Budget Eminence Coaxial surround build!!! - Page 35 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 39Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1021 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,982
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Back when I helped with the big MFW-15 group buy they gave me a tour of the factory. It was pretty neat. Like Billy said, Eminence is a really nice company to deal with and I've had nothing but good experiences with them.

Oh, and they do a good job loading pallets of woofers.....even into dump trucks!

_______________________
The SEOS Waveguide Project
Erich H is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1022 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member
 
Billy Boden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lexington Ky
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
av science sales 5 is actually it. Or Mike Garrett (but who uses real names around here anyways, Billy).
I think Mike is in Rochester NY but I'll ask. (Billy is a nickname because I spend too much time in the mountains climbing around on rocks)

edit: Nope, he's in KY.

Where are you in NC? I am from Brevard NC.

Jason

Last edited by Billy Boden; 01-08-2015 at 08:53 AM.
Billy Boden is offline  
post #1023 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 09:21 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 9,866
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1484 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boden View Post
I think Mike is in Rochester NY but I'll ask. (Billy is a nickname because I spend too much time in the mountains climbing around on rocks)

edit: Nope, he's in KY.

Where are you in NC? I am from Brevard NC.

Jason
I am about 2 hours and 45 minutes away from you.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #1024 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,976
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boden View Post
I think Mike is in Rochester NY but I'll ask. (Billy is a nickname because I spend too much time in the mountains climbing around on rocks)

edit: Nope, he's in KY.

Where are you in NC? I am from Brevard NC.

Jason
Just right down the road in good ole Asheville! You should come by next time you are home for a visit!

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #1025 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member
 
Billy Boden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lexington Ky
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Just right down the road in good ole Asheville! You should come by next time you are home for a visit!
Will do. My cousins live in Asheville and a good number of my friends from high school.
Billy Boden is offline  
post #1026 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
Billy Boden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lexington Ky
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
That is cool about going on the factory tour. Is that something anyone can do or did you get an invite?
Anthony just got back with me he said:

"Anyone can request a factory tour. We just have to find a date and time that works. Just have them email me."

You can find his email here: http://www.eminence.com/contact/
Billy Boden is offline  
post #1027 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,976
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Boden View Post
Will do. My cousins live in Asheville and a good number of my friends from high school.
Very cool. Just shoot me a PM or something next time you are this way. We can grab a brew or do a demo! Either works for me dude
chrapladm and Billy Boden like this.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #1028 of 1048 Old 01-08-2015, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Ericglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Just below the US in South Florida
Posts: 6,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah that is him.

Not sure what he is running for speakers right now. He is/was getting a custom speaker designed for him. I forgot to ask him what he was going to use for Atmos in ceiling. Of course, he may have told me, but I forgot.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!


My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
Ericglo is offline  
post #1029 of 1048 Old 01-09-2015, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz
 
beastaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Western NC
Posts: 8,976
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1500 Post(s)
Liked: 1245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
Yeah that is him.

Not sure what he is running for speakers right now. He is/was getting a custom speaker designed for him. I forgot to ask him what he was going to use for Atmos in ceiling. Of course, he may have told me, but I forgot.
He's running active now with the Beyma tpl-150H horn loaded ribbon along with I believe the ae td12m mid and 18H midbass. I know he has been extremely impressed with the 150 and I have been ITCHING to play around with some...Maybe one day

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

 

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

 

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

beastaudio is online now  
post #1030 of 1048 Old 01-13-2015, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
Billy Boden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Lexington Ky
Posts: 714
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 214
New build for my dad.

Probably do a build thread for these with a step by step.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0304.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	476594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0319.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	476602  
Billy Boden is offline  
post #1031 of 1048 Old 01-22-2015, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 324
The XO's for my build have been designed (thanks @mtg90 ) and progress on the build should be coming soon.
Billy Boden likes this.

_____________________________________________
Mostly DIY Home Theater Space - In progress
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #1032 of 1048 Old 02-01-2015, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mtg90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Millbrook, IL
Posts: 1,052
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 316
Here is a link to a design page for the design I did for NWCgrad,

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/forum/i...hp?topic=506.0
NWCgrad likes this.
mtg90 is online now  
post #1033 of 1048 Old 02-01-2015, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Thanks again Matt! I cannot wait to get the four surrounds built and in play.

--Steve

_____________________________________________
Mostly DIY Home Theater Space - In progress
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #1034 of 1048 Old 02-01-2015, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member
 
michaelddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I just spent the last 90 minutes reading this entire thread and checking out applicable linked pages. What a wealth of information here! I'm sold on the Volts for surround duty; question is which one? The 8 or the 10? Due to needing a ported enclosure, the box for the 8 is almost the same size as the 10. No WAF concerns with that...just an observation.
michaelddd is offline  
post #1035 of 1048 Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,386
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
I just spent the last 90 minutes reading this entire thread and checking out applicable linked pages. What a wealth of information here! I'm sold on the Volts for surround duty; question is which one? The 8 or the 10? Due to needing a ported enclosure, the box for the 8 is almost the same size as the 10. No WAF concerns with that...just an observation.
Hummm... 90min / 1034 posts = 689.33 post per hour
= 11.638 post per min
= 5.155 seconds per post.

That is assuming that you worked at 100% efficiency, which (we all know) isn't possible...

So, I call bull$hit.

Replace "reading" with "skimming" and I'll believe you.

^Science....Boom....

Last edited by popalock; 02-02-2015 at 09:25 AM.
popalock is offline  
post #1036 of 1048 Old 02-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
mhutchins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 516
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelddd View Post
...I'm sold on the Volts for surround duty; question is which one? The 8 or the 10? Due to needing a ported enclosure, the box for the 8 is almost the same size as the 10. No WAF concerns with that...just an observation.
I've got four Volt 10s for surround duty and I have been very happy. If I were buying today, I would go for the new Volt 10LX and run them sealed like my current Volts. Its amazing how quickly these speakers evolve and improve.

Great job Erich and all of your very skilled designers!!

Mike
mhutchins is offline  
post #1037 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
popalock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 4,386
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked: 1211
Send a message via Skype™ to popalock
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Hummm... 90min / 1034 posts = 689.33 post per hour
= 11.638 post per min
= 5.155 seconds per post.

That is assuming that you worked at 100% efficiency, which (we all know) isn't possible...

So, I call bull$hit.

Repleace "reading" with "skimming" and I'll believe you.

^Science....Boom....
Now that my buzz has wore off from the Superbowl... I see I forgot to add something to my post above...

There...fixed.
popalock is offline  
post #1038 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 06:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 204
So many options. So little info on differences. Any thoughts on how to decide?

Volt 8
Volt 10
Volt 10LX
Concentric 8
Reaction CX-8
rcohen is offline  
post #1039 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,982
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 974
If they are for surrounds you probably won't notice a huge difference because they're all good. It's only if you want to get crazy would you step up to the Concentric-8.

The Volt-10LX will eventually just replace the Volt-10.

_______________________
The SEOS Waveguide Project
Erich H is online now  
post #1040 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rcohen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,802
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
If they are for surrounds you probably won't notice a huge difference because they're all good. It's only if you want to get crazy would you step up to the Concentric-8.

The Volt-10LX will eventually just replace the Volt-10.
Thanks for the answer!

Yes, for surrounds.
What is the advantage of the Concentric-8?
Sorry, I'm having a hard time finding info, other than easier assembly (which is nice).

My mains are JTR 212HTs, and it would be nice to find some coax surrounds for a nice price that can keep up with them better than my current surrounds.
rcohen is offline  
post #1041 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
NWCgrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Posts: 1,503
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked: 324
I started a separate build thread now that all the parts and pieces have started to congeal.
NWCgrad's 10” coaxial collaborative design


Thanks @beastaudio for the impetuous for the build and the valuable inputs on our PM's and phone calls. Sucked I missed the GTG at Asim's on Sat.

_____________________________________________
Mostly DIY Home Theater Space - In progress
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-gen...sement-ht.html
NWCgrad is offline  
post #1042 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
The Volt-10LX will eventually just replace the Volt-10.
I must have missed it. What's new on the Volt-10LX compared to the old Volt-10?
dwaleke is online now  
post #1043 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 AM
Senior Member
 
mikela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 347
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcohen View Post
So many options. So little info on differences. Any thoughts on how to decide?

Volt 8
Volt 10
Volt 10LX
Concentric 8
Reaction CX-8
Also > Reaction CX-8 Be
mikela is online now  
post #1044 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Erich H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cincinnati OH
Posts: 5,982
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I must have missed it. What's new on the Volt-10LX compared to the old Volt-10?
Some small woofer changes, the main cosmetic one being a black cone for the guys that don't like the blue cone.

Then MTG90 and I decided it was fine to use some extra crossover parts to smooth things out a little more in the frequency response if people were looking for something to use as main speakers.

The regular Volt-10 and the new Volt-10LX are both great for surround sound speakers. The LX would be for people that didn't mind spending the extra money to smooth things out a little more for front speakers, or felt like spending a little extra for their surrounds.

After adding up parts, the cost of the LX really wasn't that much more per kit. If by some chance people lean more towards the LX, then I can talk to Eminence and see if ordering a larger number would knock off $5 or so on the coaxial to get the price even lower.

Don't underestimate the small compression driver on these. They're small due to the neo magnets but any designer that has worked with them was very impressed. I'm pretty sure the woofer will give out before the compression driver.

_______________________
The SEOS Waveguide Project
Erich H is online now  
post #1045 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 867
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H View Post
Some small woofer changes, the main cosmetic one being a black cone for the guys that don't like the blue cone.

Then MTG90 and I decided it was fine to use some extra crossover parts to smooth things out a little more in the frequency response if people were looking for something to use as main speakers.

The regular Volt-10 and the new Volt-10LX are both great for surround sound speakers. The LX would be for people that didn't mind spending the extra money to smooth things out a little more for front speakers, or felt like spending a little extra for their surrounds.

After adding up parts, the cost of the LX really wasn't that much more per kit. If by some chance people lean more towards the LX, then I can talk to Eminence and see if ordering a larger number would knock off $5 or so on the coaxial to get the price even lower.

Don't underestimate the small compression driver on these. They're small due to the neo magnets but any designer that has worked with them was very impressed. I'm pretty sure the woofer will give out before the compression driver.
Thank you for the details.

I'm a fan of the Volt 10. I use them as my side surrounds and I think they are great. Now that I know they are even better I may move the current ones to the ceiling and pick up a new pair of the LX.
dwaleke is online now  
post #1046 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
rhodesj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Does the woofer on the LX perform differently than the standard Beta 10CX? Or perhaps the question I'd really ask is, can I upgrade my existing Volt 10s with the LX crossover?
rhodesj is online now  
post #1047 of 1048 Old 02-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member
 
michaelddd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 563
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalock View Post
Hummm... 90min / 1034 posts = 689.33 post per hour
= 11.638 post per min
= 5.155 seconds per post.

That is assuming that you worked at 100% efficiency, which (we all know) isn't possible...

So, I call bull$hit.

Replace "reading" with "skimming" and I'll believe you.

^Science....Boom....
Luckily for me, convincing you isn't on my list of things to do today. And of course, I "skimmed" each post, paying more attention to any post with pics or graphs. Half of posts are quotes from previous posts in the same thread.


This thread still rocks. And I purchased 4 of the Volt-10 LXs today. I'm sure I'll be very happy with them. It was just fate that the Volt-8s were out of stock on the website this past Saturday.
popalock likes this.
michaelddd is offline  
post #1048 of 1048 Old 02-03-2015, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dtsdig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 1,298
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesj View Post
Does the woofer on the LX perform differently than the standard Beta 10CX? Or perhaps the question I'd really ask is, can I upgrade my existing Volt 10s with the LX crossover?
This is what I would like to know as well.
dtsdig is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off