post #271 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007 View Post

I would love to see you do a build with the 8cx21! How much cheaper is the 8cx21 compared to the Beyma?

It is going to be at least $100 less per driver, probably closer to $150 less once all is said and done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

i possibily could is someone wants to model it and tell me what size box i need to cobble together

Well, After talking with the pro sound service guys yesterday, either the CXT or cx21 will do a decent job in room, and with the xo-1 crossover network. No one has really said either way which one appears to be better but the pricing on the cxt is in Matt's opinion not worth the additional cost over what the cx21 has to offer.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 282
well the title is "budget" if there is no real gain no point in spending more for no reason

post #273 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked: 660
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sibuna View Post

well the title is "budget" if there is no real gain no point in spending more for no reason
Yeah Beast!

I mean, does your wallet really Hz or what man? Freakin ballin out of control over here...

post #274 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Budget WAS when I did all 4 surrounds with the apt-50's for around $700. THAT is budget. We have just lumped the Coaxial convo into this thread and I should probably get a mod to cut the last few pages and create a new listing, as now we are technically on to the more quality and high-end options here

post #275 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Lol just start it yourself. tongue.gif

This thread is still a great resource but a new thread would be good if there is a whole new design you want to chronicle.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #276 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Patiently watching this thread...

Has the B&C 8CXN51 been considered.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-5765
post #277 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 771 Post(s)
Liked: 897
I can't wait for this build to get started.
post #278 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Liked: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

It is going to be at least $100 less per driver, probably closer to $150 less once all is said and done.
Well, After talking with the pro sound service guys yesterday, either the CXT or cx21 will do a decent job in room, and with the xo-1 crossover network. No one has really said either way which one appears to be better but the pricing on the cxt is in Matt's opinion not worth the additional cost over what the cx21 has to offer.

I've tested the CD used on the back of the CX21 a couple years ago and it wasn't very good. Maybe the one I got had issues, or maybe they've changed something in them since.

Twelve 10" NHT subwoofer build.
Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #279 of 909 Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to mention that two prototype screw on compression drivers might be heading my way with the poly diaphragms. The only bad thing is that the samples have the neo magnet which would increase their cost. But a good screw on CD a poly diaphragm would likely sound really good, even on a cheaper woofer. So in the end, the price might all level out, and still have a better sounding coaxial. I haven't been able to find a nice screw on model of the DE250 or similar CD. But I do have some interesting adapters coming that might work okay.

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #280 of 909 Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 103
A screw on DE250 would be great. Interested to see the adaptors. Having DE250's in all 7 speakers is appealing.

Varibus Mari Victoria
post #281 of 909 Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDean View Post

Patiently watching this thread...

Has the B&C 8CXN51 been considered.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=294-5765

yes it has, and is intriguing, but at least from my standpoint, if you get to that unit, you are basically deciding between that and the Beyma from a cost standpoint, and the Beyma won out in my case. It looks like a killer option however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I've tested the CD used on the back of the CX21 a couple years ago and it wasn't very good. Maybe the one I got had issues, or maybe they've changed something in them since.

That is something that made me a little nervous with actually both the cx21 and the cxt as their graphs don't look all that incredible to start with, and additional XO work would be needed to really massage them into a good option, but hey, if they are good enough for Mark Seaton, it is kind of hard to deny them as a possibility.

Quote:

I forgot to mention that two prototype screw on compression drivers might be heading my way with the poly diaphragms. The only bad thing is that the samples have the neo magnet which would increase their cost. But a good screw on CD a poly diaphragm would likely sound really good, even on a cheaper woofer. So in the end, the price might all level out, and still have a better sounding coaxial. I haven't been able to find a nice screw on model of the DE250 or similar CD. But I do have some interesting adapters coming that might work okay.

I am actually 100% for the neo design as I think most would be wall mounting these and the additional weight saved by going that route would be substantial. the screw on options would actually be a killer plan to mate back with the eminenece 10 or 8 coax. A custom XO would be necessary in either case.

post #282 of 909 Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

So beast, are you still trying to build something similar in size and performance to Slant 8's?
post #283 of 909 Old 09-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So beast, are you still trying to build something similar in size and performance to Slant 8's?

Sort of. I think a nice surround design that we can all agree on wrt price/performance is the overall goal. The Slant8 is a rather well received and performing surround that is also compact. It does, however, have a fairly steep price @ $1,000 per speaker. eek.gif When you need at least four of them.... ouch.

Quote:

I would also opt for neo motors (as long as we aren't talking crazy prices) as the weight saved would be very welcome for a compact surround.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

- direct pod link

- main website

post #284 of 909 Old 09-14-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Scott beat me to it, but yes, even with the Beyma's your cost savings are going to be substantial from the s8's but the performance we are going to be getting out of them will be on par if not hopefully better. I know Jeff has done a lot of work to get the s8's to where they are, but after some trial and error, I think we can have something really special here.

post #285 of 909 Old 09-14-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Scott beat me to it, but yes, even with the Beyma's your cost savings are going to be substantial from the s8's but the performance we are going to be getting out of them will be on par if not hopefully better. I know Jeff has done a lot of work to get the s8's to where they are, but after some trial and error, I think we can have something really special here.

Man O man, if that's the case sign me up!!! seriously now I really can't wait to see this project get going. I was seriously thinking about getting two pairs of Slant 8's, but its hard to swallow the $3600 it would cost for them! And I still want to add a Orbit Shifter ULF to my setup.
post #286 of 909 Old 09-14-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Which Beyma are we talking about here?
post #287 of 909 Old 09-14-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Which Beyma are we talking about here?

The cx300nd with either a custom XO from anyone that wants to help out. Matt said he would get something together but his time is quite limited these days so I don't want to over-burden him. I am also going to scoop a pair of the stock XO's that are built specific to this specific coax and see how they measure as well.

post #288 of 909 Old 09-25-2013, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Any updates?
post #289 of 909 Old 09-26-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Pending updates here.....Jeez Stumbo, you two-ferd me!! lol
Stumbo likes this.

post #290 of 909 Old 09-26-2013, 08:53 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Subscribed. I've also been looking at the Slant8s and would love something like this. That means more money to put toward Noesis 212s over the 228s! biggrin.gif

Kevin

What I'm planning for an

post #291 of 909 Old 09-26-2013, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

I forgot to order the 10" coaxial from Eminence to test the big BA-750 driver on the back. I have some samples of those with screw on plate that might do pretty good.

Does anyone have a new 10" Eminence coaxial to test?

Cloning of a NHT VR-3.
2 ACI 15" subwoofers.

post #292 of 909 Old 09-26-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

If not, I will send you one once I get the Beyma's in. If you want.

post #293 of 909 Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

So are these surrounds going to use a 8" or 10" driver?

I'm hoping these wont really be any larger then JTR Slant 8's.
post #294 of 909 Old 09-27-2013, 04:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 159
So is the final design going to be using the Beyma CX300ND? That coaxial driver is over $300 each. Wish we could do a similar build with a marginally less expensive driver!

Are you guys going to be using a woofer with this design? I see in the Beyma's specs, it can go down to 40hz, but I am unsure if that is accurate as sometimes manufactures inflate their specs.
post #295 of 909 Old 09-27-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:

Wish we could do a similar build with a marginally less expensive driver!

What is stopping you? tongue.gif

post #296 of 909 Old 09-27-2013, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Gorilla, I am trying to find an existing design that uses a decent, yet budget coax driver that has an enclosure and crossover already designed for me to copy. I am not quite capable enough, when it comes to crossovers, to design my own.

But....

What I might end up doing is purchasing a coax driver that has a pre-built passive crossover already available. I know of course that this is not the optimal way of doing things, but for surround duty, it will suffice!

Can you, or anyone else suggest a coax driver that is under $200 each that also has a pre-designed crossover also available? Perhaps something from B&C? Fatail? Beyma? Eminence? ect...?
post #297 of 909 Old 09-27-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

So are these surrounds going to use a 8" or 10" driver?

I'm hoping these wont really be any larger then JTR Slant 8's.

That is the objective, to match the size, or around the size of the slant 8's but with a little different box.

Quote:

So is the final design going to be using the Beyma CX300ND? That coaxial driver is over $300 each. Wish we could do a similar build with a marginally less expensive driver!

Are you guys going to be using a woofer with this design? I see in the Beyma's specs, it can go down to 40hz, but I am unsure if that is accurate as sometimes manufactures inflate their specs.

It won't be good to 40hz, if you want good spl out of it. The aim is 80hz f3.

Quote:

Gorilla, I am trying to find an existing design that uses a decent, yet budget coax driver that has an enclosure and crossover already designed for me to copy. I am not quite capable enough, when it comes to crossovers, to design my own.

But....

What I might end up doing is purchasing a coax driver that has a pre-built passive crossover already available. I know of course that this is not the optimal way of doing things, but for surround duty, it will suffice!

Can you, or anyone else suggest a coax driver that is under $200 each that also has a pre-designed crossover also available? Perhaps something from B&C? Fatail? Beyma? Eminence? ect...?

Perhaps you should read through the first 4 pages of the thread, as that is exactly what the eminence coax is: A cheap 10" coaxial speaker with a stock crossover you can buy straight from PE. I basically built all 4 for less than $800 including wood. PE even has a newer crossover that works with a different compression driver. Just do these three components and start building:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-525

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-636

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=290-502

post #298 of 909 Old 09-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Bass Enabler

Quote:

But....

smile.gif

Definitely RE-read the first few pages. wink.gif

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

post #299 of 909 Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok so I went back and read 90% of this entire thread, and I plan to build 4 of these coax surrounds, and will likely order all the parts today....

, BUT, with regards to the original design using the APT-50 with the 10" Eminence coax and the stock Eminence crossover....how does that combo differ from the Eminence ASD-1001 CD with that other crossover that Beast linked to a couple of post above? Would the ASD1001 be better than the APT150?

Also, with regards to the build using the Eminence Beta-10CX coax with the Selenium D220ti CD, is there a crossover diagram or an existing XO that I can copy or purchase an off the shelf version?
post #300 of 909 Old 09-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Bass Enabler

I bet you could get away with using one of those stock Eminence ones that you mentioned and that Brandon started with and use the Selenium. It wouldn't be optimal but no stock crossover ever will be. Though it could get you most of the way there.

Otherwise you'll have to build the crossover that B did and I think there is a link for it somewhere in this thread. redface.gif

EDIT: Here we go...
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsloms View Post

Here is the diagram for the one that Zilch designed. I'm sure that someone local should be able to make one up for you. Heck even I would make you a pair and ship them to you!

I have no doubts that after using several Ewave XO's myself that this XO will be much better than a generic XO from Eminence.
LL

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

- direct pod link

- main website

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page