8x 18" LMS Ultra 5400s in 4 sealed enclosures - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 518 Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I just got my MiniDSP mostly setup and took some measurements. There are lots of bugs in the 4x10 plugin right now, hopefully they fix it soon. I still managed to eek out a good eq though.

Here we have the natural in room response at the listening position with the audyssey calibration.

Here are those two level matched.

This is the Audyssey response with the MiniDSP added in.

These are the raw signals pulled after the MiniDSP.

And here we have the natural in room response at the listening position with the final fully eq'd response.

And this is the target output and the final settings at the listening position.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 518 Old 06-11-2011, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 133
VERY nice. Same response across all seats?

JSS
post #453 of 518 Old 06-11-2011, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just about. The only thing I really did with minidsp was add a shelf to prevent overexcursion and then added a little boost around 52hz to smooth things out.

Once they fix the software, I'll really go at it.

post #454 of 518 Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just spent some more time fighting with the minidsp.

Excellent results in the end.

Signals:
Black: Flat
Blue: Minidsp
Green: Audyssey
Pink: Audyssey + MiniDSP

Here is the raw response vs the EQ'd response:

Here is the Audyssey response by itself vs the Audyssey + MiniDSP response.

Here is the final EQ'd response vs the target.

post #455 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 211
notnyt,

Fantastic results. What technique, i.e., mic position, smoothing applied etc? Also, wrt the Mini Dsp, what specifically do you like, dislike etc., and what would you change?

Thanks

the vids are killer

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
------------------------------------
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #456 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

FOH, that's at the center listening position without any smoothing. The other seats are nearly identical.

The MiniDSP 2x8 is great. The software is easy to use, you can monitor your input/output levels, etc. I originally bought the 2x8 since it had the highest voltage ranges of 8v on balanced and 4v on unbalanced. It's a good thing I got the 2x8, since running it on 4v unbalanced, I was able to clip the input at some levels that I listen at. The Denon 5308 has a nice and powerful output .

Initially I hooked it up using unbalanced rca connectors and I had a bad ground loop where there wasn't one before. I ended up making a cable and hooking it to my receivers grounding pole and then changing to the unbalanced connectors on the miniDSP. This dropped the noise floor on my inputs from -60db to -91db and provided me with all the headroom that I needed while mostly eliminating the ground loop. You could BARELY hear it if you put your head inside one of the cones. Once I switched the cables from the minidsp to the amps to balanced it removed it the rest of the way.

As for problems.. the software is very buggy on the low frequency ranges. They have some math errors that are very apparent. The developers are going to be checking it out, so hopefully it gets taken care of. The 2x8 is a higher resolution dsp, so they need to change some stuff that they apparently overlooked. My thread with the problems and graphs is here: http://www.minidsp.com/forum/8-softw...equency-ranges

Even with the software errors, I was still able to get everything how I wanted with some trial and error. This is why it is very important to measure the output of your EQ's. If I went by what it was telling me it was doing, I could have damaged my speakers.

post #457 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Did you make an enclosure for your minidsp? Also, what are you using to power it?
post #458 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I grabbed a 22w smps off of mouser to power it. I put it in a generic 1u rackmount enclosure that I chopped up instead of making a proper access panel

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...ey418-CFM2002S

pics here.

post #459 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

I grabbed a 22w smps off of mouser to power it. I put it in a generic 1u rackmount enclosure that I chopped up instead of making a proper access panel

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...ey418-CFM2002S

pics here.

Sweet!! I didn't know the "mini"dsp was so large. That definitely works and looks fantastic.

Are you using only half of the minidsp, 1in/4out?
post #460 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

Sweet!! I didn't know the "mini"dsp was so large. That definitely works and looks fantastic.

Are you using only half of the minidsp, 1in/4out?

There are multiple minidsp. There is the 2x4, the 2x4 balanced, the 2x8, and they are coming out with an 8x8 in the next couple of months.

the 2x4 versions are much smaller.

I'm using two inputs and two outputs.

post #461 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Where'd you find the enclosure? Looks good!

High Desert Theater -

Building Bass - 

Surrounds -

Storage -

post #462 of 518 Old 06-14-2011, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

fleabay, it's an antek, was like $50.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370238953034

post #463 of 518 Old 07-03-2011, 02:24 AM

Liked: 10
Very nice home theater setup.

DIY beats store purchased.
post #464 of 518 Old 07-06-2011, 11:48 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

Very nice home theater setup.

+1

It looks absolutely fantastic. Very interesting read - and the pictures are great. I'm dreaming of building my first diy sub with the lms 5400 18" - and I'm in ave of your home setup. Hope you will keep updating the thread.

Btw - are your front speakers also diy? (if so is there also a thread on those?)

No waste, grab a bar, get saw on.
post #465 of 518 Old 07-06-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There isn't much to update. I haven't really changed anything and I can't think of any improvements to make at the current time. The front speakers are JBL 4722N's. In the future if I need to upgrade my receiver, I'll probably go pre/pro and dedicated bi-amp the fronts using the minidsp for crossover/delay/eq.

post #466 of 518 Old 07-08-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Wow. So I was just testing some demo material and looking for the limits of this system so I know where to run it safely. Running at least 15db above reference (audyssey EQ then +7-8 above calibration) and with the surrounds/fronts redirected, I just barely bottomed out the lms drivers in how to train your dragon. Crazy. The 2-3hz hit is just too much though. WOTW was a different story. Didn't bottom out, but scared the **** out of my wife as the really low stuff during pod emergence "shook the **** out of my desk" she said. Her desk is on carpet, which is on concrete slab. This combination is incredible.

Looking at the cones during the pod emergence scene is just insane. 8 5400 drivers pushed to their limits is something to behold.
fun to come back and read that once in a while. I wonder what Danley would sell a matterhorn for.

KW, failed super hero

post #467 of 518 Old 08-05-2011, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just took some better pictures of the setup with all the amps and everything in place. I love this setup. I haven't had any urge to upgrade anything =]

post #468 of 518 Old 08-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Gorgeous.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #469 of 518 Old 08-11-2011, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
hey, the speaker on the left is blocking my view of the screen. ;-)

btw, what material did you choose for your screen?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #470 of 518 Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's wilsonart designer white

post #471 of 518 Old 08-11-2011, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

It's wilsonart designer white

How big diagonal and have you ever compared it to any other screen material?

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #472 of 518 Old 08-11-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Just took some better pictures of the setup with all the amps and everything in place. I love this setup. I haven't had any urge to upgrade anything =]

cuz the older pics were just getting old... NOOOOOT!

wickedness

KW, failed super hero

post #473 of 518 Old 08-11-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

115 after the masking. It's great as a screen, liked it better than the cloths i looked at, and painting is a pita.

post #474 of 518 Old 08-11-2011, 11:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Diggin the new pic
post #475 of 518 Old 08-12-2011, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

I can not speak for Notnyt on this but I also use the same material and I have compared it too $1000 screens. In a room that has 100% controlled lighting (meaning dark as possible) its 100% perfect solution if you are looking for solid surface (None AT) screens.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #476 of 518 Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
do you have a power sequencer or something that turns on all the gear or is it a manual fire up/fire down process?

Listen. It's All Good.
post #477 of 518 Old 08-12-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a logitech remote. The amps are triggered by relay boxes off of my receiver, and the remote turns on the amp, projector, and whatever other devices are necessary.

post #478 of 518 Old 03-07-2012, 08:54 PM

Liked: 11
holy crap!!!!! 8 lsm's!!!! dude, if you were a God, hell even a demi-God i would bow to you. i bet your set-up is awe-inspiring. every head banging metal head across the nation envies you. awesome job!!!!
post #479 of 518 Old 03-08-2012, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I'm gonna just add another..Dang !!! Which Harmony ? I've installed a bunch of the 900's and i think i would use one, the 890 did the same, but was hard to see in dark rooms...

<Multi sub Thread

< Garage Audio !!!
post #480 of 518 Old 03-08-2012, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgveteran View Post

I'm gonna just add another..Dang !!! Which Harmony ? I've installed a bunch of the 900's and i think i would use one, the 890 did the same, but was hard to see in dark rooms...

Just an old 550. They're all basically the same, just different display/battery stuff.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page