8x 18" LMS Ultra 5400s in 4 sealed enclosures - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Do you guys really think there will be much of a difference between the mal-x's and the LMS's? Powered with the same amps? It seem like the only really gains would be a very high spl? I don't have an LMS, but I do have lots of other subs and I find generally one doesn't sound WAY better other unless one is running out of Xmax. I know they are better drivers, I guess I'm just curious to see how this will all turn out

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
NYT, did you ever post an overlay of the THT's compared to the EQ'd and No-EQ'd Mael-X's? I saw the rew graphic but I didn't see a comparo to the THT's.
I don't think I have a non eq'd version. They EQ'd flat then dropped like a rock at 20hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post
Do you guys really think there will be much of a difference between the mal-x's and the LMS's? Powered with the same amps? It seem like the only really gains would be a very high spl? I don't have an LMS, but I do have lots of other subs and I find generally one doesn't sound WAY better other unless one is running out of Xmax. I know they are better drivers, I guess I'm just curious to see how this will all turn out
Supposedly less distortion and a more linear stroke. I wanted to get a high quality driver I wouldn't have issues with down the road. The LMS leave me with room to expand, should I want to add more power to the system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #33 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Like you have have many drivers and there is not an audible difference in a real controlled listening test if the testing is level match (all drivers involved played within their operating range, all EQed in room).

There are differences at frequencies where each design has its own superiority over other designs. (Ie...ported designs vs Sealed down low where port noise exists).

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #34 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Although I'd have to agree with Penn, this build is an off the charts outstanding system, period.

I'm diggin' the no-nonsense approach. Serious a$$ kicked in building the boxes. The Maels got China Syndrome and my man just pushes the balls button to git 'er done.

Simply Awesome, and going in a great HT space.

Bosso
post #35 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not saying I wouldn't do the exact same thing with the LMS's. If you have the money, it's a no brainer to go balls out.
What I'm saying is, I wonder how much of a difference there will be just playing at reference, if the same power was to be applied to both batches of drivers.

I'm keeping an eye on this, as it may be my next move also, as I will be in a new house withing the next 2 years as soon as everything gets developed and the house gets built. My room should be roughly the same size as the OP's and I will have a good chunk of change to play with. I can't wait to see the results!!!!

post #36 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just at reference? Who plays just at reference

post #37 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

LOL, don't worry I'm right there with ya with 8 x18's although I guess I have 6 x 18" and 2 x 21's now. Enough to actually fear for the house's safety..... well that and I don't want to poop my pants

either way, I'm pretty sure you got pretty much everyone wishing they could have a listen when the beasts are in the house

post #38 of 518 Old 02-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Woah woah! Wait... N8... you have how many of what now?

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #39 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

LOL, don't worry I'm right there with ya with 8 x18's although I guess I have 6 x 18" and 2 x 21's now. Enough to actually fear for the house's safety..... well that and I don't want to poop my pants

either way, I'm pretty sure you got pretty much everyone wishing they could have a listen when the beasts are in the house

lmao, I didn't know you had that many now....WOW!!

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #40 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Woah woah! Wait... N8... you have how many of what now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

I know right? I'm starting to feel inadequate around here with just my 4 little 18's...

post #41 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Just at reference? Who plays just at reference

I play at reference with the LFE 10 dbs hot or set to 85 dbs.
post #42 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I play at reference with the LFE 10 dbs hot or set to 85 dbs.

Does that mean at master volume of 0?

I SAID DOES THAT MEAN AT MASTER VOLUME 0 ?

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread

post #43 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[/quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

does that mean at master volume of 0?

I said does that mean at master volume 0 ?

WHAT? WHAT?! I CAN'T HEAR YOU - THE MASTER VOLUME IS AT 0!

Still confused? Read "
" thread!
-Dan

post #44 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 02:35 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

I know right? I'm starting to feel inadequate around here with just my 4 little 18's...

Heck I just have three 12's and one 18, but my room is a closet compared to notnyt's.
post #45 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Liked: 10
So did the LMS's arrive, how's the fit. Better luck with FedEx?
post #46 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 04:31 PM
Bass Enabler

Oh, yeah! It's LMS Tuesday!

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #47 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBDiver View Post

So did the LMS's arrive, how's the fit. Better luck with FedEx?

The biggest thing here is that - TC Sounds listened to their customers and did the right thing here and ships the Motor separate from the Basket...

There is totally no weight involved in the most important part of the driver and you could kick that thing across the parking lot and with the way they are packaged will see no damage... As well as at the same time - you could almost drop the motor off a building and it would likely survive...

post #48 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
Bass Enabler

^^^^^

Hell yeah. I wouldn't feel unsure about having one of these sent to me. Good work on their end with that. Although for $900 each, they damn well better ship like that. :P

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #49 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have them, and they fit. I was busy with work until now. I'm going to repaint the fronts of my cabinets and then get these things mounted. I really wish they didn't have logos on the cones.

post #50 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by t6902wf View Post

Does that mean at master volume of 0?

I SAID DOES THAT MEAN AT MASTER VOLUME 0 ?

Actually it depends on the equipment. My Krell refernce is at 31, My Ada it is at -10, and with my Meridian it was 87. I have owned others where it was at 0. All were reference levels or THX reference levels.
post #51 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

The biggest thing here is that - TC Sounds listened to their customers and did the right thing here and ships the Motor separate from the Basket...

There is totally no weight involved in the most important part of the driver and you could kick that thing across the parking lot and with the way they are packaged will see no damage... As well as at the same time - you could almost drop the motor off a building and it would likely survive...

That is a huge bonus, premium driver = premium packaging/shipping.

post #52 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 76
notnyt,
What I like personally like about your over the top woofage is that you're putting it in a built-out room with other equipment designed to realize the full potential.
Sometimes I wonder if the next wave around here is 8000W and 5k custom subs for the 32" LCD in the 3/4 bath.

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

post #53 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What fascinates me is that roller coaster ride that is TC Sounds.

It seems like just yesterday when I was one of the lucky ones to have snagged two LMSs for around $800 when they were retailing for $1500+ DIRECT.

Then they lowered the price to $800-$900 and indicated they could never sell them that cheaply and were losing money, etc.

Now, they sell with at that price with a middle man.

Crazy chain of events. But, I sure am glad as they are better than ever and STILL arguably the best driver out there.

post #54 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

In a room half the size of the OP's lol. I'm still waiting for the second Mal-x 21 to ship once I get the ups damage sorted out. I "had" 8x18's until I sold 2 of my 4 mal-x's to get the 21's. Right now I have the $ 18's in the IB up front and 2 sealed in the back. The 21's will also be near the back as I need it to Kill anyone stupid enough to ask me to crank it
The 4 in IB's have 2 ep2500's each and the sealed all have their own ep4000 each. I have 2 more ep's on there way that I got for crazy cheap too, so every sub will have a ep amp
I also had the 2 monster in my sig in there before and 2 THT's and 6 x 15's and had 1 old LMS ultra powered my my qsc 5050, but it's long gone. Over the years I've had well over 30 different subs. So far, the 8x18's kick the living crap out of anything else I've had in SQ and just raw kick you in the face spl.

So I know what the OP is going to get, that's why I'm excited to see what he thinks of the lms's. I may go the same route, either that or 6 more 21 mal-x's, I don't know yet as my new house won't be built for 2 more years.
My old LMs was great but to be honest, I can't compare it agains the current mal-x because unless I a/b them together, or had graphs, it's impossible to tell.

post #55 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post

notnyt,
What I like personally like about your over the top woofage is that you're putting it in a built-out room with other equipment designed to realize the full potential.
Sometimes I wonder if the next wave around here is 8000W and 5k custom subs for the 32" LCD in the 3/4 bath.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

That is a huge bonus, premium driver = premium packaging/shipping.

This is how the LMS come packed.

Motor. Easier to open upside down like this.

Basket, right side up.

Basket, from the bottom.

Unpacked. The motors are across the room and didn't make it into this picture

post #56 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

man o man is that awesome!!!!!!!

post #57 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

SSSSAAAAAAAAAAWEEEEEEEEEEEET!

post #58 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Bass Enabler

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #59 of 518 Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
It's a shame to hide the basket and motor in an enclosure, work of art.

"Half the world is looking for Jesus, and the other half is looking for more bass..."
post #60 of 518 Old 02-16-2011, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The cabinets are painted. I will bring them in tomorrow and hopefully finish.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page