post #61 of 164 Old 04-05-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed H View Post

The before (Paradigm ADP100) and the after. These sound really good as surrounds. Heck, they sounded really good as mains!

Audyssey crossed them at 80Hz (and down a few dB), so the somewhat small enclosure isn't going to hurt too bad.

Time to start planning the rears.

I see you are playing some COD Black ops

Im on once or twice a week (Afortyyearold is my tag)

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 164 Old 04-05-2011, 05:02 PM

Liked: 10
Eddie, I can't wait to see pics. I was wondering what wood you used. Oak veneer ply - very interesting!

penngray, yes that is COD. My son was playing at the time - like he always does in his free time. I only play on occasion (once/twice a week). I usually play Rock Band 3 using my ION drum kit and Rock Pedal. Our tag is xxPlay4Crapxx. I should say my son, that is....
post #63 of 164 Old 04-05-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Love my Ions and Rock Pedal! Good choice, my friend. As for the ply, I'm good with woodworking and building things, but haven't mustered up the courage to try a veneer job over MDF yet. Plus, the ply is pretty light, even at 3/4 thickness.

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #64 of 164 Old 04-05-2011, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ed H, which setting did you choose on the crossover? I have been meaning to ask but have been mad busy this week. Also, did you try both settings during the initial test when you hooked them up as mains?
post #65 of 164 Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 AM

When tested as mains, I only used the 'flat' setting. Then I switched to surround when I hung them. I intend on testing both settings when the rears are complete. Maybe this weekend..?
post #66 of 164 Old 04-06-2011, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

I tried both settings on the one I have finished yesterday while it was hooked up as my right main. Turned off all processing in the receiver and ran it stereo only. After listening to some music and TV, I could tell when the switch was flipped that the last bit of that high "sparkliness" was gone on the cinema setting, but honestly, if used as surrounds only, I doubt you could tell the difference when watching a movie.

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #67 of 164 Old 04-06-2011, 06:21 AM
AVS Special Member

One more thing. From playing tones and checking woofer excursion, it looks like tuning on my design in around 38-40Hz. Even tones in the low 30s at high volume produced no bad sounds from the woofer. So, at anything but insane volume in a medium sized room or smaller, these could be run full range as surrounds.

post #68 of 164 Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I appreciate your input Ed & Eddie. I look forward to being able to give my impression soon too. Ended up getting a FT job so time is at a premium. This weekend will be clutch.

So I cut the angles in the side pieces free hand on the table saw. Got them all about 1/16" off and decided to clamp them together and sand them. My miter attachment will not accommodate the size of the side panels. I will end up eye balling the angles on the table saw and see how close I can get.

I would like to hear any suggestion you guys have about my methods if you have input you feel would help simplify the cuts I have left.
post #69 of 164 Old 04-07-2011, 08:54 AM

I am sorry if i missed it but what was the size of the mid enclosure that you used?

Chris

New House, New Wife, Hello Basement!!!
post #70 of 164 Old 04-07-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

The estimation for the mid enclosure is roughly 1.25L=.04414cf for simplicity sake this equates to a 5.75" cube using .75" material resulting in a .04442cf enclosure.

From post 27
post #71 of 164 Old 04-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:

From post 27

Thanks! Sorry I looked and looked but must have looked over it!

Chris

post #72 of 164 Old 04-07-2011, 01:24 PM

I have been considering building these cabinets sealed. My question is how much less space inside would be necessary for this? Would .75 cf work? Need more/less? Can someone tell me if this is even a good idea?

Chris

post #73 of 164 Old 04-07-2011, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caviguy96 View Post

Thanks! Sorry I looked and looked but must have looked over it!

No problem. I only referenced the post so you knew where to look if you wanted to read the rest of the post. I also added the info to the opening post as it can be tedious to read every post.
post #74 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caviguy96 View Post

I have been considering building these cabinets sealed. My question is how much less space inside would be necessary for this? Would .75 cf work? Need more/less? Can someone tell me if this is even a good idea?

I read your post and unfortunately I can't help in that area. I was hoping one of the more seasoned members would see that one. I am certain a sealed enclosure would be fine, I am just not sure how the crossover may effect the sound. It may not at all. I wish I could help more.
post #75 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:

I read your post and unfortunately I can't help in that area. I was hoping one of the more seasoned members would see that one. I am certain a sealed enclosure would be fine, I am just not sure how the crossover may effect the sound. It may not at all. I wish I could help more.

I appreciate the response filtor. I am really hoping to get some input soon because I am going to start working on the cabinets tomorrow! If I do not hear anything back I will most likely just go with the ported design. I would like to go sealed mainly due to making the cabinet a bit smaller, although this is not a huge issue. I will make it work either way. If I don't get a response I will just go with the 19x14x9.5 box design and call it a day.

Chris

post #76 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 490
If I was just guessing, I'd say the woofer section could be .75 cu ft if sealed versus ported. Sort of a tough call. I guess you could always throw one together pretty quick though.
post #77 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good point Erich. You could knock out a quick square enclosure at .75cf pretty quick and test it. I am so lucky. My wifey says she knew who she married. I have free reign in the speaker department. Not insinuating that desire to have smaller cabs is due to WAF Chris, just noting how lucky I am.
post #78 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

If I was just guessing, I'd say the woofer section could be .75 cu ft if sealed versus ported. Sort of a tough call. I guess you could always throw one together pretty quick though.

I may play around with it a bit tomorrow.

Quote:

Good point Erich. You could knock out a quick square enclosure at .75cf pretty quick and test it. I am so lucky. My wifey says she knew who she married. I have free reign in the speaker department. Not insinuating that desire to have smaller cabs is due to WAF Chris, just noting how lucky I am.

I am glad that the WAF are supportive! My fiancee is quite supportive as well (surprisingly enough ). When I told her about the deal on these speakers she didn't even hesitate and said "Go for it!"

I will let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks again for the support here guys!

Chris

post #79 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sweet. I look forward to it. I almost have one cab 90% done. going to try and remedy that this weekend.
post #80 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 01:50 PM

My brother has a really nicefully equipped wood shop at his house so that's where I'm going tomorrow to start this project. If all goes well I should have something testable tomorrow. We also built a desk for my new house a few weeks ago that needs painting so my focus will be divided but I'll make sure to get something done!

Chris

post #81 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 04:19 PM

filtor1, those are pretty darn good for just eye balling it!

The remaining angles - on the ends of the boards I assume? You have a few options I suppose. Circular saw or jig saw set to the correct angle, then follow the board edge extremely closely and sand any imperfections. Or a router with the correct angled bit? If you use your table saw, make some quick and dirty jigs to hold the boards at the correct angle as you cut them.

I hope this helps....
post #82 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I appreciate the advice. I ended up giving it a whirl. I got the angles almost dead on using the table saw and left 1/2 a blade width for wiggle room. It fits great less my eye ball cuts. They are off more than it appears. Since it is the back panel I am just going to use screws to pull it tight and let it be. I will experiment some tomorrow and see if I can duplicate it. If not, they will be square. I will only have to re-cut the 4 front panels and cut down the back and sides. Going to try and push through it first.
post #83 of 164 Old 04-08-2011, 07:34 PM

I look forward to seeing your speakers assembled. You are the only one to post that is keeping the true dimensions, with angles, etc. Very cool.

Do you know how you are going to finish them? I am still undecided. Heck, the sub I built earlier still sits in plain MDF with the screws still in! (See earlier pics). I want to finish them all at one time, after I figure out what I want to do with them.

Maybe I'll built my LCR next. It will give me more time to think about a finish. I'm thinking Nat P's, but have a lot more research to do....
post #84 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mine will only be 6 panels, theirs is 7. I am already challenging myself there. lol I didn't want to tackle the 7 panel. I am going to fill the screw holes and paint these the color of the living room in an effort to mitigate their actual size. My background is in building boxes for automotive audio and very rarely were they ever this "small". But hanging in my living room, 1cf appears bigger than I thought.

Here are a couple of the boxes I built this past year:

The first one was (2-12" AA Havoc's) the last incarnation of many attempts at getting what I wanted in my car. Happened to be my favorite. 4cf tuned to 28. The second one (3-12" JL W6's) was for a friends clients Avalanche.

I gotta get motivated.

Edit: I found a couple pictures of the finished product from one of the boxes for my car.

post #85 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 01:49 PM

VERY nice!

My start was actually in car audio as well, although I only built boxes for personal use (a one buddy of mine). My best was a custom-built ported box with (2) 12" subs that filled the entire back hatch area of a Trans Am. The amps and crossover sat at the bottom of the well in the back, and everything else was speaker. It filled the rest of the well and was proud about 6", extending right to the back seats. The speakers pointed upwards towards the hatch glass, and the ports forward towards the passengers. If I turned up the volume (500 W RMS), it would extinguish a bic lighter. Ah, those were the days! The same subs (Soundstream) are now in a bandpass box that only occupies the well of my newer Formula (a '94)...

I got all the wood cut for the second set of surrounds today. Finally some nice weather in Chicago, so I was to do this outside instead of coating my garage with another 1/4" of MDF dust.

Tomorrow will be build day IF the wife let's me duck out of house work 2 days in a row....
post #86 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

1st pair almost complete. Still need to add trim pieces to them and my curved SLA center. Screwed up and had the grain running in opposite directions on the front. Oh, well. I'll build the next pair the same way and have each pair match but be opposite of the other pair. Won't matter with the lights down, anyway. I flipped the tweeter upside down on one to build mirror image pairs.
LL

post #87 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 06:02 PM

Wow, those look great, Eddie! Really wishing I did the laminated ply now.... It's going to take me numerous coats of primer and paint to get a good finish. You make it look easy!
post #88 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey, thanks Ed! The veneered ply is easy to work with except for the edges. All I did was sand it, put some pre-stain wood conditioner on, stain it, then poly it. They could stand to be hit with some 220 grit or fine steel wool and have another coat or two of poly put on, but they look ok to me for now. They sound fantastic, though. I forget who said it, maybe LTD02, but this JBL Pro stuff does make mass market stuff look like toys. They're made to be pounded on constantly and not fail. Thanks again, Erich. Smokin' deal, for sure.

post #89 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 07:02 PM

Well, after a day of working on these this is what I came up with. I followed the 19x14x9.5 cabinet dimensions with a port. I just used the 2" PVC method. It seems to have worked well. We tested them on my brother's stereo system and they sounded great! The plan is to remove the screws and fill the holes then sand everything smooth and give them a nice black paint job to match the other speakers I have. All in all they turned out well I think.

This is the first set we finished

This is the second set. (gee, these look alot like the others)

Here they are together.

LL
LL
LL

Chris

post #90 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Mine will only be 6 panels, theirs is 7. I am already challenging myself there. lol I didn't want to tackle the 7 panel. I am going to fill the screw holes and paint these the color of the living room in an effort to mitigate their actual size. My background is in building boxes for automotive audio and very rarely were they ever this "small". But hanging in my living room, 1cf appears bigger than I thought.

Here are a couple of the boxes I built this past year:

The first one was (2-12" AA Havoc's) the last incarnation of many attempts at getting what I wanted in my car. Happened to be my favorite. 4cf tuned to 28. The second one (3-12" JL W6's) was for a friends clients Avalanche.

I gotta get motivated.

Edit: I found a couple pictures of the finished product from one of the boxes for my car.

Wow man! Those are very impressive!!! I did some car audio back in my younger years but I don't remember my stuff turning out that nice! Good Job!

Chris

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page