TC Sounds Custom Pro 18" Driver (Ferrite Magnet) with Dual 18" VMP Passive Radiators - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am proud to say I have started the process to build my dream sub! Here are the preliminary specs...

TC Sounds Custom Pro 18" Driver (Ferrite Magnet)
Dual TC Sounds 18" VMP Passive Radiators each with 2200 grams of mass
9.042 Cubic Foot Box tuned to 16.03Hz (25x25x25 Internal Dimensions, double thick 1.5" baffles for the driver and passives)

I was originally planning on using a Pro 5100 driver and doing a 7 cubic foot box, but came across a DEAL on 2 Custom subs, so I jumped on it. I also bumped the box to 9 cubic feet. The short of it is that the subs are a Pro 5100 top assembly with a Ferrite Motor instead of Neodymium.

Attached are the WinISD files. I have one with less moving mass on the passives... Still trying to decide, but that is the beauty I can play with it! These were done with the Pro 5100 driver but I will be updating these files with the specs of the Custom subs soon.

Let me know what you guys think of my plan and any insight would be great.

Don

TC Sounds Pro 5100 with Dual TC Sounds 18 VMP - 7 Cubic Feet.zip 2.4677734375k . file
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

I just got the passives last night! Very excited. Going to pick up the drivers Sunday!

Don
post #3 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Are you going to end up building two of them?

The previous post may contain spoilers, which will make the post less aerodynamic and increase handling at high speeds.
post #4 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I will, eventually. Right now, I will just hold onto the second driver and in a few months or so, I will build the second one.

Don
post #5 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Where did you run across ferrite 5100s?
post #6 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

They were actually hand built by Thilo Stompler himself! He built them custom for Michael Singer, he is a fairly well know car audio enthusiast and is famous for his band pass designs. These were in his station wagon and he has promised me they were never bottomed out, over heated, or anything overly stressful on the drivers! These will bring down the house when they are done.

Don
post #7 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I am looking forward to following this. This is a build I would like to do myself.

What are you going to power them with?

T6

Clearwave 4TSE and 4CC build thread

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

I will be powering them with a Crown CE4000, 1800 watts per speaker.

Don
post #9 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the enclosure design It is very heavily braced and has dual speakons so I can daisy chain the 2 subs later if I want to, or I can just run a dedicated wire to each, at least with 2, I have the option.

Don
LL
LL
LL
post #10 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
The braces are pretty, but at subwoofer freq will give no performance advantage over simple crossbracing.

Noah
post #11 of 33 Old 05-12-2011, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Agreed the braces are "pretty" but they they do tie all 4 panels together and support both the woofer and the passive very well. There should be zero flex and should help cut down on resonance. Granted, good cross bracing accomplishes this too, but hey, what's wrong with saving some weight and looking good while you're at it!

Don
post #12 of 33 Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Time for more pics. These aren't much better, but they are mine Thats a 2 Liter!!!! Please excuse the mess We are getting ready to finish half of our basement and things kind of exploded!

Don
post #13 of 33 Old 05-16-2011, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

I just free aired them to make sure everything was working properly. They worked well I can't wait to get these things in a box with the passives and really let them shine! The nice thing is that they are dual 1 ohm coils so it presents a 2 ohm load to the CE4000 which gets me 1800 watts per channel on a 220v circuit :yikes: I will be pushing the CE4000 about as hard as it will go!

Don
post #14 of 33 Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Tower of TC Sounds! These are all 4 passives for the home theater subs, and the LMS Ultra 5400 I accidentally ordered. I will be using it in a music sub for my 2 channel system. The 2 custom drivers are sitting assembled in the basement. My youngest is almost as excited as I am! He knows when I am getting ready to build something and he is always right next to me with a screwdriver!

Don
post #15 of 33 Old 05-19-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
"accidentally" ordered... what the. do you have a wife that reads the forum??

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #16 of 33 Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

I really did accidentally order it It was in my cart when I ordered the other 2 passives and I made the purchase and didn't realize it until it was too late. So I decided to build a sealed enclosure for my music system It just seemed like a better idea then sending it back on my dime.

Don
post #17 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Questions on cabinet construction. I would like to avoid screws as I would like to stain these in the future. Is there a particular type of wood glue I should use? I will be getting plenty of clamps to make sure things are glued up tight, but I wanted to ask questions here to avoid any gotchas. This is the first one of these I have built Also, anyone who has mounted the LMS Ultra Drivers, or even the Pro 5100, is there a particular wood screw I should use, or should I get hurricane nuts or something like them?

Don
post #18 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Around here, you'll most likely get recommended PL Premium since it expands to fill gaps. Also, it's incredibly strong. If you PL a pair of 2x4's together and try to break them apart, you will end up splitting one of the 2x4s before the glue bond breaks.

post #19 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

Around here, you'll most likely get recommended PL Premium since it expands to fill gaps. Also, it's incredibly strong. If you PL a pair of 2x4's together and try to break them apart, you will end up splitting one of the 2x4s before the glue bond breaks.

PL is very, very messy and to me a waste unless someone is building a horn design and needs the internal gaps filled.

Ported or Sealed subs have been built 1000 times over with Titlebound II. Easy to use, easy to clean up. No gaps since most people should be sealing the box anyway.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #20 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I had not planned on sealing the box from the inside. I suppose I could if I had too. The PL Premium, what is messy about it? How hard is it to work with? I plan on staining these boxes later, so would the PL stain the wood or cause any problems aesthetically? I have used the Titebond previously, and cleanup isn't too bad. How is cleanup with the PL Premium?

Thanks!

Don
post #21 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post

I really did accidentally order it It was in my cart when I ordered the other 2 passives and I made the purchase and didn't realize it until it was too late. So I decided to build a sealed enclosure for my music system It just seemed like a better idea then sending it back on my dime.

Don

i've done that once or twice.

JoshK on most other audio forums
post #22 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Use the screws that come with the TC's. They rock.

post #23 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Well... 2 of the drivers I have I purchased used and I did not get screws. Is there a place I can buy them?

Thanks!

Don
post #24 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 07:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmartinpc View Post

I had not planned on sealing the box from the inside. I suppose I could if I had too. The PL Premium, what is messy about it? How hard is it to work with? I plan on staining these boxes later, so would the PL stain the wood or cause any problems aesthetically? I have used the Titebond previously, and cleanup isn't too bad. How is cleanup with the PL Premium?

Thanks!

Don

Wear gloves, its just a bitch to get off.

I do not see a real reason to use it myself. I have built 20 boxes now all done with the common Titlebound II

What wood are you using? Will you veneer and stain or just go with a raw wood + stain?

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #25 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

Wear gloves, its just a bitch to get off.

I do not see a real reason to use it myself. I have built 20 boxes now all done with the common Titlebound II

What wood are you using? Will you veneer and stain or just go with a raw wood + stain?

Sounds like Titebond is the way to go. I am using 13 Ply Baltic Birch. It is pretty high grade stuff... I had planned on just staining it directly...

Don
post #26 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

I should also mention that all of the pieces for this project are being cut on a CNC router, so the edges should be pretty straight

Don
post #27 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 153
I agree that Titlebound is the way to go here.

The PL is good where you have blind internal partitions like horns.

Also it's thicker and may leave a visible bond line unless you use dozens of clamps, on top of which it doesn't sand well.

Noah
post #28 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

OK I found the TC Sounds screws on Parts Express and ordered several sets. I am going into 13 ply Baltic Birch, do I need to pre drill pilot holes? I wasn't sure with this large and powerful of driver if it would affect their holding power...

Thanks again for answering all my crazy questions!

Don
post #29 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Pre drill with a small 1/16th bit or whatever size is quite a bit smaller than the body of the screw. It helps out with screwing them in the first time a lot. Holding power will be fine provided you don't drop the sub down a flight of steps. If you do plan on dropping it down steps we will need to come up with something more robust like a floating motor damper system and isolated baffle mounting, 1/2" steel enclosure walls etc.

post #30 of 33 Old 05-20-2011, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post

Pre drill with a small 1/16th bit or whatever size is quite a bit smaller than the body of the screw. It helps out with screwing them in the first time a lot. Holding power will be fine provided you don't drop the sub down a flight of steps. If you do plan on dropping it down steps we will need to come up with something more robust like a floating motor damper system and isolated baffle mounting, 1/2" steel enclosure walls etc.

Hmmm.... dropping them down the stairs was on my short list, but now I might have to rethink that

Thanks for the info. I just got a call back from TC Sounds, and they are sending me out some screws for free!

The cabinet was going to be ready this weekend for pickup, but it has now been bumped to next weekend I guess I will just have to be content with building the sealed sub this weekend and the ported subs next weekend....

Don
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page