post #91 of 121 Old 02-01-2012, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 View Post

The ohm rating on one of the resistors is "0," for no attenuation.

This is a stupid question, but I want to be sure:
That means NO resistor, right?

Just a wire, zero resistance.

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 121 Old 02-01-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

None. Unless you're gonna do mad spl measurement.

And - you really can't do high SPLs with these capsules. That's the only real problem.

As presented here, a typical sound card input is the weak link, followed closely by the capsule. They're really limited to about 125 dB or so, maybe 130.

Should be adequate for most home subs.

post #93 of 121 Old 02-01-2012, 09:05 PM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That's Plenty. I listen @ 60-70, and will test well below 125.

Thanks, both of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

And - you really can't do high SPLs with these capsules. That's the only real problem.

As presented here, a typical sound card input is the weak link, followed closely by the capsule. They're really limited to about 125 dB or so, maybe 130.

Should be adequate for most home subs.

post #94 of 121 Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 PM

Can I use 50v caps, as long as they're 2.2uF?
post #95 of 121 Old 02-02-2012, 12:35 AM
Ile
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I chanced my Linkwitz op amp circuit to this simpler design to get better sensitivity with lower volumes. Haven't tested this amp yet, but I found out that Mikes procedure in first post have output pins inverted compared to original design. I guess it doesn't matter as long you want to use metal enclosure and grounded connectors for mic and output cable.

Quote:

Can I use 50v caps, as long as they're 2.2uF?

50V is fine and capasitance can be something between 2.2-10uF resulting about 7-4 Hz highpass.
post #96 of 121 Old 02-03-2012, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile View Post

Haven't tested this amp yet, but I found out that Mikes procedure in first post have output pins inverted compared to original design. I guess it doesn't matter as long you want to use metal enclosure and grounded connectors for mic and output cable.

I'm no E.E. but it looks like it is "straight polarity" to me. I'll see if I can have an E.E. take a peek at what I've drawn up or take a look at phasing somehow.

post #97 of 121 Old 02-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Ile
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm no E.E. but it looks like it is "straight polarity" to me. I'll see if I can have an E.E. take a peek at what I've drawn up or take a look at phasing somehow.

Your schematic is fine but procedure

"Pin 1 of J2 is the (+) signal to the sound card (tip of the RCA or miniplug), pin 2 is the ground (ring of the RCA or miniplug)."

-> output ground is not straight connected to mics ground (1&3). I guess this could cause some problems when metal enclosure is used with grounded connectors for mic and output.

This one have it correct way.

Circuit have negative supply for mic capsule and +9V is connected to "ground" (mic capsule 1&3 pins (coaxial shield) and output ground (ring of connector). This makes mic in and signal out to have common "ground".

Correct procedure should be

Pin 2 of J2 is the (+) signal to the sound card (tip of the RCA or miniplug), pin 1 is the ground (ring of the RCA or miniplug).
post #98 of 121 Old 02-06-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ile View Post

Your schematic is fine but procedure

"Pin 1 of J2 is the (+) signal to the sound card (tip of the RCA or miniplug), pin 2 is the ground (ring of the RCA or miniplug)."

-> output ground is not straight connected to mics ground (1&3). I guess this could cause some problems when metal enclosure is used with grounded connectors for mic and output.

This one have it correct way.

Circuit have negative supply for mic capsule and +9V is connected to "ground" (mic capsule 1&3 pins (coaxial shield) and output ground (ring of connector). This makes mic in and signal out to have common "ground".

Correct procedure should be

Pin 2 of J2 is the (+) signal to the sound card (tip of the RCA or miniplug), pin 1 is the ground (ring of the RCA or miniplug).

Thank you very much for the clarification. I'll try this change as soon as I can and update the instructions as appropriate.

post #99 of 121 Old 02-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Can anyone tell me if I "need" these electronics, to plug it into a PC? (the battery, resistors, etc.)

If you're familiar with PCs, most sound cards have +20dB volume boost. And I want to use one of these mics for teamspeak.
post #100 of 121 Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can anyone tell me if I "need" these electronics, to plug it into a PC? (the battery, resistors, etc.)

If you're familiar with PCs, most sound cards have +20dB volume boost. And I want to use one of these mics for teamspeak.

Not needed at all. The electronics are only needed when using a line input.

Just wire it up per the datasheet and hook the capsule up to the mic in. Works OK for voice and stuff, just not as good as using a line in for measuring. No need to even mod the capsule, they work fine. I use one set up like that to record meetings at work all the time.

post #101 of 121 Old 02-25-2012, 12:01 AM

Great! Thanks, mate.

I would consider using the electronics any way, except my $100 sound card cannot disable mic boost.

Quote:

Not needed at all. The electronics are only needed when using a line input.

Just wire it up per the datasheet and hook the capsule up to the mic in. Works OK for voice and stuff, just not as good as using a line in for measuring. No need to even mod the capsule, they work fine. I use one set up like that to record meetings at work all the time.

post #102 of 121 Old 02-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Bought 10 today.
post #103 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 07:20 PM

I only get static. Why?

I have a stereo cable. Yellow is connected to nothing. Red and white are on the mic. White is on the purple side (the one with the notch going to the frame)

What did I screw up?
post #104 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 07:41 PM

I did another one. It picks up volume if I BLOW into it, but the static is still almost as loud as that! The static is way louder than my voice...
I'm using a receiver with my PC, and I normally listen at -50 to -40dB.. I have to take it to -10dB to hear myself speaking, at all. *eek*

What's up? ^^

It's not my PC - my $5 cheapo mic works fine.
post #105 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did another one. It picks up volume if I BLOW into it, but the static is still almost as loud as that! The static is way louder than my voice...
I'm using a receiver with my PC, and I normally listen at -50 to -40dB.. I have to take it to -10dB to hear myself speaking, at all. *eek*

What's up? ^^

It's not my PC - my $5 cheapo mic works fine.

Dunno. When I hooked + from the PC to + on the Mic, and - from the PC to - on the mic, I got great results.

I soldered things carefully, and used thin wire, typically car audio RCA interconnect wire, cause I got several spools of it cheap a while back.

Sure you got the polarity right? Does the mic jack on your PC supply power to the capsule?

post #106 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM

As to Mic jack, I have no idea mate. All I can say is it's an X-Fi Titanium sound card, and my cheapo $5 mic works like it should. Basically, this mic is putting out significantly less signal than most desktop mics.

I'll get a picture in a few minutes of my soldering.

Quote:

Dunno. When I hooked + from the PC to + on the Mic, and - from the PC to - on the mic, I got great results.

I soldered things carefully, and used thin wire, typically car audio RCA interconnect wire, cause I got several spools of it cheap a while back.

Sure you got the polarity right? Does the mic jack on your PC supply power to the capsule?

post #107 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM

What's wrong?

post #108 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If white is ground and yellow is signal, you have it wired correctly. Make sure that the signal lead is not touching the mic case, as that's a ground.

I have no idea what your sound card uses as far as the mic wiring. No experience with anything Sound Blaster since the Audigy 2 days.

post #109 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 PM

Sound card uses the Same cables as every other card, including onboard. So, it's not reversed polarity.

I have no idea if white is ground.. I was hoping you did.

BTW I have both left and right (assuming) connected to positive: red and yellow. Could that be causing it?

Quote:

If white is ground and yellow is signal, you have it wired correctly. Make sure that the signal lead is not touching the mic case, as that's a ground.

I have no idea what your sound card uses as far as the mic wiring. No experience with anything Sound Blaster since the Audigy 2 days.

post #110 of 121 Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 PM

Got it mate!

Thanks so much. Going to see how my new mic sounds compared to the cheapo.

http://techtalk.parts-express.com/sh...=1#post1815303

Quote:

post #111 of 121 Old 03-02-2012, 12:55 AM

My correct one, if anyone is curious:

post #112 of 121 Old 04-01-2012, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 25
so my first attempt at one of these mic's failed. Gonna try to make another one today
post #113 of 121 Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 PM

Any chance anyone has any spare ones laying around I can buy? I know nothing about soldering and being stationed overseas I forsee getting parts on the cheap to be difficult.

Send me a PM if you have one, thanks.
post #114 of 121 Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Wondering if these parts are ok for the mic

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...04015877556817

post #115 of 121 Old 04-26-2012, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I got a sensitivity problem with the mic I just built.

I plug it into the line in and it barely picks up anything at all. I have to tap on the capsule to hear it. When I plug it into the mic port it sounds ok but still a little low. My line-in levels are maxed out so I can't figure it out. Tried it on my behringer uca202 and desktop sound card. Here is a layout I made, is this correct?

Attachment 244665

Black lines are jumper wires.

I tried 3 different capsules and its still the same... My radioshack meter works fine.

Edit: I tried to rewire something and now I get nothing at all. I'm just going to redo everything and air wire it.
LL

post #116 of 121 Old 04-26-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador View Post

I got a sensitivity problem with the mic I just built.

I plug it into the line in and it barely picks up anything at all. I have to tap on the capsule to hear it. When I plug it into the mic port it sounds ok but still a little low. My line-in levels are maxed out so I can't figure it out. Tried it on my behringer uca202 and desktop sound card. Here is a layout I made, is this correct?

Attachment 244665

Black lines are jumper wires.

I tried 3 different capsules and its still the same... My radioshack meter works fine.

Edit: I tried to rewire something and now I get nothing at all. I'm just going to redo everything and air wire it.

Are you listening to the correct channel? This is a monaural mic, not stereo.

Are the capsules modded per Linkwitz's instructions?

I built two more last night, as well as 5 more wands, all worked as they were supposed to.

post #117 of 121 Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I'm sure its on the correct channel. I did do the capsule mod and checked with my multimeter. 1 and 3 is bridged. This is my first time building something from a schematic so there might be an error somewhere... which is why I'm going to air wire it, I bought extra parts anyways. How easy is it to damage the capsule? I didn't leave the iron on there for more than 3 seconds. What if I wired something wrong, will it damage the Mic.

Edit: It looks like its working fine and measures almost exactly as my spl meter. Problem is the sensitivity is still low... The spl meter is at least 20db higher than the mic at the same volume. I also got this weird 10hz boost showing in both the spl meter and mic, may be a problem with my setup. I need to try another computer.

post #118 of 121 Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is my mic compared to the radioshack meter.
Attachment 244944

I have 2 other capsules I want to try and see how they compare.
LL

post #119 of 121 Old 09-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Bumping for interest...
post #120 of 121 Old 09-23-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
What mic do you use for measuring subs these days ?
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page