a diy vs a ID sub - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Behringer is known for putting peak power on the box. For instance the ep4000 puts out around 700 per channel at 4 ohms. Youay need to get a 3000 at least to even come close to 1000 watts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-31-2011, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by gperkins1973 View Post

Just to double check, your volume sizes are different. Are your 3 ports the same length too. When I did my multi tune I made sure all ports were the same length and just reduced the number of ports in winisd one by one as I have 3 tunes. Also what is your port velocity on the lower tune.

the difference in volume b/n tunes is because I added the volume of the plugged port back into the effective enclosure size. I dont have the models on this pc so I will have to double check but i believe the max port velocity on the lower tune was approx 34 m/s at 1000 watts of power (which i am not sure the power will actually hit those numbers) Figured at 1/3 of the rated power the port velocity was in the low 20's m/s. I also am using same length for all ports.
post #33 of 36 Old 08-31-2011, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
My low tune with 1000 watts off input power models over 40 m/s velocity and I haven't hear one ounce off port chuffing even at near reference so I wouldn't be concerned with 34 m/s too much if you wanted to take to the 1000 watts. I never bothered allowing for the extra volume for the ports blocked as it didn't make much difference. The only time I did was for when I run sealed which did give a bit off extra volume.
post #34 of 36 Old 09-21-2012, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well its been a year and I did buy that svs pc12. I can say that it met my expectations but I couldnt quit thinking how a diy would have performed. So over the labor day weekend I ordered the plans for the tht sub by bfm loudspeakers and built the thing in 3 days. I finally got the recommended Dayton 15 HF mounted and broke it in over the last few days and man you cant knock the smile off of my face.

It really isnt any comparison to the svs but i think that could be expected with a larger driver and tremendously larger box. I am powering it with a Harmon Kardon Signature series amp that I have had for 15 years that is conservatively rated 250watts at 4 ohms. I am running bridged so I dont know if that doubles the rated output or not. With the volt meter I have seen voltages hit as high as 40 volts instantaneously when testing limits of the sub while playing DTS Track, Transformer RotF. I know that is probably to much but the sub didnt make any bad noises what so ever. I have dailed it back down until the largest bump recorded was 28volts.

I really didnt know bass could get this good. My wife is ready to kill me but I am already planning on the next build. I havent settled on what, but I am interested in that new Dayton 18.

I walled off a closet that faced the living room and built equipment shelving and opening for my 60" TV that is flush mounted with the wall. The THT is placed behind the TV so it is completely hidden from the room. There is probably enough room for one more tht if I keep it down to about 24 wide. I also have empty corner in the rear of the room that would look good sporting a sub. Although being in the room, my wife would probably appreciate something more appealing than the 36" cube that currently sits behind the tv.

I took very few build pics because I really didnt expect to have such good results and get so excited about building another sub. Oh yea, thanks BFM for the easy detailed plans and great joy that you given me.

Painting the mouth before closing the box.

doubled the baffle, Just made me feel better:)

volt
post #35 of 36 Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Welcome to the addiction.
post #36 of 36 Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 133
THT is a good sub. If you are on a budget, just build another. You get an extra 6dB down low, and can place them to cancel room modes. I did.

If budget is not tight, multiple sealed.

JSS
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page