Subwoofer shootout 301: How to have a sub shootout @ your home - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 03-29-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 296
I’m looking for advice on how to hold a subwoofer shootout, and figure what better place to ask than the avs DIY gurus.

Background:
Nick G and I are hosting a home theatre meet Saturday May 14th in SE Michigan.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1322007
(HEMI simply means – Home theatre Enthusiast of MIchigan)
Looks like we’ll have 8 or more people, I can handle 13-15 comfortably in my set-up.

Here is our agenda, as you can see the grand finale item is a ….. Subwoofer shootout and demo disc playback session:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGiovas View Post

Spring HEMI Meet
Hartland, MI
(US23/M59 area)
Saturday, May 14th
5pm - 8pm

Agenda:
  1. Remote Controls
    1. Using your Ipod Touch/Ipad as a remote
    2. Universal/Programmable remote technologies
  2. Acoustic Treatments Discussion (feel free to bring photos, samples, etc.)
  3. Show the group 2-3 photos of your Home Theatre for general discussion/feedback of any HT topics (bring jpeg files on USB stick)
  4. Sub Showdown!!!! (with REW5 running for freq charts)
  5. Demo Disc playback with IB sub + sub showdown winner - how many db's can we get! (2011 CES DTS disc and avs "another demo disc" by scubasteve)

If you would like to participate in the Sub Showdown, please let us know in advance so that we can make sure we can accomodate your setup at the meet. This is a friendly, fun competition, so please bring a sub regardless of type/size. There will be fun awards for those who participate.

Besides my 4 x AE-IB15 line array IB sub, we will have 3-4 other subs; SVS PC-12, M&K MX-350 , Atlantic Technology Model 352 PBM, list is growing.

I'm decent at REW5 and have a Behringer Mic8000.

I’ve read some of the Subwoofer shootouts here and want to pick your brains on how to prepare for the subwoofer shootout portion, things to think about, etc.
Basically Things you did right, things you did wrong and would change for the next one, your Lessons Learned.

Examples:
-set up time
-putting each sub in same position? (The IB sub position is RH front wall, that could work for all as simple apples-apples)
-A multi sub placement exercise to show advantages of multi sub placement for enhanced flat response in all seat postitions /etc
-what constitutes a real Subwoofer shootout?

-subjective voting via audio clips reviewed (audio clip suggestions welcomed)
-objective data taken/shared

I appreciate your suggestions gang.
Any of you are welcome to join also, please post in the meet thread if you'd like to join, as Nick is using that to organize/announce stuff.
Link >>http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1322007
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page