My custom Funk Audio (Funky Waves) DBD12 Subwoofers - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 79 Old 08-29-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry mate hadn't read your complete thread. That should not be a problem with two off these duals with room gain. I have to say I was really impressed with a single ported version off this sub in the monolith from BK Electronics here in the UK. I have watch transformers, the matrix, pulse etc.. with this sub and it was incredible for the money so you should have a great experience mate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 79 Old 08-29-2011, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post

I think Nathan needs a new camera Seems there is a lot of noise on the black, and I'm not even a photographer. So I can't tell how good/bad it is. Or maybe it's not noise and it's really bad, doubt that though.

Camera is good, but those are just quick shop shots, bad lighting etc. I'm by no means a good photographer either.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #33 of 79 Old 08-30-2011, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Sorry mate hadn't read your complete thread. That should not be a problem with two off these duals with room gain. I have to say I was really impressed with a single ported version off this sub in the monolith from BK Electronics here in the UK. I have watch transformers, the matrix, pulse etc.. with this sub and it was incredible for the money so you should have a great experience mate.

Thanks. I'm thinking of using these as mid bass bins down the road when I upgrade again. They should be capable around 200-300hz.

David Budo
post #34 of 79 Old 08-31-2011, 03:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was playing with WinIsd this morning for the first time. Are the plots groundplane? It said a single cabinet at 2m should be able to deliver 96db @ 20hz and 107db @ 80hz with 400W.

David Budo
post #35 of 79 Old 09-02-2011, 04:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's one of the completed subs:

I think it looks incredible! Yes, I realize the monster LMS 5400 makes my sub look wimpy.

Nathan said he's doing measurements and testing yesterday and today. He'll be shipping them out early next week. I'm too excited right now.

David Budo
post #36 of 79 Old 09-02-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Awesome! I look forward to your impressions of the peerless.
post #37 of 79 Old 09-02-2011, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks tuxedocivic!

I just got measurements from Nathan and they look great! I'll post them when I get home.

David Budo
post #38 of 79 Old 09-03-2011, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here are the frequency sweeps he took from 90db to 105db. Looks really good to me! His room is 7000 cu ft, the subs were 1m from each corner and 4m apart with the mic 11' away. These are the subs only with a 90hz lowpass filter.

Looks like they're +/- 3db from 20hz-80hz in his room.

He also took one sweep with the subs in the same place and the mic between them so they are each 2m from it.

Can't wait to see how much gain I'll get from having them 7' apart in an open apartment less than half the size of his room.

David Budo
post #39 of 79 Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 72
That's one hell of a peak @ 75Hz!

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #40 of 79 Old 09-03-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Peaks are better than nulls! And that's a room mode no doubt. Looks great!!!
post #41 of 79 Old 09-06-2011, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

That's one hell of a peak @ 75Hz!

Quote:

Peaks are better than nulls! And that's a room mode no doubt. Looks great!!!

Looks like a definite room mode to me as well. It doesn't show up in the sweeps taken 11' away, but I won't know if it's an issue until I get them home. My processor allows me to cut one frequency down. So either way, it shouldn't be a problem.

David Budo
post #42 of 79 Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM

If I had time I would do some ground plane measurments, way too busy right now though. The XLS drivers do sound very good, I am impressed with them.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #43 of 79 Old 09-08-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just received the tracking number from Nathan!

David Budo
post #44 of 79 Old 09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I need to get some building tips from Funky Waves. Always nice cabinets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #45 of 79 Old 09-12-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, his cabinet work always looks incredible. I can't wait to examine these guys in person. They'll be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

David Budo
post #46 of 79 Old 09-12-2011, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Subs are at the Loomis facility about 30km from my apartment, which means I'll have my arms around them tomorrow.

David Budo
post #47 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The subs arrived yesterday and man are they gorgeous! I'm still letting them warm up before doing any serious listening, but so far, they sound fantastic. Here are some pictures of the unpacking process that I took with my Blackberry. Please excuse the quality...

The delivery

The EP4000

Subs needing unpacking

Double boxed

Great packing protection

Freedom!

Rears with speakon inputs, which I think are fantastic!

And my humble, temporary setup

I'll write a review as by the end of the week.

David Budo
post #48 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Those look fantastic!

I think the Peerless drivers you picked were an excellent choice btw.
post #49 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Very awesome.

Again, looking forward to your impressions of the Peerless.

How about the finish? Camera phone isn't giving us the goods Nice packing job, sheesh
post #50 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Velocity View Post

Those look fantastic!

I think the Peerless drivers you picked were an excellent choice btw.

Thanks, I think the Peerless drivers are fantastic for the current living space. Tight bass down to 20hz and more than enough output above. Again, I always like to let drivers loosen up before really putting them through the paces.

Quote:

Very awesome.

Again, looking forward to your impressions of the Peerless.

How about the finish? Camera phone isn't giving us the goods Nice packing job, sheesh

Sorry about that. I'll take some better pics with my girlfriend's phone (better camera).

I did a quick listen to my Queen Rock Montreal dvd concert, Nora Jones Austin City Limits concert, Star Trek blu ray, and Tron: Legacy blu ray. Great punch from the Queen concert, and detailed bass from the Nora Jones bass guitar. I can always tell when the bass is in the 20hz range as the room rattling begins. I loved the punch I got when the Enterprise and the other Star Fleet ships are hitting warp. Tron: Legacy has more bass than I possibly realized when I reviewed it last year! When the carriers take off, it's unbelievable. The great thing about the setup is near-field nature of the setup. With output barely over 100db, the tactile sensation is fantastic. I'm looking forward to doing more listening over the next few days and reporting back my findings in a more in depth write up.

David Budo
post #51 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbuudo07 View Post

The subs arrived yesterday and man are they gorgeous! I'm still letting them warm up before doing any serious listening, but so far, they sound fantastic. Here are some pictures of the unpacking process that I took with my Blackberry.

Nathan does a great job making sure his creations actually arrive to their destinations in one piece.

Quote:

And my humble, temporary setup

Better than most. You may get some benefits if you can move your equipment rack away from the front speakers. Whether that's possible or not is an issue, of course.

I'll write a review as by the end of the week.[/quote]

Quote:

Thanks, I think the Peerless drivers are fantastic for the current living space.

You can stop that sentence at "fantastic."

Yes, they have a shorter throw than some. With four, that's not an issue.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #52 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

They have a "rated" shorter throw, but unlike many drivers out there they are conservatively spec'ed, rather than optimistically spec'ed. The throw on them is very good, especially the mechanical travel is a good margin over the linear travel, for a nice safe overdrive behavior.

Nathan Funk
Funk Audio
post #53 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nathan does a great job making sure his creations actually arrive to their destinations in one piece.

Better than most. You may get some benefits if you can move your equipment rack away from the front speakers. Whether that's possible or not is an issue, of course.

I'll write a review as by the end of the week.

You can stop that sentence at "fantastic."

Thanks a lot DS-21. I would like to move it further away, but I don't have much space. I could manage an inch or two, but nothing that would make a considerable difference, unfortunately.

Yes, I agree on the Peerless drivers. What I meant was, I'd prefer to have a pair of dual opposed LMS 5400 or Mach 5 Pi-18 subs, but the Peerless subs are giving exactly what I need right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

They have a "rated" shorter throw, but unlike many drivers out there they are conservatively spec'ed, rather than optimistically spec'ed. The throw on them is very good, especially the mechanical travel is a good margin over the linear travel, for a nice safe overdrive behavior.

Interesting. I don't see much online about these drivers being used, but I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to those who's application could use them.

David Budo
post #54 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Waves View Post

True. While they legitimately don't have the throw of most of the TC Sounds woofers, the old Exodus Shiva-X, Aura NS12, or JBL W12GTi, it's definitely worth noting what four of them and relatively moderate power can do...

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #55 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True. While they legitimately don't have the throw of most of the TC Sounds woofers, the old Exodus Shiva-X, Aura NS12, or JBL W15GTi, it's definitely worth noting what four of them and relatively moderate power can do...

That's crazy stuff! While I won't be getting the gain of having all four drivers in the same cabinet, it's good to know what these guys are capable of. Maybe I'll upgrade the amp down the road to see if that makes any improvements, but so far, I'm very pleased.

David Budo
post #56 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I think those subs look awesome. I think if I hadn't ordered my new subs thats exactly what I would want for subs. They are powerful and yet small. SO the wifey would definitely like them.

Awesome set up. What are the drivers power rated for? As in is your amp the limiting factor?

post #57 of 79 Old 09-14-2011, 07:14 PM

Liked: 13
Very nice build! What is the net volume on the cabs? Assuming 3/4" material, I calculated a bit over 2cf? If so, this is an awesome build for those that are space constrained. Question about powering them with the EP4000: how much power is each driver seeing? Thanks for sharing the pictures!

-Dave

[in storage]

[dismantled]
post #58 of 79 Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrapladm View Post
I think those subs look awesome. I think if I hadn't ordered my new subs thats exactly what I would want for subs. They are powerful and yet small. SO the wifey would definitely like them.

Awesome set up. What are the drivers power rated for? As in is your amp the limiting factor?
Thank you very much. They are rated at 300W RMS and 425W peak. Each cabinet is wired for a 2ohm load, for which the EP4000 can deliver about 800W according to the amplifier measurement thread. Just wonder if another amp may sound better. Not in any hurry to try, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykz34 View Post
Very nice build! What is the net volume on the cabs? Assuming 3/4" material, I calculated a bit over 2cf? If so, this is an awesome build for those that are space constrained. Question about powering them with the EP4000: how much power is each driver seeing? Thanks for sharing the pictures!
It is around 2cf. They're each seeing aroung 400W. I'll be taking some better pictures on Sunday.

David Budo
post #59 of 79 Old 09-15-2011, 04:52 PM

Liked: 10
The bracing in these things looks great! Wish I had a workshop to pull something like this off... actually, I wish I had the woodworking skills to pull this off!
post #60 of 79 Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindbug View Post

The bracing in these things looks great! Wish I had a workshop to pull something like this off... actually, I wish I had the woodworking skills to pull this off!

That's what I used to think, but doing a decent job even with little expertise isn't has hard as you would think!

Great looking speakers DB ... did Nathan provide any sweeps without the 90hz pass? Curious how these drivers perform beyond 100hz?

My DIY Subs ...

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page