Budget Eminence Coaxial surround build!!! - Page 28 - AVS Forum
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last
DIY Speakers and Subs > Budget Eminence Coaxial surround build!!!
beastaudio's Avatar beastaudio 07:15 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post

I'll believe when your FINALLY finished your current sub built and then the surrounds with custom crossovers! biggrin.gif

Until then I don't believe a single word you say!..lol tongue.gif

Oh but I am ever so close smile.gif

jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:20 AM 03-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Oh but I am ever so close smile.gif

Close only counts with horse shoes and hand grenades biggrin.gif
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 11:20 PM 03-09-2014
Can anyone confirm if I'm correct in wiring for the volt V10? When I first hooked up the coax only the woofer was playing then later after securing the connections only the tweeter would play and I never got the woofer to play unless I went directly to the terminals on the woofer bypassing the xover.
mhutchins's Avatar mhutchins 11:54 PM 03-09-2014
Yes, that's correct!

Put some hot glue on the components and it's good to go into the enclosure. You might want to drill out the mounting screw holes first to make it a little easier to run the screws through the PCB...
Mrkazador's Avatar Mrkazador 11:56 PM 03-09-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpmbc View Post

Can anyone confirm if I'm correct in wiring for the volt V10? When I first hooked up the coax only the woofer was playing then later after securing the connections only the tweeter would play and I never got the woofer to play unless I went directly to the terminals on the woofer bypassing the xover.

 

Can you post a picture from the bottom of the board?


d_c's Avatar d_c 11:58 PM 03-09-2014
That's strange. It would either be an issue with your soldered joints or on of the xo components. Sounds like both of your drivers function, so that leaves the xo. Did you try the other xo with the drivers yet?
gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 12:16 AM 03-10-2014
This is the only board I've tried.

mhutchins's Avatar mhutchins 12:30 AM 03-10-2014
Try soldering the input wires to the board and retest. If that fails, re-solder each of the components and retest. If that fails, build the other board and see what happens. If that fails, get some local help... tongue.gif
Mrkazador's Avatar Mrkazador 01:10 AM 03-10-2014

Looks like you have some bad/cold solder joints that need to be redone. I just noticed you have not soldered any input wires to the board so how did you test it?


gpmbc's Avatar gpmbc 07:53 AM 03-10-2014
Thx for the input, I'll do some resoldering. I unplugged one of my satellite speakers and fed the bare speaker wire through the board for testing making sure it had contact underneath. I got sound, just not mids/high simultaneously.
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 10:08 PM 03-16-2014
I finally got the angled surround sound boxes up last week. If anyone already has one of the kits, their baffle obviously wouldn't fit the new surround sound flat pack.




8" ported:



10" sealed:


jbrown15's Avatar jbrown15 10:14 PM 03-16-2014
Sweet, now I just need to wait to hear more about these "new" higher end 8" coax's you keep talking about and teasing us with the occasional picture!..lol
Martycool007's Avatar Martycool007 05:15 AM 03-17-2014
Are the angled boxes available separately? I already have a few drivers, and would really like to purchase the enclosures separately. Also, are there any assembled crossovers available for the V10 or V8?
dwaleke 07:59 AM 03-17-2014
The volts v10 came with pcbs for the crossover. If assembled are not an option it's not that hard to put the pieces in place and drop some solder on the back. First time I did it and took about 10 minutes each one.
mhutchins's Avatar mhutchins 09:37 AM 03-17-2014
Hey Erich,

Those enclosures look great!! Did you change the lower roundover? From the side view it does not appear to have any overhang.

Mike
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 10:29 AM 03-17-2014
The roundover bit size was increased so most of the overhang is gone. You can see that there's just a little bit there. But after gluing it up and putting it on the wall, you can't see anything. That's if you didn't want to do any additional sanding.
mynym's Avatar mynym 06:24 PM 03-17-2014
Anyone running these coaxial's as a center channel? How do they compare/contrast to a center that has a waveguide? Any Pros/Cons?
popalock's Avatar popalock 07:52 PM 03-17-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

I finally got the angled surround sound boxes up last week. If anyone already has one of the kits, their baffle obviously wouldn't fit the new surround sound flat pack.

8" ported:

10" sealed:

Looks absolutely outstanding Erich!
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 08:01 PM 03-17-2014
Hopefully they work out okay for everyone. It would have been nice to come in just a bit cheaper than $28 but these use the higher refined MDF that's also Carb 2 compliant, and they used a human being to do the miters which adds a bit. Figure a packaging box, packaging material, and Paypal fee, it can't go too much lower I guess.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure of the end price because I was just told they'd be around $24 - $25. $1 Paypal, $2-$3 packaging material. I'll know better when I get the bill. rolleyes.gif
Linh27's Avatar Linh27 10:42 PM 03-17-2014
I will be gladly to pay $30+ each for this. the time is save me from having to pull out my table saw, router, etc. is well worth 30 bucks. not to mention I have to go buy the material. Can you do assemble crossover for the v8 and v10? like you do for the fusion.
emr25's Avatar emr25 09:26 AM 03-18-2014
Is there a consensus on the preference between the Volt V8 and V10 for surround sound duty?

I really like the looks and price of the new slanted flat packs paired with the Volt speaker kits. They would be the surround channels in a 5.1 setup along with JTR 228HT LCRs and a JTR Cap S2. LCRs driven by a Sherbourn PA 7-350 and the two Volt surrounds would be powered by the Denon X4000.

If you were choosing between the V8 (ported) and V10 (sealed) for surround speakers, which would you choose?
dwaleke 10:48 AM 03-18-2014
I chose v10. 10" will have more output over 8" and it's the same size box.
raynist's Avatar raynist 11:22 AM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

Is there a consensus on the preference between the Volt V8 and V10 for surround sound duty?

I really like the looks and price of the new slanted flat packs paired with the Volt speaker kits. They would be the surround channels in a 5.1 setup along with JTR 228HT LCRs and a JTR Cap S2. LCRs driven by a Sherbourn PA 7-350 and the two Volt surrounds would be powered by the Denon X4000.

If you were choosing between the V8 (ported) and V10 (sealed) for surround speakers, which would you choose?

I have the V-8's as my surrounds with 228's and 3 triax's they sound great!! May build 5 more for another system.
Erich H's Avatar Erich H 11:32 AM 03-18-2014
Guys, you should put up a review on the site so at least the designer knows they did a good job. smile.gif That always helps others too.
raynist's Avatar raynist 12:18 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post

Guys, you should put up a review on the site so at least the designer knows they did a good job. smile.gif That always helps others too.

I did smile.gif

I think I am the only one!
popalock's Avatar popalock 12:33 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by emr25 View Post

Is there a consensus on the preference between the Volt V8 and V10 for surround sound duty?

I really like the looks and price of the new slanted flat packs paired with the Volt speaker kits. They would be the surround channels in a 5.1 setup along with JTR 228HT LCRs and a JTR Cap S2. LCRs driven by a Sherbourn PA 7-350 and the two Volt surrounds would be powered by the Denon X4000.

If you were choosing between the V8 (ported) and V10 (sealed) for surround speakers, which would you choose?

They will be so close, I venture no one would be able to really tell the difference.

Meh.... Just buy two pairs of each and let us know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

I chose v10. 10" will have more output over 8" and it's the same size box.

Same power handling.

Same CD.

Sensitivity of the V8 is 94db and the V10 is 95db.

FR of the ported V8 is even better than the sealed V10.

Unless Matt put a lil' extra secret sauce on the V10, SERIOUSLY doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.

That means...you would be happy either direction you took.

Unless you wanted to go with the ported 10, which digs down in the 50Hz range... That seems like a distinct performance advantage, but would it really be realized? I'm sure most around these parts are cossing their surrounds at around 80Hz or so.
raynist's Avatar raynist 12:38 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

I chose v10. 10" will have more output over 8" and it's the same size box.

Will the sealed 10 have more output? The freq response of the sealed 10 is 5hz higher than the ported 8 however the 10 is one db more sensitive.

Erich, are there ported regular boxes for the 10 yet? I really like the look of the boxes for the v-8 over the 10 as they don't look like square boxes. Something like the v-8 center channel box with the ports on top and bottom would be nice so that it would have a lower profile when sat on its side as a center.

EDIT: I see popalock beat me to it. Anyways, Audyssey has always set my cross overs to 60hz for my ported V-8's.
dwaleke 02:33 PM 03-18-2014
On the low end the V8 ported might dig a tiny bit deeper. Last time I measured with REW I thought the V10 blended just fine with my subs with a 80hz crossover. I'll have to check later.

I vaguely remember reading that Erich requested some tweaks be made on the V8 at the top end. The V10 just naturally came together and the V8 needed a bit more work. Someone even commented on it being a bit bright? I can't remember honestly. Erich will have to comment and clarify on this.

I saw measurement graphs posted somewhere at one point of the V8 and V10 sealed and the V10 looked great so I just went with the V10 sealed option.
raynist's Avatar raynist 02:43 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post

On the low end the V8 ported might dig a tiny bit deeper. Last time I measured with REW I thought the V10 blended just fine with my subs with a 80hz crossover. I'll have to check later.

I vaguely remember reading that Erich requested some tweaks be made on the V8 at the top end. The V10 just naturally came together and the V8 needed a bit more work. Someone even commented on it being a bit bright? I can't remember honestly. Erich will have to comment and clarify on this.

I saw measurement graphs posted somewhere at one point of the V8 and V10 sealed and the V10 looked great so I just went with the V10 sealed option.

I believe the original issue with the V8 (maybe both if they use the same xo assembly) was that the xo design cut the highs too much. There was a xo redesign that fixed this.

I may go with the 10's for the next build if they come out with a ported flat pack.
emr25's Avatar emr25 02:46 PM 03-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post

They will be so close, I venture no one would be able to really tell the difference.

Meh.... Just buy two pairs of each and let us know.
Same power handling.

Same CD.

Sensitivity of the V8 is 94db and the V10 is 95db.

FR of the ported V8 is even better than the sealed V10.

Unless Matt put a lil' extra secret sauce on the V10, SERIOUSLY doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference.

That means...you would be happy either direction you took.

Unless you wanted to go with the ported 10, which digs down in the 50Hz range... That seems like a distinct performance advantage, but would it really be realized? I'm sure most around these parts are cossing their surrounds at around 80Hz or so.

All good points, I think the I like the sealed V10 better with the slanted enclosures. Considering I can have a finished product (including a trial order of Duratex) for ~$400 for a pair, I see these in the very near future for me. Watching movies with a 3.1 setup of 228HTs and Cap S2 is awesome, but the surround effect will take it to the next level.

After that, I will probably delve into the world of measurements, treatments, and tweaking...
First ... 26  27  28 29  30  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop