post #901 of 1031 Old 09-28-2014, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by action_jackson View Post
I finished the Volt 10s this weekend and have got them hung. They sound great!
Damn. Those look good! I can't wait for Erich to get them back in stock!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 1031 Old 09-29-2014, 06:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
Damn. Those look good! I can't wait for Erich to get them back in stock!
Thanks!

I watched a few movies on it today and am thoroughly impressed. They sound so much better than the Polk monitor 30s that they replaced. For some reason YPAO set the crossover at 140Hz, I thought that sounded a little high. It also set all my speakers except the rear surround as large, I changed them all to small but I found it odd that the rears were not set large since they are the same as the side surrounds.

I am getting a Behringer USB audio interface tomorrow and plan to run REW somethime this week to get some readings. I know my mains -3 is around 35Hz, not sure about the center though it should be good well below 140Hz. Maybe REW will give me some answers.

Epson Home Cinema 3010 Projector____Paradigm 9SE MK II Main LR
Yamaha RX-V667 AVR_______________Paradigm CC-270 V.3 Center
Emotiva UPA-5 Amplifier______________Dual Stereo Integrity 18" Infinite Baffle
Sony BDP-570 Blu Ray_______________DIY Sound Group Volt 10
post #903 of 1031 Old 09-29-2014, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

I watched a few movies on it today and am thoroughly impressed. They sound so much better than the Polk monitor 30s that they replaced. For some reason YPAO set the crossover at 140Hz, I thought that sounded a little high. It also set all my speakers except the rear surround as large, I changed them all to small but I found it odd that the rears were not set large since they are the same as the side surrounds.

I am getting a Behringer USB audio interface tomorrow and plan to run REW somethime this week to get some readings. I know my mains -3 is around 35Hz, not sure about the center though it should be good well below 140Hz. Maybe REW will give me some answers.
makes me even more excited.. the monitor 30's are EXACTLY what I'm replacing... so excited to get my surrounds up to speed with my mains
post #904 of 1031 Old 09-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
makes me even more excited.. the monitor 30's are EXACTLY what I'm replacing... so excited to get my surrounds up to speed with my mains
I'm seriously thinking about getting three more for the front. Maybe by the time they come back in stock I will have enough money.

post #905 of 1031 Old 09-29-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
I finished the Volt 10s this weekend and have got them hung. They sound great!
Those drivers look so blue in pictures!

Thankfully they don't look like that in person. I colored mine in with a sharpie though.

I now have 4 volt 8's as surrounds in slanted boxes and 3 more as LCR's in a different system.
post #906 of 1031 Old 09-29-2014, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
Those drivers look so blue in pictures!

Thankfully they don't look like that in person. I colored mine in with a sharpie though.

I now have 4 volt 8's as surrounds in slanted boxes and 3 more as LCR's in a different system.
Yeah, they don't look as blue in person, especially when the lights are dim. I still plan on making some grills this weekend to cover them up though. Hopefully the grills will look right, they probably would have looked better if the baffle would have been flat instead of rounded. I'm trying to figure a good way to match them up and not look too out of place.

post #907 of 1031 Old 09-29-2014, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking about getting three more for the front. Maybe by the time they come back in stock I will have enough money.
wow, they sound that good as mains huh? they're nice and compact for sure... I'd be tempted to hang them as bedroom mains as I doubt they would beat my Cheap Thrill mains
post #908 of 1031 Old 09-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Working on this for myself but thought I'd share. I'm going to make three for LCR fronts Ported looks the way to go for an 80hz XO.

Edit: just noticed that port resonance... More work needed on port size BRB
Edit2: that's better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transfer.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	287945   Click image for larger version

Name:	spl.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	287953   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hp.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	287961   Click image for larger version

Name:	portfix.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	158.1 KB
ID:	287993  

Last edited by Billy Boden; 09-30-2014 at 03:25 PM.
post #909 of 1031 Old 10-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Thanks!

Quote:
Mine are also replacing the Monitor 30's that I had for surrounds. Until I can build my 10-99 fronts, my Volt 10's have been my mains for several months now. They do a great job and I cant wait to hear how they do as surrounds!
post #910 of 1031 Old 10-26-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Has anyone looked into the Radian 15" coaxial drivers w/ beryllium diaphragm? I went to their websight after reading about the new Reaction Audio speakers that use a 15" Radian coaxial. USA Speakers has the beryllium model for $850, or $1150 for the neo version.

Would not be a low cost project. But I am thinking it could be pretty cool. If designed to crossover to subs and not be full range it may be possible to design a small enclosure for the LCR'S. I guess I need to enter the T/S parameters into winISD and start playing.
post #911 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
I looked at it too. Nice looking driver, with some pretty good looking numbers. Just don't have the coin to drop on a pair at this point

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #912 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
Has anyone looked into the Radian 15" coaxial drivers w/ beryllium diaphragm? I went to their websight after reading about the new Reaction Audio speakers that use a 15" Radian coaxial. USA Speakers has the beryllium model for $850, or $1150 for the neo version.

Would not be a low cost project. But I am thinking it could be pretty cool. If designed to crossover to subs and not be full range it may be possible to design a small enclosure for the LCR'S. I guess I need to enter the T/S parameters into winISD and start playing.

I can tell you the Radian 15" coax drivers are VERY impressive! Actually I think most were shocked by it at the GTG that I hosted this past Saturday. I have also talked with Jeremy about the beryllium diaphragm and he's not really sure it's worth the price difference over the standard aluminum one. But who know I may still try one out in the CX-15's that I think I'm keeping
post #913 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
I looked at it too. Nice looking driver, with some pretty good looking numbers. Just don't have the coin to drop on a pair at this point
To bad we are not multimillionaire so we could buy and try everything that catches our eye. But if we were we wouldn't be likely to care about DIY.

I am thinking hard about what system I am going to put together in celebration of retiring from the Navy. No need for a great system when I move every couple of years. A set of LCR's using the 15" Be drivers, 4 12" non-Be version for surrounds, and 4 8" for Atmos would likely be pretty killer. I priced it at around $5.5K for just the drivers. But for 11 speakers that's pretty good.

I did notice that the 12" model starts with 53 vice 52 for the 15" & 12" models. I assume they are updating the line.

Last edited by NWCgrad; 10-27-2014 at 12:01 PM.
post #914 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown15 View Post
I can tell you the Radian 15" coax drivers are VERY impressive! Actually I think most were shocked by it at the GTG that I hosted this past Saturday. I have also talked with Jeremy about the beryllium diaphragm and he's not really sure it's worth the price difference over the standard aluminum one. But who know I may still try one out in the CX-15's that I think I'm keeping
It does look like the diaphragm would just be a drop in replacement as the coaxial drivers w/ and w/o the Be diaphragm have the same model number. I keep hearing such good things about Be.

I can see why Jeremy wouldn't put them in his model, adds a significant cost for what is probably a modest return. Not as big of deal when going DIY.

Thanks again for bringing Reaction Audio to greater visibility! Seems like a great company.
post #915 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWCgrad View Post
It does look like the diaphragm would just be a drop in replacement as the coaxial drivers w/ and w/o the Be diaphragm have the same model number. I keep hearing such good things about Be.

I can see why Jeremy wouldn't put them in his model, adds a significant cost for what is probably a modest return. Not as big of deal when going DIY.

Thanks again for bringing Reaction Audio to greater visibility! Seems like a great company.
We can do the BE diaphragms for a little up-charge on any of the speakers.
I can tell you that it adds cost for a very small amount of sonic difference.

That NEO magnets will not deliver much in the way of audible performance in this particular case.
They are added much for pro audio use in the Radian line to save weight in large installs and where speakers are constantly being moved.

Jeremy
Reaction Audio Subwoofers

post #916 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 336
I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon here as well. Moving up to Atmos and will be adding 4 Volt 10's to side and rear surrounds to replace my QS8's, with 4 Volt 10's in the ceiling. Matt says these spec out really well as an IB so I'll be semi flushing these into my tiered ceiling.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #917 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post
I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon here as well. Moving up to Atmos and will be adding 4 Volt 10's to side and rear surrounds to replace my QS8's, with 4 Volt 10's in the ceiling. Matt says these spec out really well as an IB so I'll be semi flushing these into my tiered ceiling.
Nice! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Volt 10's in IB. Will the crossover have to be changed when used in an IB instead of a sealed enclosure or will you use the stock crossover?

post #918 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nice! Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the Volt 10's in IB. Will the crossover have to be changed when used in an IB instead of a sealed enclosure or will you use the stock crossover?
I believe it's a different crossover for a couple reasons. Matt could probably better answer this. I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get them up and running. It will probably be a couple months before everything is completed.

Achievement Unlocked

post #919 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 03:35 PM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1118 Post(s)
Liked: 1156
Quote:

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #920 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott, you're a man of few words who always gets the point across.

Achievement Unlocked

post #921 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 03:45 PM
Bass Enabler

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

post #922 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I believe it's a different crossover for a couple reasons. Matt could probably better answer this. I'll be sure to post my impressions when I get them up and running. It will probably be a couple months before everything is completed.
It's going to be a while before I can go atmos anyway, unless I finally get that promotion at work that is way overdue.

post #923 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 04:32 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
It shouldn't need any updates just for IB installation but if there is any BSC used in his crossover then that might be what needs a new crossover for. I sort of doubt it and figured these were BSC-free or very little use of it.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #924 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Simonian View Post
It shouldn't need any updates just for IB installation but if there is any BSC used in his crossover then that might be what needs a new crossover for. I sort of doubt it and figured these were BSC-free or very little use of it.
I thought there was a notch built into the crossover on these due to being used in a ceiling installation slated for Atmos use.

Achievement Unlocked

post #925 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
I thought there was a notch built into the crossover on these due to being used in a ceiling installation slated for Atmos use.
Nah, man. That notch does not need to be there for actual ceiling speakers. It is integrated for those that are doing the "Dolby-enabled" reflective type speakers which you are not.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #926 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nah, man. That notch does not need to be there for actual ceiling speakers. It is integrated for those that are doing the "Dolby-enabled" reflective type speakers which you are not.
Cool. I thought I read they recommended adjusting the crossover for overheads as well.

Achievement Unlocked

post #927 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 04:56 PM
Bass Enabler

Quote:
Cool. I thought I read they recommended adjusting the crossover for overheads as well.
Nope. They should be treated the same as any other surround speaker.

You are making the wisest decision by making all of your surrounds and heights identical. Your situation is ideal hence my many praises.

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

post #928 of 1031 Old 10-27-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Nope. They should be treated the same as any other surround speaker.

You are making the wisest decision by making all of your surrounds and heights identical. Your situation is ideal hence my many praises.
Scott praises are like pregnant Unicorns. I am honored.

I'm really excited to have a complete DIY setup. I'm bummed that I am going to be removing my FH's as there was quite a bit of money and time tied up into them. In the end I think 4 ceiling speakers will be better than 2 tops with 2 heights. I'll have to see what other project I can end up using the TD6's for.

Achievement Unlocked

post #929 of 1031 Old 10-28-2014, 11:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the dispersion pattern of the 10x? Just want to make sure it will work for Atmos overhead install before ordering these.

Achievement Unlocked

post #930 of 1031 Old 10-29-2014, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Say No to Auto EQ

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked: 1033
Almost positive it is 90 degrees, but it could be 100.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page