all sorts of numbers I can enter if you want something specific. Btw, there is still a good amount of xmax left in the tank on both the 5100 and 5400 LMS.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #5 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 04:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
You really only need 2 cu ft sealed for the 5100. This is what Kyle recommended to me when I was looking. (The freight to Oz killed it for me, along with import duties ) The 5400 can go to 6 cu ft sealed.

explore the music
post #6 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Scott!
Obviously they are both VERY capable.

I am not too worried about the enclosure volume. I can end up with 4-9 cubes per driver depending how I build them.

post #7 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Bass Enabler

No problem. I do this stuff all day, every day.

Both drivers are very capable and will work well in prety damn small enclosures but also work well in large. Even with a lot of power applied. Plenty of excursion to use up. You really could go pretty small if needed with both drivers. Both drivers work in duals even in a 5cuft box.

Either way, multiples and EQ will still be needed for extreme output.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #8 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ya, my setup is no stranger to EQ. I give my current LMSs plenty of boost to get a flat response down to 10Hz.
But, that's the beauty of them, all that excursion and power handling come in handy. I have a DTS as well to lighten the load.

I had my first LMS in a 3cf box and it worked well. The proposed couch table(s) will have plenty of volume on tap. The lightweight Pro driver has some appeal there, as things can get VERY heavy with two or more in the same enclosure!

post #9 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 05:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Cool! I thought I remember that you already had dual 5400's. The older version, anyway. You should definitely keep those, imo but that's up to you. Add in dual of either of these drivers and you'll most likely not need any more bass. Ahem, what the hell am I saying? There is never an end to the desire for more bass.

I've got quad RLp18's (two in use in LLT's, the others are still boxed up) but I want some of these. Maybe two or four of each but damnit, I want me some TD18h+'s too. Argh! Too many drivers to keep track of!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #10 of 405 Old 02-12-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Trust me, they are not going anywhere!

The DTS will be on the way out long before the LMSs.

Get those bad boys unboxed! You need more woofage!

post #11 of 405 Old 02-13-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Wow, I was thinking this would be one of the more debated topics.

Of course, maybe it was in my absence. I am a cold weather forum guy....

post #12 of 405 Old 02-13-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I won't debate it.... get 2 more of the LMS's you lazy lightweight - they are prettier and will match what you got, plus you get a workout you need in the cold weather

Now get outside and shovel some snow, I know you got plenty of it...
We here in WI like to slingshot it right in your direction...

post #13 of 405 Old 02-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Yeah, I don't know how much of an advantage the lighter 5100 is for a home setup. It's about 30lbs lighter I think, which would obviously make a big difference if the Pro 5100 was used in a PA setup that was being moved and setup.

The 5100 is more efficient, but for the freq range you're looking at there doesn't look to be too much of a difference between the two. Most of the efficiency gain seems to be in the 80Hz+ range, which is probably where you're crossing anyway. Given how inexpensive amplifier power is it's probably not a big advantage either.

If it were me I'd get the 5400s to match what you've already got. There are probably some slight differences in the drivers, but they're more similar than the 5100 would be.
post #14 of 405 Old 02-13-2011, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Warpdrv, where about are you located in Wis? I'm in Milwaukee.

God loves me, but everyone else thinks I'm an a$$hole.

post #15 of 405 Old 02-13-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the room size again here.... What is your electronics ? Mains...?

With 4 subs you could easily cross over much higher, If you wanted to run the 5100's they probably out do your mains in that region anyways, I'll almost guaruntee it, the power and punch at that region with the LMS's is far better then any speaker will offer - bump the xover up to 120 with either the 5100 or the LMS up front... Weren't the LMS's klippeled measurements flat up to 500hz...

Unicron - I'm just north in grafton - I feel a PM coming my way... LOL

post #16 of 405 Old 02-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

I haven't seen any build threads on these yet. The anecdotal information on them seems pretty slim. Maybe once Ricci does his next test, which will include the 5100, we'll have more than pure speculation to back up the discussion.

Although, in your particular case, the LMS Ultra does make more sense. Unless you just want to try something different. I know my interest in the 5100 is up there.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #17 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Started shoveling!

I will most likely get the 5400s if I get around to another project.

I have to sell my DTS first too.
My new house does not have a good place for it, it is now any eye sore.

I think I have to stick to my couch table idea.

post #18 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

If you going sealed the 5400 is a bit easier all around and should be selected over the 5100. It still works in a small box, has "reasonable" sensitivity, but very good low end and doesn't really need EQ compared to the 5100 will can roll off fast, not as much low end and will likely need EQ. In a bass reflex box, the 5100 really becomes quite dominate. Its sensitivity is almost 95dB, but unlike many pro audio drivers, it won't compress as you turn up the volume. Most pro subs only move a few mm before the BL drops but the 5100 move 19mm before the coil starts to leave the gap and in addition its a very long coil in a very very long gap so its not a rapid BL drop. Consider that it is an underhung design, yet the coil is actually longer than the overhung 21" SW152's coil so there is no denying its BL performance. The limitations largely lie within the suspension which won't do what the 5400 can do, but for non limiting frequencies, it will give you the output of about two 5400's.

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #19 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kyle!

I appreciate the info!

post #20 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleLee View Post
If you going sealed the 5400 is a bit easier all around and should be selected over the 5100. It still works in a small box, has "reasonable" sensitivity, but very good low end and doesn't really need EQ compared to the 5100 will can roll off fast, not as much low end and will likely need EQ. In a bass reflex box, the 5100 really becomes quite dominate. Its sensitivity is almost 95dB, but unlike many pro audio drivers, it won't compress as you turn up the volume. Most pro subs only move a few mm before the BL drops but the 5100 move 19mm before the coil starts to leave the gap and in addition its a very long coil in a very very long gap so its not a rapid BL drop. Consider that it is an underhung design, yet the coil is actually longer than the overhung 21" SW152's coil so there is no denying its BL performance. The limitations largely lie within the suspension which won't do what the 5400 can do, but for non limiting frequencies, it will give you the output of about two 5400's.
5100= My favorite driver to date.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #21 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 03:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Ah, glad to see you drop by, Kyle! Thanks for the information regarding these drivers. Looks like the 5400 is the one to go with in this case.

Oh, and hey! Tell your boys to get cracking on that Sound Splinter lineup! They're shutting down their subforum at HTS it seems. I've been waiting on the RLp18's foreverz.

Hey, Nathan! Glad to see you drop in as well. I'd like to know your thoughts on the SQ of the 5100 and how that works for home theater use. Everyone around here is hell bent on performance <20hz and seem to forget subwoofers also do 20-120hz.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #22 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
Hey, Nathan! Glad to see you drop in as well. I'd like to know your thoughts on the SQ of the 5100 and how that works for home theater use. Everyone around here is hell bent on performance <20hz and seem to forget subwoofers also do 20-120hz.
That is why a sub SYSTEM is required. I have always believed that that 10Hz to 120Hz requires a system and not any single driver choice. Not only a sub system is needed but I believe mains require better bass modules (hence my AV15X bass bins).

Bass design to me is no different then speaker design where multiple drivers (mid range/tweeters) are required to handled the complete frequency ranges.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #23 of 405 Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post
That is why a sub SYSTEM is required. I have always believed that that 10Hz to 120Hz requires a system and not any single driver choice. Not only a sub system is needed but I believe mains require better bass modules (hence my AV15X bass bins).

Bass design to me is no different then speaker design where multiple drivers (mid range/tweeters) are required to handled the complete frequency ranges.
Yup. I agree with that. I may just do the same thing with my RLp18's and .... something else. A 'mystery' driver perhaps. *ahem*

I'd still like to know what Nathan thinks of the SQ of the 5100.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #24 of 405 Old 03-15-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is there any more experience out there comparing these two? I sold my DTS, and I am going all sealed(again), so I was looking into what subs to add. I have two of the 15" LMS5400 in sealed boxes, with a Bassis, but was wondering what the 5100 might add. It brings up the question--if the 5100 rules above let's say 50Hz over the 5400, and has so much more output there, what does something like Audyssey do to that advantage? If it beats the curve down to flat, is the advantage lost?
post #25 of 405 Old 03-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Bass Enabler

I have no idea but I would really like to know the same thing. I hope Ricci's test gives us some more insight on this. I don't know of any builds with the 5100.

Oh and thanks for bumping the thread. Both of these drivers are proper uber drivers, imo.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #26 of 405 Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatawan View Post

Is there any more experience out there comparing these two? I sold my DTS, and I am going all sealed(again), so I was looking into what subs to add. I have two of the 15" LMS5400 in sealed boxes, with a Bassis, but was wondering what the 5100 might add. It brings up the question--if the 5100 rules above let's say 50Hz over the 5400, and has so much more output there, what does something like Audyssey do to that advantage? If it beats the curve down to flat, is the advantage lost?

The 5100 having more SPL above 50Hz only matters if you are maxing out with the 5400. If never even hit the 5400 limits then you will never use the 5100 to its full potential above 50Hz.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #27 of 405 Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
But does the 5100 essentially come with its own "house curve"? In a system with no EQ, would it accentuate the upper bass frequencies(which some enjoy, and some newer sub companies might use as a selling point )
post #28 of 405 Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Where does the upcoming 5150 fall into the mix?

post #29 of 405 Old 03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where does the upcoming 5150 fall into the mix?

Its just going to be a copper coil version with a 1+1 ohm coil. You can simulate the entire driver by taking the Re down to 2 ohms and re-calculating the new Qes. - more of a high motor version with a BL^2/Re of around 300. We're also hoping to get a 15" out too.

data-bass.com
@databass_audio
post #30 of 405 Old 03-16-2011, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks Kyle!

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version