AVS Forum banner

New Mach 5 Audio UXL info

70K views 751 replies 96 participants last post by  blah450 
#1 ·

This is some info I got from Mark tonight. I can't wait to get my hands on 4 of these.

Here are a couple of shots:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-1.jpg
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto-2.jpg

A short video of the excursion viewed using a strobe-a-scope. The noise

was everything on the bench rattling like crazy:
http://www.istonline.ca/download/proto.mpg

Here are some details you can share with the forum:

Voice coil is made by us, which uses a special Polyamide former instead of

aluminum. 40% lighter than aluminum, stronger and can withstand higher

temperatures. The coil will not generate eddy currents like aluminum

does, resulting in lower distortion. Voice coil will use aluminum wire

and glue that well exceeds the temperature of the magnet wire coating.

Cone is carbon fibre with pressed paper. very strong and sexy.

Motor made by us. Will have aluminum shorting ring to cut down back EMF

We are looking at ~33mm Xmax with Xlim at 44mm. This is the limit of the

basket design used.

In all, a serious step beyond the IXL. Listening tests thus far resulted

in comments of 'quick' and 'effortless'.

See less See more
#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/20141466

Hope they get rid of the fugly dustcap graphics or at least offer no graphics as an option.

My trusty Sharpie will take care of that.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/20141466

Hope they get rid of the fugly dustcap graphics or at least offer no graphics as an option.

these look awesome, but even better are the xmax/xmech specs... I agree, ditch the dustcap and its 100% than old... wait, whats pricing looking to be

#15 ·
for 400 ill save another 65 for XBLL

#16 ·
They are not going to be the old prices guys, I think we all know that. Mark didn't say what his pricing goals were. The fact that they build them here and not in China may be a good thing for us consumers. He has all of the tools here to build so that make will make some savings for us. I really think the price will be around $325-350 per driver but thats just a guess. The old IXL's had a pure black dust cap option. I also hope he makes that an option as I'm not a fan of any graphics on my subs.

I love my old IXL's, for the money they are great subs and perform very well. Mark also said that he can build the new IXL's with the high roll surround like the LMS ultra no problems. It will change the specs a bit but nothing major.

Hopefully one day I'll go see them in person and take a few more shots for everyone.

#17 ·
To clarify - I like the Mach5 art design on its own. I just don't like ANY art on my subwoofers.

I don't even like the "grey" cone on my favorite woofer, the JBL 2226.

And I HATE silver or copper cones. Actually, I hate anything reflective. Including those shiny dust cap spikes on some subs.

More than one company has lost a potential sale from me because they had a great product, but couldn't keep it basic black like a speaker should be.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/20142034

To clarify - I like the Mach5 art design on its own. I just don't like ANY art on my subwoofers.

I don't even like the "grey" cone on my favorite woofer, the JBL 2226.

And I HATE silver or copper cones. Actually, I hate anything reflective. Including those shiny dust cap spikes on some subs.

More than one company has lost a potential sale from me because they had a great product, but couldn't keep it basic black like a speaker should be.

I agree, I want my stuff to blend in rather than stick out.

#20 ·
I was just thinking, with the 4 that I'm going to buy, I'll have 10x18's and 2x21's in my little room LOL If I can't kill someone with the bass or at least make them poop themselves, I'm gonna be very sad indeed

#21 ·
Well between these and what CSS is proposing,we Canadians will have a choice again to some good subdrivers.... the only thing is >>when?

#24 ·
Nice! It seems that the motor is bigger in the new model which should translate to more power handling. More Xmax and a shorting ring are nice additions. If the price is competitive, around $400, it should do well.

How about parameters such as power handling and sensitivity? Measurements of the sub? How about T/S Parameters like Fs, etc.? Also, on the old model, a 130L was recommended for sealed. Will the new model work better on a smaller box?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.