Yet another dual opposed mfw 15 build (my first ever) - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 141 Old 07-10-2011, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a quick pic of how my feet are going to look against the stained wood.

Yeah, I am super excited about how these things are looking, hopefully the wife will be as well..

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 141 Old 07-10-2011, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I was able to get some time tonight to work on the cabinets..
I have been worried that my sealed boxes might not be sealed, so I got a tube of silicone and on all edges the inside of the box. Probably overkill, but hey that's how I roll..

I was able to rough sand, and finish sand both cabinets. Here is a shot of the done sanding cab.

Then a shot of both enclosures standing on end after rough and finish sand..

Then finally, a shot of both cabinets pretreated for stain.

My youngest daughter decided to help daddy out by being cute as h%??..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 141 Old 07-10-2011, 11:41 PM

Nice work!!

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #34 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

With? I mean to say, the daughter, or the build? lol. Either way thanks..

post #35 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 10:52 AM

LOL, yes, you did a good job on the daughter too, though, I would bet your better half had more to do with that

I've never experience FULL audio until now. I never knew what I was missing. WOW what a difference.
post #36 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

For sure she did a good job. I tell her that I just sent the bluprints, that she was the builder when it came to babies. lol

She argues that I had more to with her, but she doesnt even look like me......

post #37 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
the cabs look sharp. nice. i hope the stains takes as you want.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #38 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks Lt, I am concerned with that as well. I have read that baltic is a Bi&ch to stain.. So I hope it goes well for me. I am going to try my hand, or luck, later...

No worries, plenty of pics will ensue.

post #39 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 02:35 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 31
These are looking awesome! As for staining, yes, I found birch to be a b*tch. If I could do it over, I'd definitely practice on large pieces more than I did using both a rag and brush to see which does the better job.

BTW, are you considering grills of any sort?

Great looking feet! Might be a tad harsh on wood floors if you have those though (short of adding some sort of rubber to the bottom).

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #40 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 02:38 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Oh, and do ensure you round over a scrap piece of wood and stain the round over to make sure you don't mind the look of it. As it will likely come out darker due to the plys...

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #41 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 02:40 PM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Here are a few examples from when I was doing mine (you're using much nicer 13 ply vs my crappy 3 ply though! Unfortunately I bought the ply from Home Depot before reading about the differences between higher quality birch plys)...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post18392792

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

post #42 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the tips and comments guys, it really has helped me a ton.

Yeah the feet would be a little rough for hard wood floors but since they are going on carpet, I don't feel that will be an issue.

@ PBC Yeah I am going to be making a grill, that is why the frame around my outer baffel is there. I am planning on a interference fit, I hope that will be enough to keep them in place.

Anyway, I was able to get some work done today since I came home from work early cause the wife was thinking she was in labor. (that seems bad, I know that I came home for a possible labor, but ended up working on subs, buy hey, addicts are not normal people) False alarm on the labor, but progress on the subs!

Here is a pic of the fully stained cabinets.

In that pic you can see the little baby, (soon to be big sis) drinking her free slurpee.. And the cabinets. lol. As you can tell they are just stained no finish for now, waiting for the stain to dry 100 percent. Going to be using the bar top epoxy that eric h talked about on his build.

Here is another pic of just the grain on one side, I really like the way they are turning out.

And once the stain was dry enough, I figured, hell lets tape it off, and commence to spraying the outer baffels

In that shot you can see the tape, and the primer.. Once the primer was dry it was time to spray the black.

Now imagine the black and the stain covered in a high gloss outer protective fininsh. Thats the plan, but its going to take me awhile, so stay tuned!

post #43 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile34 View Post

but she doesnt even look like me......

As long as she doesn't look like the Milkman.

BTW, that stain looks really good. The Birch took the stain very well so it seems...I'm sure it will entice others to stain Birch ply.
post #44 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Lol, round here we have a mailwoman, well I guess to be p.c. I should say mailperson... but that made me literally lol. Thanks.

The stain took awhile, but I like the way it turned out, so far....

I used a brush to spread the stain, and too keep it evenly distributed. Kept brushing until the stain started to stiffen up then wiped off with a clean towel everytime.

post #45 of 141 Old 07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I wish my first sub cabinet build had been built a tenth as well.

Nice work!

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #46 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 06:13 AM

Liked: 18
Well done. Did you pretreat the wood with anything before the stain?

... keeping track of my audio projects.

post #47 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yes, as noted in post #32 I pretreated both cabinets with minwax prestain conditioner.

Thanks for all the kind words..

I am so excited to get these finished and move them into the house...

post #48 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 07:28 AM

Ah, guess I just overlooked that. Looks great! How much of a difference do you think the conditioner made?

post #49 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

As post number 11 shows, the untreated baltic takes stain rather unevenly. Resulting in very dark areas, and uneven tone. So I treated every area to be stained, to allow a more consistent result.

I did notice however, that you have to leave the stain on for much longer to get the color dark at all.

post #50 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Can you do a closer pick of the rounded corner that is stained? I'm doing bb with the speakers I'm getting ready to build so want to see how the exposed edges work with stain.
post #51 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Very nice job building the cabinets, those are gonna sound awesome. The stain looks blotchy, I wish I would have chimed in earlier. I was looking to stain my Danley DTS-10 cabinet and did a lot of research & testing on Birch Ply and ran across Charles Neil's blotch control and it works awesome on all blotch prone woods. It's only been out a little over a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfCYM...feature=digest
post #52 of 141 Old 07-12-2011, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sure thing Maklar, you ask and you receive.

Here is one shot of one corner, and here is another..

As far as the stain looking blotchy, it was probably more due to my inexperiance rather than anything else. I got better with every application of stain. Which I kinda new I would, which is why I started staining the bottom.

But all in all, I am happy with the results, and really looking forward to my getting the clear epoxy on, and seeing that HIGH gloss finish! But its going to be awhile. I can only do one side a night, which means at the very least I am looking at six days....

post #53 of 141 Old 07-16-2011, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well is been a while since I last updated this thread cause I have been super busy at work, and have not had a chance to do anything with the enclosures.
But wifey did give me the go ahead the other day to add to my tool collection. So here is a pic of the newest addition to the family, a miter saw.

With the new addition I was able to build a long needed addition to my garage, a work bench. (actually two)

Ok, ok I hear you, what's that have to do with dual opposed mfw's? So back on topic I go. As you already know, I am to the finishing phase of my build. So I picked up some parks super glaze, at home depot and went for it. Now I have refinished wood before, but I am no expert by any means. Most of my woodworking experience comes from eighth grade woodshop, that was twenty years ago, (god I am old) but I did refinish this

The lighter color is original, the darker is me.... Damn Add, anyway back on topic. Here is a couple of quick shots of the first side I used the epoxy resin on.

and

As you can tell, this sh*@ is shiny, cannot wait to get these done. so looking forward to seeing if they sound as good as I hope the end up looking.

I started finishing the bottom, that way I can learn tricks on the surface that no one is going to see.

Thanks Eric H for the heat tip in your thread, without it I surely would have passed out do to hyperventilation.

Comments questions welcome....

post #54 of 141 Old 07-16-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

The 2nd pic especially looks as if you had palced a thin glass top on that side of the enclosure. I love the look of it. Great work. Love the DIY sub feet as well.

You'll rarely hear anyone say, "I wish I'd gotten less Sub."

$ubwoofer$ and premium mango tree cultivar$

post #55 of 141 Old 07-17-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well the epoxy has dried on the one side that I was able to get it onto (bottom) so I figured what better time, than now to final build the bottom?

I placed the feet that I made into there respective places, and went to screw them into the wood when I discoverd that the clearance hole that I drilled was not big enough for the head of the wood screw. So I had to drill them bigger, luckily I had the proper size drill bit here at the house so it was not that big of a deal.

After redrilling the clearance holes in my feet, I again placed them into there places, and screwed them down, I also took the time to solder the wires to my speaker connection and screw that down as well. So here are the pics of the results.

And another veiw,

I found an issue, I made all my feet the same size, well, +/- .010 but I am tall in the center, I think its due to the fact that I placed my feet near the edges, thinking they would look good, not thinking that I removed stock from there to get everything smooth.
So I am undecided, do I just grind some off the center, or just remove the center foot completly.

The only problem I can see with removing the foot completly is that I would have a hole where it was mounted.

What do you guys think?

Tomarrow, I plan on coating the remaining sides with a sealer coat of poly, and maybe starting the speaker covers....

Stay tuned

post #56 of 141 Old 07-17-2011, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Sand the center one down or cut some off, or just remove it and fill the hole. It's not like you'll need a center leg anyway, should be fine with the four on the corners. Looks good though...
post #57 of 141 Old 07-17-2011, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Agree, remove the center foot and plug the hole. You won't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Beaver
The nice thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
post #58 of 141 Old 07-18-2011, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I am sorry if this in the wrong area, but I have asked more than once on the mini dsp thread but have not gotten a response.

Considering you know what I am building, and you know that I am using a ep4000 to power it, what mini should I buy in order to make sure I can push my amp to It's fullest potential.

And what software packet should I buy to eq my subs?

Thanks for all your help...

post #59 of 141 Old 07-18-2011, 05:33 PM

From what I've gathered, you want the balanced version and the 4-way advanced plugin.

The finish looks incredible, by the way!

post #60 of 141 Old 07-19-2011, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for all your help. and thank you for the kind words. I am so excited to get this project finished and listen to the sounds of diy audio.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page