I had a free 30 minutes today to do some more sanding. Do not use the Elmers product. It shrinks and cracks in the holes. After sanding there are still remains spots that are unfilled. I will def use Bondo on the others. Going to paint the ones I have done. Kinda disappointed, but learning what to and not to use.
Update: Ok, time to get things going again. I have decided through a bunch of testing with the two different styles of cabs that I will end up using the angled cabs after all. They are going to fit my available space and WAF much better. We are both over having them on tables.
Here is the reason the project had been put on hold for so long.
I do have a question about filling the tiny holes where the drivers were mounted. The last question I asked was about filling the larger holes where the drywall screws were to get rid of the rings. I decided to sure the mids and tweeters up to make them line up better. What would I use to fill in the tiny holes? I have bondo for the larger screw holes that were used during the building phase. I thought about driving screws into them and cutting the heads off with a dremmel just below the surface and the using bondo to even the surface before proceeding. Any help would be appreciated.
I measured and measured again and although I was restricted by a bad circle cut on one of the mids, I got things situated. I Have no idea if I was drinking the day I made them or not. Don't mind the crossover plug I made. (facepalm) The bottom of the enclosures where they are will all be trimmed out to hide the crossovers and wires. These were originally going to be mounted on the ceiling putting the crossover up and out of site. We didn't like the arrangement of the room so we went back to 5.1 instead of 7.1. These angled cab work out great on the side walls, but I will have to hide the crossovers.
So I located the mids and cut notches out for the tweeters so I could move them to equal footing. I filled both mid range chambers with fiberglass as I liked how the packed one sounded better.
I'm hoping to get the next few things done today. The remainder of the glass will occupy the woofer chamber above the port. Paint the back wall behind the port flat black. Route the edges of the enclosure and bondo/fill the unused holes.
So I knew I needed to make some progress so I just went ahead and bought the Minwax wood filler. So far it is leaps and bounds better than the Elmer's wood filler. I am hoping to sand and get some things on my list knocked out. Pics will follow.
Small update. One cab is sanded/filled/bondo and I started painting today.
Here is the first coat:
Here is the third:
I am not sure how many coats it will take. I hope ~5 but I have a gallon of that color, so I will go until I am happy. It has been in down in the 20's and highs of only 50 the past couple days. Tomorrow should be a great day to finish filling and sanding the second cab.
So I stopped at 4 coats for the day. I waited a couple hours and just had to see the drivers in the cab and the contrast with the color. I am very happy. I learned volumes about products and more importantly about my skill level. One thing I can say is I am going to start buying clamps for the 4pi's. Filing all those holes was a pain and I won't go through that again. I am also going to end up finishing the other two cabs in the same fashion, but not till after these are mounted and wired.
Here is a shot of the driver set in place w/o screws:
Well stick a fork in them. I will post once they are hung. No idea when that will be. Soon I hope. Here is the final product. I think I can safely set my surrounds to large on my receiver. Hope you enjoy.
I am very happy with the outcome visually. The wire I ordered from PE was nice and shiny until I unwound it and it looked like it had mold growing inside the jacket. I will wire them up as soon as the replacement wire gets here.
A quick note on how I mounted them. I tried to come up with something that would eliminate them from sticking out more than they already do. I simply lined up a few deck screws and found a stud and pulled them to the wall. I pulled pretty hard on them and they don't budge. I anyone sees an issue with this method please feel free and interject.