AVS Forum banner

New Mach 5 Audio UXL info

70K views 751 replies 96 participants last post by  blah450 
#1 ·

This is some info I got from Mark tonight. I can't wait to get my hands on 4 of these.

Here are a couple of shots:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-1.jpg
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-2.jpg

A short video of the excursion viewed using a strobe-a-scope. The noise

was everything on the bench rattling like crazy:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto.mpg

Here are some details you can share with the forum:

Voice coil is made by us, which uses a special Polyamide former instead of

aluminum. 40% lighter than aluminum, stronger and can withstand higher

temperatures. The coil will not generate eddy currents like aluminum

does, resulting in lower distortion. Voice coil will use aluminum wire

and glue that well exceeds the temperature of the magnet wire coating.

Cone is carbon fibre with pressed paper. very strong and sexy.

Motor made by us. Will have aluminum shorting ring to cut down back EMF

We are looking at ~33mm Xmax with Xlim at 44mm. This is the limit of the

basket design used.

In all, a serious step beyond the IXL. Listening tests thus far resulted

in comments of 'quick' and 'effortless'.

See less See more
#30 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski /forum/post/20144820

We can build them as big as you want. How much $$ you got?

It would be badass if someone could build a 24-25", 33-35mm xmax driver for at or below the $750 mark.

#31 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 /forum/post/20144894

It would be badass if someone could build a 24-25", 33-35mm xmax driver for at or below the $750 mark.

It could certainly be done, but I doubt something that large would be practical. Its not like 21" drivers are flying off the shelves these days.

#32 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski /forum/post/20144954

It could certainly be done, but I doubt something that large would be practical. Its not like 21" drivers are flying off the shelves these days.

Agreed, but on the other hand, there are not a lot to choose from either.

It would definitely be a lower volume venture (pun intended).

However, if the quality/power handling were up there with the best, I am guessing it would be a serious alternative to some of the other designs/drivers in HT.

I don't know what the Sd would be, but man, some serious air displacement!

#33 ·
I got my 21's simply because of the good deal Kevin gave me and just for the wow factor.

If my new house deal get pushed up a year or 2, it could be getting built within the next 2 years. If that happens, I get a fully built room and anything I want in it (as in build how I want it). I want something not many people have ever seen and since I already have almost half of what I'd need sub wise, It would be no big deal to grab 8 more 18's and have 16 in the room, If Marks subs turn out to be as good as we all hope (i'm sure they will) it would be great to have all his subs in the room and have a great Mach 5/ JTR demo Theater that could destroy your face! lol

The wife said I can do what I want
and I already have 8 eP2500/4000's and a rmx 5050 so I'd be pretty much set power wise.

#34 ·
getting those ribs off the cone helped a ton too, those rings made them look cheap to me, between those and the dustcap I was never interested in them before, but those new cones change everything. In addition to that ginormous motor.

#35 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20145071

I got my 21's simply because of the good deal Kevin gave me and just for the wow factor.

If my new house deal get pushed up a year or 2, it could be getting built within the next 2 years. If that happens, I get a fully built room and anything I want in it (as in build how I want it). I want something not many people have ever seen and since I already have almost half of what I'd need sub wise, It would be no big deal to grab 8 more 18's and have 16 in the room, If Marks subs turn out to be as good as we all hope (i'm sure they will) it would be great to have all his subs in the room and have a great Mach 5/ JTR demo Theater that could destroy your face! lol

The wife said I can do what I want
and I already have 8 eP2500/4000's and a rmx 5050 so I'd be pretty much set power wise.

Nathan, we all know you will want to be buried in a sub box so there's no disputing the fact that you will end up encompassing yourself in "cone"...

Anything beyond 18 inches simply isn't practical, which is why we didn't pursue the size game. Its no different than getting sucked into the Xmax war - little point to it.

If we end up doing anything it would be to an epic size, and probably a one-off anyway... okay, maybe a four-off..

#36 ·
Good luck with the new driver and business Mark.

You and your company are great people to deal with and if I ever get my **** together I know where I'm going to get my subsonics from.

Mike

#37 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski
Nathan, we all know you will want to be buried in a sub box so there's no disputing the fact that you will end up encompassing yourself in "cone"...

Anything beyond 18 inches simply isn't practical, which is why we didn't pursue the size game. Its no different than getting sucked into the Xmax war - little point to it.

If we end up doing anything it would be to an epic size, and probably a one-off anyway... okay, maybe a four-off..
lol, I'm going to want 18's. Just a whole pile of them
The 21's I bought were just a great deal and I wanted to try them out for kicks.

Don't worry Mark, when the time comes, I'm not going to want any one-off's. I don't see the point for the added expense anyways when the proven design will already be made. but it will be epic non the less

#38 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski

the IB22 has 1975 sqcm of cone area and the 18s are 1210

MX21 Sd: 1550 cm^2 MX18 Sd: 1182 cm^2

Tempest-X2 15" Sd: 807 cm^2

Shiva-X2 12" Sd: 506 cm^2

I am guessing by " simply isn't practical " you didn't mean not enough Sd gained to make a difference, maybe you meant for enclosure size and power requirements? I think there have been plenty of sizeable and efficient enough alignments used by the Death Penalty 21 as well as the midified HT version, as well as the MX 21. I don't know about the B&C 21. Sure you generally need a larger enclosure and more power the larger you go, same as going from a 10" to a 12" to a 15" to an 18"... what if youre going from two medium 12's or one large 18" to a large 21" enclosure?

Anyway, Ive been saying for years I want my coffin to be all subs

Burry me beside Nathan :p

#39 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite
for 400 ill save another 65 for XBLL
I reconsidered this, though. Xmax is Xmax. In fact, XBL^2 falls off faster in some cases I believe, so I would LOVE to save $65 and have these as an alternative. As far as the Xmax war, other than the ringed cone and dust cap, I also didn't like the Xmax back in the day, hearing the new Xmax got my attention... though I have finaly learned Xmax isn't everything. And if you made a 23" or 27.75", I'd be in line for one of those for sure.

#40 ·
Last night I had trouble installing Adobe, got it now... Smallest sealed recomended for MX21 is 5 cubic feet, can also be used in IB (waste of motor vs three IB3 18's for the same price sure) and smallest ported listed at 10.6 cubes tuned to 18Hz, admitedly large, but what sized enclosure(s) would have to compare to get the same output with a pair of 12's or 15's?

Incriminator Audio's Death Penalty 21 is a car audio sub, suggested specs:

Ported 7.5 cubes - 10.0 cubes, 90 - 160 Inches of Port, 32-37 Hz

Average: 8.5 cubes, 120 inches, 32-37 Hz

But Nick has built custom DP21's for HT for use in IB/sealed/LLT

Again B&C driver I know nothing about

#41 ·
I just got a message from Mark and the New IXL parts should be arriving in a few weeks. My 1st plan was to replace my IB with these new subs but I'm going to do 2 as stands for my Triple 12's instead. 8 x 18's and 2 x 21's make Nathan a happy boy!!! hehehehe

#44 ·
here;s a pic of mine....and one thing i always used to read about the old IXL 18.2 was " for the price this is a great sub"....and that always worried me. Like it was cheap feeling or sounding...

But the one that mark shipped to me is a top shelf quality driver...at any price

#48 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc /forum/post/20316976

The tall surround makes it look a lot more high end than the pics on the first post.

Yeah, it gives it an 'LMS" look....

#49 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkson
ok, so how much?
such has been the question all along.... all these magnificent numbers and pics and second hand info... but it all boils down to cost. IXLs were super cheap therefore great bang for the buck. From the sounds of it they are stepping it up a few notches, but everyone knows thats going to mean cost as well. So now it's going to be competing up up up in a bigger/better class, so the cost will have to go up up up there with it.

#50 ·
Im sure it is said in here, but why were the 1st pics with 1/2 roll surround and the 2nd set of pics the tall skinny surround? What effects differe between the 2?

Also, can you get these without the paper/cardboard gasket on the front/top side on the mounting flange? I prefer the rubber mounting gaskets that wrap around.

Pics of the bottom, pole vent?

#51 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/20344261

Im sure it is said in here, but why were the 1st pics with 1/2 roll surround and the 2nd set of pics the tall skinny surround? What effects differe between the 2?

Also, can you get these without the paper/cardboard gasket on the front/top side on the mounting flange? I prefer the rubber mounting gaskets that wrap around.

Pics of the bottom, pole vent?

Like i said, mine was a non production model, and mark was doing some testing of the high surround....so i offered to buy it from him.

i too prefer to have the wrap around mounting gasket, but that was not offered to me.

It is not a vented pole...or at least mine wasn't.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.