Forum Jump: 

Old 08-16-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Everybody,

I've recently started playing around with WinISD 0.44 to model some speakers i plan to use as surrounds. I've got some Aurasound NS3's arriving today and i'm hoping to start construction soon. I had decided on a sealed enclosure but figured i'd play around with vented designs to see what happened.

I grabbed params from here, but they look the same on the Aurosound site:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-silver-cone/

I did not see a value listed for Le. Is it easily calculated from other values provided? The EE equation for a multilayer coil inductance calculation seems to need a little more information (about turn count, etc...) than the speaker params give? Maybe there's another relevant equation that i'm missing.

Regardless of Le - i get the same default box design from WinISD for the vented enclosure : 4.3l tuned to 53.8Hz. This would be fine except that the port size is 4" diameter with a 73" length. If i choose the smallest port diameter of 1.85" i still get a port length of almost 15".

Can anyone confirm that i'm SOL for this design? It seems like it would be rough to fit a 15" long port in a 4 liter box unless i put a few kinks in it. A slot port requires similar lengths.

Am i doing soemthing wrong or is this speaker just not going to fit in a reasonably sized vented box with a reasonably sized port?

Thanks
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You don't have to choose a diameter from the drop down, just click on the box and type in your own. Try a 1" dia., that should drop you down to like 4" long. Double check port air velocity but I would think 1" is fine for a 3" driver. You can also mess with port tuning frequency and check out freq response, port velocity, and port length.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

ah - great, thanks a lot.

i thought the smallest port diameter listed in the drop down was the smallest recommended for use for a speaker/box combination. but i guess the 'Vent Mach' factor can still be green for smaller diameters. 1" diameter does drop down to under 4" length

thanks a lot,
joe
Old 02-09-2012, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I hate to revive an, old old, thread, but here goes.

I have a few of these NS3 (4 ohm version) and in plotting programs I'm seeing they'll extend very nicely, exaxtly like you already discussesd, but...

I've been told the NS3s aren't suitable for porting as they won't extend down low enough to work with port tuning, and they are easy to blow in a vented (non-sealed) enclosure.

I was ready to start with my project untill I got my bad news. Did you build and how did it work out?

TIA

Dave
Old 02-10-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlarkin_dc View Post

I hate to revive an, old old, thread, but here goes.

I have a few of these NS3 (4 ohm version) and in plotting programs I'm seeing they'll extend very nicely, exaxtly like you already discussesd, but...

I've been told the NS3s aren't suitable for porting as they won't extend down low enough to work with port tuning, and they are easy to blow in a vented (non-sealed) enclosure.

I was ready to start with my project untill I got my bad news. Did you build and how did it work out?

TIA

Dave

Hey. If you haven't seen the related build thread with some measurements you can check it out:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...uick+and+dirty

Overall I was rather disappointed with the results, especially since the box was larger than i wanted for my surround placement. As a single-driver with no filtering, i was probably just expecting too much.

I did end up redesigning a vented box for the Aura's and built one, but i never reported on it. I did some quick measurements and from what i remember it was no better than the sealed effort - can't remember the details tho. I used right-angle cuts + pvc glue to get the long ports to fit in the shallow box and that might have killed it. I've seen that done before but didn't research much into what impact it has on performance. Both the sealed and vented boxes were not my best effort and both were probably leaky which could have contributed to the lack of performance.

I'm not sure if i saved any pics or details on the vented design - or any of the measurements. I"ll try to look around over the weekend and share anything i find.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:32 AM

That's very kind of you - Thanks!

Seems like exactly what I was looking at doing. I'm planning a very compact vented (3.5-4.0 liter) 2-way to get a cleaner top end. But if the NS3-193 isn't going to dig deep as planned or be happy doing it I might be SOL.

I suspect we're looking at a case real world performance not matching the driver specs.

I look forward to what you find.

Thanks!
Old 02-10-2012, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Ok, i managed to dig some stuff up. I've put my findings in the original thread for consistency.

Not sure how helpful it will all be for you. My tests showed no real benefit to going vented but i freely admit it could have been due largely to design and construction flaws.

The sealed design sounded fine - not stellar, but fine. I would have used them but they ended up looking too big for the space. When i decided to try a low-profile build i figured i might as well try a vented design. That would have actually fit the space better, but i gave up on the entire project due to lack of spare time around then.

Hope your experience turns out better than mine. Be sure to post a design/build thread when your project gets under way - please post a link in this thread or pm me so i can follow along.

Good luck,
Joe
Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 PM

Thanks for posting that extra info.Your Q&D Sat thread has been very enlightening.

The closed and vented box FR data sure show what the NS3 is really capable of, and it's limitations. It's a cost effective driver.

I'll proabaly jump in and build a quick and dirty enclosure and test it by ear, comparing it to my old nasty Samsung surrounds. Open air, the NS3 has plenty of detail. Maybe I'll use them up as mid range drivers ultimately, or throw a cheap tweeter in with them in that closed cabinet.

Again, thanks!

Dave
Old 02-23-2012, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

No problem, hope it gave you some insight.

Looking back at the curves, i almost don't believe them... i seriously don't know how the sealed and vented layouts could be so similar. If i hadn't already thrown out the vented enclosure in frustration i would be tempted to run another set of tests. I'm starting another build shortly - maybe i'll throw together a new test box while i'm waiting for glue to dry or something, just to see what happens.

The NS3 is pretty impressive tho.... not bad from 100-10K from a single relatively cheap driver.

Good luck,
Joe