Overnight Sensation Finished Pics - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 07-20-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For some reason I never thought about posting these... I've been busy getting ready to move in with my girlfriend, and wanted to finish these before I had no room to sand stuff and what not. So here's a few finished pictures of the OS Flat Pack's from diysoundgroup.com. Thanks Erich!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
just wondering, for your speakers, did you paint the edges, or is that just stain?
post #3 of 24 Old 07-20-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufokillerz View Post
just wondering, for your speakers, did you paint the edges, or is that just stain?
Just stain. I used a General Finishes Oil Base Gel Wood Stain... Georgian Cherry was the color. It came out better than I had hoped. Working with this stain was VERY easy to get the color as dark or light as I wanted. I actually used cloth sponges to wipe off the excess as it seemed easier to control how much I wiped off. I did 3 coats, with sanding in between only the 2nd and 3rd.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Nice color on that for sure.. I almost went with the gel stain as well but ended up with plain ole oil based..

Nice looking build, hope they sound as good as they look.

My first DIY project. A dual, dual opposed setup

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1345494
post #5 of 24 Old 05-14-2012, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Are the dual driver overnight sensations 4ohm? I'm guessing those will require a separate amp? Just curious as I'm getting ready to build some and I've been out of the game for a while. I'm building my whole system completely from scratch all over again. Is there a receiver out there that can power the dual driver overnight sensations or do I need to just stick to the single driver?

My plan was to have 3 dual driver sensations for the LCR and use single driver sensations for the surrounds. Buying an amp at this time is completely out of the question since I need to buy a receiver first. I would be open to buying an amp to power LCR down the road but not even in the foreseeable future.

Thanks
post #6 of 24 Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Pretty much any receiver will power the dual drivers just fine. The more drivers a speaker has, the more sensitive the speakers are so you'd need less power.
post #7 of 24 Old 05-14-2012, 07:31 PM

Liked: 11
I'm building the crossover for these right now. First crossover I've ever done, and I want to stab myself in the eyes! Haha I think I'm almost done at least.
post #8 of 24 Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelnatsch517 View Post

Pretty much any receiver will power the dual drivers just fine. The more drivers a speaker has, the more sensitive the speakers are so you'd need less power.

I thought I heard somewhere that receivers
Have. A hard time pushing 4ohm loads
post #9 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

I thought I heard somewhere that receivers
Have. A hard time pushing 4ohm loads

Here is the quote from Paul about the MTM's

Quote:
Will your amp run these? I can't guarantee. If it's rated for 6 Ohms or lower, you're fine. Also, most chip amps and digital amps will have no problem running this speaker... this means that the Overnight Sensation MTM might lend itself very well to a compact "plug-and-play" system, where a small amp is incorporated into the speaker itself. All the user would need to do is plug in his source (iPod, computer, etc.) and boom, they're putting out tunes at a volume that might actually cause neighbors or family members to bang on the wall to turn it down.

post #10 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgse3 View Post

Here is the quote from Paul about the MTM's

That just gave me a huge sigh of relief. I think I'm going to just go MTM for all 5 then although it might be smart to give the amp a break and just have MT's for the surrounds. The MT's are also easier to finish since they are Baltic birch. I wish the MTM's were in Baltic Birch as well.
post #11 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 491
The OP's boxes were the very first ones cut and didn't have the recessed driver cutouts. When the guys on PE started talking about getting them cut, they thought the rabbet on the back of the baffle was important, so that was the side of the panel that got worked on. It kept the price low when they were being cut from the remaining wood on the Anarchy TH kit.

But afterwards I thought it was better to have recessed drivers. And when I ordered a larger quantity it lowered the cost enough to get the recesses cut for the same price.

The MTM version is only $21. I don't have a huge amount left, maybe 25 or so.

post #12 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

The OP's boxes were the very first ones cut and didn't have the recessed driver cutouts. When the guys on PE started talking about getting them cut, they thought the rabbet on the back of the baffle was important, so that was the side of the panel that got worked on. It kept the price low when they were being cut from the remaining wood on the Anarchy TH kit.

But afterwards I thought it was better to have recessed drivers. And when I ordered a larger quantity it lowered the cost enough to get the recesses cut for the same price.

The MTM version is only $21. I don't have a huge amount left, maybe 25 or so.

Erich,

Are you saying you have MTM's for $21 currently and the only difference is that they don't have recessed driver cutouts? I'm guessing that doesn't include any of the internal pieces?
post #13 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983 View Post

Erich,

Are you saying you have MTM's for $21 currently and the only difference is that they don't have recessed driver cutouts? I'm guessing that doesn't include any of the internal pieces?

You'll be happy to know that you're incorrect on both accounts.

The $21 is for the complete box with recessed drivers and the internal bracing! All the boxes I had the CNC company cut have recessed drivers unless the speaker designer doesn't want them.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pa...flat-pack.html

There's also a full kit there too and PE gave discounts for the parts. I just took their discount and applied it to give everyone free shipping on the entire kit including the flat packs.
post #14 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You'll be happy to know that you're incorrect on both accounts.

The $21 is for the complete box with recessed drivers and the internal bracing! All the boxes I had the CNC company cut have recessed drivers unless the speaker designer doesn't want them.

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/flat-pa...flat-pack.html

There's also a full kit there too and PE gave discounts for the parts. I just took their discount and applied it to give everyone free shipping on the entire kit including the flat packs.

Does it include the crossover components...if so your basically saying that I can get a 5.0 system for under $100 dollars which is way to good of a deal to ever pass up. I guess I just find this too good to be true.
post #15 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I think Erich meant "includes recessed baffles", not "includes recessed drivers". The kits with drivers and crossover components are: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...flat-pack.html
post #16 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbowers View Post

Just stain. I used a General Finishes Oil Base Gel Wood Stain... Georgian Cherry was the color. It came out better than I had hoped. Working with this stain was VERY easy to get the color as dark or light as I wanted. I actually used cloth sponges to wipe off the excess as it seemed easier to control how much I wiped off. I did 3 coats, with sanding in between only the 2nd and 3rd.

Nice! I'm planning on using this stain (walnut) on pine. Did you use a pre stain conditioner?
post #17 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte View Post

I think Erich meant "includes recessed baffles", not "includes recessed drivers". The kits with drivers and crossover components are: http://www.diysoundgroup.com/speaker...flat-pack.html

Sorry, I mean the cutout holes allow for the woofer and tweeter to be recessed into the baffle so they're flush mounted.

The $21 enclosure doesn't actually include the woofers and tweeters.
post #18 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 05:41 PM

How do the overnight sensations sound? What can you compare the to commercially?

How much better is the MTM version? What about vs Tritrix?
post #19 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subjga View Post

How do the overnight sensations sound? What can you compare the to commercially?

How much better is the MTM version? What about vs Tritrix?

I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about the OS speakers and there have been a LOT sold. Without a doubt more than any other DIY speaker out there.

I don't know what they compare to commercially though.

I'm pretty excited about Paul's next design. The boxes are already done, just waiting for him to finalize the crossover any day now. But they will be about twice the size of the small OS speakers.
post #20 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:

I've yet to hear anyone say anything bad about the OS speakers and there have been a LOT sold. Without a doubt more than any other DIY speaker out there.

I don't know what they compare to commercially though.

I'm pretty excited about Paul's next design. The boxes are already done, just waiting for him to finalize the crossover any day now. But they will be about twice the size of the small OS speakers.

Paul's next designs will have flat pack, drivers, x-over, and everything like the OS kit? If so, sounds exciting! When do you think it will be ready to purchase through the website?
post #21 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Paul's next designs will have flat pack, drivers, x-over, and everything like the OS kit? If so, sounds exciting! When do you think it will be ready to purchase through the website?

I can't say too much right now, but yes the full kits will be available with all components. But as mentioned, they will be slightly bigger speakers. He told me 2 days ago he was impressed with their sound so far and he's not completely done tweaking them yet.

There's also another small design coming out from another forum member that won 2nd place in a DIY event last year I think. They're called the 'New Horizons'.

But if I were you, I wouldn't keep waiting for the next best thing because now that I'm able to get smaller numbers ordered, these kits are going to just keep coming one after the other. The 'Swopes' are now ready and so are the floor standing 'Amigas'.

Subwoofer flat packs go up this week along with some subwoofer kits.
post #22 of 24 Old 05-15-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:

I can't say too much right now, but yes the full kits will be available with all components. But as mentioned, they will be slightly bigger speakers. He told me 2 days ago he was impressed with their sound so far and he's not completely done tweaking them yet.

There's also another small design coming out from another forum member that won 2nd place in a DIY event last year I think. They're called the 'New Horizons'.

But if I were you, I wouldn't keep waiting for the next best thing because now that I'm able to get smaller numbers ordered, these kits are going to just keep coming one after the other. The 'Swopes' are now ready and so are the floor standing 'Amigas'.

Subwoofer flat packs go up this week along with some subwoofer kits.

No worries, I have a feeling I'll be building many different speakers from you're site.
post #23 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Im lookin forward to a tower flatpack becoming available with a matching center channel. I will then use the overnight sensations for surround duty. I know that the OS are capable of LCR duty but I have always wanted a set of towers but can't afford to buy anything good and I don't have the technical know-how to build something like a pair of statements.

Subwoofers on the other hand are no problem at all as I have built many of subs at this point and have gotten good enough at it to even make some money at it.
post #24 of 24 Old 05-16-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

I have a feeling I'll be building many different speakers from you're site.

yea im happy i found the site, my wallet is not, my OS MTMs should be here soon, figured id build more if these 2 went wellm but the idea of larger speakers interests me as well as those subs
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page