18" Maelstrom no longer available? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 129 Old 05-31-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, i was just curious if anyone knew if these subs were still purchasable. I checked diycable and they're only showing the shiva and the tempest subs.

Klipsch RF-62 L/R, RC-62 C, Energy C-100 SL/SR, HSU VTF-15H, Marantz SR5003.

"All speakers sound good when you're on a coke binge in the middle of an orgy." - Heebdawg16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 129 Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked: 1046
he got a bad batch from the supplier...not his fault and he took a big hit making folks wholed on the retail side. things are at work in the background. sit tight.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 129 Old 05-31-2011, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

No, they are not, and for what its worth, neither are the 21" units.

I'm a long time customer of Kevin's, and it pains me to hear of the problems he's had with his build house...
post #4 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04FLHRCI View Post

No, they are not, and for what its worth, neither are the 21" units.

I'm a long time customer of Kevin's, and it pains me to hear of the problems he's had with his build house...

Yes, it's really sad, I feel badly for him. Unless he partners with someone or sells the design to someone else I think we may have seen the end, but I hope not.

Builds: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Dual Opposed MFW's x 2, Statements, 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 x 5. 
post #5 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It was saying available soon in July a long time ago, but then completely removed from the site

KW, failed super hero

post #6 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
In order to put to rest any rumors, it is true... the Maelstrom is not likely to come back due to the problems I've had with the vendor.

They basically changed something on the shorting ring installation between production runs. It is either the actual dims of the ring or the adhesive but the end result was massive failures. They have failed to cover the mistake leaving me out in the cold because they already have my money. Their lame excuse has been that I approved the sample. Of course the sample I approved was from three production runs ago when they actually made them correctly.

Long story short.... I'm struggling to just get the smaller drivers back into inventory and I just don't have the resources to rescue the Maelstrom.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #7 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Kevin,

That's really sad to hear that. I presume the 21 malx is still ok to purchase. Will you be looking to bring out an alternative 18" driver at all. The malx was pretty much the beast on the street all bar the lms driver and its such a shame. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

cheers

Graham
post #8 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Kevin,

That's really sad to hear that. I presume the 21 malx is still ok to purchase. Will you be looking to bring out an alternative 18" driver at all. The malx was pretty much the beast on the street all bar the lms driver and its such a shame. I hope it all works out for you in the end.

cheers

Graham

No... neither the 18" nor the 21" will survive this. I just don't have the money to bring another to market. I'm licking my wounds over this event and to be honest, my risk tolerance has been greatly curtailed. I have five kids, a dog and wife depending on me so I cannot continue to juggle this type of risk.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #9 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
This really sucks! I love my sealed sub w/ the 18" Mal-X, was hoing to add another in a few years.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #10 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitewhite View Post

It was saying available soon in July a long time ago, but then completely removed from the site

please stop reposting my picture everywhere.

post #11 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Awe this really sucks. The maelx was the best bang for the buck low fs high max subwoofer.

It really sucks kevin I hope it works out for you

post #12 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 02:12 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I don't know what Not's issue is,.... but damn, I like that pic,...but until now,..it was entirely benign. However, in the current context of this thread, and considering Kevin's plight, the pic as a visual metaphor cuts really deep.

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #13 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

I don't know what Not's issue is,.... but damn, I like that pic,...but until now,..it was entirely benign. However, in the current context of this thread, and considering Kevin's plight, the pic as a visual metaphor cuts really deep.

It's inappropriate here. He also uses it as an avatar on other forums.

post #14 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Kevin is one of the good guys in the business. I really hate it when the small guy gets shafted by sloppy workmanship out of their control.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #15 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

I think it's insensitive to Kevin's current situation as the man's livelihood is at stake here; come on guys, at the end of the day he has a family to provide for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt View Post

It's inappropriate here. He also uses it as an avatar on other forums.

post #16 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Simply put, it's your pic and as such since you requested, I will stop.

I'll give a small insert similar to a lengthy one I gave a mod on aonther forum.

The Maelstrom-X is one of the best drivers ever built. There are so many people that sit around every day wishing they could have just one. So many people settle for less and make the best with what they have. I myself wanted to get some but couldnt afford to. So I got what I could.

Yet this guy was able to get eight of them. Yet one little thing went wrong, like a cheap little O-ring on the Challenger, and nhow eight of these amazing things so many people would do anything for... lay next to a garbage can. They are stacked so that you can see there is no reguard for protecting them. The subs we all have we take so much care not to set anything on them that could dent or puncture them, yet they are stacked stretching eachother out and denting eachother in.

Every time I saw that photo I was moved. I felt sick to my stomach. i felt ill. I felt a lot of emotion. From a normal photograph of a few pieces of steel and paper. It is a strong photo. 2 years from now threads will still be popping up " Will Maesltrom-Xs be available again?"

just my impression

KW, failed super hero

post #17 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 03:56 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I like the pic, 'cause,..just as K said, it elicits reaction.

Yes, it's a strong photo to us, someone outside of this community couldn't care less. It is inappropriate here, as I said. But, it's merely a photo. Yes, as a stretch, I say it's a metaphor for Kevin's plight. I've never done business with Kevin that I know of, but if he's half as solid as many here claim, he can handle a pic of his drivers being tossed. Is it appropriate, prolly not,..but it's ok. I do recall Kevin instructing that they were entirely useless iirc.

Now, the real issue is notnyt politely asking K not to use them,..that's between them.

post #18 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not really an issue, I just got tired of seeing it reposted all over the place. I took the picture to show Kevin that I trashed them like he requested. Seeing it posted here irked me because 1) its inappropriate and 2) it's my picture.

Anyway, no hard feelings or anything. Hopefully Kevin can recover from the bad vendor issues.

post #19 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

for those of you in the market for any of Kevin (DIY Cable)'s other products, I highly recommend this vendor. Without asking, he offered me a great discount on a "B stock" Maelstrom, with cosmetic flaw (earlier production prior to the problems). Great deal for me in a downfiring application. When I received the unit it looked perfect, I would have gladly paid full price. He also took time out of his busy day to offer advice on my project.
post #20 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 306
So Kevin, will there be any type of service for existing customers if their subs fail?

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

post #21 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey... I appreciate everyone's kind comments.

In terms of the picture... I guarantee you that it makes me sicker than any of you will ever know. It probably doesn't help the perception of my product but hell.... I deserve any trashing I get. I'll take my licks and hopefully learn something when all of this is behind me.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #22 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8DOGG View Post

So Kevin, will there be any type of service for existing customers if their subs fail?

I have no ability to replace them if the customer damages them. The good news is that I see virtually no "warranty" issues on product that has been in operation for any amount of time. The VAST majority of warranty issues occur within the first 10 hours of operation. This shorting ring issue would develop fairly quickly and it was an issue that I didn't see on any of the earlier production runs.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #23 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The mael-x has always been special to me, ever since dans easy button max I was always attracted to it. Sherv's quad sealed king was something I never thought I could attain but I always bounced back between ported and sealed.

I took a detour with the horn subs but came upon a fantastic deal for six mael-x's. I went with a four box sealed setup and am so happy with them, hell my wife even said they sound better than my previous setup. Her favorite comment "They sound so much cleaner."

Anyways its sad to see the mael-x go, it had that extra x-max and low fs and priced a bit higher than the 18's but way cheaper then the XXX and TC sounds that made it very desirable. Kevin I really do hope you consider bringing it back in the future.

Correct me if I am wrong but the mael-x used the tumult motor on it, did it not?

post #24 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Adire Audio with Dan Wiggins developed XBL^2 and licensed it out, the ones that advertised it were Ascendant Audio and RE Audio off the top of my head, then CSS with the SDX15. Many others used it but didnt make it known. Dale and Chad of Ascendant pulled a nice stunt that worked very well, they had a "fight" with Dan so they sold off all their XBL^2 drivers super cheap and made a real name for themselves, till they sold to Scott Atwell of Fi.

The Brahma was designed for car audio with a touch smaller Xmax and a touch higher Fs than the Tulult designed for HT. The next gen to be released was to have 18's. Ascendant Audio had the Avalanche which was between the Brahma and Tulult. I had 2 of those but Dan and Dale Kuypers stole them back from me.

RE Audio had the XXX which was for car audio, higher Xmax and higher Fs and claimed a much higher power handling as well.

AA Avalanches and RE Audio XXXs had 18's available.

None of them are all the same motors, just similar. There were many versions of XXX, Brahma, and Tumults... then there was the Brahma Exteme's that Scottie Johnson used to rip his doors for SPL burping.

KW, failed super hero

post #25 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but the mael-x used the tumult motor on it, did it not?

Not really... I have learned a lot about motor design since the Tumult days. Other than the fact that they are both 3" VCs, with roughly the same amount of Xmax & split gap motors it is really a different design, especially the shorting ring arrangement. The Le optimization tricks are really more of an issue with devices that operate higher in frequency but it is something I look to optimize if I have the budget to do so. It isn't complex if you have the right tools. Dan & Dave are selling a new motor FEA tool that makes it a snap.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
post #26 of 129 Old 06-01-2011, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
The build house situation is beyond unfortunate, Kevin. I still hope that one day you can come back out with a new batch of Maelstrom Gen II's, because I know I'd quickly buy two more, if no one else. What are your plans will all the useless units from the last batch... they can't be refurbed? Will you sell the cones as PRs?
post #27 of 129 Old 06-02-2011, 01:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
There is another interesting use for any remaining 'bad' drivers that is a bit unorthodox. If you place these drivers in stuffed enclosures and short the terminals you will create a great hemholtz resonator tuned to some frequency. By varying enclosure size and adding variable resistance between terminals you should be able to adjust the resonant frequency to match a problematic room mode. Multiple enclosures can work on multiple frequencies even. In an unpowered use hopefully the shorting rings would stay put in the motor.

I've long thought this would be an interesting and effective way to attack room modes, but (1) nobody wants to spend $600 per acoustic treatment and (2) it would take some extra floor space.

post #28 of 129 Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Damn. No plans to even resurrect them huh. Sorry about the way things went Kevin. What's the deal on the Tempest X and Shiva X? Are they still sticking around? I can understand having to cut your losses aafter being burned. You can no longer deal with the company that was producing them and they still owe you money. Moving the production somewhere else takes even more money and you still have the risk of getting shafted again.

post #29 of 129 Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
There is another interesting use for any remaining 'bad' drivers that is a bit unorthodox. If you place these drivers in stuffed enclosures and short the terminals you will create a great hemholtz resonator tuned to some frequency. By varying enclosure size and adding variable resistance between terminals you should be able to adjust the resonant frequency to match a problematic room mode. Multiple enclosures can work on multiple frequencies even. In an unpowered use hopefully the shorting rings would stay put in the motor.

I've long thought this would be an interesting and effective way to attack room modes, but (1) nobody wants to spend $600 per acoustic treatment and (2) it would take some extra floor space.
Very interesting

Back in the 80's, there was a high end audio piece kinda like you described. It actively measured LF, and produced a 180 null output to suppress high pressure areas in the room. Typically, individuals would place them in the two rear corners. They were like 7' tall sono tube pieces, with these nulling drivers at each end. Mic would pick up the signal, invert it and null the LF.

I remember very good reviews, however,...quite expensive.

Thanks

post #30 of 129 Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
Damn. No plans to even resurrect them huh. Sorry about the way things went Kevin. What's the deal on the Tempest X and Shiva X? Are they still sticking around? I can understand having to cut your losses aafter being burned. You can no longer deal with the company that was producing them and they still owe you money. Moving the production somewhere else takes even more money and you still have the risk of getting shafted again.
Right now there are too many things up in the air for me to have a definitive answer. I was hoping so but it has taken far too long to move them to another manufacturing partner and the time element isn't playing in my favor. Also there is a glut of surplus drivers on the market... the MFWs for example. It is pretty hard to bet your life on a business move when there are literally hundreds of drivers floating around at cost.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page