calling ANY sketchup/design artists!!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 717
ok so I was playing around with cutlist tonight and was trying to get the dimensions down right for the coaxial build that Im working on. my problem, Im not an engineer... haha

anyone that might want to assist me with getting the box dimensions correct, please help!!! I want a box with a slanted front baffle to allow a good angle down to the seating position and would love for some help to find the correct panel dimensions so I can plug them into cutlist and get started!!

the dimensions, using 3/4 inch auruco are as follows:

rear and top panels should have a 12x12 inch layout, tapering to an 8 inch bottom panel, and whatever size the front baffle needs to be to accommodate. the side panels will obviously be oddly shaped with the taper from 12 to 8 inches. there will also need to be a slightly longer rear panel than a straight 12x12 to allow for the angle cut necessary to flush it up with the front baffle (which will also need probably an extra 1/4 inch for the same purpose)

If this is too much to ask, ill go trial by error, my mind just doesnt think in these ways and trying to draw it up on paper has been futile so far.

thanks if anyone is willing to lend a hand.

also, considering the 3/4" depth of the ply, the front baffle would probably fit into the interior of the bottom/LR/top panels with the side panels, looking from outside the box, the sides that have no panels tapped on top but rather onto the sides of the panel. if that makes any sense

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 09:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
i don't know anything about sketchup, so let's just skip to final photos...r u wanting this or not?

eas microwedge

http://www.eaw.com/products/microwedge/
LL

Listen. It's All Good.
post #3 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Why not just draw it to scale on paper?

Roger

post #4 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can you draw a rough with dimensions so we can see what it looks like.
post #5 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Looking for something like this?

Simple Sketchup attached.
LL

beastaudio coax box.zip 14.25390625k . file

Hornresp Tutorials (By amateurs, for amateurs!)

post #6 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked: 1021
lilmike, that looks like what he was talking about. once you master sketchup, how long does it take to create a simple picture such as the one that you posted above? just curious.

Listen. It's All Good.
post #7 of 22 Old 08-24-2011, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 View Post

lilmike, that looks like what he was talking about. once you master sketchup, how long does it take to create a simple picture such as the one that you posted above? just curious.

Master? Sketchup? Me?

Seriously?

I think that took me a bit less than 20 minutes to whip up. I started after reading Roger Dressler's post, and posted the drawing at 10:20.

Believe me, I am no master, not by a long shot, but I do have a LOT of hours invested in learning all about how not to use Sketchup.....

post #8 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Beast, I'm not a master, but do use sketchup. Got a deal for you...you come over, I'll give you the sketchup drawing you want and you give me some REW lessons and measurements of my room.

We could also do a sketchup of your entire room to help you study that new AT screen you're putting in!

The "Twinseltown" Theater

post #9 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
One day I'm going to try and learn sketchup. I started playing with it one day and like most guys didn't read about it first, got to a point I needed help then went and looked at their manual and my god! I can promise that building the entire line of Ford cars that year would have took less paperwork! I gave up right then. Didn't want to put an entire set's worth of encyclopedias in my head just to learn a program. I will some day though.

post #10 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Sketchup is easy to learn. Just follow the step by step video tutorials and hey presto! your a master. Best free program on the planet. The version I found had a whole bundle off plugins too. Wicked! That drawing should take no longer than 5-10 mins. I can normally design a whole sub in about 30-40 mins normally.
post #11 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

Looking for something like this?

Simple Sketchup attached.

Thanks lilmike! That is exactly what Im looking for. is there anyway that sketchup would be able to derive the front baffle size by giving all the other dimensions? and also the cutout size of each panel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post

Beast, I'm not a master, but do use sketchup. Got a deal for you...you come over, I'll give you the sketchup drawing you want and you give me some REW lessons and measurements of my room.

We could also do a sketchup of your entire room to help you study that new AT screen you're putting in!

haha DEAL!!! ill be in touch soon actually as Im heading down that way within the next two weeks for a client meeting and might could stop by afterwards.

post #12 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Thanks lilmike! That is exactly what Im looking for. is there anyway that sketchup would be able to derive the front baffle size by giving all the other dimensions? and also the cutout size of each panel?
Certainly.

See attached.

beastaudio coax box exploded.zip 12.119140625k . file

post #13 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

As drawn, the total internal volume is 932.65 cubic inches, or about 0.54 cubic feet.

post #14 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmike View Post

As drawn, the total internal volume is 932.65 cubic inches, or about 0.54 cubic feet.

I was shooting for a half cube anyways so that is great! That was one thing I had calculated was the approximate internal volume.

When I get home I will try and mess around with sketchup some. Id like to make all the other panels all flush up to the side panels so you wont see the layers of ply, since ill probably be doing some magnetic type speaker screen on the front, that would be the best place to have all the panels show. This will also aid in the cutlist rips as the front, back, top and bottom panels will all have the same width how hard is this to do?

Thanks again lil mike

post #15 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is one to start with.

You can pull dimensions with the tools in Sketchup.

Happy I could help out with this one - I am very interested in your results.

beastaudio coax box 2.zip 11.1787109375k . file

post #16 of 22 Old 08-25-2011, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

Ill check that as soon as I get home!! Thanks man! I will definitely post the build progress with pics and then response graphs upon completion, I too will really have trouble measuring them outdoor GP unfortunately. I still think we will get a decent reading on them in my room @1m.

post #17 of 22 Old 08-26-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

How do you get the exploded view of all the panels like the previous one you posted LilMike?

post #18 of 22 Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
I posted it over at techtalk, but some of you may be interested in AutoDesk 123D. It's in beta, but pretty interesting. Feels a lot like Solidworks, Inventor, Pro-E, etc. Probably less user-friendly than SketchUp, but still pretty simple if you ask me (disclaimer: I use Inventor at work haha).

-Tim
post #19 of 22 Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
How do you get the exploded view of all the panels like the previous one you posted LilMike?
Each panel is a separate component in the drawing. That way you can select any of the panels individually, move it where you want it, and rotate it as you need it.

I used the Select Tool, the Move Tool, and the Rotate Tool to align them the way I did, took just a couple of minutes.

All of the tools are detailed here:

SketchUp User's Guide

post #20 of 22 Old 08-26-2011, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
The Truth Hz

i actually just measured them in place with the tape measure tool. I just updated the build thread with the sketchup and cutlist

post #21 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

is there anyway that sketchup would be able to derive the front baffle size by giving all the other dimensions?

A²+B²=C² A=4 (12"-8") and B = 12" so C = 12.65"

Quote:

and also the cutout size of each panel?

That depends on how you want it to fit together. If you want a panel to fit inside others, subtract 1.5" (using 3/4" material) off the overall dimension. So if the exterior dimension is 12" and you have the panel inside two sides, the panel will be cut to 10.5".

YID DIY
post #22 of 22 Old 08-27-2011, 08:13 AM

Liked: 10
Also, be aware that if you measure the front of the front panel, the size won't be correct. Each of those top and bottom edges are cut at an angle, so you need your "squared" material to be larger to accommodate that. Easy to figure out in sketchup, but just something else to think about.

Best,
Chris
Reply DIY Speakers and Subs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page