Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Horton View Post
1st pair almost complete. Still need to add trim pieces to them and my curved SLA center. Screwed up and had the grain running in opposite directions on the front. Oh, well. I'll build the next pair the same way and have each pair match but be opposite of the other pair. Won't matter with the lights down, anyway. I flipped the tweeter upside down on one to build mirror image pairs.
Those look very good Eddie! I definitely like the ability to do some staining. For my application I just want mine black but the ply looks great!

Chris

New House, New Wife, Hello Basement!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks, Chris! Good job on the build. If they sound anything like mine, we'll all be smiling!

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #93 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Horton View Post
Thanks, Chris! Good job on the build. If they sound anything like mine, we'll all be smiling!
Thanks Eddie! All I can say is that I am definitely smiling!

Chris

post #94 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Very nice job Eddie!

Chris, I messed up a lot before I got things dialed in. I posted my good ones. Also, your rendition of the 8330's are awesome. You both are motivating me to get mine done.
post #95 of 164 Old 04-09-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post
Very nice job Eddie!

Chris, I messed up a lot before I got things dialed in. I posted my good ones. Also, your rendition of the 8330's are awesome. You both are motivating me to get mine done.
Thank you for the kind words. It was a labor of love. Now if those contractors will just finish building my house so I have a basement to start building a theater in I will be all set!

Chris

post #96 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's what I want to know: Where's all the other cool build threads from the JBL group buy? I wanna see some of those 15's and 18's and CD's and big horns!

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #97 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I log on and look for them every day Eddie.
post #98 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 AM

I agree with you two. I would be very interested to see what those who purchased the 15s and 18s have done for cabinets.

Chris

post #99 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, after spending a good amount of time putting the Christmas decorations in the attic, finally, I made some semi progress.

Not sure if I should even post this, but here goes nothing. I didn't think about the mid chamber, well, at all. I just made them for the volume I wanted and expected them to fit. Time for a healthy laugh. Square peg-meet round hole.

After walking away from it for a minute or so I came up with a solution. Took 45 out of the short sides.

This was to be my test box to fail on. But it turned out to be a good template. I am going to run to HD and grab some liquid nails for the leaks from my hand cut angles and the holes for the wires in the midrange chambers. The others turned out way better. I took my time. Go figure. I am getting there. Sorry it is taking so long. More pics to come.

Chris
post #100 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 05:44 PM

Despite your little speedbump that looks awesome my friend! Good job on the build! Have you tested them out yet?

Chris

post #101 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

TY Chris, the plan was to get at least that one done but no dice. HD closed before we could get there. I get off work at 4:30PM so I hope to get to the store and get home so I can make that happen. I am very happy with the layout I chose. The baffle was extended to 22"x 14" to accommodate the port layout I wanted. The mid and port are centered at 11" and the others offset to my liking. If anyone wants my chicken scratch, I will post it.
post #102 of 164 Old 04-10-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

That Precision Port looks mean on there!

post #103 of 164 Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM

Quote:

Time for a healthy laugh. Square peg-meet round hole.

Oh, that is funny! I'm happy to see you found a clever solution without having to pull one of the panels. That was pretty creative.

The speaker looks great. I like the original dims. As Eddie says, that port looks mean on there! Nice job with the angled cuts too. Sweet!
post #104 of 164 Old 04-11-2011, 07:56 PM

I finished the rear surrounds this evening.

The front baffle height on these is 11" compared to the side surrounds that I had to squeeze into 9.5". A couple boring pics attached.

Let me tell you this. After giving these a listen as full surrounds (sides, rear), I can honestly say my mains and center have to go. I thought they sounded great until I put these JBLs in back. Wow..

Like I said before, these sound dang good as mains.... Probably better than what I have right now.

As a side note, is there a certain wood filler that is preferred by the DIY crowd? I am looking for something easy to apply (like drywall spackle) that will form an extremely sound surface for sanding, painting, etc. I saw Bondo (car filler) mentioned in previous posts, but that might be too thick. (It's been a LONG time since I used Bondo on anything).
LL
LL
LL
post #105 of 164 Old 04-12-2011, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Awesome, Ed! I bet all 4 running at the same time do sound great. Haven't even started on my second pair yet, but I'm going to get the trim pieces today for the first pair and the SLA.

post #106 of 164 Old 04-12-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed H View Post

As a side note, is there a certain wood filler that is preferred by the DIY crowd? I am looking for something easy to apply (like drywall spackle) that will form an extremely sound surface for sanding, painting, etc. I saw Bondo (car filler) mentioned in previous posts, but that might be too thick. (It's been a LONG time since I used Bondo on anything).

My brother repairs and makes furniture and he likes to use Durham's Rock Hard. It mixes up really easily and is easy to apply and work with.

Chris

post #107 of 164 Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So no pics just yet. I need to get a couple more built. I hooked the test box up in the main living room. almost wore myself out getting to the sweet spot to the speaker and the others as I swapped them out. lol Her is my initial impression though. I picked cd's I am very familiar with. Allison Krauss, Norah Jones, Kenny Chesney. These seem much more detailed than what I am used to. They really do sound great. Piano, voices, cymbals sound so crisp and detailed. They don't do as well with bass at all. I am not sure what the switch does technically, but I can say I prefer the music setting. When I get the others done I will run them as main for a few days and tune them with the receiver and report back. My Boston CR85's are a lot warmer but lack the detail the 8330 guts do. I think someone could use them as the top part of their mains with some capable bass bins to fill out the bottom side of things.
post #108 of 164 Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by filtor1 View Post

So no pics just yet. I need to get a couple more built. I hooked the test box up in the main living room. almost wore myself out getting to the sweet spot to the speaker and the others as I swapped them out. lol Her is my initial impression though. I picked cd's I am very familiar with. Allison Krauss, Norah Jones, Kenny Chesney. These seem much more detailed than what I am used to. They really do sound great. Piano, voices, cymbals sound so crisp and detailed. They don't do as well with bass at all. I am not sure what the switch does technically, but I can say I prefer the music setting. When I get the others done I will run them as main for a few days and tune them with the receiver and report back. My Boston CR85's are a lot warmer but lack the detail the 8330 guts do. I think someone could use them as the top part of their mains with some capable bass bins to fill out the bottom side of things.

Yeh, I doubt they'd be too good for bass. I'm sure they were suppose to be crossed over around 80hz+.
post #109 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Yeh, I doubt they'd be too good for bass. I'm sure they were suppose to be crossed over around 80hz+.
80Hz is exactly where Audyssey crossed them in my set-up. I moved them down to 60Hz.

filtor1 - I completely agree with your evaluation. Detail is incredible, but bass it lacking. They make good surrounds.

One more note - they play incredibly loud!
post #110 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

1st "Craftsman" style surround complete with edge trim pieces installed. I used 1/4" thick x 1 1/2" wide solid oak and stained to match. I'll put up some better pics with the other surround and the curved SLA center once I get the trim pieces on those in the next day or two. Going turkey hunting this weekend, so it may be the first part of next week before I have the triumvirate all done. All in all, I'm very pleased with the look and the sound from these.
LL

post #111 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 05:32 PM

Wow, those look great Eddie. Looking forward to more pics! Nice job man.

Is that a JBL badge I see in the top left corner? Where did you score those?
post #112 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep, it's a JBL badge. They were attached to the grill cloth that Erich sent along with the guts. There's a pin on the back that attached to the grill cloth with some kind of clip on the back. I ditched the clip, drilled a small hole as long as the pin, but a tiny bit smaller diameter and glued it in. Gave it a really nice touch.

post #113 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Can anyone who still has their crossover out, tell me what the values are on the caps and resistors?

I'm thinking of getting a pair and seeing what some inexpensive upgrades can do to these things....
post #114 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, I did get mine hung and wired for PLIIZ. Not much height available (wides not possible), oh well. Now I have to install the new Anthem MRX300.
LL
post #115 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post

Well, I did get mine hung and wired for PLIIZ. Not much height available (wides not possible), oh well. Now I have to install the new Anthem MRX300.

What's with your puny little setup?

Quote:
MKtheater -I just saw 300 tonight, great movie. I literally wanted to spear people after the show
My speaker build PROJECT OVERKILL WWMTMSS
Photobucket link to build photos
Photobucket link to Project Overkill cut down
post #116 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrinst View Post

Can anyone who still has their crossover out, tell me what the values are on the caps and resistors?

I'm thinking of getting a pair and seeing what some inexpensive upgrades can do to these things....

I've still got an unbuilt pair sitting downstairs. Give me a buzz tomorrow and I can give you the values.

post #117 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed H View Post

Is that a JBL badge I see in the top left corner? Where did you score those?

On the first few sets of internals that I sent out, I didn't think people wanted the grills. After about 6 or so I decided to just slice off the grill cloth and throw it in the box just in case the person could use it.

If you didn't get them, I probably still have them in the garage. Just let me know. It might be a week or so before I can get them out, but I will do it.
post #118 of 164 Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 PM

Eddie, those turned out great! Nice touch with the JBL badge. I may have to add that finishing touch to mine when I get around to finishing them.

Chris

post #119 of 164 Old 04-14-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

post #120 of 164 Old 04-15-2011, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

All of these builds look great! Can anyone post the dimensions of the original JBL cab including depth?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page