Some questions for the THT owners in the house. I’ve noticed that many of the THT build threads are a bit older, so I’m wondering if the owners have feedback on how life with the big box is working out. I've also seen a number of disparaging / dismissive / doubtful comments about the design both here and on other forums, and I find some of its defenders claims to be, um, overzealous and smelling faintly of kool-aid, if that makes sense...
I’m currently debating the path for my first DIY sub (first sub ever, actually) and am going back and forth between a THT and a mid/large ported design. I have a large, open room (18x20, big angled ceiling, open to dining room and foyer, etc) and my HT gear is modest, though upgrades are planned.
My pro/con list:THT
- Documented design and build plan
- Low cost
- Multiple happy owners
- Big box
- Restrictive placement options, at least in my room
- Limited sub-20hz response
- May require EQ/HPF
- Availability of construction material
- Smaller cabinet
- More flexible placement (there are more places to put a standard cab in my room, and the cabinet size and shape can be adjusted to fit in more places)
- Many, many, many options for driver, amplifier, enclosure combinations
- Zillions of successful builds both DIY and commercial
- Greater (lower) extension, smoother rolloff
- Costlier amp/driver
- More design work/construction required (could be a “pro” as well)
I’ve modeled a few different ported boxes based on the Dayton Titanic 15” driver coupled with a 500w plate amp. This combo in an 8 cf net box yields 114+ db at 30hz and drops to 111 db at 20 hz (19hz is the tuning level on this example). This looks pretty good compared with the charts listed on the BFM site for the THT. The amp/driver will end up about $100 more than the THT amp/driver, but MDF is cheaper and much easier to come by than Baltic Birch, at least near me, so construction costs may be a wash.
I guess my question is are the THT owners happy campers, especially at below “hello officer” levels? It’s cool to rattle the pictures off the walls, but how is it living day to day in a modest HT system, in an non-dedicated room? For the record, I’ve purchased the THT plans but am still noodling which way to go. I will say that a THT in my room would have to be no wider than 20" - I know this compromises "something" but have never gotten a clear answer as to what exactly that something *is*.
Many thanks for any thoughts and comments!