post #571 of 585 Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchswan0311 View Post

JonathanC...

We will eventually produce our own original content, but for now I think this works. You have to remember, I am still finishing building the deck, and have yet to finish sheetrocking the lower level where wine making operations will take place. We haven't even moved the wine making to the new winery yet. When I climb a couple steps on Maslow's ladder...then we will start to focus on such things as producing our own original content beyond what we have already done. Also, while YOU and members of the forum might look on videos like the 20th Century Fox parody as yesteryear, 90% of our target audience will have never seen it before and will think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread....IMHO.

Finally, if you look at post #553, you will see your exact suggestion has already been done. Please do not get me wrong - I am not taking your feedback in the wrong way. I do not believe you had malice intended...and I appreciate that you believe our venue is one that exudes quality. :-)

That is a good point, non-theater hobbyists will be thrilled I am sure. Somehow I missed Promo #1 above which actually does most of what I mentioned. 4 or 5 pages back someone mentioned Cinema Experience script for XBMC. Have you had a chance to demo this ? When I have movie nights, I set it up to start at a specific time, so when guests are arriving, they don't see the XBMC interface, just trivia slides and cool art stolen from various background repositories. In the background I usually have John Coltrane playing. Then it starts with a THX bumper, a DTS or Dolby bumper (auto detected), a film countdown from the 40's, and then the movie starts. I can also set it up to stream trailers from apple trailers, with PG ratings matched to the feature film, as well as genre, so a romantic comedy feature won't have trailers for the Fast and Furious 12 and Evil Dead.

On top, I can throw in a please turn off your cell phones video. The script will also do Intermissions 1/2 way through the movie, complete with intermission videos.

How this would tie in with a bluray I am not sure, my media is stored on a 3TB NAS drive. XBMC can use external players for bluray so I am sure there is a way to get it working, allowing for a very slick setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #572 of 585 Old 06-28-2013, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
This is the lineup for July 5:

1. 4 Min 50 Sec Countdown video with a violin duet version of One Republic's "secrets".
2. 10 Second Dolby Countdown Video.
3. Winery Dinner Theater Intro (20th Century Fox Parody)
4. Winery "Coming Attractions" video (Lion's Gate Parody)
5. Preview of "Lincoln (2012)" (To be shown on July 12)
6. Preview of "The Hobbit (2012)" (To be shown on July 26)
7. Preview of "Oz The Great & Powerful (2013)" (Date TBD)
8. DLP Cinema Intro
9. Winery Dinner Theater "Feature Presentation" Intro (Warner Bros. Parody)
10. Feature Presentation: "Blast From The Past (1999)"

Unfortunately, "Blast From The Past" is yet to be released on Blu-ray, so I had to rip my DVD copy (our license allows us to use our own copy of the movie). Why "Blast From The Past"? Our town's 4th of July theme is "Past, Present, & Future" ... so we thought it was fitting...and we like the movie. Anyway...I then spliced all of the above videos together into a single MP4 file (~10GB). While an HD version of the feature presentation would have been ideal, the DVD rip (up-converted to 1920x1080p/29.92fps during the splicing process) looks pretty good.

When it comes time to play the movie...I will run it on my DIVX player off a laptop and let it do its thing. Also, I adjusted the volume levels of the various tracks before splicing them together so that everything will be at an appropriate volume. For instance the music at the beginning is background, the Dolby and DLP intros are IMPACTFUL, and the previews and main feature are where they should be. No volume adjustments should need to be made once the video begins to play. If it does require it, I will do so directly on the amps so that no volume settings suddenly appear on the big screen.

Now that my brother and I made the MGM Intro parody with him growling like a lion, I might add that after #3 above. That's pretty much it. On the newer movies, I intend to use a Blu-ray rip and splice everything together as shown above into one file...it just seems easier. Maybe someone with more experience may be able to suggest something easier and better, but until I find more time (perhaps after the completion of construction) this is my plan.

Have I missed anything?
post #573 of 585 Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 PM

Liked: 46
Make sure the laptop has a full battery, and that you have the power management set to performance, not power saver. I would assume you've done a test run already.

On your laptop, if you're running Windows, you can disable the soundcard driver and keep the sound driver for the HDMI chip set active this takes windows volume control out of the gain structure, and allows a bit perfect output over HDMI.
post #574 of 585 Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Make sure the laptop has a full battery, and that you have the power management set to performance, not power saver. I would assume you've done a test run already.

On your laptop, if you're running Windows, you can disable the soundcard driver and keep the sound driver for the HDMI chip set active this takes windows volume control out of the gain structure, and allows a bit perfect output over HDMI.

The HDMI Cable and Power Cable run out of the side of the server rack for the laptop to connect, so power will not be an issue. I actually had not thought of changing the performance settings, but that is a good idea. I did not know that about disabling the soundcard driver. I HAVE noticed that things sound better coming from my Blackberry Playbook HDMI Mini out than from the laptop. Never had the time to figure out why.

I vote to repeal the 24 hour day and move to a 36 hour day. Do I hear a second?
post #575 of 585 Old 07-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Liked: 13
I finished reading the whole thread, great job. This is a huge inspiration for me. I'm planning on opening a small brewery that will fill growlers and kegs, and also sell to local bars in a busy city area. I'm thinking a beer theater in the basement. I always wished I could have a beer at the theater, it could be very unique like your idea. I would be going the pi + preamp + lilmike route as well. Was thinking of going with 4 lilwreckers instead though. Well since it won't be for a year or 2, I may be going with lilmikes 50^3 ft horns of 2015 if I have the space tongue.gif
post #576 of 585 Old 07-18-2013, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

dood...I wish you the best of luck. It's a lot of work, but I felt it was worth it.

Here is the latest promo for our screening of "Oz: The Great and Powerful" that will will be showing in our Dinner Theater on July 25, 2013...

post #577 of 585 Old 12-31-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Hey everyone...just thought I would poke in and say hi to anyone still following this thread. We have hosted several movies and so far it has been hit or miss. We have sold out, and we have also had an event in which only four showed up. I think it has less to do with what we are showing and more to do with getting the word out that we are showing it.

The BenQ 960 continues to impress and I really feel like we made the right choice there.

I did a test yesterday to see what movies and dance music would have been like had I only built two F20 subs. My verdict was that two might have done the job, and that most people might not have noticed the difference. However, I did have to push those two A LOT harder to get near the same "fullness" of bass that four of them provide at only 50% power. So, I stand by my decision to build and install four subs. While my amps have clip meters on them, you can really just use your ears as the meters. It is noticeably uncomfortable to be in the room LONG before the drivers are in any danger of being overpowered.

We continue to explore our options in expanding our dmx controlled lighting for parties/dancing. The fog machine (Hurricane 1800) has been moved to being integrated into the rafters. Now I can fill the room with fog quickly without blasting an innocent bystander.

Tonight we are hosting a New Year's Eve party. We plan on playing music videos for the first part of the night before transitioning into dj'd music. Probably show the ball drop on the big screen at midnight.

At any rate, Happy New Year and I hope to hear from you all soon. Cheers!
post #578 of 585 Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Pics or it didn't happen!
post #579 of 585 Old 12-31-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

I will take some pics tonight.
post #580 of 585 Old 01-05-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
any updates on picture?
post #581 of 585 Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Dutch!

I called you guys the week before Christmas to see if I could put in a wine order delivered to Virginia.

Your father said he would look into it for me, but I never heard back.

Anyway, post some pics of the NYE party!

post #582 of 585 Old 01-16-2014, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

I will check on that. It's tax season...and for a winery that makes it an extra busy month. You would not believe how many different things they tax! Will post pics tonight.
post #583 of 585 Old 01-16-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:

I will check on that. It's tax season...and for a winery that makes it an extra busy month. You would not believe how many different things they tax! Will post pics tonight.

And the serfs need more wine to drink after paying their taxes! eek.gif
post #584 of 585 Old 01-16-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

The fog machine (Hurricane 1800) has been moved to being integrated into the rafters. Now I can fill the room with fog quickly without blasting an innocent bystander.

But half the fun of having a machine like that IS blasting innocent bystanders! biggrin.gif

Ah well, I guess some sacrifices have to be made in the name of a profession establishment.

BTW - when do we get to see pictures of the finished deck? You did finish it, right? wink.gif

Chris

"It hurts to admit when you make mistakes - but when they are big enough, the pain only lasts a second."
--Despair, Inc. "Regret"

My AviaTrix TM Build
post #585 of 585 Old 01-16-2014, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I will include pictures of the deck too. :-)
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page