8x 18" LMS Ultra 5400s in 4 sealed enclosures - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
t6902wf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,669
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My wife is very understanding and likes watching movies with me. She would be fine watching them upstairs on a HD tv. Recently she was going to have some friends over to watch a movie and had to ask me how to turn the theater on?

The good news is that even though she finds little value in it she knows it makes me happy and rolls with it. At this point when something new shows up she really doesn't ask many questions. The other side of that coin is that I don't question the things that make her happy. I roll with it. I guess we are all lucky.

I wonder if she will notice as I roll through the kitchen with a hand truck and 70 pound amp in tow?

I predict a smile and a head shake.

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post19489740
t6902wf is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kryptonitewhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post
It depends on where the car shutting the door is. It is funny how everyday things makes me think about my system. The other day getting home from the airport I was taking the kids out of their seats when my wife opened and then closed her passenger side door, it made a thump and moved my hair. This was in my garage. I thought to myself that how many people here always say that when a car door hits you it is over exaggerated, that is not true, it happens!

OK, back to this awesome build. Looks fantastic and I am jealous. It looks like I maybe changing something. That THD is awesome and the reason for these crazy builds. 1.78% at 10hz over reference is insane and perfect! I love it.

I need to measure my system to see what I get. Sorry, maxmercy, I know you have posted this but can you or NYT PM the settings so I can take some THD measurements?

Again, awesome!!!!! Hey, do you guys notice how impressive those JBL's look next to the subs They are as big as 2 subs.
When sitting in the turning lane, when traffic wizzes by at 30-40MPH it rocks the car from 1Hz-3Hz and you really feel it.... how many subs would that take to recreate in home?

When i watch House on HULU, that dang glass door to their conference room gets me every time when it shuts!
kryptonitewhite is offline  
post #123 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
So MK in the event that THD was higher than you anticipated would you add more subs to lower it at the operating threshold or...get some LMS 5400s?
gpmbc is offline  
post #124 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post
So MK in the event that THD was higher than you anticipated would you add more subs to lower it at the operating threshold or...get some LMS 5400s?
I am not sure, I guess I could measure one then add the next and see what happens when adding subs to help guess what adding might be. I don't need 1.78%, just being inaudible. This is all good stuff. I know my subs were made to use the dayton amps bass boost at 25 hz but not in my room, it is much flatter without that boost which creates a hump. Again, I love my room. I need to take pics with all the new treatments. I am trying out another Ada to replace my krell and bought a new(used) projector which should be a big upgrade over mine.
MKtheater is online now  
post #125 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stgdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MNsnowta in april :(
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
MK,

I don't think you will have to re-measure, I think its all ready in the measurement file and its only a couple of clicks away.
stgdz is offline  
post #126 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
MK,

I don't think you will have to re-measure, I think its all ready in the measurement file and its only a couple of clicks away.
I don't know if I have any data saved from my last measurements.
MKtheater is online now  
post #127 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ssabripo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Plantation, Floriduh
Posts: 6,008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
subscribed... very nicely done.
ssabripo is offline  
post #128 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 377
This was hard to get. I need to go get new power strips that don't reset so easy.

notnyt is online now  
post #129 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
gpmbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 2,384
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 78
123.4 db at 10hz with that low of distortion DAYUM!
gpmbc is offline  
post #130 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
penngray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 26,779
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:


This was hard to get. I need to go get new power strips that don't reset so easy.

When you find > 20amp ones, please post because that has always been an issue for me.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
penngray is offline  
post #131 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:08 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Wow!

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #132 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
maxmercy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,336
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 131
How did your house react? That's a LOT of spl.......very nice, btw. How far were the cones moving?

JSS
maxmercy is offline  
post #133 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmercy View Post

How did your house react? That's a LOT of spl.......very nice, btw. How far were the cones moving?

JSS

10hz ok, 20hz **** goes everywhere.
notnyt is online now  
post #134 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Warpdrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 7,350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Build your own powerstrips bro.

No need to search out stuff with reset switches.
Warpdrv is offline  
post #135 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv View Post

Build your own powerstrips bro.

No need to search out stuff with reset switches.

I like having surge protector warranty
notnyt is online now  
post #136 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Senior Member
 
lewdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Posts: 285
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Hah, my wife thinks all these upgrades are great and loves the theater

Where can I find one of those?

SHHH, don't tell my wife
lewdogg is offline  
post #137 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 04:08 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Notnyt - How many cubic feet is your room again?

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #138 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,264
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Notnyt - How many cubic feet is your room again?

its 25x25 with 8 foot ceilings, but the back left wall (12ft) is open to another 25x25 or so area. It's about 10k cubic feet total (1250*8)
notnyt is online now  
post #139 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 04:25 PM
Bass Enabler
 
Scott Simonian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Clovis, CA
Posts: 13,533
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Woah! Okay. I should look forward to some serious room gain at least as good as you get in your room. Mine is about 2000cuft. Will start out with four 18's though.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

 

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

Scott Simonian is offline  
post #140 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

These things are huge



All installed.








I never repost pics but why does WALL OF SOUND come to mind

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #141 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: West Of California
Posts: 5,124
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 75
I rarely post consecutively but damn, I've been seriously mulling over what to add in the woofage arena for months.
Quad Rythmiks, 4 Mal 18s, 2 Mal 21s what, what, what!!!
noynyt, you magnificent bastard, I read your thread!
2 of these LMS monsters it is.
Now for the enclosure design... Does TC Sounds make PRs?
Oooh that could be interesting.
Rest assured pal, anyone here who isn't envious, should be.

 

It ain't ignorance causes so much trouble; it's folks knowing so much that ain't so

Milt99 is offline  
post #142 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 PM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I am not sure, I guess I could measure one then add the next and see what happens when adding subs to help guess what adding might be. I don't need 1.78%, just being inaudible. This is all good stuff. I know my subs were made to use the dayton amps bass boost at 25 hz but not in my room, it is much flatter without that boost which creates a hump. Again, I love my room. I need to take pics with all the new treatments. I am trying out another Ada to replace my krell and bought a new(used) projector which should be a big upgrade over mine.

What new projector did you get? I picked up a new Viewsonic Pro8100. Using the old projector for Xbox, PS3 and Kinect. Viewsonic is for movies and HDTV.
mjg100 is offline  
post #143 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 PM
Senior Member
 
wembley2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 209
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Its beautiful. Nuf said.
wembley2000 is offline  
post #144 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
stgdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MNsnowta in april :(
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

What new projector did you get? I picked up a new Viewsonic Pro8100. Using the old projector for Xbox, PS3 and Kinect. Viewsonic is for movies and HDTV.

kinda curious about this also, I know he had an epson and my inlaws got an 8700ub. Its nice and bright but I like the picture that my sim2 Ht300 throws, maybe I just prefer DLP.
stgdz is offline  
post #145 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
LTD02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16,177
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 943
"I couldn't believe the amount of perceived bass that was there, thick and muddy, tons of note overhang - you could almost cut it with a knife.... IMO more distortion leads to a more perceived heaviness, giving me that less is more thought, but certainly not as accurate."

you aren't the first to make this observation. clean can sound 'lame'. drew daniels created an uber reference system and suggested that the low distortion makes them sound much lower in power.

quote, "These speakers make so little distortion that you will be tempted to believe that the 120 dB sound you are listening to is only playing at 90 dB. This is not good. You will lose your hearing. Don't let this happen.

If you find that the clean sound causes your favorite rock artist to be emasculated, you can go out and get an Aphex Aural Exciter to add distortion back in so that it sounds loud again. (Seriously)"

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...6-results.html

even paul w mentioned something like this the other day. he said his 18 15" dvc's sounded so dry that his buddy who was over asked him to "turn up the bass".

is low distortion really what we are after or is there some "fun factor" that gets lost in that?

Listen. It's All Good.
LTD02 is offline  
post #146 of 518 Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kryptonitewhite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 4,602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

"I couldn't believe the amount of perceived bass that was there, thick and muddy, tons of note overhang - you could almost cut it with a knife.... IMO more distortion leads to a more perceived heaviness, giving me that less is more thought, but certainly not as accurate."

you aren't the first to make this observation. clean can sound 'lame'. drew daniels created an uber reference system and suggested that the low distortion makes them sound much lower in power.

quote, "These speakers make so little distortion that you will be tempted to believe that the 120 dB sound you are listening to is only playing at 90 dB. This is not good. You will lose your hearing. Don't let this happen.

If you find that the clean sound causes your favorite rock artist to be emasculated, you can go out and get an Aphex Aural Exciter to add distortion back in so that it sounds loud again. (Seriously)"

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...6-results.html

even paul w mentioned something like this the other day. he said his 18 15" dvc's sounded so dry that his buddy who was over asked him to "turn up the bass".

is low distortion really what we are after or is there some "fun factor" that gets lost in that?

this is what I experience in my HT, but very seriousely in my van.
kryptonitewhite is offline  
post #147 of 518 Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dbldare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Broomfield, CO USA
Posts: 2,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This was a HUGE part of the papers that came with my Polk SRT system. It is definitely cleaner and more efficient than my previous systems. So much that I even had to pull out the 'ol Rat Shack meter to make sure. I thought it was hype, but the meter doesn't lie.

Bottom line, this is a fun hobby but be careful. With these systems it doesn't take too long before your hearing starts to suffer. The problem with this type of damage is best explained with the cooking a frog story. How do you boil a frog? Very slowly, turning up the heat gently so it doesn't "hop" out of the pot. It isn't an instant thing with audio either.

dbl

Let's all go to the lobby
....Let's all go to the lobby
........Let's all go to the lobby
............To get ourselves a treat!
dbldare is offline  
post #148 of 518 Old 02-18-2011, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

What new projector did you get? I picked up a new Viewsonic Pro8100. Using the old projector for Xbox, PS3 and Kinect. Viewsonic is for movies and HDTV.

Pioneer elite(RS2 clone)
MKtheater is online now  
post #149 of 518 Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
MKtheater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Hartford, NY
Posts: 14,368
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 421
I was going to run some distortion numbers last night but ended up watching the Hurt Locker. My room pressurized much better than before with this movie. Notnyt, you should play the first scene at reference with the subs 5-10db's hot, it was awesome!!
MKtheater is online now  
post #150 of 518 Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
stgdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: MNsnowta in april :(
Posts: 2,188
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbldare View Post

This was a HUGE part of the papers that came with my Polk SRT system. It is definitely cleaner and more efficient than my previous systems. So much that I even had to pull out the 'ol Rat Shack meter to make sure. I thought it was hype, but the meter doesn't lie.

Bottom line, this is a fun hobby but be careful. With these systems it doesn't take too long before your hearing starts to suffer. The problem with this type of damage is best explained with the cooking a frog story. How do you boil a frog? Very slowly, turning up the heat gently so it doesn't "hop" out of the pot. It isn't an instant thing with audio either.

dbl

I've come to the realization that reference really doesn't matter for me, if it gets to loud during action sequences I turn it down.

I have found that I will usually run at about -10-15db as thats where both my and my ears are comfortable at.
stgdz is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off