Forum Jump: 
post #4801 of 4812 Unread 12-16-2014, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Resistors are needed to drop the noise level further.
So they are optional?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4812 Unread 12-16-2014, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattykidd View Post
So they are optional?
Not if you want it quiet
post #4803 of 4812 Unread 12-16-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
Not if you want it quiet
So it just goes inline on positive ? Side going to the 60mm fans ?
post #4804 of 4812 Unread 12-16-2014, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 580
post #4805 of 4812 Unread 12-16-2014, 10:31 PM

Thanks...
post #4806 of 4812 Unread 12-17-2014, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anything less than a fully automated system for testing this amps is not very advisable. If I ever get one of these I could do a automated unloaded test with pretty graphs on a AP system. I still lack a proper reactive load for load testing such as the AudioGraph Power Cube. You guys are getting me worried about setting up your own testing scheme. Please be careful.
post #4807 of 4812 Unread 12-17-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Does anyone have a service manual for the FP+10000Q?
post #4808 of 4812 Unread Yesterday, 02:51 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarnoise View Post
I bought a dead FP14000 that was power cycling. After about 50 hours of playing with it and having a friend with a scope check it out the following post solved this particular problem for my amp. Has been working well for several months.

buy one of these:
http://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/P...WrX8IHli/VDQ==

check out post #3488 or #3492 and #3908 . I went with a single turn trimmer as it fit the spot correctly. There is not much room around the CAPs to fit a multi-turn variable resistor. The solder joints on these amps is not always the best....

I dialed the single turn variable resistor to 2500 ohm total resistance. Worked great after that. Also check the other resistors in the general area for proper soldering to the board.

Good luck.

Attached is a graphic showing the variable resistor installation location:
Great thanks so much for the info!

I have emailed Johnson and he has replied with the following:

"please add one 510 ohms or 1K ohms series resistor as attached picture, till the output voltage is approx 150V DC, then solve this problem"

With the same picture that you included in your post. However in the blue circle is says to place either 1k resistor or 510, which was confusing to me. So I asked for further clarification as to which type of resistor I should use and he replied with the following:

"You could purchase ten pieces 510 ohms series resistor and ten pieces 1 K ohms series resistors together, which is very cheap. Then try to add as attached, and till the output voltage is approx 150V."

Which confuses me even further =/

Does he mean to continue adding them across the solder points in the blue circle? Or to add them along the points marked in red?

If it is just to add them across the blue circle then I will use a single turn trimmer as you have described if that is the case.

Also did you test the output voltage was approx 150V after you installed the resistor set to 2.5k? Or did it just work so you left it alone?

Thanks again =)
post #4809 of 4812 Unread Yesterday, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimslater View Post
Does anyone have a service manual for the FP+10000Q?
I have the owners manual if thats what your talking about. And question for you. Is the FP10000Q 4ohm bridgable like sansway website says at 5000x2 @4ohm . Ann from sansway said cant bridge to 4 or 2ohm. The manual doesnt even have 4ohm bridge on it just the 8ohm bridge. If she is right and the website plus all the listings on aliexpress are wrong then. Maybe she doesnt understand what I was saying but I tried twice now and gave up. Would like to know or ill just get the fp14k then.

Reason I was going to get FP10000Q was run stereo for 2100watts and use 2 channels for my subwoofers at stereo then when I get a bigger breaker I would bridge it for the 5000x2. Instead of the 4400x2 @ 4ohms stereo and def would have anything to take the bridge power
post #4810 of 4812 Unread Yesterday, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeys View Post
Great thanks so much for the info!

I have emailed Johnson and he has replied with the following:

"please add one 510 ohms or 1K ohms series resistor as attached picture, till the output voltage is approx 150V DC, then solve this problem"

With the same picture that you included in your post. However in the blue circle is says to place either 1k resistor or 510, which was confusing to me. So I asked for further clarification as to which type of resistor I should use and he replied with the following:

"You could purchase ten pieces 510 ohms series resistor and ten pieces 1 K ohms series resistors together, which is very cheap. Then try to add as attached, and till the output voltage is approx 150V."

Which confuses me even further =/

Does he mean to continue adding them across the solder points in the blue circle? Or to add them along the points marked in red?

If it is just to add them across the blue circle then I will use a single turn trimmer as you have described if that is the case.

Also did you test the output voltage was approx 150V after you installed the resistor set to 2.5k? Or did it just work so you left it alone?

Thanks again =)
If I remember correctly mine had two 1,000 ohm resistors like in the image at that location. I replaced those with a single turn trimmer. I did the old trial and error method until the amp was stable and stopped power cycling. At 2500 ohms all was well. The location needs more than 2000 ohms to work properly.

I also found another resistor location close by where it appeared that the solder joint was rather "thin" so I added a bit more solder. I don't know if that helped though...

I suggest the variable resistor as you can adjust that until the amp is stable rather than to try and fit more resistors in that tight location.

Good luck.
post #4811 of 4812 Unread Yesterday, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellarnoise View Post
If I remember correctly mine had two 1,000 ohm resistors like in the image at that location. I replaced those with a single turn trimmer. I did the old trial and error method until the amp was stable and stopped power cycling. At 2500 ohms all was well. The location needs more than 2000 ohms to work properly.

I also found another resistor location close by where it appeared that the solder joint was rather "thin" so I added a bit more solder. I don't know if that helped though...

I suggest the variable resistor as you can adjust that until the amp is stable rather than to try and fit more resistors in that tight location.

Good luck.

I fixed my 14k with the trimmer too, info is earlier in the thread. As a side note mine started cycling again recently. A quick adjustment to the trimmer and it was back in action.
post #4812 of 4812 Unread Today, 02:01 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubalis2 View Post
I fixed my 14k with the trimmer too, info is earlier in the thread. As a side note mine started cycling again recently. A quick adjustment to the trimmer and it was back in action.
Good to know that this is a common issue with a fairly simple fix =)

Ordered my variable resistor so just waiting on deliver of that and we should be back in action! Will report here once I've had a crack at it.

So does anyone know what is likely to be happening at the root of this issue?

It sounds like something along the lines of the collective resistance of the circuit in question is changing over time (reducing from the sounds of it) which is eventually resulting in the voltage protection circuitry being activated and causing the cycling.

Just guessing here, but possibly due to the use of inferior components which do not hold as stable a resistance over time and heavy use as a proper LG might. Or, perhaps they have similar problems in the same area? Would be interesting to know if power cycling is a common issue with the non-cloned versions of these amps =P
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Lab Gruppen Fp 14000 , Sanway Fp 10000q
Gear in this thread - 10000q by PriceGrabber.com