Am I too arrogant?? or are DIY HT outperforming Theater ??? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by aackthpt View Post

I could give a crap if a theatre can "do" 19Hz (whatever THAT means). My HT can shake the floor on LFE passages but I would never, EVER choose to listen at the volume level that makes that happen. I don't even hang around when people run demos at volume levels that will result in hearing damage. Give me a larger screen and a more comfortable seat, thank you very much. Also, note to the cinema industry, stop making crap films.

That right there tells me that you have never heard an HT system that is capable of playing clean reference levels. A lot of people think they have systems that can play at reference level, but most systems can't do so cleanly. What happens, the speakers max out on the peaks and start soft clipping. Then the only SPL that is increasing are the lower levels and distortion. When that happens it just sounds loud and harsh. The system no longer has dynamics because there isn't much difference between the peaks and every thing else. A system that can play loud and clean maintains dynamics. There is separation between the peaks and the lower level sounds. This is what gives impact and that suddenness that can scare you. With a clean reference capable system with good subs, you can be listening at 10 to 15db below reference and you still feel plenty of impact from the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

That right there tells me that you have never heard an HT system that is capable of playing clean reference levels. A lot of people think they have systems that can play at reference level, but most systems can't do so cleanly. What happens, the speakers max out on the peaks and start soft clipping. Then the only SPL that is increasing are the lower levels and distortion. When that happens it just sounds loud and harsh. The system no longer has dynamics because there isn't much difference between the peaks and every thing else. A system that can play loud and clean maintains dynamics. There is separation between the peaks and the lower level sounds. This is what gives impact and that suddenness that can scare you. With a clean reference capable system with good subs, you can be listening at 10 to 15db below reference and you still feel plenty of impact from the system.

I heard a good analogy....when your "significant other" walks in and says it is too loud. They are talking about the distortion. When it is a clean sounding system it doesn't sound nearly as harsh even though it is at the same volume and the sig other doesn't complain nearly as much.
post #63 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
My bass system is not quite on notnyt's level but my subs will fully pessurize my listening area (large living room that opens to the kitchen and hall way) will make your hair stand up and are much better than any theater I have been to, including IMAX.

I have 2 CH.2s up front each powered by a Dayton 1000 watt amp. That =4 sealed 18 inch subs.

I also have an 18.T set up behind my listening area (2 separate 18 inch subs located at the far rear corners of my seating area powered by another Dayton amp).

My speakers are Klipsch RF-7 mains, rc 64 center and 82 wides, 52 rear and RB 52 surrounds.

I will never go to the theater again.
post #64 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I heard a good analogy....when your "significant other" walks in and says it is too loud. They are talking about the distortion. When it is a clean sounding system it doesn't sound nearly as harsh even though it is at the same volume and the sig other doesn't complain nearly as much.

I used this same logic to my wife when I upgraded from box subs to an IB. She's like "why do we need to spend more money on subs when the ones we have now already shake the room?"

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #65 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Liked: 10
All I know is, Boston is a great city for exceptional IMAX theaters

The science museum has an OMNIMAX that has that sound system intro before the movie where they illuminate the subwoofer stack behind the screen (with the lights off inside so you can see through the screen) that must be 30 feet high- sends shivers down my spine

Then the IMAX at Jordan's Furniture has memory foam seats and buttkickers strapped to every row... wow!
post #66 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

The jordans buttkickers are pretty cool. I havnt found that anywhere. I'm hoping to check out potter this weekend in IMAX but in in Chicago. Hopefully there is a good one out here.
post #67 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepAcoustics View Post

All I know is, Boston is a great city for exceptional IMAX theaters

The science museum has an OMNIMAX that has that sound system intro before the movie where they illuminate the subwoofer stack behind the screen (with the lights off inside so you can see through the screen) that must be 30 feet high- sends shivers down my spine

Then the IMAX at Jordan's Furniture has memory foam seats and buttkickers strapped to every row... wow!

That is impressive, I must admit.
post #68 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I've been in 4 IMAX's, and have yet to find one that is close to my room. Not in volume, extension, impact. The standard theaters in town are a joke. I don't go often, but just took the kids to Cars2 and was shocked at the poor audio performance.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #69 of 80 Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I've been in 4 IMAX's, and have yet to find one that is close to my room. Not in volume, extension, impact. The standard theaters in town are a joke. I don't go often, but just took the kids to Cars2 and was shocked at the poor audio performance.

If you haven't yet, you should check out the Regal RPX at Hollywood. There's only 14 in the country I believe, and it sports the following:

"RPX involves converting individual screens into premium environments. The upgraded theaters will feature “luxurious” seats that have high-back head rests. The theaters will also have large 60 foot wide immersive screens and dual 30,000 lumen digital projectors capable of showing Real 3D and 2D movies. They will also be equipped with state-of-the-art 100,000 watt 9.1 digital audio speaker systems with 273 loudspeaker components including eight 21 inch subwoofers."

I've been once, X-Men First Class and it was a huge step up from the rest of the theaters there and in town. Nothing will compare to personal theaters involving smaller rooms and easier to attain <20Hz performance; but we have to go somewhere for new releases.

The IMAX in Simpsonville isn't bad, but the last film I saw there (TF3) needed to be turned up ~6dB to get in my "comfort" zone. Films shot in IMAX I drive down to Buford for as it's the nearest 70mm film IMAX around. Probably will be there for MI4 end of this year and TDK Rises next year.
post #70 of 80 Old 07-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 70
LOL.... "BiGBADDABOOM" best screen name ever.

I'm gonna have to finally try that RPX theater in town (Denver), if the system is really that good. Been meaning to go for a while. Let's see if it can replace my current favorite, a Sony 4k theater with a sweet sound system.
post #71 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Part of the distortion tells how loud it is?

For example I was listening to Battle L.A. and the wife tried to talk several times before I hit the mute button and I asked Her what was up?

The wife says that it did not sound that loud and thats why She ASSUMED that it was low level sound and no problem to talk??

So I said lets play a game where I play the stereo and you guess how loud it is??

If the movie is just actors talking I can turn it up kind of loud and as long as there is no distortion the Wife still thinks its not that loud?? up and until I tell Her try to talk.

Oh and in other parts of the movie sudden explosions that make the Wife jump do give away that its loud

DIY beats store purchased.
post #72 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone have a location list of these
RPX theaters?
post #73 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Here you go:

Anchorage, AK
TIKAHTNU STADIUM 16 IMAX & RPX

Denver, CO
CONTINENTAL 10 & RPX

Miami, FL
KENDALL VILLAGE STADIUM 16 & RPX

Kennesaw, GA
TOWN CENTER STADIUM 16 - KENNESAW & RPX

Chicago, IL
CITY NORTH STADIUM 14 & RPX

Warrenville, IL
CANTERA STADIUM 17 & RPX

Boston, MA
FENWAY STADIUM 13 & RPX

Newington, NH
FOX RUN STADIUM 15 & RPX

New York, NY
E-WALK STADIUM 13 & RPX

Greenville, SC
HOLLYWOOD STADIUM 20 & RPX

Houston, TX
GRAND PALACE STADIUM 24 & RPX

Everett, WA
EVERETT MALL STADIUM 16 & RPX

Lynnwood, WA
ALDERWOOD STADIUM 7 & RPX

Renton, WA
THE LANDING STADIUM 14 & RPX
post #74 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

I hear you. I took my GF to see Cars 2, we just laughed at the sound and the picture quality. It was ridiculous, especially after paying $18 for two tickets.

This was at 9:30 pm on July 4th, we were the only ones in the entire theater! Was still better than the heat, bugs and fireworks show.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." -Robert A. Heinlein

Volunteer Moderator for the Chase Home Theater forum

post #75 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

yes sir
post #76 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesseract67 View Post

I hear you. I took my GF to see Cars 2, we just laughed at the sound and the picture quality. It was ridiculous, especially after paying $18 for two tickets.

This was at 9:30 pm on July 4th, we were the only ones in the entire theater! Was still better than the heat, bugs and fireworks show.

So you literally laughed at sound and picture quality. Even if it sucked. Why would that be funny? Sounds more like arrogance then humor.
post #77 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
There's a difference between pride and arrogance. The whole pretense of the thread is to have light hearted fun.

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #78 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 118
The only reason I *used* to go to the theater was for the big screen, now only when I'm really excited to see a movie ASAP.

Here's a concept that will make you rich, movie theater that sells BEER!
post #79 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHitachi
The only reason I *used* to go to the theater was for the big screen, now only when I'm really excited to see a movie ASAP.

Here's a concept that will make you rich, movie theater that sells BEER!
I've been to a few that sells beer and all kinda of liquors.
post #80 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I 100% agree with having a system being able to play reference without any distortion make a world of difference. The "loud" that people complain about just isn't there. After moving from my Paradigm studio setup to my JTR's made such a big difference, you can't even describe it. Now I will play at reference and you'd never know how loud it actually is unless I bust out the spl meter. It's hard to imagine but awesome to experience.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page