To trim the front and back edges, I just folded down the veneer and sanded it off for a splinter-free result.
Same thing on the back.
Since I trimmed these and got good edges for joining them, I didn't overlap and somehow ended up with some small gaps between sheets.
I sanded before peeling the tape off, to minimize lifting of any wood putty.
Then peeled off the tape and sanded again.
Okay, that's an eye-sore.
Let's try something different.
I used the veneer saw to clean out the putty and to widen the gap a little, so I could insert some veneer on edge into the gap, using a gel super glue.
It's hard to see, but the area to the right of the repair strip has already received this repair as a test and it blends much better.
A small sanding drum grinds it down close.
Then just sand it the rest of the way.
This is still the same area you saw before.
I moved it out into the sunlight to make sure you could see the final results of the gap repairs and it is a little washed out from the sun.
Same area zoomed in as far as my lens can go.
This is the overlap getting sanded. To the right, the overlap has been sanded off already. There is no gap. There should be no gap anyway, I just goofed earlier and showed you how I recovered from the mistake.