2Likes

post #1 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Hey guys,

It seems that everyone that gets a chance to audition or demo the Synergy Horn line from Danley Sound Labs is thrilled with the "definition, clarity and effortless sound" that design yields. Some have even compared the SH50/60 favorably to electrostats. Many have gone to a full Danely 5.1 setup as a direct result.

Tom Danley has worked with other members of the DIY community on several other projects to include the predecessor to the Synergy Horn (Unity horns) line and most recently the hugely popular DTS-10 kit.

Each project started with a common denominator, demand and requests from DIYers like you and me. If there is a market for a product and it is fiscally feasible, it has a good chance of coming to fruition.

I fully realize that not everyone likes or 'believes' in horns and each design has its inherent strengths and weaknesses. However, I think we can all agree that as a community we all benefit to some degree from the differing designs and implementations discussed in this forum, if not only from the resulting debates. More choices and competition is always a good thing.

The one limiting factor for many of us is the price of the Danley products. These are commercial grade offerings and the price is commensurate with the performance. Many of us would not have been able to afford the purchase of a DTS-10 at the fully assembled price, but the kit form really put things into reach.

So, my suggestion is to contact the powers to be at Danley and politely request that a Synergy horn kit be designed and made available for the DIYers out there. The only thing that I can guarantee is that if you don't make the request, there will be no kit.

I am not sure who to contact about this, but jeff@danleysoundlabs.com, the customer service rep might be a good start.

OR you can call customer service or fax in your request.
LOCAL: 770.535.0204
TOLL FREE: 877.419.5805

FAX: 678.928.4010

International (direct dial to U.S.):
011 + 1 + 770.535.0204

Hours of operation (Monday-Friday):
8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

Let's hope there is enough demand to get a kit in the pipeline.
I can almost here the Danley skunk works firing up now!

This thread will either die miserably or be the impetus behind another great product.

If you would like to see a Synergy Horn in kit form post here too to keep this thread on the radar so to speak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Good luck! I wouldn't hold your breath though.

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #3 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'd even like to see a Unity horn kit.

DIY Synergy horn spreadsheet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

XSim -free crossover designer and simulator
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I don't know what it is but I want one also.

"The boom is dead, long live the bass"
post #5 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CZ, I hope you are feeling better after your mishap.

Anyway,
You can see the designs like the SH-60, etc on Danley's site.

Amazing efficiency and ungodly amounts of SPL when required, but most importantly, I understand the SQ is top notch.

Trust me when I tell you that this is in the realm of possibility.
If you are seriously interested, contact them so they know.

post #6 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 250
MSRP of the SH-60?

post #7 of 513 Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

MSRP of the SH-60?

Can't answer the SH60 but I know that the SH50 is 4K a piece and the SM60 is 2500 a piece.
post #8 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Synergy horn kits!! Yes, that would be great.
post #9 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 76
$3925 passive for the SH60I
$6095 powered for the SH60IP

Scott sent me a list of the prices for all the Danley products as I to had a hope that maybe someday.

post #10 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 187
It seems to me that if there were a kit, the simplest one (SM60M) would be best. For one thing, they wouldn't have to offer a cabinet. Just the molded horn, drive-unit, and crossover.

And arguably it could sound the best, given that there are no woofer holes on the horn to cause diffraction.

Rank speculation here, but I also wonder if it wouldn't be easier to integrate with direct-radiating subwoofers than the bandpass/horn woofers in the bigger Synergy horns.

It would be the modern equivalent of the old Lambda Unity kit, with about the same bass extension. Choose your own midbass and subs.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #11 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Depending on price I could definitely see myself being interested in something like this

-
post #12 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

International (direct dial to U.S.):
011 + 1 + 770.535.0204

Hours of operation (Monday-Friday):
8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time

Just as an aside, and most people who may choose the direct-dial option would already know this bit, but in most of the world international dialing is 00-[country code] - [number]. Here, 001.770.535.0204.

The "011" dial-out-of-country code is just US and Canada, I think.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #13 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Mr Danley did just post in the speaker forum about this topic

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #14 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I did not know there are 2 threads. Anyways, I would be very interested!!
post #15 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll save others the time of finding the Speaker forum (and the corresponding thread) :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Danley View Post

Ok guys, I get the picture.

I will make another “pitch” at the shop when the moment seems right.
I have no idea what we can do or what makes sense for a DIY project like this.
I am a little leery too as there are many ways to mess up a full range speaker even with all the parts.

On the other hand, my neighbor built a Heathkit color TV when I was little and that was inconceivable to me having built a couple small Heath kits and Knight kits. In a very real way, I think a hard project that turns out well is more satisfying than a simple one.

You guys might discuss what makes sense from your perspective and PLEASE DO NOT start calling the shop about “a kit” until I have an answer on #1 if we can do something and #2 what that would be.

Keep your fingers crossed over the next few days, I will post something when there is something to post.
Best,
Tom Danley

-
post #16 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

My guess is it ain't going to be cheap but it will certainly get the name and product out there.

post #17 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Mr Danley did just post in the speaker forum about this topic

Sweet, at least we got his attention!

post #18 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKtheater View Post

I did not know there are 2 threads. Anyways, I would be very interested!!

I started one over there too because I was not sure how often they, mainly Tom frequented the DIY subs and speakers forum and the SH-50/60 was already being discussed over there.
And a DIY kit is kind of falls into both camps, not really fully DIY and not really finished product...

It would be cool!

post #19 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmst3 View Post

I started one over there too because I was not sure how often they, mainly Tom frequented the DIY subs and speakers forum and the SH-50/60 was already being discussed over there.
And a DIY kit is kind of falls into both camps, not really fully DIY and not really finished product...

It would be cool!

I agree
post #20 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 09:42 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Hmmm, very cool. Interested in some specs and a price before I get excited. A Unity horn project is always welcome.

Very interesting timing here.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #21 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post

Hmmm, very cool. Interested in some specs and a price before I get excited. A Unity horn project is always welcome.

Very interesting timing here.

I think everyone has price in mind as a concern.

However, if we could get some kind of idea on what we would like to see it might help. Think the SM60F is about the closest thing I can find to model a sane project after.

post #22 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 79
If it would be offered as a kit and then take on life as a new product within the line up, then maybe some sort of hybrid would be good. Something in the middle of the SH 50 and SM60F utilizing maybe 10" woofs instead of the 12s of the SH50 and the 8s of the SM60F. SPL demands of all drivers intended could be scaled down a bit for use in home theater so not as robust as their pro counter parts. Or maybe even something on the order of the old Unity horn kit.
post #23 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

If it would be offered as a kit and then take on life as a new product within the line up, then maybe some sort of hybrid would be good. Something in the middle of the SH 50 and SM60F utilizing maybe 10" woofs instead of the 12s of the SH50 and the 8s of the SM60F. SPL demands of all drivers intended could be scaled down a bit for use in home theater so not as robust as their pro counter parts. Or maybe even something on the order of the old Unity horn kit.

I can see a unity horn on top of my dual 15's. Seriously though, I would rather have a full range(70-80hz) going to my subs so I can run an AVR or regular multichannel amp. My amps I have now will go with my speakers since they are made that way. I would love to focus on clean reference levels from 20 feet away(second row of seating) being a minimum. I don't want to lose the dynamics and big sound I have now but will give up a little for better realism which will take some effort as I love the speakers I have now.
post #24 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Agreed, F3 at around 60 Hz would be ideal, 60-80 could work.

post #25 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
No matter what it is, I would just XO it to my bass bins and have full range speakers.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #26 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
I think some aspects should be looked at here if a kit would be offered (though I don't believe there will be one offered)...

First just as posted in the first post, price. The dts-10 kit was approx 1/3 the price of the fully assembled version with the addition of a finish putting it in the 1/3 to 1/2 price range. If the same would hold true for a kit like this we would be looking at a price of ~$1300-1500 per speaker. While this certainly is cheaper, we wouldn't be as lucky as with a subwoofer. By that I mean most people bought 1 dts-10. With speakers we would be looking at a minimum of 2 speakers bringing total cost to $2600-3000 plus shipping. For a full 5 channel setup we'd be looking at potentiall $6k for the speakers. Most of the diy guys get into it for money saving reasons. I'm one of those. Cost, although much cheaper, would still ultimately be an issue.

Second, the complexity of the build. This mainly involves the crossover. I'd be willing to throw money down that out of the couple to few hundred dts-10 owners that maybe 5% know how to build a crossover and maybe only 15-20% would be willing to try. Overall I believe this build would be much more intense from a mental standpoint compared to the dts-10.

Third, those that managed to sneak a dts-10 by their wife in the "can I have it please please please" chapter only to later have a box the size of a miata show up and their wives nearly killing them (once again I am one of those), I got a feeling that whole trick won't work again.

I'm not saying I don't want a kit. I would love it. I just think the likelihood of it is slim at best.

post #27 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonnash View Post

Third, those that managed to sneak a dts-10 by their wife in the "can I have it please please please" chapter only to later have a box the size of a miata show up and their wives nearly killing them (once again I am one of those), I got a feeling that whole trick won't work again.

Do like I do, take a day off in order to get them inside and in the basement.

Its not like they really notice any of the gear that is in the theater, all they want to know is where is the power button and how can I change it to HGTV or food network.

Also MK are you ever going to post pictures of your room treatments? I haven't seen anything in your photobucket recently.

post #28 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If it is going to happen, then I am sure Tom will come up with something great.

Agreed, affordability will be the key, perhaps more than one design.

post #29 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

You just described my foray into the world of the DTS-10 to a tee! My wife was seriously pissed when she saw how big this monster was! I warned her numerous times about the dimensions of this thing but she is one of those people who has a hard time envisioning something in her head. She has to see the product. And when she did it sure wasn't pretty! Man that was fun!

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #30 of 513 Old 03-21-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 1023
one idea to differentiate the horn kit would be to make it ~90 x ~45.

william cowan has experimented with these.

left side, click "unity, the finale" for diy unite horns with input from t.d.

http://www.cowanaudio.com/

Listen. It's All Good.
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page