question about speaker wire? positive, negative? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
blazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i just got a roll of speaker wire, and this will be my first time using banana plugs.

the color of the speaker wire is copper color for both wires. on the plastic covering, one wire has a blue stripe and the other plastic cover has no lines.

is the one with the blue line the negative wire?

thanks, sorry for the noob question.
blazed is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 07:27 PM
Member
 
sproulle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazed View Post

i just got a roll of speaker wire, and this will be my first time using banana plugs.

the color of the speaker wire is copper color for both wires. on the plastic covering, one wire has a blue stripe and the other plastic cover has no lines.

is the one with the blue line the negative wire?

thanks, sorry for the noob question.

Physically, there's no difference between the wires. I don't know if there is a standard convention for it. The important thing is to be consistent. Whether you make the stripe positive or negative doesn't matter as long as you stick to it and make all the cables the same way. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in soon with details about whether or not there is a convention for it (for anyone not familiar with "convention" in this context, it means an arbitrarily chosen method of differentiating between things. For instance, positive always being the red wire is a convention. There's no reason that the positive wire needs to be red, but we make it that way so it is easier for everyone to keep track of.)
sproulle is offline  
post #3 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
blazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sproulle View Post

Physically, there's no difference between the wires. I don't know if there is a standard convention for it. The important thing is to be consistent. Whether you make the stripe positive or negative doesn't matter as long as you stick to it and make all the cables the same way. I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in soon with details about whether or not there is a convention for it (for anyone not familiar with "convention" in this context, it means an arbitrarily chosen method of differentiating between things. For instance, positive always being the red wire is a convention. There's no reason that the positive wire needs to be red, but we make it that way so it is easier for everyone to keep track of.)

ok cool. thanks for the quick reply sproulle, i appreciate it.
blazed is offline  
post #4 of 18 Old 06-29-2011, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Just start your own 'convention'. Use the striped conductor for ALL positive (my own choice) or ALL negative and you'll be fine.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #5 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the choice of either expensive red/black jacketed wire or the same diameter wire in plain white for both wires.

The solution to what of the two white wires was positive was this:

Hookup the wire ends to a speaker and grab the ends of the wires(mine had a tiny bump along one of the close to identical white wires).

Grab a AAA or AA or C or D or nive volt batt. and notice one terminal has + and the other batt. terminal has -.

Ok now when the speaker cone pushes OUT or towards you thats when you have the + batt terminal sending juice to the + speaker terminal and the - batt. terminal sending juice to the - speaker terminal.

Once you have all the speakers hooked up make sure all the cones push out/towards you.

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
post #6 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
^^^ Huh? He already has cable with one conductor marked with a blue stripe. There is no need for that.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #7 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 01:53 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

^^^ Huh? He already has cable with one conductor marked with a blue stripe. There is no need for that.


Really?

I once purchased some woofers that had + and - markings on all of them.
But the bass sounded off! when I was playing the four woofers and feeding them DJ Billy E songs.

I had a look and every RED + wire running from the RED+ amp terminal was going to a RED + woofer terminal and every amp terminal BLACK - was going to a BLACK- on the woofer.

Everything hooked up properly?
Everything red going to red and everything black going to black?
Everything in phase? right?. right?, right!!!??

Hell no!!
It was WRONG!! to ASSUME!!

The problem??
Some wonky fried worker at the woofer factory placed a big RED + on the woofer NEGATIVE terminal and that same idiot! worker placed a big BLACK - on the woofer POSITIVE terminal!

Morale:
Always! test! your woofer phase!

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
post #8 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Don't buy crap. I've never had something wired incorrect from the factory yet.
And if you have an issue, fix it then.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #9 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Don't buy crap. I've never had something wired incorrect from the factory yet.
And if you have an issue, fix it then.

I do not buy crap.
But since products are made by the hand of man and not God then its my rule of thumb to never blindly trust what a machine says without checking it.

In other words trust but verify.

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
post #10 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
And if you have an issue, fix it then.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #11 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 05:01 PM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

Just start your own 'convention'. Use the striped conductor for ALL positive (my own choice) or ALL negative and you'll be fine.

I have used the blue striped wire as positive for over 30 years.
mjg100 is offline  
post #12 of 18 Old 06-30-2011, 05:05 PM
 
mjg100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Burrows View Post

I had the choice of either expensive red/black jacketed wire or the same diameter wire in plain white for both wires.

The solution to what of the two white wires was positive was this:

Hookup the wire ends to a speaker and grab the ends of the wires(mine had a tiny bump along one of the close to identical white wires).

Grab a AAA or AA or C or D or nive volt batt. and notice one terminal has + and the other batt. terminal has -.

Ok now when the speaker cone pushes OUT or towards you thats when you have the + batt terminal sending juice to the + speaker terminal and the - batt. terminal sending juice to the - speaker terminal.

Once you have all the speakers hooked up make sure all the cones push out/towards you.

If you look closely at the insulation of the solid white wire, you will see that one wire will have more ridges or groves in the insulation. That way you can identify and maintain polarity. Every piece of two conductor lamp cord that I have seen is marked this way regardless of color.
mjg100 is offline  
post #13 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post
If you look closely at the insulation of the solid white wire, you will see that one wire will have more ridges or groves in the insulation. That way you can identify and maintain polarity. Every piece of two conductor lamp cord that I have seen is marked this way regardless of color.
Or sometimes the two conductor lamp wire has letters on it.

So far I have had drivers with inverted polarity from Boston Acoustics, Infinity, Cerwin Vega???

So for me its the same as a conversation I had with a State Trooper when I stopped and I noticed the troopers car behind me I went huh??

But no prob. the trooper just wanted to ask why I had the habit of tapping my brakes/slowing down at intersections when the light is green.

The green light means nothing to a drunk that tbones my ride, right??

The trooper said avoiding dirt status.
I said dirt status??

The trooper said DRT as in dead, right, there.

Well a black or red on a speaker means the same to me.
What counts is if all the cones move in harmony then its ok.

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
post #14 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 04:33 AM
Advanced Member
 
omegaslast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 875
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
^^^ wtf are you smoking. We're talking about speaker wires with labeling along the whole wire. Theres no issue with polarities here and telling him to do a 9 volt battery test is a waste of his time.

Want to measure your subwoofers? check out my dummies guide for a step by step process to Room EQ wizard
http://polaraudio.blogspot.com/2012/01/calibration.html
omegaslast is offline  
post #15 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

^^^ wtf are you smoking. We're talking about speaker wires with labeling along the whole wire. Theres no issue with polarities here and telling him to do a 9 volt battery test is a waste of his time.

You are right.
A nine volt batt. test is a waste of time..............for pros.

Noobs however install when tired/ drunk/smoked and woofer cones end up punctured, wires connected whatever, etc.

My fav. is seeing noobs use a drill with a philips bit to install woofers as theres a 50 % chance that a woofer is going to be punctured when being drillstalled.

My noob fav. so far is being asked why a car amp will not turn on when the noob had a good positive connection and a good ground connection.

Had a look at the car and yep it had a good ground..........LOL!!
Two straps were holding a shiny aluminium beercan to the side of the vehicle and the inside of the can was filled with dirt and the black(ground) cable was placed firmly in the dirt inside the can for a ""good ground"" LOL!!

Removed can and drilled three holes in chassis then used three bolts to hold ground cable firmly in place on shiny chassis metal.

Hifonics car amp works to this day in noobs car.

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
post #16 of 18 Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
A9X-308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia; now run by adults.
Posts: 5,163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 42
^^ Strawman.
A9X-308 is offline  
post #17 of 18 Old 07-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by A9X-308 View Post

^^ Strawman.

Ok I give up since you seem to think that no one, ever feels the need for testing speaker polarity since that one wire is marked and testing is a waste of time??

I guess one wire is blue works for the entire world???

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=546659236

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...GoogleBaseFeed

http://www.phase-it.com/

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
post #18 of 18 Old 07-03-2011, 01:46 AM
Senior Member
 
Russell Burrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: no mans land aka mexican dmz
Posts: 422
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaslast View Post

^^^ wtf are you smoking. We're talking about speaker wires with labeling along the whole wire. Theres no issue with polarities here and telling him to do a 9 volt battery test is a waste of his time.

Unless the guy is going to plug one wire in one ear and another wire in another ear then those wires are going to be hooked up to a speaker.

Blindly trusting that the red on a speaker actually means + without a verification test is naive.

Thats what I am talking about.

DIY beats store purchased.
Russell Burrows is offline  
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off