Whew. First real build.
First disclosure so you yall don't think I'm a poser later: Spec'd the cabinets but had them built up professionally because I'm no woodworker and don't have a shop to work in.
1) Went with a two way with a *sealed* alignment to accommodate my tastes for faster bass with an acceptably higher f3. I have a fathom 112 so I'm happy with an 80 Hz crossover point.
2) Changed two Xover values as suggested by zaph to adjust baffle step to near-wall configuration (I have a rather small listening room)
3) I used D3004/662001 tweets instead of the spec'd 660000's. madisound ensured same specs and I wanted the look. So far, sounds like they are appropriately equivalent.
4) sound damped with 2" top/bottom/back and 1" back of oc703 fiberglass equivalent
5) oh yeah, I built 5 of them.
one tower is 10" shorter for center channel use. I wanted five sonically equivalent sound sources.
So far, I am happy with them, but not elated. maybe they need breaking in, maybe they need xover adjustments. damping should be ok with the fiberglass.
the sound isn't as dynamic as i'd like but it is smooth. there just seems to be something missing but i can't yet put my finger on it. i don't have measuring equipment (yet) so I can't show any diagrams.
source is a panny BD player into a denon 3808ci. used audyssey on and off. on-flat sounds better, but levels were off so i've been adjusting. xover points are all 80Hz overridden. speakers set to small and sub to LFE+main.
Thoughts/questions/criticisms welcome... thanks