"OMFG, Krypto is getting a mic finally!" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 464 Old 03-07-2011, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
When someone is willing to go so far out of their way for you, you accept! Scott is sending me a mic and cables. Scott, you're a real swell guy!

KW, failed super hero

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 464 Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hell yeah krypto! A window into a world of knowledge has just been constructed for you, be sure to use it bro.

And Scott, you da man!
post #3 of 464 Old 03-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 811
*laughs*

Omg. Awesome.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #4 of 464 Old 03-07-2011, 11:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Like the look from a woman when you come up behind her, kind of scared, kind of excited this is opening a big can of worms, but there's no turning back now. Pay attention to the for sale adds in a few weeks guys, I might have to pick up racing or bassball. (I hate sports and I accidentally spelled that as bass... guess I'm not going anywhere)

KW, failed super hero

post #5 of 464 Old 03-07-2011, 11:42 PM
Bass Enabler

Is your computer any good? Recent version of windows? Get steam, play some games with meh.

That will keep us both occupied. Cause, damnit... I gotta stay in and keep saving for more gear.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #6 of 464 Old 03-07-2011, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My PC is OK, walmart special a few years ago... it's no gaming PC, I don't know anything about gaming. So many people come to see the towers, total HT package, and they are so disappointed in me that i dont PSP ad Xbox or any of that. The ultimate gaming room without games or a game box.

KW, failed super hero

post #7 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 12:05 AM
Bass Enabler

Hmmm. Very well.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #8 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 02:47 AM

Liked: 10
congrat,
I have always been interested in what your pressure vessel..... errr i mean bedroom measures.
post #9 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 02:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Good oh! Jordan, can't wait to see your room response.
post #10 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 394
grats

post #11 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186

Now I know the end of the world is near!

post #12 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Bass Enabler

I knew I'd play some part in that.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #13 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

when someone is willing to go so far out of their way for you, you accept! Scott is sending me a mic and cables. Scott, you're a real sweet guy! xoxo

fixt!

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

post #14 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

nothing to say except

KW, failed super hero

post #15 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My PC is OK, walmart special a few years ago... it's no gaming PC, I don't know anything about gaming. So many people come to see the towers, total HT package, and they are so disappointed in me that i dont PSP ad Xbox or any of that. The ultimate gaming room without games or a game box.

I don't game either. I have a PS3 as a BD Player and the game that came with it is still in the shrink wrap.

post #16 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

When I was BR player shopping, PS3's came down in price so i considered getting one just to have it, but then BR players dropped even more, got two of them instead.

KW, failed super hero

post #17 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 10:45 AM
Bass Enabler

Good. Use a real BR player then bother with the gaming machine.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #18 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

When I was BR player shopping, PS3's came down in price so i considered getting one just to have it, but then BR players dropped even more, got two of them instead.

Ya, I have had mine for several years, bought it when it was actually the same price as other players and much better.
Now, I would get something else now that HDMI 1.4 is the norm. It still was a great investment as it has a browser, streams Netflix, and is 3D compatible, etc.

post #19 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK guys, just before I went to get the van TermLab'ed I asked around what would be a good number below 30Hz, a bad number, what should I expect. No one knew what to expect. Then I got 148.2dB@ 25Hz and everyone said it was weak, terrible, pathetic. A few months later, after I let everyone forget, I asked what it would take to get a 150 @ 25Hz. I was told it was impossible without tearing the vehicle apart by some, others posted up videos of vans with 20-40 15"-18" subs, 20 plus amps, 20 or more batteries, doing well over 150dB @ 25Hz.... then I was told my score was good... yadda yadda. I fully know I am doing apples in the van and oranges in the HT, I am just summing up my previous experience of pre-test, testing, post-testing.

So anyway, what can I and what should I expect for what I have? I know full well I went cheap cheap cheap and milked everything for what it's worth. My goals were to build the largest enclosures possible using standard 4'x8' sheets without having to butt ends up or anything like that. As much airspace as possible for the lowest responce possible... very peaky as low as I can get, without going too low and things simply not working. Tuning lower than 13Hz started to have too much of a dip after the peak. 13Hz had the largest subsonic peak and just started to have a little dip above tuning. Tuning a little higher had no dip, just a peak, but was too high for my tastes.

Weaknesses that I'm sure will be an issue:
Power supply. My old wiring is atrocious, I easily made ONE EP4000 clipp on ONE IB3 wired to 4 ohms... not enough power supply to a single amp, let alone two.
Entry way. I have a dining room connected to a living room, the living room is the HT, with a 60"x90" entry way between the two. The 2nd tower, right tower, is right at it. When I only had the one IB3 in the Aztek box, tower two location was a lot quieter than tower one.
Ceiling. My ceiling litterally bounces up to 2" during serious sine waves. My ceiling fan has already ripped itself out of the ceiling from this. It is secure now, but bounces a couple of inches with the ceiling.
The 2nd bedroom door. I tried tightening the door knob, stuffing rags underneith the door, shutting rags in the door, and finally just caulked it. I uncaulked the door and leave it open 2-4" so that it doesnt rattle.
Outside wall, left of listening room. Flexes a good 1/2" during heavy sinewaves. Plenty of loss.
Rear window between the towers. That was my loudest most anoying rattle all along, I fixed it a couple of weeks ago: Caulked all the way around the window panes. Now I hear the entire frames rattle...more like knock... inside the frame/track/guide. Probably a small issue compared to entire walls and ceilings.
Enclosure flex. These things are not tanks, everyone knows it. Sure I'd love to have made a # sign on every single wall of both enclosures, but I just couldn't. Flex WAS atrocious, now it's tollerable. They flex a little, but nothing outragious.
Platform. I can't think of anything off hand, but I just have a feeling the 8'x8' suspended bed does something. Laying on it, it certainly helps you notice the ULF effects. The entire thing wobbles during ULF and it's the majority of the ULF experience.

Co-location vs spread. There's certainly large peak spots and large dips. Standing directly between the towers vs standing right in front of one or the other changes everything, stepping back or forward, left or right, different fequencies... we all know different wavelengths will combine here, cancel out here, and somewhere inbetween here, change the frequecy, change the effect. Standing at the top of the bleechers, loading between the ceiling and the front wall opposite the towers, very loud. Sit down and its a lot quieter. Move forward (away from wall) toward listening position (center of room/platform) a lot quieter.

I know none of this is news, just trying to outline everything ahead of time

KW, failed super hero

post #20 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Also, I know we aren't going to be burping and going for peaks, we going to be making for a better responce, more accurate reproduction of what is intended. I know we'll be fixing room issues... nulls, voids, leaks, flex, resonance... making up for the natural colorations of the enclosures, drivers, electronics. I'm all for it. I also know that fifferent people may have their own personal wants, to see it look like this or that, and I am all for trying different things. First make it as flat with as much extention as we possibly can, then once thats accomplished if I still want the over-exaggerated ULF, tweak it up? I am game!

Another limitation I forgot, but really to me an added benefit for the simple fact of later boosting the ULF unaturally: My surrounds/mains. The tiny little walmart HTIAB cubes. They get much louder than I ever need them, despite my unatural desire for extreme 14kHz on up and extreme midbass: 80-250Hz as well... they get me buy. So when we have the subs smoothly transition flatly from these little guys, that just makes it easier to add the hump and have plenty to do it once it's flat.

KW, failed super hero

post #21 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most of you have probably seen just about enough pics of my setup, but I'm sure plenty just got sick of the towers thread popping back up month after month and may not know what things look like now. They're fuzzy, but should give enough info on things such as a perspective on the entry way, how far the bedroom door usually is open, the plaster that is coming off the lathe (admittedly on it's own, not from 135dB of 14Hz) the structure of the bed platform, space between and above towers.

My girlfriend and her son finished moving in the rest of their things, some things strewn about. Not quite the same bachelor pad it was, for the better I hope.

I know, I know, I am a bandwidth monster, I can not help myself. Erich, would you mind quoting me

jk, jk

KW, failed super hero

post #22 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post

fixt!

holy cow, I love your mains! I'll make 7 of those after I quadrouple up on towers

KW, failed super hero

post #23 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:

holy cow, I love your mains! I'll make 7 of those after I quadrouple up on towers

Thanks bro'.
They are long gone now but were nice while they lasted.
I think you'd be looking for something a little more dynamic like what MK has.
You'd probably blow these to smitherines.

MKtheater -"I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show."

post #24 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Why dont you have them anymore? I don't need massive output above LFE... dynamic yes, but if these little tiny cubes are OK... those would add dynamic X10

KW, failed super hero

post #25 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM

I was moving across the country and sold them. Before I did that I cut the subs off and bought 2 -18's and put them in their own sealed enclosures.

post #26 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miphiston View Post
congrat,
I have always been interested in what your pressure vessel..... errr i mean bedroom measures.
So are you a lurker, only 7 posts I am 1/7th of your posts, I must be cool

KW, failed super hero

post #27 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin111 View Post
I was moving across the country and sold them. Before I did that I cut the subs off and bought 2 -18's and put them in their own sealed enclosures.
I take it back, there's only one t i there... Ill build them but as tWtWtMtTtMt

KW, failed super hero

post #28 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Jordan,

I think you would be very surprised just how different the whole system will sound with much bigger wider range and more powerful speakers. Distortion would be much much lower. My monitor audio speakers still sound very composed even at reference with my onkyo 876. What you have is effectively and don't shout at me, a sub/satelitte package where the mains should be crossed over at much higher than 80hz, maybe even 120hz and the sub at that too. I bet you would need speakers which can run a very easy 115db to keep up with those subs at their max.

cheers

Graham
post #29 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goku14139268520 View Post
Hell yeah krypto! A window into a world of knowledge has just been constructed for you, be sure to use it bro.

And Scott, you da man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

Now I know the end of the world is near!
Quote:
Originally Posted by miphiston View Post
congrat,

yup, still scared! still scared.

KW, failed super hero

post #30 of 464 Old 03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

115dB to start!

We love overkill. -- gperkins1973
My fuse box is my HPF. -- kryptonitewhite

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page