AVS Forum banner

New Mach 5 Audio UXL info

70K views 751 replies 96 participants last post by  blah450 
#1 ·

This is some info I got from Mark tonight. I can't wait to get my hands on 4 of these.

Here are a couple of shots:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-1.jpg
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-2.jpg

A short video of the excursion viewed using a strobe-a-scope. The noise

was everything on the bench rattling like crazy:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto.mpg

Here are some details you can share with the forum:

Voice coil is made by us, which uses a special Polyamide former instead of

aluminum. 40% lighter than aluminum, stronger and can withstand higher

temperatures. The coil will not generate eddy currents like aluminum

does, resulting in lower distortion. Voice coil will use aluminum wire

and glue that well exceeds the temperature of the magnet wire coating.

Cone is carbon fibre with pressed paper. very strong and sexy.

Motor made by us. Will have aluminum shorting ring to cut down back EMF

We are looking at ~33mm Xmax with Xlim at 44mm. This is the limit of the

basket design used.

In all, a serious step beyond the IXL. Listening tests thus far resulted

in comments of 'quick' and 'effortless'.

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/20344349

Like i said, mine was a non production model, and mark was doing some testing of the high surround....so i offered to buy it from him.

i too prefer to have the wrap around mounting gasket, but that was not offered to me.

It is not a vented pole...or at least mine wasn't.

Non vented pole, is the generalization that it has more BL, more steel in the pole, higher Fs... more powerful motor?

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite /forum/post/20344261

Im sure it is said in here, but why were the 1st pics with 1/2 roll surround and the 2nd set of pics the tall skinny surround? What effects differe between the 2?

Also, can you get these without the paper/cardboard gasket on the front/top side on the mounting flange? I prefer the rubber mounting gaskets that wrap around.

Pics of the bottom, pole vent?

Mark said the surrounds will not change the numbers much. abit higher F's with the high roll. IMO the high roll looks badass!!!

#58 ·
Any further word on ETA, final specs or price yet?

#59 ·
I know his shop has moved to a new location. I think they are trying to get settled in. I hope for his sake he can get these to market soon because he's going to have one of the only affordable 18" drivers on the market right now.

#61 ·
Between Mark and Rob over at CSS... I will definitely go crazy.

#62 ·
Yes, one step forward, 0.75 steps back

As Nathan mentioned, our move to a new location set things back unfortunately. On top of this came updates to our coil winder, a new CNC turning center, etc. etc.

Out of ciaos comes order.

My target is to have parts turned and ready to go by the end of June. I should have specs up on the website by then.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,

Mark

#63 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski /forum/post/20557245

Yes, one step forward, 0.75 steps back

As Nathan mentioned, our move to a new location set things back unfortunately. On top of this came updates to our coil winder, a new CNC turning center, etc. etc.

Out of ciaos comes order.

My target is to have parts turned and ready to go by the end of June. I should have specs up on the website by then.

Thanks for your patience.

Best,

Mark

any news for those of us with the 21s? (or does this news include that too?)

Thanks

Matt

#65 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrogowski /forum/post/20557529

Still waiting on the parts Matt. I received an Email from the supplier last week apologizing for the delay. I will keep you informed on any updates.

Best,

Mark

okay, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Regards,

Matt

#66 ·
Hey I am really interested in getting one of these 18s. Id like to get in on a pre release special if there is one. Does anyone know if mark is taking orders yet? Is there a definitive price yet, introductory price? I plan on pairing it with my two AE 18" passives, how will this do? Will the passive be enough, I think I remember someone saying they had an 18" lms with two AE passives.

Dan

#69 ·
I just got an email from Mark saying that the new drivers should be ready in 1.5 weeks! I asked him for some numbers, so hopefully he will get back to me in the next day or 2 so we can start modeling!!!

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG /forum/post/20859462

I just got an email from Mark saying that the new drivers should be ready in 1.5 weeks! I asked him for some numbers, so hopefully he will get back to me in the next day or 2 so we can start modeling!!!

I sure hope so! Curious to see how awesome they will be.

Will there be numbers for anything besides the 21, you know?

#75 ·
Is this for the 18 or the 21, i thought the 21 parts were still on the boat from china.

Matt

#76 ·
ya, the numbers will be for the 18's. Mark said the 21's should have the parts needed in 6 weeks. I will go have a peek and make my decision when he gets one built

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.