Originally this build was for 8 Maelstrom-X 18s
, but after the QC and build house issues, I've modified my cabinets to take 18" LMS Ultra 5400s.
The drivers are shipped and will arrive on Tuesday. I'll start this off with some pics of my cabinets from the other thread. The only change to the cabinets needed was some routing on the driver hole and the bracing needs to be moved an inch out to make room for the bigger motors. Since I can't move bracing that's glued in place, I just cut out the pieces that would hit the motor and attached new pieces to the back sides of the braces which will not interfere.
I'm powering them with 4 Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone
amps. They are remotely triggered and run through 30 amp industrial relays
. However, the graphs below are all done with 2 then 4 Marathon MA-5050 amps. The FP14000s do not have any of the issues I was having with the Marathons.
You can see a video of the rig in action here
. The real fun starts around 40s in.
Sketchup model of the enclosure, all new from previous:
The models and cut lists are designed for 21/32" thick ply.http://countercultured.net/pics/ht/lms/enclosure.skp
Cut lists.. All new to match new model.
Made some sawdust...
Two enclosures ready for bracing and front baffles.
Time to make the bracing.
I got the center braces in, and just made the first of sixteen of the other braces.
All the bracing is cut. I need to position it and secure it next.
This is how everything lines up. The front baffle is on the left of the screen, bottom/top plate on the right.
More building pics.
The one on the left is ready for filling and sanding. I move it around on the speaker cutouts so I don't screw up the bottom.
With me for scale.
Shot of the baffles.
Nail holes filled.
Sanded and ready for paint
First coat of paint.
These things are huge
Some distortion measurements. These were taken with only two amps. Can get 5-6db louder with the additional amps since they didn't like 2ohm duty so much.
This was really hard to get since my power strips want to give up at this level. Need to get some 20a ones.
Some fr measurements with decay.
New power strips (rackmount PDUs actually) and double the amps
I think I was starting to hit the limits of my mic here. I only measured from 20hz since my amps will protect at this level if I send DC.
I got a new mic and took some measurements from -50 to -10 on the receiver. The subs are boosted like 11.5db here since I was listening to some dubstep before. I would have taken a reading at 0, but the wife is sleeping upstairs
This was taken with the new WM-61A mic I put together. It looks like I'm about to max this out as well as my mic input.
The distortion would be lower, but my house was going CRAZY and I was clipping the input.
I just realized I didn't take close mic measurements, so I took a few more today. I did these quick and without a mic stand, so it may not be perfectly smooth, but close enough to get an idea of what's going on.
All measurements taken at the same level.
This is a measurement at the LP with and without Audyssey
This is close mic vs LP with and without Audyssey
This is close mic without eq, close mic with eq of left, and close mic with eq of right.
Looks like I have about 10db of gain at 10hz, and almost none at 20. Wimpy
Measurements after adding MiniDSP.