I have been enjoying my 8" tapped horn up to this point as seen in this thread. While it has great output for an 8" sub it does not play terribly low. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1240371
Lately I've been looking for a bit more output and lower frequencies to enjoy in my living room. I also had an Infinity Perfect 12VQ sub sitting around from my car audio days. I decided to put it to work.
Having already built several of Bill Fitzmaurice's designs such as the TLAH, Tuba 30, THT, and AutoTuba I have really enjoyed the sound of a properly designed offset horn sub.
I chose to build an offset horn and make it as slim and tall as possible to minimize floor space. The requirements were that I needed output down to about 18Hz in as little floor space as possible. I built it as tall as possible to fit in my room with 7'4" ceilings. The external dimensions of the enclosure being constructed of 1/2" Arauco ply are 16x16x84.
Here is the output with 2.83V of input.
And the output at 44.72V or 500W.
Cone Excursion at 500W. The excursion can easily be controlled with a subsonic filter as many plate amps use. Keep in mind that this sub has an Xmax of 16.75mm but this is not yet Xlim.
Schematic-Less than 300 liters!!
I drew up the sub using AutoCAD. Here is a jpg of the dimensions. If anyone is interested I can send out a much better pdf of the dimensions.
Here is the cutlist. It uses less than 2 sheets of the aforementioned 1/2" Arauco ply. As a side benefit it was on sale at my local Menards for $21 a sheet.
Here are a few pics of the construction stages.
Of course I had to bring it in my house and try it out before finishing it. For reference that is a 50" Samsung plasma and my Mini Ewave speakers in this pic.
Currently I am powering it with a Crown XTI2000 I had sitting around. I set the limiter to -3db and a high pass at 20Hz. This will provide around 400W of power and protect the driver from overexcursion.
After listening to it for a couple of days I am extremely happy with the build. So far it really only cost me $50 for the wood and PL to assemble the enclosure. The next step will be to take some measurements and then to finish the enclosure and apply Duratex. I may even paint it the same color as the walls to help it "blend" in.