AVS Forum banner

EP4000, Peavy IPR3000DSP or INUKE3000DSP?

3K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Archaea 
#1 ·
Hi:

I am on the process of DIY. The Behringer EP4000 is very popular for DIY Subs but the EPX adds RCA Inputs/Outputs in which makes easier the connection and no needs for the "Art Cleanbox"

As for the Inuke3000 I sacrifice little bit of power with the addition of DSP (CrossOver Settings, Parametric EQ, Filters, etc...) It is worthy to get Inuke 3000 DSP vs EP4000?

I will use the PA for a 15" 1000W RMS Custom HT Driver from PSI with the possibilities to add a second sub in the future to smooth the bass at my living room. Enclosure size is 19x19x22.

#2 ·
EP4000/EP2500 - A proven workhorse with a good track record.

EPX4000 - Having RCA in and outs is a plus, but is it worth $30 more when you can get 1/4 to RCA adapters for the EP4000 for $2?

iNUKE3000 - Don't know as it's too new, but I don't like the idea with added complexity in an amp. If the amp for whatever reason breaks down, you'll lose the DSP as well. IMO, a separate DSP is safer.

#3 ·
What kind of DSP works for subs less than $100. INuke3000 without DSP costs only $100 less than the DSP version. Behringer Feedback Destroyer? If so, I have one but too complex to work with. I dont know how to use it. Any other DSP? Does the eq.2 from eD is enough?

As for Inuke DSP has a program for Windows and you can manage all DSP settings in a friendly GUI (Graphics User Interface). Inuke weights ony 8 pounds; make me wonder how good it is vs EP4000 with weights nearly 40 pounds!!!

Btw, Can I use the Ep4000/Inuke3000 for my main speakers?. My AVR has preouts. Its a Denon3311Ci.

Or its too much power for mains? As for mains I have Polk RTiA7.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/0

Hi:

I am on the process of DIY. The Behringer EP4000 is very popular for DIY Subs but the EPX adds RCA Inputs/Outputs in which makes easier the connection and no needs for the "Art Cleanbox"

As for the Inuke3000 I sacrifice little bit of power with the addition of DSP (CrossOver Settings, Parametric EQ, Filters, etc...) It is worthy to get Inuke 3000 DSP vs EP4000?

I will use the PA for a 15" 1000W RMS Custom HT Driver from PSI with the possibilities to add a second sub in the future to smooth the bass at my living room. Enclosure size is 19x19x22.

Having RCA Hook ups does not determine whether or not you need an art cleanbox or not. What determines that is the output voltage from your receiver. Also Behringer is known for not having "correct" numbers when it comes to them stating their wattage. For instance the ep2500 is the same thing as the ep4000. 450-500watts @ 8 ohms and about 750 @ 4 ohms. I would think that as soon as someone does the testing on the inuke...it will be around the same. Who knows though it is still too early to tell.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlj5242
I've stepped numerous beginners through the process. Do you have MS Excel and a Radio Shack analog SPL meter?
Yes, I have Excel for Windows and for Mac. I dont have a Radio Shack analog SPL but if I have to I can buy one; which model?. I used some SPL designated for iPad and works pretty well ( not the free ones from App Store. I have one that costs $19 and works good. Developer is StudioSixDigital and the SPL model is 711RA) I can set to A or C weighted, Slow/Fast, Ranges from 30db-140db.

@Mpray. How do I know if my receiver output voltage is good or enough? I have a Denon3311CI

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpray1983
Having RCA Hook ups does not determine whether or not you need an art cleanbox or not. What determines that is the output voltage from your receiver. Also Behringer is known for not having "correct" numbers when it comes to them stating their wattage. For instance the ep2500 is the same thing as the ep4000. 450-500watts @ 8 ohms and about 750 @ 4 ohms. I would think that as soon as someone does the testing on the inuke...it will be around the same. Who knows though it is still too early to tell.
Independant testing done by a forum member shows quite a bit more power than that for the EP2500 which as you say is the same as the EP4000 for most anything but marketing purposes ---

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post10755565

The fact that you can get the EP4000 for ~$265 shipped made my decision for me.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3120604

#8 ·
The analog SPL meter has the correction values built into the spreadsheet. I find it much easier than trying to get REW set up on my PC.

Once you have that, make a test tones disc (free software) and an hour of your time. My simulated room response in the spreadsheet was dead on after I entered the values into my BFD.

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx
What kind of DSP works for subs less than $100. INuke3000 without DSP costs only $100 less than the DSP version. Behringer Feedback Destroyer? If so, I have one but too complex to work with. I dont know how to use it. Any other DSP? Does the eq.2 from eD is enough?

As for Inuke DSP has a program for Windows and you can manage all DSP settings in a friendly GUI (Graphics User Interface).
The Mini DSP will do it externally for about $60 more depending upon which option. But that has the capability of doing 4 subs if you want that many.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx
Inuke weights ony 8 pounds; make me wonder how good it is vs EP4000 with weights nearly 40 pounds!!!
The difference in weight is because it useds a clas D amp, so needs less heatsinking, and a switchmode supply, so no big iron mains transformer. If they have done a good job of both, the difference inperformance using these technologies will be minimal, and remember the amps are designed for live sound where weight can be very important, especially with a whole rack of amps. For home, it makes no difference.

Until the iNuke is proven, independently tested quantity, I'd go with the EP2k5/4k and a MiniDSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
Independant testing done by a forum member shows quite a bit more power than that for the EP2500 which as you say is the same as the EP4000 for most anything but marketing purposes ---

The link there is for the bridged mono results, not 2ch which are linked in this post.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post10689199

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea

The fact that you can get the EP4000 for ~$265 shipped made my decision for me.
http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3120604
I'm talking about 2ch as the original poster said that he would like to add a 2nd sub later on. So therefore I assumed that he would be using only one channel of the amp per sub. Which is 500watts @ 8ohms and 750 @ 4 ohms. You referring to running the amp in bridged mode which does give you more power but then that limits his ability to run a 2nd sub down the road without buying another amp.

Also even in bridged mode...you aren't getting 4000 watts out of the amp.

#13 ·
I will find out more info on that Mini DSP. If not I will take my chances and get the INuke. I can use it in bridge mode until I get the second sub. The idea of a lighter amp should be good. I have no ideaa yet where to place enclosure and amps so. Thanks for all replies.

@rlj5242. I need a crash course with the BFD. Need to know spl model and what cables shoud i need. I already have XLR Female to RCA Male and XLR Male to RCA Male cables. Just not too long. I think is 3 feet long.

#15 ·
I checked those Mini DSP, but there are lots of them. Which one is suitable for 2 sub enclosures and which plugins should we need for subwofer purposes? Also I checked those Peavy IPR Dsp models and are pretty similar to the Inukes. It adds MaxxBass and FR can go as low as 10hz while Inukes up to 20hz!

What if I want to dig deeper than 20hz; lets say 16hz then it means I cant dig lower than 20hz with Inuke?

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by javygonx /forum/post/0

I checked those Mini DSP, but there are lots of them. Which one is suitable for 2 sub enclosures and which plugins should we need for subwofer purposes? Also I checked those Peavy IPR Dsp models and are pretty similar to the Inukes. It adds MaxxBass and FR can go as low as 10hz while Inukes up to 20hz!

What if I want to dig deeper than 20hz; lets say 16hz then it means I cant dig lower than 20hz with Inuke?

The inuke will still go less than 20. I did testing an the QSC gx5 (20hz) vs ep4000 (5hz) and both charts were exactly the same

#18 ·
#19 ·
Both PA have similar specs. The Peavy mentioned it has 4 PEQ; but does not mention which frequency bands and/or filters. On the Peavy Website does not provide enough detail information of the DSP functions.

Inuke seems a more friendly device thanks to the GUI. Would be nice to see benchmarks tests between both for sub purposes!.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.