Lab Gruppen FP14000 clone amplifiers - Page 167 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #4981 of 4997 Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
In the same price range? Emotiva comes to mind first.
I just want one amp that does it all, if possible. And that seems to be FP10k. I can have my 2 way mains on one amp, and that amp will be able to run anything I throw at it in the future.
ronny31 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4982 of 4997 Old 03-28-2015, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny31 View Post
I just want one amp that does it all, if possible. And that seems to be FP10k. I can have my 2 way mains on one amp, and that amp will be able to run anything I throw at it in the future.
*shrug* I still think this is a mistake. These amps are great for subs, but there are tradeoffs. No point buying one of these for mains in a non commercial environment imo.
notnyt is online now  
post #4983 of 4997 Old 03-28-2015, 09:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
*shrug* I still think this is a mistake. These amps are great for subs, but there are tradeoffs. No point buying one of these for mains in a non commercial environment imo.
I've got a mixer and a crossover thus far, still need to find a used 2x31 EQ, assorted cables, speaker elements, handles, paint, vents, sandpaper, etc. By the time I actually buy a sanway amp I think I have bought an amp at a great deal for horns so I can have LF and MF pair on FP10k and horns on something else. But if I haven't found a great deal on horn amp by the time I buy one then I'll just have horns on the FP10k for a while. Could buy it all right now if I wanted to buy everything at whatever the prices happens to be now, but if I wait for deals I can save many hours of labor worth of money. Which is as good as making more money.
ronny31 is offline  
post #4984 of 4997 Old 03-28-2015, 09:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Alright thanks, you guys cleared my ideas out pretty well.

About the powersoft amps: if I had the money I wouldn't have bought a Sanway amp, but then I wouldn't have learned the stuff you people are kind of teaching me. I prefer tricky stuff when learning comes into play.

I will test the amp and let you guys know if it blows up.
Dubcore is offline  
post #4985 of 4997 Old Today, 11:31 AM
Senior Member
 
GizzeGutten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Writing this in once concise post to make it stand on its own. Question towards the end for those who feel inclined.

Got two FP14k's, one home theater version which has temperature controlled fans that turns on and off and one that doesn't. Long story short the home theater version popped a short while after I had bought it and two boards were broken (one which might have been my own fault after messing up a measurement). I did not buy this amplifier from Sanway directly, but from someone who bought it from them a month or so earlier.

After great assistance from Mr Johnson we agreed that two new amplifier boards would be the best solution, and a few days later I received the boards and installed them.

I suspected that there could have been something malfunctioning with the fan thermostat control so I got instructions on how to disable it as the amp is outside of the room and noise is not a problem.

Today I finished it up and turned it on and it plays bass. Yay!!

After running both amplifiers with equal loads (4xLMSU, one on each channel of the two amps), equal settings, input signal and air flow access for 5 minutes under very mild use I did a temperature IR reading at the exhaust: The fixed amplifier reads 26 degrees Celsius while the other one read 19 degrees Celsius (77/66.2 F) at the same location.

1) I can't see why they have such a big variance in temperature when they have the exact same working conditions and are now wondering if this is normal?

2) Also is it safe to pop the top lid off and turn the amplifier on to make sure all fans are moving without any load and just for 10-15 seconds?

3) What kind of temperatures do you guys have at the exhaust? (left side)

I've also written Sanway asking if the home theater version has slower fans than the continually running one because there seems to be a difference in pitch from the noise coming from them. Also the air flow coming out of the fixed amp seems a little weaker.

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Midbass modules: 4x DIY JBL 2226
Sub: 4x DIY LMS Ultra 5400
GizzeGutten is online now  
post #4986 of 4997 Old Today, 12:27 PM
Member
 
gfbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hey guys is $1350 a good price for a used pair?
gfbl is offline  
post #4987 of 4997 Old Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 128
pair of ?
sounds painful either way.
blah450 is offline  
post #4988 of 4997 Old Today, 12:52 PM
Member
 
Jason kiDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150331-WA0009.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	640081  
Fatshaft and GizzeGutten like this.
Jason kiDD is online now  
post #4989 of 4997 Old Today, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
GizzeGutten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
omfg what is that?

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Midbass modules: 4x DIY JBL 2226
Sub: 4x DIY LMS Ultra 5400
GizzeGutten is online now  
post #4990 of 4997 Old Today, 01:21 PM
Member
 
gfbl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by blah450 View Post
pair of ?
sounds painful either way.
fp 14000 clones
gfbl is offline  
post #4991 of 4997 Old Today, 01:27 PM
Senior Member
 
GizzeGutten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34


wow!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HTB1PyePGFXXXXamapXXq6xXFXXXc.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	640113  

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Midbass modules: 4x DIY JBL 2226
Sub: 4x DIY LMS Ultra 5400
GizzeGutten is online now  
post #4992 of 4997 Old Today, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
blah450's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Oh my, oh my. Price?
Next candidate for testing??????...not too far from Not....less than the length of the Island.
blah450 is offline  
post #4993 of 4997 Old Today, 02:42 PM
Member
 
gorilla_cooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I spoke with Johnson at Sanway and I asked if they could install some custom upgrades into the amp. He said yes. Since I've read on this thread that after repair they would work great, I wanted to know what repairs were done so that I can have them replace the components before sending it to me so I won't have to have it repaired. I read that the fuses and a couple resistors fail. I also read about the fan mod. Can anyone provide specifics? Would replacing the capacitors with Nichicon/Panasonic capacitors on the PSU be worthwhile?

I'm planning on buying the FP2200. My elemental designs amplifier finally burned out on me 2 weeks ago and I bought a Crown XTI2002 as a replacement then came upon this thread. My subwoofer is a Elemental Designs 19OV2 DIY kit, 18" subwoofer in a vented cabinet. With just 500 watts it was very loud and only had it at 1/10th of the volume and it easily filled my 20x18 ft room. I was planning on running this with a miniDSP.

Last edited by gorilla_cooch; Today at 02:54 PM.
gorilla_cooch is offline  
post #4994 of 4997 Old Today, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Jason kiDD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: NYC
Posts: 142
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I will have more pics and such by the weekend. Serious power but alas on 110v it will be limited to what the power supplies can draw.. Enjoy the teaser pic..
Jason kiDD is online now  
post #4995 of 4997 Old Today, 03:24 PM
Senior Member
 
GizzeGutten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason kiDD View Post
I will have more pics and such by the weekend. Serious power but alas on 110v it will be limited to what the power supplies can draw.. Enjoy the teaser pic..
Looked it up on alibaba and seems to be a real power monster with dual power supplies.

If you don't mind me asking; how much was it and did you get it from Sanway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorilla_cooch View Post
I'm planning on buying the FP2200. My elemental designs amplifier finally burned out on me 2 weeks ago and I bought a Crown XTI2002 as a replacement then came upon this thread. My subwoofer is a Elemental Designs 19OV2 DIY kit, 18" subwoofer in a vented cabinet. With just 500 watts it was very loud and only had it at 1/10th of the volume and it easily filled my 20x18 ft room. I was planning on running this with a miniDSP.
Why not get a more powerful model for added flexibility? The price is not that much higher for the more powerful versions.

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Midbass modules: 4x DIY JBL 2226
Sub: 4x DIY LMS Ultra 5400
GizzeGutten is online now  
post #4996 of 4997 Unread Today, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
notnyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 5,384
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked: 798
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizzeGutten View Post
Writing this in once concise post to make it stand on its own. Question towards the end for those who feel inclined.

Got two FP14k's, one home theater version which has temperature controlled fans that turns on and off and one that doesn't. Long story short the home theater version popped a short while after I had bought it and two boards were broken (one which might have been my own fault after messing up a measurement). I did not buy this amplifier from Sanway directly, but from someone who bought it from them a month or so earlier.

After great assistance from Mr Johnson we agreed that two new amplifier boards would be the best solution, and a few days later I received the boards and installed them.

I suspected that there could have been something malfunctioning with the fan thermostat control so I got instructions on how to disable it as the amp is outside of the room and noise is not a problem.

Today I finished it up and turned it on and it plays bass. Yay!!

After running both amplifiers with equal loads (4xLMSU, one on each channel of the two amps), equal settings, input signal and air flow access for 5 minutes under very mild use I did a temperature IR reading at the exhaust: The fixed amplifier reads 26 degrees Celsius while the other one read 19 degrees Celsius (77/66.2 F) at the same location.

1) I can't see why they have such a big variance in temperature when they have the exact same working conditions and are now wondering if this is normal?

2) Also is it safe to pop the top lid off and turn the amplifier on to make sure all fans are moving without any load and just for 10-15 seconds?

3) What kind of temperatures do you guys have at the exhaust? (left side)

I've also written Sanway asking if the home theater version has slower fans than the continually running one because there seems to be a difference in pitch from the noise coming from them. Also the air flow coming out of the fixed amp seems a little weaker.
IIRC, the "home theater" version came with slower fans.
notnyt is online now  
post #4997 of 4997 Unread Today, 04:56 PM
Senior Member
 
GizzeGutten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 225
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post
IIRC, the "home theater" version came with slower fans.
Thanks notnyt, popped the lid open and started it, all four fans were moving. Put it back in place and started using it and are monitoring the temperature every 15/30 minutes with moderate use. It seems to be stable so you're probably right.

When I've been using it for a couple of weeks I'll get one more FP14000 or a FP10000Q/FP20000Q for my midbass modules. Can't wait to get three of these puppies all stacked up in the rack. They look ooooh so good!!

DAC/Preamp: miniDSP 4x10 HD
Speakers: JBL 4343B, JBL 4430 and JBL 120Ti
Amplifiers: Emotiva XPR-1, Denon POA 1500, QSC GX5 and Sanway's LabGruppen FP14000 clone
Midbass modules: 4x DIY JBL 2226
Sub: 4x DIY LMS Ultra 5400
GizzeGutten is online now  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Tags
Lab Gruppen Fp 14000 , Sanway Fp 10000q
Gear in this thread - 10000q by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off